News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

Curious Constance

They’re going to need help distributing vaccines for more than a few weeks.

You can’t catch shingles...
I had chickenpox as a kid. My husband did not. Then when I was about 20, I got an itchy rash on my neck. My husband inspected it and neither of us knew what it was, so I went to the doctor. She said it was a shingles outbreak and it wasn’t contagious. Well a couple days later guess who came down with the chickenpox! 😱

TP2000

I had chickenpox as a kid. My husband did not. Then when I was about 20, I got an itchy rash on my neck. My husband inspected it and neither of us knew what it was, so I went to the doctor. She said it was a shingles outbreak and it wasn’t contagious. Well a couple days later guess who came down with the chickenpox! 😱

Wait, you've been married since you were 20??? To the same man?!?

That's more incredible than a 20 year old getting Shingles!

But seriously, good for you!

TP2000

Have you seen this?

>>According to the plan, Biden will also invoke the Defense Production Act to “maximize the manufacture of vaccine and vaccine supplies for the country.”<<

Thus far, the problem in California is not supply. It is administration.

As of Friday evening, California has over 2.5 Million doses of unused vaccine from the Feds sitting in freezers statewide. But barely 1 Million doses have been actually administered in the last 10 days.

California doesn't need more doses. California needs a better system of distribution and administration. West Virginia, and many of the states in the Top 10 for vaccine administration, gave all their doses to local pharmacies and doctor's offices because they knew those small facilities were known and trusted by local communities, and easy to get to and maneuver through for elderly patients who need the vaccine the most. It was also the cheapest and most efficient way for the state government to do it.

So far, California has gone with these massive government-run Supersites that are clearly not working for a state of 40 Million people since California is #46 and West Virginia is #1.

To be fair to Governor Newsom, I've been to West Virginia, I had some extended family from there, and it's a very, very different place than California. But Texas is the nearest analogy to California. Texas is big and rich like California, and it has 30 million people in it and is very diverse like California.

And Texas is currently #6 in vaccine administration, while California is #46.

As a native Californian, it stings to be beaten so badly by Texas. :(

Last edited:

TP2000

Well, shoot! I had been using the Becker's Hospital Review site to track vaccine distribution in California. But it seems Bloomberg also has the same tracking function, but is updated more frequently each day. But that's not good news for California, even though Friday's data is fresher and more accurate.

As of close of business Friday, January 15th using the Bloomberg site, California has sunk to #49 on the state rankings. We are only above Alabama at this point. Bloomberg also has North Dakota moving slightly ahead of West Virginia, and bumping the Mountaineer State down to #2 while the Peace Garden State takes the #1 ranking. Texas remains in #6 spot, just as it was on the Becker's site.

Here are the Bloomberg stats on vaccine distribution for all 50 states, as of Friday evening...

2. West Virginia = 205,475 Doses Delivered, 67.6% Administered (138,485)
6. Texas = 2,105,600 Doses Delivered, 55.1% Administered (1,160,242)
24. Florida = 2,069,175 Doses Delivered, 44.9% Administered (928,259)
49. California = 3,548,575 Doses Delivered, 30.2% Administered (1,072,959)
50. Alabama = 444,650 Doses Delivered, 29.3% Administered (130,394)

Go California, Beat Alabama!

TP2000

Not sure what this thread has to do with other states and their vaccination rates, but if we’re being honest, this entire country has been a joke with the p*** poor response to this pandemic. Sad, pathetic, and embarrassing.

Well, here's some good news for you this sunny, warm weekend! :)

As of Friday, January 15th the USA currently has the fifth highest vaccination rate among all other nations!

Israel is in first place, and by a mile. The United Arab Emirates (VERY wealthy and only 9 Million citizens) is second. Then Bahrain (another VERY wealthy nation with only half the population of Orange County), then the UK and then the USA. The USA is waaaaaay ahead of all the European countries that were hit far worse than us for deaths and misery from Covid.

Here's the vaccination stats as a percent of their overall population as of Friday...

1. Israel = 25.3% Vaccinated
2. UAE = 16.8% Vaccinated
3. Bahrain = 6.4% Vaccinated
4. United Kingdom = 5.4% Vaccinated
5. United States = 3.7% Vaccinated
6. Italy = 1.6% Vaccinated
7. Spain = 1.5% Vaccinated
8. Germany = 1.1% Vaccinated
9. Sweden = 0.8% Vaccinated
10. France = 0.5% Vaccinated

It's also important to remember that California is the largest state in the nation by population. There are 40 Million people here. And we currently are in 49th place, beating only Alabama, with a miserably low 27% vaccination rate of available doses. If California was doing as well as Texas in 6th place, the USA would probably nudge ahead of the United Kingdom among the top nations of the world who are currently doing mass vaccinations.

Things are actually going very well with vaccine distribution as a whole in the USA. :D But the miserable roll out and first week in California specifically, with 40 million Americans here, really puts a dent on things for the nation overall.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Well, here's some good news for you this sunny, warm weekend! :)

As of Friday, January 15th the USA currently has the fifth highest vaccination rate among all other nations!

Israel is in first place, and by a mile. The United Arab Emirates (VERY wealthy and only 9 Million citizens) is second. Then Bahrain (another VERY wealthy nation with only half the population of Orange County), then the UK and then the USA. The USA is waaaaaay ahead of all the European countries that were hit far worse than us for deaths and misery from Covid.

Here's the vaccination stats as a percent of their overall population as of Friday...

It's also important to remember that California is the largest state in the nation by population. There are 40 Million people here. And we currently are in 49th place, beating only Alabama, with a miserably low 27% vaccination rate of available doses. If California was doing as well as Texas in 6th place, the USA would probably nudge ahead of the United Kingdom among the top nations of the world who are currently doing mass vaccinations.

Things are actually going very well with vaccine distribution as a whole in the USA. :D But the miserable roll out and first week in California specifically, with 40 million Americans here, really puts a dent on things for the nation overall.

Okay, TP.

Stevek

I had chickenpox for the first time at age 27, right before Christmas. That was fun.

Stevek

Thus far, the problem in California is not supply. It is administration.

As of Friday evening, California has over 2.5 Million doses of unused vaccine from the Feds sitting in freezers statewide. But barely 1 Million doses have been actually administered in the last 10 days.

California doesn't need more doses. California needs a better system of distribution and administration. West Virginia, and many of the states in the Top 10 for vaccine administration, gave all their doses to local pharmacies and doctor's offices because they knew those small facilities were known and trusted by local communities, and easy to get to and maneuver through for elderly patients who need the vaccine the most. It was also the cheapest and most efficient way for the state government to do it.

So far, California has gone with these massive government-run Supersites that are clearly not working for a state of 40 Million people since California is #46 and West Virginia is #1.

To be fair to Governor Newsom, I've been to West Virginia, I had some extended family from there, and it's a very, very different place than California. But Texas is the nearest analogy to California. Texas is big and rich like California, and it has 30 million people in it and is very diverse like California.

And Texas is currently #6 in vaccine administration, while California is #46.

As a native Californian, it stings to be beaten so badly by Texas. :(
Supply definitely appears to be a concern but not for the first vaccine dose, it's making sure there is supply for when folks are supposed to get their second shot.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
I had chickenpox for the first time at age 27, right before Christmas. That was fun.
I had chickenpox when I was 15. I didn't realize it at the time but the fact that I took a nap on a bench in Communicore in my beloved EPCOT Center should have been a sign that I was getting sick. The dreaded pox didn't start showing up until the day after we returned home. It was the worst. I can't imagine having it at 27. Ugh.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Supply definitely appears to be a concern but not for the first vaccine, it's making sure there is supply for when folks are supposed to get their second shot.
Which is where this weeks change in distribution is important. They will be using all supply they have in order to get more people the first shot. At which time the supply chain will have ramped up production enough to start giving out supply for the second shot. You're going to see the number of shots distributed in California skyrocket over the next week.

That's why this weird fetish on constantly pointing out where California is in terms of percentage of shots administered is pointless. California has doled out almost the same amount of shots as Texas, Texas just had less supply to start with. So of course they have a higher percentage. Again a silly pointless thing to point out when California up until this week was intentionally keeping enough supply for second doses, I might add was based on CDC recommendations until the supply chain ramped up.

George Lucas on a Bench

Eh, no one should be making excuses for the vaccine rollout in California. They need to step up their game and they need to be distributing it to more elderly and Essential Frontline Workers that are put in situations where they could potentially spread the virus in households, such as my profession. I know someone who works in a rehab who has gotten it and of course my 20-something clerk at the Target Optical. That's the "Medical Profession" loophole, but they're both young and they also both work in a controlled socially distanced environment. The rehab doesn't even have in-person contact. Nursing facilities should be aggressively vaccinated.

BrianLo

Not sure what this thread has to do with other states and their vaccination rates, but if we’re being honest, this entire country has been a joke with the p*** poor response to this pandemic. Sad, pathetic, and embarrassing.

I see things have moved on from constant reposting of bolded list of death rates because the US just looks inexcusably horrible on this metric these days.

Keep fighting the good fight though! Even if it’s a hard position.

Californian Elitist

I see things have moved on from constant reposting of bolded list of death rates because the US just looks inexcusably horrible on this metric these days.

Lol thank you!

I need to have a meeting with Trudeau. I’m ready to accept Canada as my new home. Get me out of here. 😂😭😩

TP2000

Eh, no one should be making excuses for the vaccine rollout in California. They need to step up their game and they need to be distributing it to more elderly and Essential Frontline Workers that are put in situations where they could potentially spread the virus in households, such as my profession. I know someone who works in a rehab who has gotten it and of course my 20-something clerk at the Target Optical. That's the "Medical Profession" loophole, but they're both young and they also both work in a controlled socially distanced environment. The rehab doesn't even have in-person contact. Nursing facilities should be aggressively vaccinated.

No one I know who signed up via Othena has been allowed to make an appointment for their first dose. We have a chain text message thing going on this exact topic, as folks promised to tell everyone else if Othena allowed them into the system to make an appointment. Everyone in this chain is in the newly revised Phase 1A.

I have no idea how all those young folks pictured standing in line at the Anaheim Supersite got an appointment. I assume it's like your 25 year old Target Optical girl, and her employer got her in because she's a "frontline medical worker".

If Othena doesn't start opening up for appointments for people over age 65 in the next few days, frustration is going to rise quickly.

Just posting some very good news, and some very hard data from the CDC relevant to the topic at hand of vaccine distribution. :)

The USA is currently the fifth highest country when it comes to Covid vaccination rates. If California was up near Texas at #6 instead of down at the bottom at #49 as of yesterday, the USA might be able to nudge the UK out of the fourth place position.

Notice a country not on that list? It's Canada! Their vaccine rollout has been horrible, and makes California look like a model of efficiency in comparison. Canadians are flying to Florida to get a shot because it's impossible to get one in Canada. And Canada's big "goal" is to vaccinate all Canadians by "the end of September". The goal for Orange County is to vaccinate all 3.2 Million people in OC by July 4th. Three months earlier than Canada.

This will be an interesting topic to watch play out around the world in 2021, that's for sure!

TP2000

Yeah getting it as an adult is terrible. My husband was so sick I almost took him to the emergency room several times. He was totally out of it for over a week. Very high fever, vomiting, the works.

I had it as a child. It ran rampant in elementary schools back then, and the younger you were the easier your system dealt with it.

The first Chickenpox vaccine came along in the early 1980's if I remember my doctor correctly. It's fairly unheard of now, unless parents don't vaccinate their kids.

TP2000

I need to have a meeting with Trudeau. I’m ready to accept Canada as my new home. Get me out of here. 😂😭😩

Oh, dear. You and I were literally posting things about Canada at the exact same time. I posted the bad news for Canada on the vaccine front above, while you posted you wanted to immigrate there???

I just wanted you to know that was a wild coincidence, and not a snarky jab at you personally. :)

But honestly, the news from Canada on the vaccine front this past week is not good.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom