News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

truecoat

So here's the outline over Disneyland.

Disneyland expansion.jpg

BayouShack

Given their decisions over the past few years... it seems like the DTD parking area was ever considered for Disneyland expansion. I wonder if they still would’ve built the Pixar structure if they were to do it all over again.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well seeing the above graphic makes me realize something -

All of those budget motels along the bottom southern edge of the Simba lot are about to become prime lodging locations if this eventually happens.

The desire to have limited points of access will still be the same as they are today... security, traffic, control points, space, etc. Proximity alone isn't to say there will be access.

J4546

thatd be chill if they expanded and put a nice new theater in the dl expansion that way they could get rid of fantasyland theater and put something good there

DavidNoble

thatd be chill if they expanded and put a nice new theater in the dl expansion that way they could get rid of fantasyland theater and put something good there

So I'm not the only one who didn't understand Mickey and the Magical Map? (I think that's what was at Fantasyland theater the last time I was there, but it could've also been Princess Faire)

TP2000

Well seeing the above graphic makes me realize something -

All of those budget motels along the bottom southern edge of the Simba lot are about to become prime lodging locations if this eventually happens.

The Alamo will, believe it or not, be in heavy demand no doubt...!

:cool:

-

Great point! This is going to shake up the neighboring properties and their logistic selling points a bit.

The Stovall's, of Stovall Best Western fame, live not far from me. It's actually the son and his wife of the original Stovall Sr. who started the motel and property empire over 60 years ago.

Mr. Stovall (the junior) is elderly now, but Mrs. Stovall is a bit younger and is still active in the local community and plays a mean piano at parties and sociables.

They still own all that property along Katella across from Simba, including the locations of the original Stovall's Inns from the 1960's. I've never had the nerve to ask either of them why they can't return at least one of their motel properties to it's fabulous Space Age format, as I know they have invested regularly in their properties and are proud of how they look now (boring, but nice) and proud of their longstanding place and name in the Anaheim Resort District's business community. But I've always wanted to get up the nerve to pitch that idea to Mrs. Stovall after she finishes one of her show stopping piano numbers and is working the room on a euphoric high! 🤣

Wouldn't it be fabulous to get one of these back on Katella?

card00878_fr.jpg

4107133350_b4c1f98887_b.jpg

I mean honestly, just look at that Stovall's Inn of Tomorrow lobby! I would pay top dollar to stay there for a night, wouldn't you?!? :D

6971790467_53d6fb03da_o-1200x821.jpg

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

looks cool, but why not tear down that outdated paradise pier hotel and build something new in that area?
Didn’t someone say that the hotel and property that it sits in is not considered as part of the Disneyland resort boundaries and therefore can not just be torn down

George Lucas on a Bench

Great point! This is going to shake up the neighboring properties and their logistic selling points a bit.

The Stovall's, of Stovall Best Western fame, live not far from me. It's actually the son and his wife of the original Stovall Sr. who started the motel and property empire over 60 years ago.

Mr. Stovall (the junior) is elderly now, but Mrs. Stovall is a bit younger and is still active in the local community and plays a mean piano at parties and sociables.

They still own all that property along Katella across from Simba, including the locations of the original Stovall's Inns from the 1960's. I've never had the nerve to ask either of them why they can't return at least one of their motel properties to it's fabulous Space Age format, as I know they have invested regularly in their properties and are proud of how they look now (boring, but nice) and proud of their longstanding place and name in the Anaheim Resort District's business community. But I've always wanted to get up the nerve to pitch that idea to Mrs. Stovall after she finishes one of her show stopping piano numbers and is working the room on a euphoric high! 🤣

card00878_fr.jpg

I mean honestly, just look at that Stovall's Inn of Tomorrow lobby! I would pay top dollar to stay there for a night, wouldn't you?!? :D

The oft-repeated story is that all this stuff was too tacky, but it clearly is vastly superior to all the junk surrounding Disneyland of present day. We've gone from stuff like this to Captain Kidd's Food Poisoning Buffet, bland hotels that all just sorta blend, homeless bums everywhere, Panda Chinese Food with a crude off-model Looney Tunes mural and the same old crap you can find everywhere else. It's why the gloriously charming Alpine Inn, which has endured decades of de-charmification, feels so incredibly perfectly out of place and obviously superior to everything else in the area.

That new Westin though? I can't deny it's pretty nice.

Ismael Flores

Why not fix Tomorrowland and Hollywood Land first?

And is it just me or does the website make it sound like this will be "expansions" to the existing parks instead of being an outright third park?
Looks like they are being considered as possible expansions, they also supposedly said possibility of new expansion like torn which could possibly mean tomorrowland fixes.
I used to know a few imagineers and they always said the one thing that fans never understood is that you can not invest large amounts to completely fix and build out a park at one time. Doing that would limit them in future additions that are what give incentives to lure people into a gate.
By spreading expansions or additions they can bring in guests to the resort while new budgets are approved for another addition to another gate.

TP2000

Didn’t someone say that the hotel and property that it sits in is not considered as part of the Disneyland resort boundaries and therefore can not just be torn down

Yeah, there's a long convoluted story behind the Paradise Pier Hotel and why it sits there on an island of untouchable land that is exempt from the rest of the planning documents and processes. It's been that way since Disney bought it in the 1990's.

Notice the square white island on Disneyland Drive? That's the Paradise Pier Hotel, and it's exempt from stuff like this.
Document
I've heard this story a few times over the decades from people who would know, and my mind is trying to remember the right version that sifts out some of the urban legend, but it involves the Japanese hotel company that originally bought that land and built that hotel. Their legal agreement on that hotel stretches well into the 21st century, and it's obviously still untouchable per this latest planning proposal.

I wish I could explain it better. But it's also the reason why Yamabuki, the fabulous Japanese restaurant that Disney upgraded in 2009 had to close. The agreement with the Japanese firm dictates they still get a cut of the profits from that hotel and its business, so TDA tried one last time to make Yamabuki profitable by sending it further upscale but it still didn't pencil out and was closed a decade ago. It's also why the lone restaurant in that hotel is a buffet that has a high profit margin, and why the lobby bar that has a low profit margin really stinks.

There's a legal property rights story there, and it's getting lost to the mists of time. But this latest planning document proves the longstanding Paradise Pier Hotel Problem still exists, and the legal agreement with the Japanese is still in effect. There's no good reason to keep that turkey of a hotel otherwise, especially if Disney invests this big in all the property around it.

Last edited:

DavidNoble

Yeah, there's a long convoluted story behind the Paradise Pier Hotel and why it sits there on an island of untouchable land that is exempt from the rest of the planning documents and processes. It's been that way since Disney bought it in the 1990's.

Notice the square white island on Disneyland Drive? That's the Paradise Pier Hotel, and it's exempt from stuff like this.
Document
I've heard this story a few times over the decades from people who would know, and my mind is trying to remember the right version that sifts out some of the urban legend, but it involves the Japanese hotel company that originally bought that land and built that hotel. Their legal agreement on that hotel stretches well into the 21st century, and it's obviously still untouchable per this latest planning proposal.

I wish I could explain it better. But it's also the reason why Yamabuki, the fabulous Japanese restaurant that Disney upgraded in 2009 had to close. The agreement with the Japanese firm dictates they still get a cut of the profits from that hotel and its business, so TDA tried one last time to make Yamabuki profitable by sending it further upscale but it still didn't pencil out and was closed a decade ago. It's also why the lone restaurant in that hotel is a buffet that has a high profit margin, and why the lobby bar that has a low profit margin really stinks.

There's a legal property rights story there, and it's getting lost to the mists of time. But this latest planning document proves the longstanding Paradise Pier Hotel Problem still exists, and the legal agreement with the Japanese is still in effect. There's no good reason to keep that turkey of a hotel otherwise, especially if Disney invests this big in all the property around it.

Oh wow, that's really intriguing. I hope you're able to sift through some of it and share it with us soon. I'm really intrigued.

flynnibus

Premium Member

card00878_fr.jpg

man those 60s christmas photo flashbacks... oi!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom