Disneyland, Universal and other California theme parks can reopen April 1 - OCR/SCNG

TP2000

Just as a reminder of how vague and unhelpful the tiny bit of information is that Sacramento released last Friday, here's a reminder of what Sacramento announced last week. I will use the Yellow Tier Guidance, because it's pretty obvious Disneyland won't be reopening until May or later and OC will be in the Yellow Tier by then...

Yellow Tier Effective April 1, 2021:
• Max 35%
• Indoor capacity max 25% with time restrictions
• Weekly worker testing program
• With other modifications
• In-state visitors only, check for current CDPH Travel Advisory in effect

Two of those bullets are the most ominous.

"Indoor capacity max 25% with time restrictions". What does that mean? What is it talking about? Restaurants? Rides? Shows? Shops? Everything? Or is this a bullet only talking about indoor rides? I think we've all assumed that bullet refers to rides specifically, but we don't really know. Do time restrictions apply to employees too? That could prevent the operation of indoor rides even if the ride itself is deemed acceptable; you can't just swap out all indoor CM's every 10 minutes for new ones.

And the other scary bullet...
"With other modifications". What is that? That could be a list a mile long of things and processes a theme park must do, or specific rides or operational formats that are forbidden. Are indoor dark rides allowed at all? Are they only allowed if a guest is indoors for 5 minutes or less? 8 minutes or less? 30 minutes or less? This could be anything and everything, or it could be nothing at all and just stuff like "Encourage employees to wash hands frequently" or some other minor nonsense.

No one knows.

The worst bullet is the most blunt, but it's also self-explanatory. "In-state visitors only". Buh bye Anaheim hotel industry! :eek:

This PDF file released last Friday has not yet been amended or added to. It remains the only document available to the public that shows what the Refreshed Guidance is for the theme park industry in California. It's all on Page 6 of this document...

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Once Sacramento stops telling TDA when and how they can operate the Haunted Mansion, the complaining stops.

It could have stopped eight months ago if Governor Newsom had done what Governor DeSantis did in Florida with Disney World.

But it didn't. That's not our fault, it's Governor Newsom's fault. Until then, let the complaining (and plenty of chatting along with it) continue as we continue to discuss the fact that Disneyland is still closed on this forum dedicated to Disneyland. :)
I never indicated that you should stop complaining (even though I desperately want you to). But it’s pointless when you’re given the opportunity to do something you’ve been complaining about not being able to do and you don’t do it. At that point you’re just complaining to complain.

Yay.

TP2000

I never indicated that you should stop complaining (even though I desperately want you to). But it’s pointless when you’re given the opportunity to do something you’ve been complaining about not being able to do and you don’t do it. At that point you’re just complaining to complain.

Yay.

See my post above about the Yellow Tier Guidance bullet points.

If that's not something to complain about, then I want the recipe for your 6PM cocktail recipe that keeps you so upbeat! :D 🍸

milordsloth

Just as a reminder of how vague and unhelpful the tiny bit of information is that Sacramento released last Friday, here's a reminder of what Sacramento announced last week. I will use the Yellow Tier Guidance, because it's pretty obvious Disneyland won't be reopening until May or later and OC will be in the Yellow Tier by then...

Yellow Tier Effective April 1, 2021:
• Max 35%
• Indoor capacity max 25% with time restrictions
• Weekly worker testing program
• With other modifications
• In-state visitors only, check for current CDPH Travel Advisory in effect

Two of those bullets are the most ominous.

"Indoor capacity max 25% with time restrictions". What does that mean? What is it talking about? Restaurants? Rides? Shows? Shops? Everything? Or is this a bullet only talking about indoor rides? I think we've all assumed that bullet refers to rides specifically, but we don't really know.

And the other scary bullet...
"With other modifications". What is that? That could be a list a mile long of things and processes a theme park must do, or specific rides or operational formats that are forbidden. Are indoor dark rides allowed at all? Are they only allowed if a guest is indoors for 5 minutes or less? 8 minutes or less? 30 minutes or less? This could be anything and everything, or it could be nothing at all and just minor stuff like "Encourage employees to wash hands frequently" or some other nonsense.

No one knows.

The worse bullet is the most blunt, but it's also self-explanatory. "In-state visitors only". Buh bye hotel industry! :eek:

This PDF file released last Friday has not yet been amended or added to. It remains the only document available to the public that shows what the Refreshed Guidance is for the theme park industry in California. It's all on Page 6 of this document...

Looking at that pdf again, it seems only theme parks have to worry about "time restrictions" indoors... Sacramento must really not like the theme park industry. I am pretty curious to find out what that actually means.

TP2000

Looking at that pdf again, it seems only theme parks have to worry about "time restrictions" indoors... Sacramento must really not like the theme park industry. I am pretty curious to find out what that actually means.

Yes, I get that feeling too.

There's something about the way all of this has been handled and rolled out since last summer. It's increasingly obvious that Gavin Newsom, and/or his top lieutenants and thought partners, has no love for theme parks. It really does give me the impression that they were hoping to wipe theme parks off the California landscape, just like they will wipe gas powered cars from sales in this state.

They really do seem to delight in making this as difficult as possible for a theme park to merely operate in 2021, much less make a profit and survive into 2022 and beyond.

Keeping The Blue Bayou closed while Captain Kidd's gets to reopen is the best example. But the more you ponder those other very vague bullet points from last Friday it really makes you wonder. Sacramento leaders are clearly not fans of Disneyland.

Of course, Sacramento could clear all this up by simply releasing the Refreshed Guidance in its entirety so that both theme park leaders and the general public could understand what they are talking about and asking theme parks to do. These vague bullet points aren't helping at this point.

Nirya

Honestly at this point if you don't get that TP is going to post numbers without any sort of nuance and proclaim his arguments as unassailable, then I don't know what to tell you. It would probably help people's mental health to put him on ignore if it is that is too burdensome, but I don't think there's even a point in arguing at this point. You'd have a better shot at winning the lottery than getting through to him.

TP2000

Honestly at this point if you don't get that TP is going to post numbers without any sort of nuance and proclaim his arguments as unassailable, then I don't know what to tell you. It would probably help people's mental health to put him on ignore if it is that is too burdensome, but I don't think there's even a point in arguing at this point. You'd have a better shot at winning the lottery than getting through to him.

Do you think the statistics (with links) I posted comparing Montana to California were false? That I made them up here in my den?

castleparker

I posted no wrong information. You can certainly accuse me of posting wrong information, and you can pretend that it's wrong information, because it does make California look bad. But that doesn't make it wrong.

The Covid data I provided from the CDC and the economic data provided by the Federal Reserve Bank is not wrong, it simply is the real, factual data.

Montana = 1,292 Deaths Per 1 Million, 32 Doses Per 100, 11.4% Population Fully Vaccinated, Unemployment Rate 4.4%
California = 1,375 Deaths Per 1 Million, 27 Doses Per 100, 8.6% Population Fully Vaccinated, Unemployment Rate 9.1%

Yes, yes. Because all the other state governors were very mean back in 2020 and they hid the news from Gavin Newsom that there were vaccines coming in January, 2021. They should have told Gavin that there would be vaccines! He didn't know! It's not his fault! Meanie states like West Virginia got all the other mean states to gang up on California and hide that information! They're just jealous of our weather.

Oh, and then when Gavin found out about the vaccines, meanie West Virginia refused to help him with it!

Or something like that, so long as it absolves Sacramento from all responsibility to provide effective services to state residents.

Meanwhile, Disneyland is still closed. And we have absolutely no idea what the vague bullet point "Indoor Time Restrictions" means for Pirates of the Caribbean or Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or Midway Mania. Brilliant work, Sacramento. Brilliant work! :rolleyes:
These statistics you keep bringing up had no bearing on my original post. It apparently bugged you that we were making fun of a man in Montana, so you decided to build a strawman argument and accuse us of making fun of Montana itself. Why did you do this? I know your reading comprehension is decent, so you had to know what we were making fun of. Regardless, In the effort of dialog, addressed them as a result of vastly different circumstances between states. Yes those statistics are true TP, but please know that context is key to understanding them, and that just because they are that at face value doesn't mean that they are indicative of what you are necessarily suggesting. If you have any articles that say otherwise, please share them for discussion. Otherwise, that was what I was dispelling, not the statistics, but your interpretation of those stats.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
>>California Gov. Gavin Newsom will deliver his third State of the State address from Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, the home field of the World Series champions that has been transformed into one of the nation's largest COVID-19 vaccination sites.

“Dodger Stadium represents California's spirit of service. Once filled with dedicated fans, it is now filled with dedicated health care providers,” Newsom spokesperson Sahar Robertson said in a statement Monday.

The stadium also provides a more somber reminder of the pandemic: It seats 56,000 people, nearly the number of people who have died from COVID-19 in California.

Newsom's address Tuesday comes at a crucial time for the Democratic governor, who faces a likely recall election later this year fueled by anger over his handling of the pandemic.

Newsom has been crisscrossing the state in recent weeks, highlighting his administration's efforts to administer vaccinations while trumpeting the declining numbers of new coronavirus cases in the nation's most populous state.

Speaking Monday at a vaccination site in the small Central Valley community of Earlimart, Newsom said not to expect lots of policy announcements during his speech, scheduled for 6 p.m.

“I want to highlight this heroic work that's being done every single day with people that aren't getting attention or being celebrated but are the quiet heroes in this pandemic,” Newsom said. “It's a different kind of State of the State.”

In recent weeks, Newsom and the Democratic-controlled state Legislature teamed up to approve a $7.6 billion stimulus package and $6.6 billion in funding aimed at convincing public school districts to return students to classrooms.

Newsom also has loosened some coronavirus restrictions, allowing indoor youth sports with testing, announcing a limited number of fans can attend Major League Baseball games and saying theme parks like Disneyland can reopen on April 1 with limited capacity.

But the state is still struggling to vaccinate people. The Los Angeles Times reported that none of California's 58 counties have signed on to the state's centralized vaccination program being run by insurance giant Blue Shield. That has complicated the vaccine rollout.<<

TP2000

Complaining was what this forum did long before The Virus, The Guidance and Gav Gav's Total Recall. Not sure why people are objecting to it now. Maybe try another forum, or the Ignore Function. I promise, it works.

Complaining was what every successful forum has done since I was on alt.disney.disneyland usenet forums with a 56K modem.

I can't imagine there is any fan forum about any topic in the world that isn't grounded in complaints, criticism, concerns, and some good old fashioned, um, kevetching.

If we wanted nothing but happy-shiny pablum spoon fed to us by a corporate PR director, we'd just stick to the Disney Parks Blog comments section. Which is probably why very few people ever comment there. :cool:

Last edited:

castleparker

I am a firm believer that dialog is the only way forward. These people can be, exhausting, but the alternative is wallowing in a unhealthy echo chamber.

TP2000

These statistics you keep bringing up had no bearing on my original post. It apparently bugged you that we were making fun of a man in Montana, so you decided to build a strawman argument and accuse us of making fun of Montana itself. Why did you do this?

It seemed like what I was reading was two very provincial Californians making fun of a yokel bartender in Montana. Even his taste in art was made fun of.

And because this is a thread about how the state of California has decimated the theme park industry by keeping it closed, while all other states allow their theme parks to reopen, the thought of making fun of Montana (which reopened 8 months ago) seemed silly at best, and mean at worst.

So I stepped in to defend Montana's honor, by showing a few basic hard facts that prove none of us Californians should be making fun of anyone in Montana right now.

They are kicking our butt on all fronts; Covid response, Vaccine response, Economic response.

Otherwise, that was what I was dispelling, not the statistics, but your interpretation of those stats.

The official statistics are simply the official statistics, I offer no "interpretation" of them. They speak for themselves. There's nothing more to add. Which is why I often just let them sit there boldly like this, because they speak so beautifully for themselves, as science and data so often does.

Montana = 1,292 Deaths Per 1 Million, 32 Doses Per 100, 11.4% Population Fully Vaccinated, Unemployment Rate 4.4%
California = 1,375 Deaths Per 1 Million, 27 Doses Per 100, 8.6% Population Fully Vaccinated, Unemployment Rate 9.1%

Californian Elitist

Most of us who complain about something or not being able to do something will or won’t do something that is cause for said complaining. I don’t like New York City, therefore I won’t make plans to go there, unless I’m visiting family.

Some folks here have been complaining about the parks not being open and the economy tanking due to the parks being closed, but refused to buy a ticket to A Taste of Disney, are complaining about the parks reopening soon, and won’t go to IHOP across the street or stay in any of the offsite hotels. LOOOOOL.

fctiger

It doesn't sound like Disneyland is going to open April 1st since the President said they will provide an opening date soon. If it was April 1st, seem like he would just say that. But yes, I think with the restrictions along with just trying to get all the CMs back work as he alluded to makes it clear they probably couldn't open that soon even if they wanted to.

Maybe they will or just wait until the Touch of Disney event ended. That would make the most sense since they already sold the tickets. That or just not reopen DCA so soon, but I don't see how well that will go down when people would be enjoying a mostly open park (with actual rides) at DL. Anyway, all the moaning over this and chances are DL may just wait it out for a bit. Either way the park is opening again. They may not open ASAP but they will be opening. I still think June may be the best time because by then so many more people would have been vaccinated and they should be in a much higher tier by then. I guess we'll see what they do.

TP2000

>>California Gov. Gavin Newsom will deliver his third State of the State address from Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, the home field of the World Series champions that has been transformed into one of the nation's largest COVID-19 vaccination sites.

“Dodger Stadium represents California's spirit of service. Once filled with dedicated fans, it is now filled with dedicated health care providers,” Newsom spokesperson Sahar Robertson said in a statement Monday.

The stadium also provides a more somber reminder of the pandemic: It seats 56,000 people, nearly the number of people who have died from COVID-19 in California.

Newsom's address Tuesday comes at a crucial time for the Democratic governor, who faces a likely recall election later this year fueled by anger over his handling of the pandemic.

Newsom has been crisscrossing the state in recent weeks, highlighting his administration's efforts to administer vaccinations while trumpeting the declining numbers of new coronavirus cases in the nation's most populous state.

Speaking Monday at a vaccination site in the small Central Valley community of Earlimart, Newsom said not to expect lots of policy announcements during his speech, scheduled for 6 p.m.

“I want to highlight this heroic work that's being done every single day with people that aren't getting attention or being celebrated but are the quiet heroes in this pandemic,” Newsom said. “It's a different kind of State of the State.”

In recent weeks, Newsom and the Democratic-controlled state Legislature teamed up to approve a $7.6 billion stimulus package and $6.6 billion in funding aimed at convincing public school districts to return students to classrooms.

Newsom also has loosened some coronavirus restrictions, allowing indoor youth sports with testing, announcing a limited number of fans can attend Major League Baseball games and saying theme parks like Disneyland can reopen on April 1 with limited capacity.

But the state is still struggling to vaccinate people. The Los Angeles Times reported that none of California's 58 counties have signed on to the state's centralized vaccination program being run by insurance giant Blue Shield. That has complicated the vaccine rollout.<<

John & Ken laughed about this all afternoon today on their show.

There's obviously a very good drinking game to be had here, watching Governor Newsom give this address. Perhaps the most important address of his life, on the eve of the Recall Election being certified by Sacramento for this fall.

I intend to tune in with a drink in hand. 6:30pm is absolutely perfect timing! 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom