DisneylandForward

D.Silentu

Interesting? Has this ever been done for these purposes?
Not that I'm aware, but I have seen such windows on buildings and this seemed like a good use to me.
Are you taking about just retrofitting the existing windows on the hotels?
Essentially yes, though I realize there is more to these structures than windows. I don't have a solution for that issue, save for shaving down all ornamental protrusions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not for nothing but Disney has built in-park hotels before.

Just look at the Disneyland Hotel in Paris, it literally acts as the entrance gate to DLP

You can see into the Park from the park facing rooms, like seeing down Main St and into TL, and vice-versa seeing the hotel from within the Park.

So I don't know if they will try to hide sight lines or not, but it has been done before and looks nice from what I've seen.

mickEblu

Just look at the Disneyland Hotel in Paris, it literally acts as the entrance gate to DLP

You can see into the Park from the park facing rooms, like seeing down Main St and into TL, and vice-versa seeing the hotel from within the Park.

So I don't know if they will try to hide sight lines or not, but it has been done before and looks nice from what I've seen.

The park and hotel were built at the same time though. That’s a huge difference.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The park and hotel were built at the same time though. That’s a huge difference.
I agree its a difference but not a huge difference, in my opinion.

Themed elements can be added to the hotels and any future surrounding lands to make things blend naturally. That is if it really is something of concern to Disney. Like with DLP Hotel you can see inside the Park, and see the hotel from within the Park, in fact its a huge selling point of the hotel. So they may just use it as a selling point to be able to see inside the Parks.

But who knows, we're not even at that point yet with this.

mickEblu

I agree its a difference but not a huge difference, in my opinion.

Themed elements can be added to the hotels and any future surrounding lands to make things blend naturally. That is if it really is something of concern to Disney. Like with DLP Hotel you can see inside the Park, and see the hotel from within the Park, in fact its a huge selling point of the hotel. So they may just use it as a selling point to be able to see inside the Parks.

But who knows, we're not even at that point yet with this.

Wait, i thought they were breaking ground in 2024? 😉

I think it’s a pretty huge difference to build a hotel with the park simultaneously vs having 5 towers that you have to build around and need to hide from the park after the fact.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wait, i thought they were breaking ground in 2024? 😉

I think it’s a pretty huge difference to build a hotel with the park simultaneously vs having 5 towers that you have to build around and need to hide from the park after the fact.
I wish they would break ground in 2024, then something might actually be done by 2028 for the Olympics.

lazyboy97o

That’s non sense. Of course it matters. They can be overcome but the odds are much slimmer that it will be as successful. And this is 2023 Disney not 1990 Disney.
Those are not actual design constraints. Again, you are conflating your expectations with feasibility and actual limitations. Sightlines can be dealt with in design. It is feasible. It is possible. It is not nonsense. Choosing to do so is a completely separate question.

These areas also won’t be designed by 2023 Disney. There’s a good chance they won’t even be designed at the same time. Even if they are designed at the same time, they will most likely be designed by different teams which means you can have completely different approaches the way Galaxy’s Edge was obsessive about sightlines while the concurrent Toy Story Land being built next door was not very concerned with them.

mickEblu

Those are not actual design constraints. Again, you are conflating your expectations with feasibility and actual limitations. Sightlines can be dealt with in design. It is feasible. It is possible. It is not nonsense. Choosing to do so is a completely separate question.

These areas also won’t be designed by 2023 Disney. There’s a good chance they won’t even be designed at the same time. Even if they are designed at the same time, they will most likely be designed by different teams which means you can have completely different approaches the way Galaxy’s Edge was obsessive about sightlines while the concurrent Toy Story Land being built next door was not very concerned with them.

It’s not a constraint to build a new attraction/ land around an existing tower? Alright I’m good. Sometimes I don’t know if you’re actually interested in discussing these topics or if you just sit around waiting for the opportunity for a “got you” moment.

It won’t be designed by 2023 Disney? I thought they were breaking ground tomorrow.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
It’s not a constraint to build a new attraction/ land around an existing tower? Alright I’m good. Sometimes I don’t know if you’re actually interested in discussing these topics or if you just sit around waiting for the opportunity for a “got you” moment.

It won’t be designed by 2023 Disney? I thought they were breaking ground tomorrow.
I think maybe what is built up in your mind isn't representative to actuality. If we draw a line from one of the closer walkways on the "concept" map to the PP tower, then draw an equal line for reference to a place in DCA:

1694829996179.png

Then look at it in Google Street View:

1694830465033.png

It doesn't really take too tall of trees or building to cover up the hotel. That tree in the back I circled is 130 feet away and it's almost tall enough to cover the PP.

I think they'd be fine on sightlines.

Nland316

I think maybe what is built up in your mind isn't representative to actuality. If we draw a line from one of the closer walkways on the "concept" map to the PP tower, then draw an equal line for reference to a place in DCA:

View attachment 743136

View attachment 743138

It doesn't really take too tall of trees or building to cover up the hotel. That tree in the back I circled is 130 feet away and it's almost tall enough to cover the PP.

I really wish they held off on the Pixar overlay and the DLH DVC tower til they got approval for these plans. It would’ve been neat to build new hotels that were integrated into the park like DLP, GCH, and Miracosta.

mickEblu

View attachment 743136

View attachment 743138

Could totally be a less daunting of a task than it is in my mind. I’d imagine they’ll use trees and clever placement of buildings etc but I still think its probably a little harder to pull this off in 360 than you think. Now how much they actually care is another story.

Consumer

DLR has a built in-park hotel with the Grand Californian and it flows wonderfully, even if it does take up far too much of DCA's expansion space. Obviously the Mira Costa is the prime example of in-park hotel. Could Disney do something like that with the Paradise Pier Hotel? I don't know, but it would certainly be challenging given its height. If Disney wanted to make a land themed to a major metropolis, such as a Marvel NYC themed land, then it could work great, but obviously something like Avatar or Moana would be trickier.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
DLR has a built in-park hotel with the Grand Californian and it flows wonderfully, even if it does take up far too much of DCA's expansion space. Obviously the Mira Costa is the prime example of in-park hotel. Could Disney do something like that with the Paradise Pier Hotel? I don't know, but it would certainly be challenging given its height. If Disney wanted to make a land themed to a major metropolis, such as a Marvel NYC themed land, then it could work great, but obviously something like Avatar or Moana would be trickier.
With something like Avatar a lot of it take place in a forested tropical area, it wouldn't be too hard to add trees with a large enough canopy to block sight lines as needed.

Moana depending on what they go for, the Polynesian island where it takes place all sorts of things such as volcano's, forests, and cloud cover that can be used to hide sight lines again as needed.

mickEblu

I’ve been able to see the Mickey and Friends Parking structure from New Orleans Square/ Frontierland for about 8 years now since they redid the ROA. Something tells me we’ll be able to see the Paradise Pier and Disneyland hotels in the new expansion. Guess we’ll find out when it opens next year.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

View attachment 743136

View attachment 743138

I see on the DCA side there does not appear to be a lot of family rides that are indoor. I hope they change that in the final plans. Or maybe something like that goes into Hollywoodland instead as I feel that area will be addressed long before they get to the parking lot across the street.

PiratesMansion

I see on the DCA side there does not appear to be a lot of family rides that are indoor. I hope they change that in the final plans. Or maybe something like that goes into Hollywoodland instead as I feel that area will be addressed long before they get to the parking lot across the street.
Everything they're showing is 100% hypothetical. I wouldn't take anything in the Disneyland Foward plans as gospel except for what land will be utilized. The attraction mix is just trying to get people excited so that people vote in Disney's favor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom