Disneyland, Universal and other California theme parks can reopen April 1 - OCR/SCNG

fctiger

Finally the news we all been waiting for! Don't see myself remotely going until we're fully vaccinated but will probably try sometime in the summer when the kinks are fully worked out, more people are vaccinated and just higher capacity in general! Can't wait to take my mother who hasn't seen Galaxy Edge yet and was hoping to go last summer. Now she can see that and Avenger's Campus! And already fully vaccinated.

This is great news to hear! :)

mickEblu

Finally the news we all been waiting for! Don't see myself remotely going until we're fully vaccinated but will probably try sometime in the summer when the kinks are fully worked out, more people are vaccinated and just higher capacity in general! Can't wait to take my mother who hasn't seen Galaxy Edge yet and was hoping to go last summer. Now she can see that and Avenger's Campus! And already fully vaccinated.

This is great news to hear! :)

I want the sweet spot between the kinks being worked out and capacity going up to 25%. I think that may be late May to early June. It would also be before it gets too hot. If you look at WDW, it was as soon as capacity moved up to 35% it stopped being a niche, low crowded experience. 35% with all the side effects of restrictions and distancing feels a lot like a normal moderately crowded day at the park. The sweet spot will be 15-25%. After that one May as well wait for the park to open fully.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
LA County and Orange County now meet all 3 metrics to go down to Red. Officially I think they must maintain this for 2 weeks before officially moving down to red

View attachment 538283View attachment 538284
I'd like to point out that once the 4M vaccinations metric in lower income areas is hit that numbers like these would put LA County in the Orange tier and OC on the cusp of Orange tier. I believe California is a little over 100k from hitting the first goal of 2M.

So everything is going in the right direction.

TP2000

Well, now that we've successfully defended the honor of the great state of Montana with hard data and scientific facts, it's been another full working day in Sacramento. :D

Sacramento still hasn't released any additional Guidance for the theme park industry, beyond the four vague bullet points they released last Friday. The Blueprint website hasn't been updated. No further information is available.

I wonder how long we, and more importantly the theme park executives needing to make business decisions to save their properties, have to wait for that new Guidance? Another week? Two weeks?

April 1st is a Thursday. Do they release this info on March 30th, Tuesday afternoon and give the theme park industry a full day before Sacramento can say "Why aren't you open yet? We released our Guidance already!"

ToTBellHop

Well, now that we've successfully defended the honor of the great state of Montana with hard data and scientific facts, it's been another full working day in Sacramento. :D

Sacramento still hasn't released any additional Guidance for the theme park industry, beyond the four vague bullet points they released last Friday. The Blueprint website hasn't been updated. No further information is available.

I wonder how long we, and theme park executives needing to make business decisions to save their properties, have to wait for that new Guidance? Another week? Two weeks?

April 1st is a Thursday. Do they release this info on March 30th, Tuesday afternoon and give the theme park industry a full day before Sacramento can say "Why aren't you open yet? We released our Guidance already!"

Not that again! Give us one night to be happy!

TP2000

The guidelines are expected to be released in about two weeks,

Sausage takes time...

You're kidding?! That's March 24th, a week before this Guidance takes effect. :oops:

How on earth do bureaucrats think businesses work, exactly? Do they think private industry just go POOF! and instant employee schedules and supplies and stock and training and infrastructure pops into existence once Sacramento says so?

On the bright side, I guess that gives us two Friday afternoons to do a 4PM In Sacramento post. I do kinda miss those!

ToTBellHop

You're kidding?! That's March 24th, a week before this Guidance takes effect. :oops:

How on earth do bureaucrats think businesses work, exactly? Do they think private industry just POOF! instant employee schedules and supplies and stock and training into existence once Sacramento says so?
I’m sure they’re using the time to work closely with the leaders of all of the parks to come up with safe, yet realistic guidelines that everyone can live with.

1615334330675.gif

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

How on earth do bureaucrats think businesses work, exactly? Do they think private industry just go POOF! and instant employee schedules and supplies and stock and training and infrastructure pops into existence once Sacramento says so?

On the bright side, I guess that gives us two Friday afternoons to do a 4PM In Sacramento post. I do kinda miss those!

Good question.

But the Theme Parks (CAPA) have been ignored for a year. Why talk to the industry if they don't want them to reopen?

TP2000

Good question.

But the Theme Parks (CAPA) have been ignored for a year. Why talk to the industry if they don't want them to reopen?

I feel a little guilty for complaining about this now, because literally five minutes after I was commenting about this stuff the John & Ken show had the President of the California Association for Private Events. Was anyone else listening to KFI this afternoon? The radio interview was heartbreaking! 😢

The lady who is the President of that trade organization represents 93,000 small businesses and 3 Million employees in California that support the Events industry; from birthdays and Quinceneras to wedding receptions and corporate dinners to business conferences and formal dances. All of that has been illegal in California for a year now.

But Sacramento still hasn't presented them with a single shred of "Guidance" on when and how that industry can reopen. She gets the runaround from every elected official and top bureaucrat she contacts in Sacramento, month after month. "Oh, we're still working on your Guidance, it's not done yet."

She said the worst slap in the face came last Friday, when she got an email from her top Sacramento contact 20 minutes in advance of the press conference that said "Heads up, we're about to announce new Guidance for theme parks and pro sports. But hang in there, we're still working on your Guidance." :rolleyes:

She said thousands of small businesses that support the Events industry have closed and gone bankrupt in California in the past year; photographers, planners, DJ's, catering companies, lighting crews, design companies, party equipment rental companies, etc.. etc.

And yet not a single shred of Guidance has been released for that entire industry, employing 3 Million Californians. Suddenly, I don't feel so bad for Disneyland. At least the theme park companies have the political power to force this issue. Wedding photographers and caterers and DJ's have no such power or influence in Sacramento.

SuddenStorm

I feel a little guilty for complaining about this now, because literally five minutes after I was commenting about this stuff the John & Ken show had the President of the California Association for Private Events. Was anyone else listening to KFI this afternoon? The radio interview was heartbreaking! 😢

The lady who is the President of that trade organization represents 93,000 small businesses and 3 Million employees in California that support the Events industry; from birthdays and Quinceneras to wedding receptions and corporate dinners to business conferences and formal dances. All of that has been illegal in California for a year now.

But Sacramento still hasn't presented them with a single shred of "Guidance" on when and how that industry can reopen. She gets the runaround from every elected official and top bureaucrat she contacts in Sacramento, month after month. "Oh, we're still working on your Guidance, it's not done yet."

She said the worst slap in the face came last Friday, when she got an email from her top Sacramento contact 20 minutes in advance of the press conference that said "Heads up, we're about to announce new Guidance for theme parks and pro sports. But hang in there, we're still working on your Guidance." :rolleyes:

She said thousands of small businesses that support the Events industry have closed and gone bankrupt in California in the past year; photographers, planners, DJ's, catering companies, lighting crews, design companies, party equipment rental companies, etc.. etc.

And yet not a single shred of Guidance has been released for that entire industry, employing 3 Million Californians. Suddenly, I don't feel so bad for Disneyland. At least the theme park companies have the political power to force this issue. Wedding photographers and caterers and DJ's have no such power or influence in Sacramento.

The fact the government is both able to act like this towards the people they serve, and the fact that there are people who defend this abhorrent behavior is both shocking and sad.

What do we think the long term is here? How will things look in 1 year? 5?

Every industry that's not 'essential' now knows that they can be shut down arbitrarily and at a moment's notice in California- but remain open in other states.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney focused on WDW as their primary property and Disneyland received little attention from Burbank.

Last edited:

drizgirl

The fact the government is both able to act like this towards the people they serve, and the fact that there are people who defend this abhorrent behavior is both shocking and sad.

What do we think the long term is here? How will things look in a 1 year? 5?

Every industry that's not 'essential' now knows that they can be shut down arbitrarily and at a moment's notice in California- but remain open in other states.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney focused on WDW as their primary property and Disneyland received attention from Burbank.
Well, that would only remain a viable approach as long as FL leadership didn't change parties.

TP2000

It wasn't arbitrary.

Care to explain the Science & Data behind the theory that Captain Kidd's Buffet can reopen for Indoor Dining, but The Blue Bayou can not?

The International House of Pancakes on Harbor Blvd. is allowed seat customers indoors for a meal in this dining room...

dsc-0466-largejpg.jpg

But Flo's V8 Cafe in Cars Land capped at 15% park capacity is not allowed to seat customers indoors in this dining room...

Flos-Interior-Seating.jpg

Arbitrary seems a rather kind way to put this situation, quite frankly. I can think of a lot saltier words to explain this. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom