Disneyland To Open Sept. 16th?

MarvelCharacterNerd

Sorry my friend, rumors of a private jet are vastly over-stated. Somehow my Delta SkyMiles account was misconstrued as a Gulfstream G600. :oops:

And as I have a family vacation house to stay in here in San Diego County, which is already Red and heading quickly towards Orange, I'll be staying here until Purple OC at least gets to go to Red, after Sacramento has a dynamic conversation about it and gives OC ten swift spanks for talking back to their betters.

So no runs up to the Commerce outlet mall in LA for me any time soon, I'm afraid.
A friend of mine popped into the Carlsbad Disney outlet this weekend, so that might be a better option for you currently! :)

Stevek

Exactly, it is about $, the corporate locations can afford to spend the money to open, while the franchised locations don't have the money to clean the tables constantly, buy the plexiglass, etc. that is needed. Honestly around here the second dining rooms are allowed to reopen, most sit down restaurants will jump on it because they did before and so they have everything they need to do so. The ones that didn't were fast food and that actually makes sense, because even before all of this, most fast food dining rooms were virtually empty. But this does cause an issue in that most public restrooms are now inaccessible, which is resulting in people using the streets as restrooms, which is definitely not sanitary, but what are they supposed to do when they have to go? And yes, this is indeed really happening in cities up and down California.
Just another day in San Francisco. My buddy actually commented yesterday that he was disappointed Starbucks bathrooms aren't open as they were a go to for him while he's on the road.

Mac Tonight

Just another day in San Francisco. My buddy actually commented yesterday that he was disappointed Starbucks bathrooms aren't open as they were a go to for him while he's on the road.
For what it's worth, on the way up to Yosemite last month I stopped at the McDonalds in Oakhurst and used their bathroom no problem. 🤷‍♂️

Gottalovepluto

Exactly, it is about $, the corporate locations can afford to spend the money to open, while the franchised locations don't have the money to clean the tables constantly, buy the plexiglass, etc. that is needed. Honestly around here the second dining rooms are allowed to reopen, most sit down restaurants will jump on it because they did before and so they have everything they need to do so. The ones that didn't were fast food and that actually makes sense, because even before all of this, most fast food dining rooms were virtually empty. But this does cause an issue in that most public restrooms are now inaccessible, which is resulting in people using the streets as restrooms, which is definitely not sanitary, but what are they supposed to do when they have to go? And yes, this is indeed really happening in cities up and down California.
Finding a dang bathroom when driving in this state is a PITA! Thankfully there are rest stops where I drive but they aren’t remotely sanitary and half the people don’t wear masks.

TP2000

A friend of mine popped into the Carlsbad Disney outlet this weekend, so that might be a better option for you currently! :)

Before my new career as a Personal Shopper is launched, I should break the bad news that I'd make a lousy Personal Shopper! People would request Disneyland sweatshirts and Tinkerbell coffee mugs, but all they would get in the mail is Danish-modern cocktail shakers and monogrammed steak knives. 🤣

But, I do have good news, and that's the status of Orange County and the ability for businesses there like.... Disneyland, to reopen.

Orange County has revised and reworked it's Covid tracking website as of today to align with the brand new Color-Coded Four-Tier system Governor Newsom announced last Friday. The new county website is very easy to understand and follow; the OC health department deserves kudos for making sense of what was a very confusing roll out last week.

The news for Orange County is that while it was branded Purple with everyone else last week, statistically Orange County is already in the lower end of the Red category and on the threshold of dropping into the Orange zone. The OC tracking "dashboard" and website may be found here...

cmwade77

Before my new career as a Personal Shopper is launched, I should break the bad news that I'd make a lousy Personal Shopper! People would request Disneyland sweatshirts and Tinkerbell coffee mugs, but all they would get in the mail is Danish-modern cocktail shakers and monogrammed steak knives. 🤣

But, I do have good news, and that's the status of Orange County and the ability for businesses there like.... Disneyland, to reopen.

Orange County has revised and reworked it's Covid tracking website as of today to align with the brand new Color-Coded Four-Tier system Governor Newsom announced last Friday. The new county website is very easy to understand and follow; the OC health department deserves kudos for making sense of what was a very confusing roll out last week.

The news for Orange County is that while it was branded Purple with everyone else last week, statistically Orange County is already in the lower end of the Red category and on the threshold of dropping into the Orange zone. The OC tracking "dashboard" and website may be found here...

So a small band of OC people managed to clear up all of the confusion that the state not only was unable to, but that they actually caused?

TP2000

What's interesting on this first official day of reporting, is that Orange County was branded Purple on Friday, but the first official statistics clearly show that it's already statistically Red. And not just barely Red, but in the very low end of the Red category. And it's all based on a 7 day average with a 7 day lag in reporting, so the numbers are rock solid when used to categorize a county.

Purple = >7 new daily cases per 100K & >8% Positive Tests
Red = 4 to 7 new daily cases per 100K & 5 to 8% Positive Tests

OC on 9/1 = 5.6 new daily cases per 100K & 5% Positive Tests

So clearly Orange County is in the Red category, and at the very low end of that category to boot. But somehow it was branded Purple to start, and I'm sure it's not because the local citizens and duly elected county leaders in OC dared to talk back to their Sacramento betters over the summer. Maybe it was just a clerical error? Regardless of how OC got labeled Purple instead of Red, here we are.

So where do we go from here? It's going to take one week from today for any county in California to be reclassified a different color. The reporting comes out every Tuesday, so next Tuesday the 8th will be another report. It takes one week for a county already in a lower tier to be moved into that tier. And then it takes three consecutive weekly reports of a county being tracked in the lower tier before it is allowed to move into that lower tier. And regardless of numbers, a county is not allowed to jump a tier, it must spend three weeks in each tier before being allowed to move to the next.

So the best case scenario timeline for Orange County would seem to be...

Tuesday, September 8th - OC moves to Red Tier
Tuesday, September 29th - OC moves to Orange Tier
Tuesday, October 20th - OC moves to Yellow Tier

The move down to Red on the 8th seems to be a done deal, because it's already there. The next two dates are more open-ended, but the trajectory is clearly down.

Last edited:

TP2000

So a small band of OC people managed to clear up all of the confusion that the state not only was unable to, but that they actually caused?

Apparently. I have actually been impressed with the OC website and tracking info since last spring. It's very clear and concise and expertly maintained. It was also through that website that I found an easy and free testing location back in April when I went to get tested just for fun. :D

Here's the OC Covid website, with clear info and links on the front page. (For instance, within 2 seconds you can see that today 8 OC deaths were reported, and 5 of those deaths were from OC Nursing Homes)

And here's their reworked "dashboard" that complies with the new state Four-Tier Color-Coded tracking.

TP2000

And just like that, I only had to read that OC dashboard site for 30 seconds to realize that OC will be moving down to the Red Tier next Tuesday! I have amended my previous post where I thought it would take three weeks because that's how Newsom made it sound last week, but from the OC website there is this clear statement...

If a county is initially assigned to Purple Tier 1 and has met the criteria for a less restrictive tier the prior week, the county only needs to meet the criteria for a less restrictive tier for one more week to move to the Red Tier 2. (For the September 8, 2020 assignment, a county does not need to remain in the Purple Tier 1 for three weeks. For all subsequent assessments, a county must remain in a tier for three weeks and meet the criteria to advance as described below.)

Hooray!

So Orange County will be officially dropping to the Red category next Tuesday!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And just like that, I only had to read that OC dashboard site for 30 seconds to realize that OC will be moving down to the Red Tier next Tuesday! I have amended my previous post where I thought it would take three weeks because that's how Newsom made it sound last week, but from the OC website there is this clear statement...

If a county is initially assigned to Purple Tier 1 and has met the criteria for a less restrictive tier the prior week, the county only needs to meet the criteria for a less restrictive tier for one more week to move to the Red Tier 2. (For the September 8, 2020 assignment, a county does not need to remain in the Purple Tier 1 for three weeks. For all subsequent assessments, a county must remain in a tier for three weeks and meet the criteria to advance as described below.)

Hooray!

So Orange County will be officially dropping to the Red category next Tuesday!
Which is all covered here on one single page on the State's website (which I posted before by the way), exactly where the OC people you're praising got it from:

TP2000

Which is all covered here on one single page on the State's website (which I posted before by the way), exactly where the OC people you're praising got it from:

Got it! And I looked at that state website a few days ago, but it was just a big block of text so I missed the explanation. And none of the local TV or newsradio stations explained it either, it was all very confusing at first. ;)

It's all good news! OC is already technically Red (and very Red at that), and will formally be Red by next Tuesday.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Got it! And I looked at that state website a few days ago, but it was just a big block of text so I missed the explanation. And none of the local TV or newsradio stations explained it either, it was all very confusing at first. ;)

It's all good news! OC is already technically Red (and very Red at that), and will formally be Red by next Tuesday.
Yep, the same thing I've been saying for days now, OC will be going to Red on the 8th. But guess no one pays attention to me lol ;) :p

TP2000

BTW, if you want to see the entire State's data its here:

Thank you! Although in Newsom's and Sacramento's defense, I will say it is very wise to do this by county.

California is massive, and has 40 Million people living here. We have counties that are physically the size of many East Coast states, with millions and millions of people in each county, like LA County the size of Connecticut and with over 10 Million people.

It's just rather useless to try and govern this Covid response as a statewide blanket when our state is so huge and so diverse. The county level works well for us, even if some of our counties are three times the size of Delaware and have the population of New Jersey. :D

Travel Junkie

Real-talk: any non-crazies in here? You know, people who don’t follow the COVID-19 conspiracy theories and instead understand it’s very dangerous, has killed many, will kill more, and yet we can do some of the things we want (like theme parks—I live in liberal Connecticut and our amusement parks opened in June. 0.7% positivity rate for some reason still) if wearing masks while physically distancing ourselves as we await a safe vaccine that WE. WILL. G. D. GET!

No? I’m the only one? Okay then. In that case, I wish you guys still had your Tower of Terror. When Disneyland does finally reopen, “a warm welcome back to those of you who made it,” takes on new meaning.

There have certainly been some ummm interesting opinions? I've stayed out lately as the rhetoric is out of control and the conspiracy theories and misinformation floated around these parts to be pretty troubling. As most of the world has learned there is a path to moving on with a somewhat return to normal. Unfortunately there is too high a number of citizens in this country unwilling for one reason or another to take those steps.

My guess is that we will see Disneyland open or announce an opening date in the next month. I'm a little surprised they haven't opened up Main St and BVS to merch and outdoor dining as DownTown Disney has been very busy on the weekends and Knott's seems to be doing well with their event.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thank you! Although in Newsom's and Sacramento's defense, I will say it is very wise to do this by county.

California is massive, and has 40 Million people living here. We have counties that are physically the size of many East Coast states, with millions and millions of people in each county, like LA County the size of Connecticut and with over 10 Million people.

It's just rather useless to try and govern this Covid response as a statewide blanket when our state is so huge and so diverse. The county level works well for us, even if some of our counties are bigger than Delaware and have the population of New Jersey. :D
BTW, in case you didn't realize it, on that State data site I provided you can click on each of the counties on the left and it'll display the county data. So there is that too. You know one location where you can see all the information, imagine that...... ;) :p :cool:

Anyways its what I've been using for weeks to monitor the situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom