Disneyland, Universal and other California theme parks can reopen April 1 - OCR/SCNG

TP2000

I thought the setting in Dodger Stadium was actually well done, but it was hard to take the nonsense seriously. After saying goodnight he took his First Partner's hand and walked off into the distance of the stadium as music played in the background.

Oh, gosh. I just realize now that whenever he said "First Partner" he probably looked over at her and beamed. Gross!

Now I'm glad I didn't watch in on TV. A person can only take so much schmaltz.

TP2000

Please not French Laundry. It’s essential.

Don't worry, The French Laundry is in Napa County and it just entered the Red Tier.

So just like Captain Kidd's Buffet, The French Laundry can reopen for indoor dining.

But The Blue Bayou must stay closed in the Red Tier because Disneyland doesn't know how to run a restaurant safely.

This all makes perfect sense to someone in a cubicle in Sacramento. Do not question it.

milordsloth

That was it exactly! But with lots of very impressive words.

And somehow Francisco and Maria also got thrown in there; I hope they were okay with that and signed a waiver of some sort.
They actually played short clips of Francisco and Maria when he talked about them! They also showed clips of small business owners back at work when he was talking about California's entrepreneurial spirit.

TP2000

They actually played short clips of Francisco and Maria when he talked about them!

You're kidding?! Maybe I need to pull this up on YouTube?

I have a mental image of sweet, elderly Maria in my mind that I don't want to destroy. Because what if she's actually ugly?

But what did Francisco look like? Kindly? With a crinkled, knowing smile that tells the story of a hard working life well lived?

milordsloth

You're kidding?! Maybe I need to pull this up on YouTube?

I have a mental image of sweet, elderly Maria in my mind that I don't want to destroy. Because what if she's actually ugly?

But what did Francisco look like? Kindly? With a crinkled, knowing smile that tells the story of a hard working life well lived?

Both Maria and Francisco were wearing masks when their images appeared, but they both looked like very kind people. Probably worth taking a quick look at the youtube video just to get the setting of the speech.

TP2000

Both Maria and Francisco were wearing masks when their images appeared, but they both looked like very kind people. Probably worth taking a quick look at the youtube video just to get the setting of the speech

I trust you that this won't ruin my mental image of sweet, elderly Maria of Fresno. So I'll go do that!

The theatrics of this address given in Dodger Stadium, apparently with multimedia and a glowing First Partner at his side, are commendable. Especially when everything outside of that stadium went to hell a long time ago. 🤬

TP2000

Both Maria and Francisco were wearing masks when their images appeared, but they both looked like very kind people. Probably worth taking a quick look at the youtube video just to get the setting of the speech.

Okay, I watched the video on YouTube. What was the most hysterical was the livestream comments about Governor Newsom were BRUTAL! I know many Newsom fans here think some of us are not respectful enough, but if that's the case do NOT go watch YouTube comments about him. You'll melt into a puddle of liberal tears. They're brutal over there! :eek:

That said.. Maria! She was even better than I'd hoped for. She looked exactly like what I thought she would, but better. That colorful floral blouse. Those fabulous turquoise cat-eye glasses! And that bold "Only Her Hairdresser Knows For Sure" shade of red hair from Miss Clairol on her 85 year old head. I loved Maria! God bless her, and every other elderly lady in Fresno she helps get to a vaccination site! 😍

On the opposite end of the lovable spectrum was First Partner. Sitting there on a folding chair with a lap Pashmina in a windy and cold Dodger Stadium. She looked just as brittle and boring as I imagine her to be.

Inkedparnter_LI.jpg

And why was she wearing a mask?!? She's sitting there alone, literally in the outfield! She didn't worry about a mask when she went to a dinner party with 12 people in an indoor dining room at The French Laundry, but now we're supposed to believe that she wears a mask even when she sits alone in a giant empty stadium??? Honey, please. No one's buying it. And the recall is still happening. :rolleyes:

But you are right @milordsloth the optics on this were very weird. Creepy. Especially the ending. They both walked out into an emtpy Dodger Stadium and into... nothing. What is that a metaphor about? California is empty? The future is empty? Their ideas are empty?

604867c56378e.image.jpg

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

It amazes me that he just said "there's literally no better place to do business [than California]".

I'm just a simple dude trying to live life who's income hasn't been impacted by covid so his speech and that line gave me a good chuckle. But if I was a business owner on Harbor Blvd, or Disneyland, or Universal, or Six Flags, or Knott's, or any of the small mom and pop restaurants in the state- that line would really me off.

TP2000

It amazes me that he just said "there's literally no better place to do business [than California]".

I'm just a simple dude trying to live life who's income hasn't been impacted by covid so his speech and that line gave me a good chuckle. But if I was a business owner on Harbor Blvd, or Disneyland, or Universal, or Six Flags, or Knott's, or any of the small mom and pop restaurants in the state- that line would really **** me off.

No kidding.

I found the whole speech to be almost nonsensical.

It probably helped I was listening to it on the radio and thus wasn't distracted by the videos of Maria and the creepy optics of an empty Dodger Stadium with a masked First Partner shivering under her Pashmina blanket alone in the outfield.

60486452b8fa5.image.jpg

But when you listened to his words (and I was listening intently as there was a drinking game involved!) it was honestly like he was talking about another state, or talking about California circa 1985. It was a speech removed from current reality.

The scariest part is that he might not even know that. And his staff is too afraid to tell him.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

The scariest part is that he might not even know that. And his staff is too scared to tell him.
You just reminded me of this bit from the Simpsons, if only because Gov Newsom and Mr. Burns both seem to be equally out of touch.

It's even more amusing that Newsom followed his 'best place to do business' line by listing a bunch of government handouts businesses in CA had to receive to stay afloat. Doesn't sound like the best place to do business to me...

He was all over the place, going from reopening schools to the gender wage gap in all of two sentences. He did chalk up the fires to climate change- and not forest mismanagement. But the rest of the country wasn't on fire so it sounds like climate change is a California specific problem?

TP2000

He was all over the place, going from reopening schools to the gender wage gap in all of two sentences. He did chalk up the fires to climate change- and not forest mismanagement. But the rest of the country wasn't on fire so it sounds like climate change is a California specific problem?

He was all over the place. He said in his speech the forest fires were because of a "heat dome" over the state, remember? We used to just call that August, but I guess now the kids call August a "heat dome" instead.

Did you catch that line where he said "California leads the way on gay rights, gun rights, and..."

I couldn't tell if that was a mistake, or his script actually said that.

Of course, as a gay man who owns a gun, I raised a toast anyway! 🤣

SuddenStorm

He was all over the place. He said in his speech the forest fires were because of a "heat dome" over the state, remember? We used to just call that August, but I guess now the kids call August a "heat dome" instead.

Did you catch that line where he said "California leads the way on gay rights, gun rights, and..."

I couldn't tell if that was a mistake, or his script actually said that.

Of course, as a gay man who owns a gun, I raised a toast anyway! 🤣

I believe the term 'August' has been sunsetted. New science and data have shown that the more correct term is 'heat dome'. Which sounds like something out of a '80s post apocalypse film-

1615363037364.png

davis_unoxx

I'm just a simple dude trying to live life who's income hasn't been impacted by covid so his speech and that line gave me a good chuckle. But if I was a business owner on Harbor Blvd, or Disneyland, or Universal, or Six Flags, or Knott's, or any of the small mom and pop restaurants in the state- that line would really **** me off.
Yah isn’t California ranked last in terms of being a business friendly state? Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom