DisneylandForward

PiratesMansion

That’s a good thing right? The HKDL version looks pretty great to me and would probably fit with Disneylands scale better. I’m not sure what the cancelled TDS one looks like.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but Tokyo spends more money vs. the other parks. MUCH more money. And their Frozen attraction isn't just going to be a FEA clone in the way that the HK and Paris Frozen attractions will be. Granted, HK's also getting a coaster, but that ride's gonna be short.

It's true that HKDL's scale in general is a better fit for DL than anything at TDS.

But for me personally, if I had the choice between a Tokyo version of an attraction or a Hong Kong version, even though I love what has been produced for Hong Kong, I'd take Tokyo's every time.

Nland316

We're 100% getting the HKDL Frozen port if one comes at all.
I really wouldn’t mind the land coming over, in fact I’d encourage it. I would however mind if the Maelstrom overlay were cloned for a 3rd time in DL’s limited expansion pads.

Ideally we get HDKL Arendelle + an exclusive attraction.

mickEblu

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but Tokyo spends more money vs. the other parks. MUCH more money. And their Frozen attraction isn't just going to be a FEA clone in the way that the HK and Paris Frozen attractions will be. Granted, HK's also getting a coaster, but that ride's gonna be short.

It's true that HKDL's scale in general is a better fit for DL than anything at TDS.

But for me personally, if I had the choice between a Tokyo version of an attraction or a Hong Kong version, even though I love what has been produced for Hong Kong, I'd take Tokyo's every time.

Right I wasn’t thinking about that ride. Just about the land but of course it’s only reasonable to assume that if the land was a HK clone that the ride would be too. If this were going in Disneyland proper we’d be better off with the HK clone IMO. If it’s going in the DL Forward plots then scale really doesn’t matter and it might as well be the one with the better ride.

TP2000

All this discussion has done is make me oddly thankful that Covid cancelled by big planned Fall, 2020 visit to Japan.

It's been postponed several times now, and on the back burner (but the bigger back burner), as I'm still waiting for Japan to get their it together and drop all their mask and Covid weirdness protocols. If I'm going to pay a premium to All Nippon Airways and some spendy hotels, I want to see people's smiling faces when I do it, not feel like I'm an extra in a bad SciFi movie.

But when I do return to Japan, and Tokyo Disneyland, in 2024 or '25, it now sounds like there's going to be several new rides that never would have been there in 2020. And because it's Tokyo instead of Anaheim or Florida, that will actually be a good thing instead of a cringey thing.

At this point, with how nice Viking Cruises has been to me lately, I may just wait for the 2025 World's Fair in Osaka for my next Japan visit. Assuming I survive that long. :rolleyes:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think people will walk as they do between the current two parks and Downtown Disney from wherever they park. It's not any further out. Its within the existing footprint of the Resort that I walk all the time.

They will have to have buses from the Toy Story lot expansion back to the main Resort area as they currently do, but again, i don't expect anything built between the areas.

Now IF they take over GardenWalk (which they should have done a long time ago), my opinion may change. If they have that thoroughfare, it might be worth expanding the monorail's footprint all around the area. (Which i wish would happen but think it's going to take more than the current plans to push that big of a build-out of transportation.)

But otherwise, no, I do not expect a Hogwarts train from one area to the other. ;)
Thank you for your opinions on this other infrastructure stuff. I don't expect most of this other stuff you're talking about either.

SSG

Part of DL Forward is developing the Toy Story lot into......something. But, other than walking, how would people get there? I'm having a hard time visualizing any transportation--other than surface street busses-- or even a bridge between the current DLR property and whatever goes into Toy Story.

This screenshot is southeast DCA at the upper left, and northwest Toy Story at the lower right. And in-between (corner of Harbor and Katella) are all manner of hotels, shops and businesses. How would you put a People Mover or even a simple bridge there? As other have remarked, Anaheim wants fewer busses on the streets, not more. So what's a viable non-multi billion dollar answer?

Toy Story.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Part of DL Forward is developing the Toy Story lot into......something. But, other than walking, how would people get there? I'm having a hard time visualizing any transportation--other than surface street busses-- or even a bridge between the current DLR property and whatever goes into Toy Story.

This screenshot is southeast DCA at the upper left, and northwest Toy Story at the lower right. And in-between (corner of Harbor and Katella) are all manner of hotels, shops and businesses. How would you put a People Mover or even a simple bridge there? As other have remarked, Anaheim wants fewer busses on the streets, not more. So what's a viable non-multi billion dollar answer?

View attachment 744011
I don't have the specific section in the EIR at the moment, maybe someone can look it up, but it mentions possibly extending the Monorail over to the new entertainment/shopping district under consideration for Toy Story lot.

I know some don't like to believe something like this is possible, and yeah it may never happen, but its mentioned in the report.

SSG

I don't have the specific section in the EIR at the moment, maybe someone can look it up, but it mentions possibly extending the Monorail over to the new entertainment/shopping district under consideration for Toy Story lot.

I know some don't like to believe something like this is possible, and yeah it may never happen, but its mentioned in the report.
I don't disagree that it could be done. It just seems prohibitively difficult and expensive. What are they going to do; route the Monorail down the center of Harbor and make a left at Katella?

el_super

Part of DL Forward is developing the Toy Story lot into......something. But, other than walking, how would people get there?

The concept had parking adjacent no? I think the plan is to pull locals out of the resort core and have them focused on the new Downtown Disney concept there. Maybe that diffuses some of the traffic around the resort core (on Harbor and West st) but then moves some vehicles over to Katella, Haster and Orange? Better utilizing those offramps too.

Disney might run a shuttle bus for the existing hotel properties, but I don't think they're going to be worried about how day guests get over there from the esplanade.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't disagree that it could be done. It just seems prohibitively difficult and expensive. What are they going to do; route the Monorail down the center of Harbor and make a left at Katella?
I'm sure they could do any number of things. Obviously we're still in the vague concepts phase of this, but they appear to have ideas on how to accomplish this. As this moves forward to being approved by the City, and more formal plans emerge, I'm sure we'll hear about it.

But since the pillars for the Monorail don't take up much space, its really only the right-of-way that would need to be approved and the will to do it.

SSG

I'm sure they could do any number of things. Obviously we're still in the vague concepts phase of this, but they appear to have ideas on how to accomplish this. As this moves forward to being approved by the City, and more formal plans emerge, I'm sure we'll hear about it.

But since the pillars for the Monorail don't take up much space, its really only the right-of-way that would need to be approved and the will to do it.
I guess what could be done is get a right-of-way over Harbor and turn into the southern end of Toy Story. The mono needs to make a wide, lazy turn. Still, lots of money to do this.

Screenshot (29).png

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I guess what could be done is get a right-of-way over Harbor and turn into the southern end of Toy Story. Still, lots of money to do this.

View attachment 744027
They don’t really need a solution at this time. They’re trying to cover all their bases. This whole effort is a waste of time if they come up with something in the future and then have to go back to the city asking for permission.

Phroobar

I have a feeling that if Disney went forward with Disney Forward it will be done on the cheap like they did with DCA. This management thinks a lot like they did in the Pressler era. Don't expect transportation. We will probably get bridges with a lot of walking. They will expect lots of people and no one will show up. There is no one dynamic enough in charge to do it right. It will be another DCA with emphasis on dining and shopping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom