News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

D

Deleted member 107043

What we disagree on is the thought that someone in Phase 2 or Phase 3, a healthy 35 year old for example, could just sign up to volunteer for one shift parking cars or shuffling clipboards at the Supersite and automatically jump the line to Phase 1A and get their vaccine now instead of waiting for their assigned phase later this year.

Yes we disagree on this for a number of reasons. First and foremost for me is the belief that anyone kind and generous enough to do this type of community service for 40 HOURS should be given a vaccine. If you can't understand why or how I've come to this conclusion then I don't know what to say to you.

TP2000

Yes we disagree on this for a number of reasons. First and foremost for me is the belief that anyone kind and generous enough to do this type of community service for 40 HOURS should be given a vaccine. If you can't understand why or how I've come to this conclusion then I don't know what to say to you.

But wait, the person who does volunteer for 40 hours at the OC SuperSites does get a vaccine and jumps the line from Phase 3 to Phase 1A right now. Only after they have completed the 40 hours of volunteering, obviously.

In your initial comments on this, you indicated you thought that was not only silly, but also representative of how America is a bad country (in your opinion). Indicating you thought that the volunteers should be vaccinated on their first day of volunteering.

Or did I misread all those comments from you and Lazyboy? (Wouldn't be the first time for me!)

D

Deleted member 107043

But wait, the person who does volunteer for 40 hours at the OC SuperSites does get a vaccine. Only after they have completed the 40 hours of volunteering, obviously.

How does that help if they contract Covid in the process of doing their service?

OC Covid Officials: Hey Hans, would you mind taking some time away from sheltering in place and helping your community by volunteering at your local vaccination site?

Me: Of course! Do I get a vaccine to protect myself from getting infected? Who knows who I'll come in contact with.

OC Covid Officials: Sure. We'll give it to you after you've spent a week doing your service.

Me: And assume the risk of catching coronavirus while doing so? Bye!

TP2000

How does that help if they contract Covid in the process of doing their service?

OC Covid Officials: Hey Hans, would you mind taking some time away from sheltering in place and helping your community?

Me: Of course! Do I get a vaccine to protect myself from getting infected? Who knows who I'll come in contact with.

OC Covid Officials: Sure. We'll give it to you after you've spent a week doing your service.

Me: And assume the risk of catching coronavirus while doing so? Bye!

Well, yes, if that person is actually still "sheltering in place" (How very March, 2020 of them!) and actually still obeying the Stay-At-Home-Order and hasn't left their home in months except to do mobile pickup at the grocery store. Then yes, they aren't going to be a good candidate for volunteer work parking cars at the Supersite.

But for the majority of folks who do leave their home, going to Target and drive-thru windows and barbershops and Nordstrom and IKEA and Christmas dinner, then they are probably going to be okay with the personal risk analysis of helping to park cars or stack clipboards out in a sprawling outdoor parking lot.

A quick Google News search shows that Orange County doesn't have a need for more volunteers, and the Supersite is running daily now, so it appears that they have the staffing they need. Something to watch for, in the meantime if they do need more volunteer help.

If it weren't so dang hot, I'd have half a mind to go volunteer to park cars for a few hours just for the novelty of it. :D

D

Deleted member 107043

But for the majority of folks who do leave their home, go to Target and drive-thru windows and barbershops and Nordstrom and IKEA and Christmas dinner, then they are probably going to be okay with the personal risk analysis of helping to park cars or stack clipboards out in a sprawling outdoor parking lot.

Ya'll are still going to barbershops and hanging out at Nordstrom in LA/OC? No wonder the infection rates are so high down there! 😲

lazyboy97o

What we disagree on is the thought that someone in Phase 2 or Phase 3, a healthy 35 year old for example, could just sign up to volunteer for one shift parking cars or shuffling clipboards at the Supersite and automatically jump the line to Phase 1A and get their vaccine now instead of waiting for their assigned phase later this year.
Not possible.

TP2000

Ya'll are still going to barbershops and hanging out at Nordstrom in LA/OC? No wonder the infection rates are so high down there! 😲

Nordstrom is open daily. All malls are open in the entire state, as you likely know.

I have a haircut appointment tomorrow, as the non-chain barbers and beauty parlors are all still open in OC. In LA, they are mostly still closed because LA County has stricter enforcement. There is no enforcement of any kind here in OC for businesses that were forced to close a third time back in November for the Stay-At-Home Order (salons, barbers, personal care, outdoor dining, etc.). LA is much different, and much more strict than OC is.

The Covid rates are very high throughout working class east Los Angeles and south Los Angeles, and drop off dramatically in the middle and upper class neighborhoods along the ocean. As has always been the trend. The same is true for Orange County this month; very high rates in the tightly packed apartment neighborhoods of working-class west Anaheim and Santa Ana, and then dwindling to almost nothing in the upper-middle class suburbs in the rest of OC.

San Bernardino County = 140 Cases Per 100K
Riverside County = 128 Cases Per 100K
Los Angeles County = 127 Cases Per 100K
Orange County = 91 Cases Per 100K
San Diego County = 90 Cases Per 100K

Those numbers are a good time to remind us that Disneyland will not be allowed to open at 25% capacity and no indoor queues until that number gets down to 1 (one) Case Per 100K for Orange County, population 3.2 Million. :oops:

lazyboy97o

No, it's not thank goodness. But that was the scenario that Hans thought should happen. And because it is not allowed to happen, Hans even used it as an example of why he thinks America is a bad country.
No, your scenario is not possible. There are two doses. Someone who just left right away would not be fully vaccinated.

TP2000

No, your scenario is not possible. There are two doses. Someone who just left right away would not be fully vaccinated.

Oh, sure! I get it. Good point.

Okay, so that throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing anyway. You need two doses, spaced exactly 28 days apart. So what are volunteers to do? Agree to volunteer to park cars at the Supersite, go on January 16th for their first dose, return on February 13th for their second dose, and then start parking cars on February 14th?

They need volunteers NOW, and they got a bunch of nice folks to agree to volunteer to help them this week.

But they won't be fully vaccinated until late February or early March, after they get their first dose upon completion of 40 hours of volunteer work. And while I'm not an expert on this Covid vaccine, I assume it is like other vaccines that take up to a month to build full efficacy after the shot? I know that for my Shingrix vaccine, after I received the second dose two months after the first dose, my doctor told me it would take 4 weeks for my immune system to act on the final dose and there was a chance I could still catch Shingles in the meantime.

I got both Shingrix shots a couple years ago now, so thankfully no Shingles for me! I had an uncle years ago who got Shingles, and that's a nasty virus!

lazyboy97o

Oh, sure! I get it. Good point.

Okay, so that throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing anyway. You need two doses, spaced exactly 28 days apart. So what are volunteers to do? Agree to volunteer to park cars at the Supersite, go on January 16th for their first dose, return on February 13th for their second dose, and then start parking cars on February 14th?

They need volunteers NOW, and they got a bunch of nice folks to agree to volunteer to help them this week.

But they won't be fully vaccinated until late February or early March, after they get their first dose upon completion of 40 hours of volunteer work. And while I'm not an expert on this Covid vaccine, I assume it is like other vaccines that take up to a month to build full efficacy after the shot? I know that for my Shingrix vaccine, after I received the second dose two months after the first dose, my doctor told me it would take 4 weeks for my immune system to act on the final dose and there was a chance I could still catch Shingles in the meantime.

I got both Shingrix shots a couple years ago now, so thankfully no Shingles for me! I had an uncle years ago who got Shingles, and that's a nasty virus!
They’re going to need help distributing vaccines for more than a few weeks.

You can’t catch shingles...

TP2000

They’re going to need help distributing vaccines for more than a few weeks.

You can’t catch shingles...

No, you can't "catch" it. You get it if you had Chickenpox as a child and then the virus just continues to sit in your body for decades and reactivates as Shingles when you are older, usually in your 60's or later. It's based on the Chickenpox virus.

Which is how my doctor explained it to me. I'm sure you can provide more info. :cool:

I had Chickenpox as a child, we all did. And seeing how Shingles infected my uncle a couple decades ago, I was thrilled to get Shingrix. I got Zostavax years earlier, but that vaccine was crap and problematic and they discontinued it once Shingrix came along.

Last edited:

TP2000

Yes, but the first injection reduces the chance of infection by roughly 60%. I'd rather have that than nothing.

It sounds like you aren't a good candidate for volunteering at the Supersites up there in the Bay Area then. How are they handling that issue up there, do you know? Are volunteers being given the shot before they begin parking cars or restocking forms?

I also assume it takes at least a couple weeks to build that 60% in your system after the first shot. All vaccines are like that, it takes at least a couple weeks to build immunity, or partial immunity before you go for your second or third shot.

I got the Twinrix vaccine for hepatitis because I do regular overseas travel. It took three separate shots over a six month period before I was fully vaccinated!

TP2000

This seems like a good place to bring back an oldy but a goody.

Welp, gang, it's 4pm on a Friday in Sacramento and our bureaucrats and elected leaders have all gone home for the weekend. While Sacramento has stopped answering their phones, Becker's has just updated their vaccine distribution stats for our 50 nifty states.

Unfortunately, California slipped two spots today down to #46. And our arch-nemesis Arkansas rocketed ahead of us. But at least.... at least... California is still ahead of Alabama! Texas and Florida held strong, and Texas gets the prize for being the first state to go over 1 Million doses administered.

Also, several million more doses were distributed to the states today by the Feds. There is currently 30,628,175 doses distributed, and 3.4% of the US population has already been vaccinated.

Covid Vaccines Administered by State as of 1/15/21

1. West Virginia
160,975 Doses Distributed, 73.7% Doses Administered (118,660)

6. Texas
2,105,600 Doses Distributed, 49.6% Doses Administered (1,043,624)

22. Florida
1,970,875 Doses Distributed, 39.3% Doses Adminstered (774,485)

46. California
3,450,175 Doses Distributed, 27.5% Doses Administered (975,293)

Go California, Beat Alabama!

Disneyland is still closed.

Last edited:

DrAlice

Tried to schedule my mother-in-law for a vaccine today and she has suddenly decided she's not sure if she wants to get one...likely some family members that think it's fake because their leader told them. Meanwhile, my daughter (type 1 diabetic) is in tears because she knows she's higher risk and would gladly take the one granny won't. Ugh.
I'm sorry. You are not alone in this situation. It's frustrating and heartbreaking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom