• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disneyland To Open Sept. 16th?

MoonRakerSCM

Yeah people are leaving, but they are almost immediately replaced. That's why the population has mostly still increased over the last 10 years (or if you want, as a compromise, we can agree has stayed flat compared to other states).
As the concept has been about people leaving CA for other states, per this article in the Sac Bee ( https://www.sacbee.com/news/databases/article236910698.html )-

"From 2015 to 2017, California saw a net loss of between 129,000 and 143,000 residents to domestic migration each year, according to census estimates. ... California has lost more people to other states than it has gained for much of the last two decades, census figures show."

Also the previous article I posted several days ago stating CA is expected to lose a congressional seat for the first time... AZ and TX expect to gain (3 for TX).

D

Deleted member 107043

We've officially entered the upside-down:

"Disney officials laid part of the blame for the layoffs at the feet of Newsom and his administration’s failure to issue theme park reopening guidelines.

I'm in agreement that Newsom should have established clear concise guidelines for theme parks in California by now. My hunch, though, is that whatever those guidelines end up being they will probably prohibit DLR from opening safely anytime soon.

That said I do not buy the claim that the failure to issue reopening guidelines is why Disney is laying off people. This strikes me as a ploy to win favor with Californians who aren't aware of similar layoffs at WDW, which has been open since July, and where just last week the entire state reopened and all Covid-19 restrictions were lifted, including fines for not wearing masks.

el_super

I'm in agreement that Newsom should have established clear concise guidelines for theme parks in California by now. My hunch, though, is that whatever those guidelines end up being they will probably prohibit DLR from opening safely anytime soon.

Or more specifically, will prohibit DLR from being profitable returning a net positive contribution.

Newsom wasn't the hold up all along. The state had posted and removed fragments of their amusement park guidelines over the course of the last few months, so they have clearly been working on them for awhile. They had been so conspicuously absent from discussion and communication as to make it obvious now that it was intentionally being withheld by request. Disney didn't like what the experts were saying about theme parks in a pandemic.

If the rumors are true, and Disney was going to be limited to running a locals only park, it would make sense that Disney objected. They can't make money from a local audience that is already saturated with APs. Even if they could suspend the AP program, could they really convince APs to spend money on single day visits? Probably not.

I would hate to think though that other parks are going to suffer, because Disney can't reimagine their business model, or admit that filling their park with cheap APs for decades was a bad idea. The guidelines should just be accepted for being the safe and rational way forward, and if it doesn't work for Disney, so be it.

MisterPenguin

Fully Pfizered!
Premium Member
So much has happened since yesterday morning.

Iger quit the state's pandemic task force.

Disney has seen the final guidelines and is obviously not liking them since they're now asking for them to be delayed after demanding them to be released.

mickEblu

Or more specifically, will prohibit DLR from being profitable returning a net positive contribution.

I would hate to think though that other parks are going to suffer, because Disney can't reimagine their business model, or admit that filling their park with cheap APs for decades was a bad idea. The guidelines should just be accepted for being the safe and rational way forward, and if it doesn't work for Disney, so be it.

These two things aren’t mutually exclusive. Disney has been filling their park with APs AND Newsomes guidelines are ridiculous and not feasible.

Travel Junkie

These two things aren’t mutually exclusive. Disney has been filling their park with APs AND Newsomes guidelines are ridiculous and not feasible.

Under the rumored guidelines Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Shanghai Disney would be open.
Paris, WDW, and Disneyland would be closed.

So it is feasible.

I believe they should revisit the guidelines and do what they can to get people back to work ASAP. However, IMO some posters should slow down on the rhetoric directed at the state. I know that's not a popular opinion and I have stayed quiet lately since anyone who doesn't think a certain way is shouted down. However, I believe it is a much more nuanced and complex issue than people are presenting it to be.

mickEblu

Under the rumored guidelines Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Shanghai Disney would be open.
Paris, WDW, and Disneyland would be closed.

So it is feasible.

I believe they should revisit the guidelines and do what they can to get people back to work ASAP. However, IMO some posters should slow down on the rhetoric directed at the state. I know that's not a popular opinion and I have stayed quiet lately since anyone who doesn't think a certain way is shouted down. However, I believe it is a much more nuanced and complex issue than people are presenting it to be.

Ok I forgot Disneyland was located in China/ Japan.

Last edited:

mickEblu

No one really cares about those foreign parks anyway. Disneyland is the only park that matters, second would be all of Disneyworld.

if I had the time and money to see all the parks around the world I would do it. Then again I keep choosing Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean for our family vacations. Convenience probably has something to do with it.

But yeah Disneyland will obviously always be King.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom