Disneyland, Universal and other California theme parks can reopen April 1 - OCR/SCNG

castleparker

It seemed like what I was reading was two very provincial Californians making fun of a yokel bartender in Montana. Even his taste in art was made fun of.

And because this is a thread about how the state of California has decimated the theme park industry by keeping it closed, while all other states allow their theme parks to reopen, the thought of making fun of Montana (which reopened 8 months ago) seemed silly at best, and mean at worst.

So I stepped in to defend Montana's honor, by showing a few basic hard facts that prove none of us Californians should be making fun of anyone in Montana right now.

They are kicking our butt on all fronts; Covid response, Vaccine response, Economic response.

The official statistics are simply the official statistics, I offer no "interpretation" of them. They speak for themselves. There's nothing more to add. Which is why I often just let them sit there boldly like this, because they speak so beautifully for themselves, as science and data so often does.

Montana = 1,292 Deaths Per 1 Million, 32 Doses Per 100, 11.4% Population Fully Vaccinated, Unemployment Rate 4.4%
California = 1,375 Deaths Per 1 Million, 27 Doses Per 100, 8.6% Population Fully Vaccinated, Unemployment Rate 9.1%
Again, we were discussing the man in Montana, Montana being only an identifier. But you are conflating it with having something against Montana, which I do not. Would you have rallied to the state's defense if it was a bartender in New York? And TP you have obviously never taken a high level stats course. There are many things that go into why a particular stat matters and what it means, and context is key there. So your interpretation at face value is just that: A wrong interpretation.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Of course, Sacramento could clear all this up by simply releasing the Refreshed Guidance in its entirety so that both theme park leaders and the general public could understand what they are talking about and asking theme parks to do. These vague bullet points aren't helping at this point.

This has already been stated in the press conference on Friday that this is what they are doing, also its right on the Industry Guidance website:

"Amusement Parks and them parks - updated March 5th, 2021

Effective April 1, 2021

Additional activities will be permitted starting April 1, 2021. The guidance is in the process of being updated. Check CDPH’s activity and business tiers table for information about the upcoming changes."

What was released (short bullet points) on Friday was a general update for the public. The actual updated guidance (long document) for the theme park operators will be updated in the coming days. Disney even appeared to understand this in their internal communication that they'd be working with the administration on the final plans,

"We are working with the administration over the next few weeks to finalize the theme park guidance." Potrock

Last edited:

TP2000

IHOP really has become a hobo restaurant

I never thought to look in there. I last ate there on my first visit to Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn.

Could it be any worse than this sort of thing that I saw a few weeks ago on an evening drive-thru tour?

IMG_0533.JPG

TP2000

And TP you have obviously never taken a high level stats course. There are many things that go into why a particular stat matters and what it means, and context is key there. So your interpretation at face value is just that: A wrong interpretation.

I only use the stats provided by reputable media sources. Bloomberg and realclearpolitics.com does a great job. The New York Times and Washington Post does a great job too, but they're behind a paywall for most folks, so I don't use them here.

Are you saying that the legacy media in this country (NY Times, the Post, the Journal, Bloomberg, etc.) is using incomplete data for their readers? That the data behind Covid deaths and vaccine rates can somehow be made better by taking a course in Statistics at Fullerton Junior College (Go Hornets!)???

I think the media do a fine job of providing the context behind things like Covid deaths per 1 Million, vaccine rates of state populations, etc. I'm not sure there's much more to be gained, although with Covid you could make a good argument that since it mostly kills people over age 70 who have pre-existing health problems that should be taken into account.

California is the 45th youngest state in the nation, and Florida is the 5th oldest state in the nation. But their Covid death rates are extremely close, almost neck and neck on the state rankings. Florida is 27th, California is 29th. Missouri is in between at 28th.

fctiger

......so anyway as I stated it doesn't sound like Disney is going to open on April 1st regardless. We already have a thread that is taking bets when park will reopen. But in light with all the good news (at least I thought it was until I showed up here lol), any new bets when it will happen? Maybe it won't be in April, but still could be May or June. Or maybe until they just get intot he higher tier that gets up to 25% capacity. That does seem to be the most reasonable.

Come to think of it, has any theme park yet announced they will open in April yet? Doesn't seem like it so far.

TP2000

It doesn't sound like Disneyland is going to open April 1st since the President said they will provide an opening date soon.
Disneyland won't open April 1st.

I doubt there's any theme park in California that can turn things around that fast and get reopened in 3 weeks time.
They may not open ASAP but they will be opening. I still think June may be the best time because by then so many more people would have been vaccinated and they should be in a much higher tier by then. I guess we'll see what they do.

We'll need to wait for Sacramento to release what all their new Guidance is for theme parks. It's still a secret mystery.

Can long indoor dark rides operate? Can a ride with a long indoor queue and pre-show like Indy, Haunted Mansion, Star Wars Land, operate? What are "other modifications" and how does that impact the customer experience?

Too many unknowns still to make that park reservation. Sacramento only gave us three (3) vague new bullet points last Friday. :(

milordsloth

Most of us who complain about something or not being able to do something will or won’t do something that is cause for said complaining. I don’t like New York City, therefore I won’t make plans to go there, unless I’m visiting family.

Some folks here have been complaining about the parks not being open and the economy tanking due to the parks being closed, but refused to buy a ticket to A Taste of Disney, are complaining about the parks reopening soon, and won’t go to IHOP across the street or stay in any of the offsite hotels. LOOOOOL.

I read this a few times and it still doesn't make much sense. A person can only complain about the restrictions being put on theme parks if they bought tickets to taste of Disney? Or ate at the IHOP across the street?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
......so anyway as I stated it doesn't sound like Disney is going to open on April 1st regardless. We already have a thread that is taking bets when park will reopen. But in light with all the good news (at least I thought it was until I showed up here lol), any new bets when it will happen? Maybe it won't be in April, but still could be May or June. Or maybe until they just get intot he higher tier that gets up to 25% capacity. That does seem to be the most reasonable.

Come to think of it, has any theme park yet announced they will open in April yet? Doesn't seem like it so far.
I think its pretty much assumed Disneyland won't be reopening on April 1st itself. If its April at all my guess is it'll be at the end of Taste of Disney in the second half of April.

Californian Elitist

I also don’t see the parks opening on the 1st of April.

I would hope they’ve used all this time to come up with a through and detailed plan for reopening. That way when they’re given the green light, they won’t have to scramble for too long.

castleparker

I only use the stats provided by reputable media sources. Bloomberg and realclearpolitics.com does a great job. The New York Times and Washington Post does a great job too, but they're behind a paywall for most folks.

Are you saying that the legacy media in this country (NY Times, the Post, the Journal, Bloomberg, etc.) is using incomplete data for their readers? That the data behind Covid deaths and vaccine rates can somehow be made better by taking a course in Statistics at Fullerton Junior College (Go Hornets!)???

I think the media do a fine job of providing the context behind things like Covid deaths per 1 Million, vaccine rates of state populations, etc. I'm not sure there's much more to be gained, although with Covid you could make a good argument that since it mostly kills people over age 70 who have pre-existing health problems that should be taken into account.

California is the 45th youngest state in the nation, and Florida is the 5th oldest state in the nation. But their Covid death rates are extremely close, almost neck and neck on the state rankings. Florida is 27th, California is 29th. Missouri is in between at 28th.
Yes, I believe a background in understanding stats would be beneficial to you before making claims. Those places are publishing raw data. If you are going to interpret them on your own understanding of the context then that's fine. But if you are going to present raw data as a fact, data that could be misinterpreted without the "science and data" to back it up, well.... And I have stated my thoughts on Florida, before, so look there if you want my answer. Anywhoo, this back and forth is obviously not educating you, so toodles for now.

George Lucas on a Bench

I read this a few times and it still doesn't make much sense. A person can only complain about the restrictions being put on theme parks if they bought tickets to taste of Disney? Or ate at the IHOP across the street?

And remember, you can only complain about all the terrible decisions Disney has made if you are a Stockholder.

Nirya

Do you think the statistics (with links) I posted comparing Montana to California were false? That I made them up here in my den?

Statistics without understanding why they are that way (like for example, understanding how population density works against California and for Montana in regards to the spread of a virus) are essentially useless numbers, but go off.

Californian Elitist

No. I’m saying people are complaining about things, but when given the opportunity to participate in the exact things they’ve been complaining about that they can’t do, they won’t do it. For example, a person who complains about not being able to own a cat, but when the opportunity comes to get a cat, they won’t do it. People are concerned about the businesses surrounding Disneyland but won’t support them.

I’ve noticed your posts about your plans to visit the parks. Someone like you is excluded from my example. You’ve supported the parks reopening and now that they are, you are naturally making plans instead of finding more things to upset you.

GimpYancIent

No. That's not how this works. We, the public, made rules to keep people safe. Those politicians act on our behalf and enact the will of the people. We, the people of California enacted a law in 1995 that gave the state the power to keep us safe.

Thinking that public health policy shouldn't be a priority is as tone deaf as complaining about how the ADA, Health Insurance, Minimum Wages and keeping rats out of a restaurant "hurt" small businesses.
Are you seeing Red?

fctiger

I think its pretty much assumed Disneyland won't be reopening on April 1st itself. If its April at all my guess is it'll be at the end of Taste of Disney in the second half of April.

Obviously I agree with this. It was funny reading other boards and people were freaking out over what will happen with Taste of Disney or they would refund the tickets or something. Why? They could still have the event and just open the parks fully later. Clearly this news took Disney by surprise like everyone else or they wouldn't have it happen through April. I'm SO glad I didn't try to do that event. It just seemed WAY too expensive for what you're getting. If I'm going to pay basically $100, I'm going to do it with freaking rides, even if those are limited too. And now it's a good chance we can all be in DL or DCA in the spring.

Nirya

They're doing Taste of Disney in DCA, right? So just keep running that over there while getting Disneyland ready to open, and then use that time to slowly bring DCA back up to speed and ready to fully reopen when the event ends. If you're Disney, that would spread out your reopening costs over time instead of all-at-once, and would let you focus on getting one park fully ready and trained while still making some level of profit at the other one.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

They're doing Taste of Disney in DCA, right? So just keep running that over there while getting Disneyland ready to open, and then use that time to slowly bring DCA back up to speed and ready to fully reopen when the event ends. If you're Disney, that would spread out your reopening costs over time instead of all-at-once, and would let you focus on getting one park fully ready and trained while still making some level of profit at the other one.
Can't believe they haven't hired you yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom