Disneyland, Universal and other California theme parks can reopen April 1 - OCR/SCNG

fctiger

They're doing Taste of Disney in DCA, right? So just keep running that over there while getting Disneyland ready to open, and then use that time to slowly bring DCA back up to speed and ready to fully reopen when the event ends. If you're Disney, that would spread out your reopening costs over time instead of all-at-once, and would let you focus on getting one park fully ready and trained while still making some level of profit at the other one.

They could do that, but I think people will somehow feel cheated they are in the park (and DCA) in the park with no rides while DL is suddenly running again. But maybe most won't care. I don't think they would do this but if they did, the best solution would just be to offer refunds for people who did buy tickets if DL is running at this time. And keep for the others who still want to go. And it would still get plenty of people to go if you can't get into DL with the extreme capacity limit.

Stevek

......so anyway as I stated it doesn't sound like Disney is going to open on April 1st regardless. We already have a thread that is taking bets when park will reopen. But in light with all the good news (at least I thought it was until I showed up here lol), any new bets when it will happen? Maybe it won't be in April, but still could be May or June. Or maybe until they just get intot he higher tier that gets up to 25% capacity. That does seem to be the most reasonable.

Come to think of it, has any theme park yet announced they will open in April yet? Doesn't seem like it so far.
There could be logistical reasons this might not happen by April 1. From the latest RatChat article:

"While the park might be able to make a business case for opening dining and shopping at 15% capacity, having a huge staff running attractions and other activities for so few guests just isn’t financially feasible for an expensive operation like a Disney park. The other issue is that it will take Disney weeks to call employees back from furlough, create schedules, bring everyone in for training, order food and beverage for restaurants, re-merchandise shops, etc. Additionally, the state of California requires attraction workers to be certified on their attractions annually. On March 14th, almost every attractions worker in the Disneyland Resort will lose their certification. Disney is rushing to call back attractions trainers for this very reason, so they can cycle their attractions and be brought up to speed before they have to start retraining regular cast when they are called back to work. For all these reasons, Disneyland wouldn’t be able to reopen as soon as April 1st, even if they decided to lose a bundle on the 15% capacity limit."

milordsloth

Obviously I agree with this. It was funny reading other boards and people were freaking out over what will happen with Taste of Disney or they would refund the tickets or something. Why? They could still have the event and just open the parks fully later. Clearly this news took Disney by surprise like everyone else or they wouldn't have it happen through April. I'm SO glad I didn't try to do that event. It just seemed WAY too expensive for what you're getting. If I'm going to pay basically $100, I'm going to do it with freaking rides, even if those are limited too. And now it's a good chance we can all be in DL or DCA in the spring.
If I was living within an hour of DLR I would have happily paid $100 to just explore the park and really enjoy the details at this point. Where I think it is all ridiculous is the fact it has gone this far. Our theme parks should have opened with limited capacity months ago.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Disneyland won't open April 1st.

I doubt there's any theme park in California that can turn things around that fast and get reopened in 3 weeks time.

We'll need to wait for Sacramento to release what all their new Guidance is for theme parks. It's still a secret mystery.

Can long indoor dark rides operate? Can a ride with a long indoor queue and pre-show like Indy, Haunted Mansion, Star Wars Land, operate? What are "other modifications" and how does that impact the customer experience?

Too many unknowns still to make that park reservation. Sacramento only gave us three (3) vague new bullet points last Friday. :(

I think some parks can open in early April, mainly due to little to no indoor rides, and they can leave them closed.

SeaWorld San Diego and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom have been operating as Zoos, so just have to open their Roller Coasters.

Smaller parks like Castle Park, Pacific Ocean Park and Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk have the lack of size and only limited staff.

Six Flags Magic Mountain can reopen as soon as they staff up and stock food and merchandise.

Remember Spring Break runs through April 18th.

Knott's is also a possibility, but the Food event would have to be cancelled, They just might match California's Great America's opening date, and Soak City could match that.

LEGOLAND is an interesting beast, but I can see them try for April.

I would love Disney to be open in April, but I think May is the better date to have things up and running. Hopefully before Memorial Day,

Edited to add USH, their Food Event is scheduled through April 4th, so if the Indoor Attractions rules are reasonable, they could open on April 9th, if they have enough staff.

Last edited:

DLR>WDW

I expect an opening some time in mid/late-April, likely after all the Touch of Disney events are done.. perhaps Saturday, April 24th? 🤔RatChat said that TDA is currently scrambling to bring back ride-ops CMs ASAP so their certifications don't expire on March 14th. If those CMs are back, attractions will have plenty of time to be worked and prepped for an opening. We also know management has been planning and setting up distance markers ever since last year, so all those plans are done and ready to go.

From today, there is 47 days (~7 weeks) to April 24th. This feels like plenty, especially when most of the infrastructure at DCA will be up and running for Touch of Disney next week. I'd expect an announcement of a date within the next week or two after they've gotten full confirmation on the state's guidelines and all plans are set.

On another note, Universal Studios Hollywood sent out this message to their Annual Passholders regarding opening. I imagine they'll be able to move a lot more swiftly than Disney. Really excited to see the debut of Secret Life of Pets and the all new finale to Jurassic World.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I expect an opening some time in mid/late-April, likely after all the Touch of Disney events are done.. perhaps Saturday, April 24th? 🤔RatChat said that TDA is currently scrambling to bring back ride-ops CMs ASAP so their certifications don't expire on March 14th. If those CMs are back, attractions will have plenty of time to be worked and prepped for an opening. We also know management has been planning and setting up distance markers ever since last year, so all those plans are done and ready to go.

From today, there is 47 days (~7 weeks) to April 24th. This feels like plenty, especially when most of the infrastructure at DCA will be up and running for Touch of Disney next week. I'd expect an announcement of a date within the next week or two after they've gotten full confirmation on the state's guidelines and all plans are set.

On another note, Universal Studios Hollywood sent out this message to their Annual Passholders regarding opening.
I imagine they'll be able to move a lot more swiftly than Disney, so I could see an early opening for them. Also, really excited to see the debut of Secret Life of Pets and the all new finale to Jurassic World.
1615266914157.png

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I think TP2000's might like this one.

>>Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., urged Democrats on Monday to "unite" against the recall effort against California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Sanders claimed that Newsom is racing a recall "for the crime of telling people to wear masks and for listening to scientists during COVID."

Recall organizers announced on Sunday that the petition against Newsom reached 1.95 million signatures. The number of signatures has surged since Newsom's infamous French Laundry scandal, which came amid the governor's strict lockdown policies.

At the time, the data illustrated that only 3.1% of Covid-19 cases in Los Angeles were traced back to indoor dining. Experts have also suggested that Newsom's ban on outdoor dining in December, which wasn't supported by scientific evidence, fueled a surge in coronavirus cases.

Newsom had also kept Covid-19 data from his state secret despite public records requests from this January. The Golden State clocked in last month as the state with the most Covid-19 infections in spite of the strict lockdown procedures. <<

>>The California governor has a history of breaking his own lockdown rules. He attended the birthday party of a longtime adviser at a restaurant in November 2020 after closing indoor dining across the state. Newsom later apologized for the incident.

Additionally, Newsom appeared to post a TikTok video inside a restaurant in a county with indoor dining restrictions. His office denied the governor had eaten at the restaurant.<<

CaptinEO

Most of us who complain about something or not being able to do something will or won’t do something that is cause for said complaining. I don’t like New York City, therefore I won’t make plans to go there, unless I’m visiting family.

Some folks here have been complaining about the parks not being open and the economy tanking due to the parks being closed, but refused to buy a ticket to A Taste of Disney, are complaining about the parks reopening soon, and won’t go to IHOP across the street or stay in any of the offsite hotels. LOOOOOL.
I think everyone here is upset the parks are closed and that this pandemic is going on. All of last year was so sad and unfortunate for many people.

In terms of Disneyland, I'm happy for the day I can go again and get a full themepark experience. I was there on Mar 7 2020, now a year and a day ago and did so many fun things.

I love Disneyland but I'm not dying to get a touch, taste, or glimpse of the full experience. I'll gladly wait until things go back to being how they were when I visited Disneyland during its last operating weekend.

If people are cool with a food festival or a few rides, I'm happy for them. To me, I'd just feel I'm missing out on so much if I settled and went to Disneyland and got only a fraction of the experience I used to be able to get.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
John & Ken laughed about this all afternoon today on their show.

There's obviously a very good drinking game to be had here, watching Governor Newsom give this address. Perhaps the most important address of his life, on the eve of the Recall Election being certified by Sacramento for this fall.

I intend to tune in with a drink in hand. 6:30pm is absolutely perfect timing! 🤣

FYI, it starts at 6 PM.

Looking at my Cable Guide.

No broadcast local news station will give up 2 hours for the speech. (Channel 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 11).

Spectrum News 1 will cover it, and so will Cal-SPAN

TP2000

Statistics without understanding why they are that way (like for example, understanding how population density works against California and for Montana in regards to the spread of a virus) are essentially useless numbers, but go off.

I can agree with that in premise. But that kind of focus on the hard data can often work against California's already weak numbers.

For instance, Covid mostly kills people over the age of 70 (and even then, you mostly have to have two or three pre-existing major health problems). California's population is very young, the 45th youngest state. Florida's population is very old, the 5th oldest state.

So why aren't Florida's death numbers much, much higher? I mean, they did everything wrong supposedly. Florida's evil Governor DeSantis allowed indoor dining, he reopened Disney World eight months ago. Heck, Florida even hosted a Super Bowl while California had to export the Rose Bowl to Texas. Florida should be a statewide morgue. But it's not. It's almost at the exact same death rate as California. Why?

As for vaccination rates, California still sucks at that. Even states that take in a tiny fraction of the tax money that California does have higher vaccination rates. California is currently in 45th place for giving citizens both shots. We suck. But we pay a lot of taxes.

State Population Fully Vaccinated (both shots) as of March 8th
#1 Alaska = 15.8%
#4 West Virginia = 12.8%
#9 Montana = 11.4%
#34 Florida = 9.6%
#45 California = 8.6%

Clearly this news took Disney by surprise like everyone else or they wouldn't have it happen through April. I'm SO glad I didn't try to do that event. It just seemed WAY too expensive for what you're getting. If I'm going to pay basically $100, I'm going to do it with freaking rides, even if those are limited too. And now it's a good chance we can all be in DL or DCA in the spring.

Interesting point on Taste of Disney! This either took TDA by surprise (it did come out of nowhere, and was obviously not fully fleshed out), or TDA was trying to rush to sell Taste of Disney tickets before this was announced.

Disneyland won't be reopening on April 1st. But all the news headlines said "Disneyland Can Reopen April 1st!", so that's what low information news consumers think. It will ding sales for Taste of Disney.

el_super

RatChat said that TDA is currently scrambling to bring back ride-ops CMs ASAP so their certifications don't expire on March 14th.

That's a little off... Ride cetifications expire annually, but not everyone is certified at the same time. So if you are trained at Space Mountain in June, your annual certification is due every June. So if you haven't been working since April 20, you haven't been certified to operate Space Mountain since June of 2019.

Also certification is per attraction, so if you are still miraclously certified to operate Soarin, you can't come over and train someone on Space Mountain without yourself being certified on that attraction.

Long story short: any reopening plan was going to require CM retraining anyway. The good news is, for a park that will be limited in capacity and not running full 16-18 hour days, thats a much smaller number of people to bring back and retrain. It won't take very long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom