News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

D

Deleted member 107043

Again Hans, you think a volunteer at the Supersite should get to jump the line from Phase 3 to Phase 1A???

Offering free vaccinations to those who volunteer for 40 hours is quite literally the very least we can do as a society to show our appreciation for their generous service. I strongly believe that protecting frontline workers from contracting and spreading the virus throughout their communities ought to be a priority, and yes that includes restaurant workers, cashiers, sales clerks, folks in the travel industry, and so on of any age.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

Someone who is so desperate to get the vaccine that they are willing to lie to county officials (which would be an example of fraud, a crime) would probably want to actually be fully vaccinated.

I'm not endorsing that kind of behavior, and I fully understand that availability is sparse at the moment, but the way I look at it is he's one less person likely to contract Covid and spread it around. The more shots given the better it is for everyone.

TP2000

The more shots given the better it is for everyone.

I agree with you, but not until Phase 3.

In these first few days and weeks of vaccine distribution, we need to vaccinate the people the virus kills the most.

And the Science & Data is very clear, and has been very clear for almost a year now. Covid kills primarily people over age 65. 81% in fact. With another 15% in the 50 to 64 age group. Then the remaining 4% of deaths are the 200 Million Americans under the age of 50.

So vaccinate the old people first in Phase 1A, then once we've done that you can get all the 30 year old Virtue Signalers in the world to jump ahead from Phase 3 to Phase 2 and get a shot for doing good deeds and Tweeting about it. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe because I volunteered to park cars!

lazyboy97o

I'm not endorsing that kind of behavior, and I fully understand that availability is sparse at the moment, but the way I look at it is he's one less person likely to contract Covid and spread it around. The more shots given the better it is for everyone.
I agree. When thinking about it, while there would be various enforcement mechanisms available if really desired the idea also just felt icky. I believe most people are decent and wouldn’t view it as an easy shortcut (even more so because it is two doses) and if someone did clearly volunteer for the shot and then ditch you can make an example out of them if needed.

D

Deleted member 107043

I agree with you, but not until Phase 3.

In these first few days and weeks of vaccine distribution, we need to vaccinate the people the virus kills the most.

And the Science & Data is very clear, and has been very clear for almost a year now. Covid kills primarily people over age 65. 81% in fact. With another 15% in the 50 to 64 age group. Then the remaining 4% of deaths are the 200 Million Americans under the age of 50.

So vaccinate the old people first in Phase 1A, then once we've done that you can get all the 30 year old Virtue Signalers in the world to jump ahead from Phase 3 to Phase 2 and get a shot for doing good deeds and Tweeting about it. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe because I volunteered to park cars!

This stuff is not that hard to understand TP. A few months ago you were here complaining about businesses being closed to protect "old people", people who you said were "going to die anyway" and that Covid was "just like the flu" or some such BS. Administering vaccinations to as many people as quickly as possible across the US should not be up for debate here.

A very close friend who lives in LA County near the OC border, a county where 1 in 3 residents have been infected with coronavirus, is tending to his elderly parents at their home at this moment. His brother, who works at an Irvine medical facility and frequently visits his parents, recently came in close contact with an infected person. In fact they are housemates in the same condo. He's the perfect example of a frontline worker who should be vaccinated in order to reduce community spread and protect the elderly whose wellbeing you are so suddenly concerned about.

Nonsuch

Quick report on Disney Supersite:

My wife had an appointment (I do not qualify).
Arrived at 9:30AM for a 10:00 appointment. Appointments are every 15 minutes, and there are separate lines.
10:00 line started moving at 10:10. Wife was back to the car at 10:55.

The Supersite is operating very smoothly and efficiently.
These distribution sites should have been prepared prior to the vaccine release.

el_super

It's evident that there is no disconnect and there never has been. The disingenuousness around this topic from several posters here is real and ongoing.

You're right of course. There is a very consistent, singular purpose, to the constant posts and redirections.

For what it's worth, and trying to stay a little on topic, I've asked around and from what I am being told, Disney has absolutely nothing to do with the operation. Most of the "guest control" and support roles are being handled by volunteers.

DrAlice

Update on my parents.... At the end of the day, they still couldn't get through to their health care provider. Their county also announced (via a news interview, it isn't posted anywhere officially!!) that they are not ready to distribute vaccines to 65+, despite the governor's announcement. So, they have to go to their health care provider and can't use the county super sites. But they can't get through to the health care provider because it is overwhelmed......

I have so many things to say about this, but I can't say them here as they are mostly filled with profanity.

el_super

It's completely ridiculous. I understand states were not funded properly but they should have found the money somewhere.

Tends to be what happens when no one stands up in a room and says "I am leading this, here's what we're going to do." You have 50 states all going in different directions.

I'm a little more hopeful now though, that everyone (even at the Federal level) are sincerely trying to do the best work they can, and figure out these roll-out problems. Obviously pandemics aren't something we are accustomed to dealing with, and there's definitely been some learnings along the way. I could see this being a hard decision to make, when do you pull resources from testing/containment to crisis support/immediate care to vaccination and cleanup.

I admit I haven't been following COVID as much recently (gee I wonder why), but I do remember hearing early on that even the vaccine would make you feel sick for a few days. I had wondered how the balance between having "all hands on deck" for the surge that we were facing, versus having front line workers out sick for a few days to be vaccinated would be handled. Did they figure this out or has this not been much of an issue?

DrAlice

I admit I haven't been following COVID as much recently (gee I wonder why), but I do remember hearing early on that even the vaccine would make you feel sick for a few days. I had wondered how the balance between having "all hands on deck" for the surge that we were facing, versus having front line workers out sick for a few days to be vaccinated would be handled. Did they figure this out or has this not been much of an issue?
It is my understanding that the side effects to these vaccines are no different than typical side effects to any vaccines. That is: A) they are RARE and B) the most common effects are pain at the injection site and mild "flu-like symptoms" (mild fever, malaise, etc.) for ~24 hours. I've not read or heard anything to suggest that getting a vaccine would result in people being out of work for a few days.

To your other points... I'm trying to be patient and give hospitals and govt officials the benefit of the doubt in handleing this crazy situation. However, after almost a year of being in my house, working from home, my patience isn't what it used to be. :(

el_super

It is my understanding that the side effects to these vaccines are no different than typical side effects to any vaccines. That is: A) they are RARE and B) the most common effects are pain at the injection site and mild "flu-like symptoms" (mild fever, malaise, etc.) for ~24 hours. I've not read or heard anything to suggest that getting a vaccine would result in people being out of work for a few days.

Oh yeah ... re-reading what I wrote, I definitely don't want to propagate any notion that the vaccine side effects were of enough concern to negate the need to get the vaccine. Simply that there was concern that even if a nurse or doctor didn't feel great to the point of taking a day out, it would further strain an already desperately strained situation.

If those concerns haven't really materialized, that would be excellent news.

To your other points... I'm trying to be patient and give hospitals and govt officials the benefit of the doubt in handleing this crazy situation. However, after almost a year of being in my house, working from home, my patience isn't what it used to be. :(

I've gotten use to being at home. Maybe that's a good thing or a bad thing. I will be willing to overlook failings in December and January, but if we don't have this figured out by February, it will definitely be a problem.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Who woulda thunk it? Disneyland closed for over a year, and then used as a vaccine distribution site.

But for those not in California, all Californians have been ranked by age, lifestyle choices, and career to determine who gets a vaccine and when. There are three Phases, with Phases broken down further into Sub-Phases (1A, 1B, 1C, etc.), and then each Sub-Phase from 1B onward is broken down into Tiers. So you could be in Phase 1B, Tier Two, or you could be in Phase 2A, Tier Three, etc., etc.)

The Phases, Sub-Phases, and Tiers were explained in a concise 2 and one half hour long press conference given by Governor Newsom earlier today. A local radio host said listening to the audiobook of War & Peace would have been breezier and easier.

California is currently in Phase 1A - Tier One, and it is hoped that Phase 1B - Tier One can begin by the end of the month.

The Phase, Sub-Phase and Tiers of who will be able to be vaccinated at the Disneyland vaccination site is as such;

Phase 1A - Tier One
  • Health Care Workers
  • Workers and Residents of Nursing Homes
Phase 1B - Tier One
  • People 75 and older
  • Education Workers (teachers, daycare workers, etc.)
  • Emergency Services Workers
  • Food & Agriculture Workers (farmers, grocery store workers)
Phase 1B - Tier Two
  • People 65 and older who have underlying co-morbidities (obesity, lung disease, heart disease, diabetes)
  • Transportation & Logistics Workers (bus drivers, railroad engineers, truck drivers, trucking dispatchers)
  • Industrial, Residential & Commercial Workers (the news made a point of saying this one was very vague)
  • Critical Manufacturing Workers (whatever you think "critical" means, according to the news)
  • State Prisoners & City/County Jail Inmates
  • Homeless People
Phase 1C - Tier One
  • Anyone 50 and older
  • Anyone 16 to 49 who have underlying co-morbidities (obesity, lung disease, heart disease, diabetes)
  • Waste Management & Water Workers (trashmen, water purification plant workers)
  • Defense, Chemical, Energy Workers (military, DuPont employees, Edison employees)
  • Communications & IT Workers (Bell System employees, Best Buy Geek Squad)
  • Financial Services & Government Workers (bank tellers, bureaucrats, politicians)
  • Community Service Groups (the media made another point about this category being very vague/unknown)
Phase 2 with it's various Sub-Phases and Tiers has not been released yet. Sacramento is working on it.

But it is assumed that Phase 2 later this year will break down the remaining Californians further into age groups, lifestyle choices, and professions that will guide them on when they can get the vaccine.

Wow I wish that was our plan here in Michigan......In California I would be in 1C but in Michigan it skips this tier and am thrown in with anyone 16-64 that doesn't fall into prior categories.....THAT is alot of peeps.....I want a 1C tier!!!! Enjoy your trip to DLR.....I am hoping they make it a bit magical for all my DLR thread friends....wishing we all could get a FASTPASS......er a MAXPASS for you.....(but fastpass sounds better to my WDW self)💕👍;)

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

For what it's worth, both of my over 60, frontline health care working in-laws (Respiratory Therapist and Head Nurse in the valley) have been vaccinated. My father-in-law said his arm hurt for a few days after receiving the first dose because he wasn't properly instructed to wait 15 minutes after receiving it (it was a rush, "we have a dose available, who needs it?" kind of situation) and his wife felt pretty awful a day after receiving the second dose, but was back at it the next day.

TP2000

His brother, who works at an Irvine medical facility and frequently visits his parents, recently came in close contact with an infected person. In fact they are housemates in the same condo. He's the perfect example of a frontline worker who should be vaccinated in order to reduce community spread and protect the elderly whose wellbeing you are so suddenly concerned about.

I think we might be talking past each other on this one. ;)

I am genuinely thrilled that frontline hospital workers are in Phase 1A and can get the vaccine immediately. I was also thrilled that Governor Newsom reversed his previous decision to make people 65 and older wait until Phase 1C, and now anyone over the age of 65 can get the vaccine in Phase 1A.

You and I appear to agree on all that.

What we disagree on is the thought that someone in Phase 2 or Phase 3, a healthy 35 year old for example, could just sign up to volunteer for one shift parking cars or shuffling clipboards at the Supersite and automatically jump the line to Phase 1A and get their vaccine now instead of waiting for their assigned phase later this year.

I don't think that's how it should work at all. When it comes to Phase 1A and 1B, they were fairly well planned out with the lone exception of making those over age 65 wait until 1C. Now that they fixed that glaring error, Phase 1A and Phase 1B seem very smart to me. Because the basic Science & Data is that Covid primarily kills people over the age of 65, by a huge percentage (81%, specifically)

So let's just keep going with these first two phases, 1A and 1B, get all the frontline important workers and anyone over the age of 65 vaccinated. Once we do that, later this spring we can start letting do-gooders jump the queue by months and give people who work 40 hours of volunteering a shot and a free button.

Mac Tonight

Six Flags Magic Mountain is getting in on that mass vaccination supersite action.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is honored to provide its parking lot to serve as a Los Angeles County Department of Public Health COVID-19 vaccination location in order to facilitate a broader distribution of vaccinations,” said Jerry Certonio, manager of marketing and public relations for Six Flags.

Six Flags will be the second vaccination site to open in the Santa Clarita Valley as Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital opened its vaccination site Wednesday and anticipates 500 vaccinations per day, according to hospital spokesperson Patrick Moody.
"

TP2000

Six Flags Magic Mountain is getting in on that mass vaccination supersite action.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is honored to provide its parking lot to serve as a Los Angeles County Department of Public Health COVID-19 vaccination location in order to facilitate a broader distribution of vaccinations,” said Jerry Certonio, manager of marketing and public relations for Six Flags.

Six Flags will be the second vaccination site to open in the Santa Clarita Valley as Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital opened its vaccination site Wednesday and anticipates 500 vaccinations per day, according to hospital spokesperson Patrick Moody.
"

Good for them!

What would be great is if we could get some TR's going for these two supersites a few weeks from now, and people could comment on the difference in clientele between Six Flags and Disneyland's vaccine sites. 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom