News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

britain

Speaking of DisneyQuest... I wonder if they not only timed this announcement so that they'd be getting Anaheim at it's most "Agreeable-to-DL" but also because at some point in the future they will talk about whatever regional entertainment offerings they may be cooking up. You see, I suspect they will try DQ 2.0 out at some non-Anaheim location, in addition to the Toy Story parking lot. If they dropped a "New Disney entertainment offering opening up in Sacramento next year" headline BEFORE making it clear that they want to keep investing in Anaheim, it could have been perceived as a slap in the face.

J4546

i think a new disney quest would be a great addition to downtown disney/disney resort area. For real. Imagine a new DQ providing 4 things.

1: a dave and busters ticket redemption style arcade experience. It would be so easy to get people in there trying to win pins/ears/shirts and whatever other disney merch theyd have as prizes. and the whole area would be disney themed with disney games for kids and adults.
2: food.
3: a movie theater with tables that you can bring food in/reserve seats ahead of time, that plays disney movies classic and new. imagine reserving tickets to watch a goofy movie or lion king on the big screen, as part of your experience, thatd be great esp for like a lunch/dinner break.
4: flynns arcade. an huge arcade with 1-200 machines in it possibly on multiple floors, with 1 being classic 80s themed and the other being games from 90s and up. a very well curated arcade would be the icing on the cake for me, id love to play some really old games like tempest and crystal castles, and newer classics like daytona usa or TMNT.

man thatd be a sweet entertainment spot to visit even if not going to the parks, and it would be open after the parks closed giving guests more to do.

truecoat

As someone who lives about 3 miles from the DLR, it is similar to Church Bells.

Hear the Fireworks, you know it is about 9:30. They aren't loud inside the house, and not bad outside.

They also are not fired off on School nights.

Used to live under the John Wayne approach path, and it wasn't bad, but was far enough away to be quiet. It was more a visual thing

Decades ago, used to go to classrooms in the Point Loma area near Lindbergh Field. There was time you just stopped taking for a minute.

Balboa Park has an amphitheater under the Lindbergh flight path. They had a red light/green light system, where in the middle of the play, when a plane was approaching, the red light was triggered and the play just froze until the green light was turned back on.

As an adult, I lived near an airport for a couple years. I wasn't bothered by it because as a kid, I lived near an air force base. They repaired B-52s at this base and would ramp them up full power for 10-20 minutes. When relatives came to visit from out of state...WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!

On the flipside, I live in a very rural town now. I can hear cars coming and going a couple miles away at night because it's so quiet.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The neighbors angle is interesting to say the least. Disneyland was there before all those surrounding homes, wasn't it? Even if some did pre-date it, I have to imagine those owners are long gone. Anyone who lives there now knew what they were moving in next to.
The neighbors bit is a lot more complicated than that tho. It's not just residents and NIMBY... but neighbor businesses, community people, etc.

All kinds of reasons to be against change. Imagine you paid for a property based on its proximity to a service or a traffic pattern.. you'd likely be against something that radically changes that in a negative way for you.

Or imagine you are a planner that works based on assumption of tax/revenue/expense patterns... and a radical shift is pending that disrupts your norm, etc.

While the 'DL is here first' or "You wouldn't exist without DL" points are usually valid... the alone do not cover the gambit of justifications and perspectives on change.

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

I'm calling it, Disney Flexland™.

Me thinks Disney has finally heard enough negative things about removing or changing classic DL attractions in favor of adding in new "latest hit box office IP" based stuff, and they've decided to build new dedicated areas that could be designed to be more flexible. I know some on here were touting the idea of a Black Box type attraction and this would be a more ideal place for it.

Nirya

Me thinks Disney has finally heard enough negative things about removing or changing classic DL attractions in favor of adding in new "latest hit box office IP" based stuff, and they've decided to build new dedicated areas that could be designed to be more flexible. I know some on here were touting the idea of a Black Box type attraction and this would be a more ideal place for it.
I mean, it seems they're more than willing to use the threat of changing or removing attractions to get this passed.
Disney said approve or we’ll turn Matterhorn into Olaf’s Bobsleds.View attachment 542352

BrianLo

I didn’t really think of the secondary dual plaza entrance until you mentioned it. Interesting. So guests coming from the Eastern gateway can decide to enter one of the parks from the current esplanade or walk through DTD and enter the parks from the new plaza which I guess without referencing the concept art would be about where that empty lot behind the AMC is?

The walk to enter a Disney park for guests walking the new path from Mickey and Friends would be cut in half... assuming it’s still there.

Moreover I think this makes the new DL Hotel DVC tower incredibly desirable. The hotel becomes much more of an entrance hotel than before.

George Lucas on a Bench

I wish you were right but I doubt it.

EPCOTCenterLover

Yep...while some folks might think seeing fireworks every night would be cool...take off your Disney hat and you realize how disruptive it would be to have to hear them all the time.
Yes, but I always took to it like it was a giant grandfather clock: “Oh, it’s 9 o’clock!”

SteamboatJoe

So imagine instead of just dealing with it, someone actually asked you ahead of time, if you wanted the manure around your open windows. Doesn't mean that it's always right or wrong, but it's good that we live with a system that allows people to voice their opposition.
The onion field was there long before our us or the house. Ag enjoys nuisance exemptions in many states but thats besides the point. The point is we chose to move next to it and accepted the consequences of our choice.

Disneyland68

What I wrote to a former WDI CM who lives in Buena Park.

>>As a planning commissioner Mark, you should see that in reality, all Disney is asking for is another resort overlay, where individual projects don't need to go in front of the planning commission, like the current policy from the 1990's.

Disney has a very favorable council (6 friendly, one that opposes anything the majority likes). That said, Anaheim is a host city to the 2028 Olympics, and the Convention Center was being booked solid before COVID. Expect to see the Eastern Gateway get completed, and new Hotels, things that Disney wants, and will be needed in the next few years. Alas, the Shiny stuff is just that, Shiny stuff just for looks, and not being proposed. Just zoning changes.<<

Interesting to note, at the big Council Meeting where the council voted to get up to $210 Million in loans to cover the next few years of deficit spending's, Dr. Moreno was not available to attend via tele-conference.
Aloha Sir,

Spot on. Your long range radar (2028 Olympics) is functioning perfectly. Disney is seeking permission to more efficiently plan and execute within their property without any bureaucratic delay. Very interesting to think what will be accomplished for the 2028 Olympics.

TP2000

I lived 7 miles away, but hardly ever heard them. My cousin lived farther away than I did, and heard them every night (and HATED it).
Once you get a few miles away from the park, the direction of the wind has a big part in it. Even if it's just a slight breeze.

If the wind is blowing in off the ocean as it does in spring and summer, communities west of Disneyland don't hear the fireworks much but Villa Park due east of Disneyland hears the fireworks well. But in early September when the wind switches to an offshore flow for autumn, suddenly Los Alamitos can hear the fireworks and Villa Park can only see the silent fireworks in the distance.

DavidNoble

Speaking of DisneyQuest... I wonder if they not only timed this announcement so that they'd be getting Anaheim at it's most "Agreeable-to-DL" but also because at some point in the future they will talk about whatever regional entertainment offerings they may be cooking up. You see, I suspect they will try DQ 2.0 out at some non-Anaheim location, in addition to the Toy Story parking lot. If they dropped a "New Disney entertainment offering opening up in Sacramento next year" headline BEFORE making it clear that they want to keep investing in Anaheim, it could have been perceived as a slap in the face.

Disney building their own suped-up versions of FECs? That could be something.

Raynman

Expansion could also be used to move existing attractions. Move Autopia over to the West side and build Tron in tomorrowland.
Build a new arena for Fantasmic like Orlando that would relieve crowding. Create Storybook Circus like Orlando and move Dumbo.
Not saying I like these ideas, but could be part of the plan to create more space in DL

DavidNoble

Expansion could also be used to move existing attractions. Move Autopia over to the West side and build Tron in tomorrowland.
Build a new arena for Fantasmic like Orlando that would relieve crowding. Create Storybook Circus like Orlando and move Dumbo.
Not saying I like these ideas, but could be part of the plan to create more space in DL

Seems like a ton of work to move something like Autopia, no? With not much uplift (and significant costs I would imagine).

SteveAZee

What nobody's pointing out about that map is they've also extended in-park Disneyland space in the North all the way up to Ball Road. Seemingly splitting up the backstage areas with theme park space in between, and essentially taking out the large merchandise warehouse and parade building that sit there right now.
It would be a good place for a clone of WDW's Star Wars hotel.

britain

That's one reason why I wouldn't mind it if that actually was a rebuilt Matterhorn depicted in the south DCA area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom