News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

el_super

I was a bit surprised they didn't put these sites in the parking structures...maybe not enough open air?

The parking structures are still technically being used by Disneyland cast members. Using the remote lot has the benefit of keeping Disney out of the way entirely. From what I am hearing, it doesn't sound like Disney is too happy with the associations being drawn and some people actually thinking/saying they are getting their vaccines from Disney.

I would think though, probably more safety related with being outdoors in the sun. There's still a fair amount of shade though.

lazyboy97o

OC Health Department made the decision on where they would be distributing the vaccine. So I expect they understand better than some poster on a Disney Fan Site how to distribute the vaccine efficiently based on the requirement for the specific vaccines.
Not just the Orange County Health Department but many others across the country. Clinics have been the plan for awhile now.
I was a bit surprised they didn't put these sites in the parking structures...maybe not enough open air?
The parking garage may not be considered safe from an emergency egress perspective. A parking structure is designed differently from an assembly structure like would be used for a large group of people. There are also constraints with equipment access. Things like the elevators are also a potential bottleneck in moving people.

TP2000

How many pharmacies can actually handle the vaccine? How many doses go to waste with your scheme of four per hour?

I don't know, but pharmacies are already set up to administer the 15 or so vaccines approved for pharmacy distribution by the CDC (many for old folks); Twinrix, Shingrix, Pneumovax, Prevnar, MMR, Menactra, etc.

Also, many American pharmacies outside California are already administering shots. Meijer, that local Midwest supermarket chain we talked about a few days ago, began today giving Covid shots inside supermarkets at their pharmacy counters. This type of Covid vaccine administration is happening right now inside Midwest supermarkets. Next to the dairy case and across from the Duraflame log display.

If the 256 Meijer supermarket pharmacies in Michigan are set up to meet CDC rules for storage and administration, something tells me the pharmacies in California can do it too.

Do you think that public health policy should be decided by quick Google searching?

No. I would assume that to get into leadership of public policy you'd need at least a 4 year college degree in Government and/or Public Policy, especially for a very large and very wealthy county (big budget $$$!) like Orange County. For the medical side of things, obviously you'd also need a medical degree. I have neither.

But I'm not making policy decisions or medical diagnosis, I am merely weighing in on the topic at hand; a Covid vaccine Supersite set up in the Disneyland parking lot.

Speaking of that Supersite, it's closed today. Because it's windy. Well, it's not really windy yet. It's breezy?

This weather station is located a block from the Supersite. It's currently 66 degrees with a steady wind from the north at 5mph, with gusts to 6mph. It is supposed to get windier later this afternoon. Orange County's only Supersite for vaccine distribution is closed. Your local CVS is open. :rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

I don't know, but pharmacies are already set up to administer the 15 or so vaccines approved for pharmacy distribution by the CDC (many for old folks); Twinrix, Shingrix, Pneumovax, Prevnar, MMR, Menactra, etc.
So again, you're a self proclaimed "news junkie" who has missed the big international story about the very specific storage and handling requirements of the authorized vaccines.

If the 256 Meijer supermarket pharmacies in Michigan are set up to meet CDC rules for storage and administration, something tells me the pharmacies in California can do it too.
Maybe read your own article for the actual number of places. It's not starting at all locations.

TP2000

What a great idea! They have the entire Mickey & Friends, plus the brand new Pixar Pals next to it to use.

I know the parking structure has already been pooh-poohed in the preceding posts by our public policy and code enforcement experts here in this thread, but I see no reason why they couldn't move this operation into the unused parking structures.

The Supersite is already closed today due to "winds", but the forecast gets worse from here. As the weather is wont to do in OC from January into mid March. After the past two weeks of lovely, warm weather, it is turning seasonably cold and rainy starting this weekend. The Anaheim forecast...

Saturday = High 58, Low 41, Rain Showers All Day
Sunday = High 61, Low 43, Morning Rain Showers
Monday = High 58, Low 38, All Day Rain
Tuesday = High 59, Low 39, Rain Thru Early Evening
Wednesday = High 60, Low 42, Afternoon Rain Showers

I'm thinking that if they open the outdoor Supersite in these conditions, by about Monday afternoon they'd wished they had put it in the parking structure.

But again, my main concern is expecting the elderly to maneuver this sprawling, massive outdoor Supersite. In the cold and rain. This is not good public policy for the winter months.

TP2000

So again, you're a self proclaimed "news junkie" who has missed the big international story about the very specific storage and handling requirements of the authorized vaccines.

If it's good enough for the Meijer supermarket chain in Michigan, and CVS and Walgreens nationwide, I don't know why it's not good enough for the Ralph's supermarket chain in California and the CVS stores in Orange County. Do you?

I mean, I know it's cold right now in Michigan, but they aren't keeping this Covid vaccine stashed in a snowbank behind the store. They've got the Covid vaccine in the pharmacy freezers inside the store, and they are today administering shots into old people's arms inside the store. At the store pharmacy back by the dairy case.

Maybe read your own article for the actual number of places. It's not starting at all locations.

No, it started today at 120 locations, ramping up to the 256 Meijer supermarkets across the Midwest in the weeks ahead.

lazyboy97o

If it's good enough for the Meijer supermarket chain in Michigan, and CVS and Walgreens nationwide, I don't know why it's not good enough for the Ralph's supermarket chain in California and the CVS stores in Orange County. Do you?
Because I'm not willfully obtuse so I can blame persons I don't like.

TP2000

The parking structures are still technically being used by Disneyland cast members.
They can't be using more than one or two floors of the Mickey&Friends/Pixar Pals structure for CM's. It has 16,000 spaces in that facility; they can't be using more than 1,000 or 2,000 spaces (a floor or two) for CM's. Especially with the additional thousands of CM parking spaces at the various CM designated lots on Harbor, Ball Road, Disneyland Drive, etc.

Nearly the entire Resort population has been laid off or furloughed. There's hardly any CM's left on the job.

Using the remote lot has the benefit of keeping Disney out of the way entirely. From what I am hearing, it doesn't sound like Disney is too happy with the associations being drawn and some people actually thinking/saying they are getting their vaccines from Disney.
Now that's a very interesting point!

I have been surprised at how the media latched on to the word "Disneyland!" for this Supersite. Every TV spot, every talk radio mention, every online news report used the word "Disneyland" to describe who and where the vaccine was being given out. Disneyland got a ton of exposure, but probably not the kind they wanted. Every person I've talked to for the past week about this has also just casually said "the vaccine at Disneyland".

I imagine many people do think Disneyland CM's are involved in this.

And some people might even be disappointed when they are directed to a generic satellite parking field instead of ushered onto Main Street USA to be given a shot by Nurse Minnie while the Disneyland Band plays a peppy tune.

5092375efc272cb2aa2b404d8288576d.jpg

The branding of this Supersite being "At Disneyland!" has been very effective, but I can easily imagine how TDA and even Burbank are upset about it now.

I would think though, probably more safety related with being outdoors in the sun. There's still a fair amount of shade though.

Again with the thought that this vaccine must be administered outdoors. We all do remember it's January, right? Southern California is about the only place in the nation, except Hawaii and southern Florida, where January weather permits vaccine administration in outdoor tents. Except today, of course, because it's breezy in Anaheim.

The rest of the USA is getting their shots indoors today. At pharmacies, inside supermarkets, in school gyms and city auditoriums, convention centers, etc., etc.

Somehow, those states are managing to administer a great many more shots per capita than California is doing with it's four current Supersites. Except today it's only three Supersites, because Anaheim is closed for wind. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TP2000

This is a great way to use idle Disneyland for COVID vaccinations. If only we had COVID vaccinations.
California: 865,387 people vaccinated in a month!
California Population; 39,650,000 = .02% have been vaccinated and the extra doses that were supposed to be there, just aren't there.
This does not sound like it is proceeding at Warp Speed to me.
I'm figuring June or July.
I guess every journey starts with the first step but we seem to rest for a few hours after that first step.
The greatest country in the world with the best health care system and this is what we get?

I know it's very stylish in some social circles now to declare that the USA is a failure at everything. But on this topic, the basic hard data and the reality shows otherwise.

The USA is currently way ahead of most other countries, especially large nations with tens of millions of people. When it comes to big nations, we are really only being beaten by our friends in the United Kingdom, and I'd be interested to hear how they are performing so well over there. I imagine the British are even giving their Covid shots indoors! o_O

But the rest of Europe is far behind the USA, particularly in some of the European nations that have higher Covid death rates than the USA.

As of January 19th, here is the rankings for nations on vaccine distribution, total and per capita shots into arms

United Kingdom = 4.5 Million Doses Given, 6.8 Doses Per 100 Brits
United States = 15 Million Doses Given, 4.5 Doses Per 100 Americans
Italy = 1.2 Million Doses Given, 1.9 Doses Per 100 Italians
Canada = 590,000 Doses Given, 1.6 Doses Per 100 Canadians
Ireland = 77,000 Doses Given, 1.6 Doses Per 100 Irishmen
Germany = 1.1 Million Doses Given, 1.4 Doses Per 100 Germans
Norway = 49,000 Doses Given, 0.9 Doses Per 100 Norwegians
Sweden = 79,000 Doses Given, 0.8 Doses Per 100 Swedes
Belgium = 100,000 Doses Given, 0.8 Doses Per 100 Belgians
France = 480,000 Doses Given, 0.7 Doses Per 100 Frenchmen
Netherlands = 40,000 Doses Given, 0.2 Doses Per 100 Dutchmen

Then there are the western nations that have not yet even begun to administer vaccines to their citizens. These nations don't even have mass supplies of vaccine delivered to their soil yet. They can't begin vaccinating their citizens for several more weeks or months. Nations like Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Switzerland, etc. have no public vaccine distribution yet. 0.0 Doses Given so far for those nations.

Last edited:

TP2000

The wind has picked up this afternoon in the foothills seven miles due east of Disneyland. I would now call it "blustery" instead of merely "breezy". 🍃

That weather station I linked above that is a block from Anaheim's Supersite is slightly windier now, but not by much. At 1:45 they show gusts up to 8mph from the north. And suddenly there's now a chance of rain this evening. The weather changed fast today after the past two weeks of sun and heat!

In other news, I heard on the radio today that OC's second Supersite will be down in South County, at the campus of Soka University. It turns out there were a couple news articles about this last week.

Now some of you should sit down for this shocking news.... the Soka University Supersite will be indoors. They won't be using the campus parking lots, they will be using the campus gym to administer up to 5,000 shots per day once it's fully ramped up.

From the article...

Aliso Viejo Mayor Tiffany Ackley said the gym on campus can be transformed into a makeshift medical clinic within 48 hours.

“We have seen people just waiting in lines outside in the heat, people who perhaps shouldn’t be doing that,” added Ackley. “People can come here and it will be indoors, more climate-controlled, and more comfortable for people.”

Exactly when the site will open has yet to be officially announced, but Ackley said it could be soon.

TP2000

The point is that you keep missing, California is speeding up administering of the vaccine. #44 as of today (Sunday), another week from now could be in the 30s or higher.

Bloomberg just updated their site after the Holiday weekend. All the big news organizations have these Covid Vaccination tracking metrics on their front pages; New York Times, NBC, etc., but we can just stick to Bloomberg as they have lots of nifty information on their tracking site, once you prove you aren't a robot.

California fell back from #44 to #47.

#2 West Virginia = 8.7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 76% of Doses Administered (156,373)
#9 Texas = 4.7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 64.5% of Doses Administered (1,358,676)
#21 Florida = 5.4 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 56.4% of Doses Administered (1,166,458)
#47 California = 3.5 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 39.3% of Doses Administered (1,393,224)

There are currently about 2.1 Million unused doses sitting in freezers across California. Additional supply arrives weekly.

Again stop focusing on the ranking of shots used and look just at the pure doses administered, that is what is important here.

If it doesn't matter how many vaccinations you give out to the population, then why is every media company tracking that information publicly on their websites? Why is SoCal talk radio this afternoon discussing this exact topic, and California's very low ranking, non-stop?

Practical Pig

Actually, I would leap at a chance to go into the Walgreens I use for a jab at the earliest opportunity. Of course at any given time there are maybe five employees in there and they often outnumber the customers. But I understand that people have different levels of concern and anxiety, and feel no need to ridicule anyone about that.

TP2000

Actually, I would leap at a chance to go into the Walgreens I use for a jab at the earliest opportunity. Of course at any given time there are maybe five employees in there and they often outnumber the customers. But I understand that people have different levels of concern and anxiety, and feel no need to ridicule anyone about that.

Agreed. I think these outdoor Supersites were a good idea overall, although they clearly aren't working very well here in the middle of winter. The problem is these four Supersites are the main way the general public in California is getting vaccinated now, and in the immediate future. I can see the Supersites being very effective this April and May when the weather gets better and you're working through young, able-bodied folks in Phase 2 and Phase 3 that can walk a few hundred yards easily. And, the younger Californians instinctively know how to use Apps and the Internet to get stuff.

But overall, the stats after the first five weeks of vaccine distribution/administration speak for themselves. California is doing a bad job at this. We are today ranked #47, far behind Texas and even Florida.

For the amount of taxes we pay to live here, and for how smart and effective Sacramento always tells us they are, being in 47th place out of 50 is not acceptable.

California needs the ability for its 8,000 local pharmacies spread across the state to begin offering Covid shots ASAP. Yes, pharmacies are indoors. But for ease of use, convenient locations, highly trained and regulated staff, and even neighborly familiarity, local pharmacies handily beat the concept of the massive Supersites. Especially for older folks.

Last edited:

Practical Pig

Incidentally, here in Humboldt, 90% of our vaccine supply has been" paused" do to an unusually high number of extreme allergic reactions at a vaccination event in San Diego. One batch of the Moderna vaccine has been pulled from distribution, for now at least. But it seems as if almost all of our supply consisted of that batch. Follow-up vaccinations are being missed as the remaining usable supply is being prioritized to first-time jabs. Even though our numbers here are small, we apparently will be falling behind in the distribution stats due to this issue.

This new supply issue affects a week's worth of California jabs [emphasis added]:

"The lot, Moderna 041L20A, consists of 330,000 doses, a week’s worth of vaccines for the state, and as much as 90% of the doses the Humboldt County Public Health has on hand for vaccinations at its clinics this week."

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Bloomberg just updated their site after the Holiday weekend. All the big news organizations have these Covid Vaccination tracking metrics on their front pages; New York Times, NBC, etc., but we can just stick to Bloomberg as they have lots of nifty information on their tracking site, once you prove you aren't a robot.

California fell back from #44 to #47.

#2 West Virginia = 8.7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 76% of Doses Administered (156,373)
#9 Texas = 4.7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 64.5% of Doses Administered (1,358,676)
#21 Florida = 5.4 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 56.4% of Doses Administered (1,166,458)
#47 California = 3.5 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 39.3% of Doses Administered (1,393,224)

There are currently about 2.1 Million unused doses sitting in freezers across California. Additional supply arrives weekly.

Those numbers are outdated again, California has given out 1,454,626 doses as of yesterday.

Also supply isn't arriving weekly. There are major delays in both Pfizer and Moderna shipping right now. There is no shipment this week.

Also 330,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine have been taken out of the supply in California due to an adverse reaction concern.

If it doesn't matter how many vaccinations you give out to the population, then why is every media company tracking that information publicly on their websites? Why is SoCal talk radio this afternoon discussing this exact topic, and California's very low ranking, non-stop?

It does matter how many vaccinations are being given out. But that isn't what you've been tracking.

lazyboy97o

Has anyone said they wouldn’t be comfortable being vaccinated in a pharmacy? While your pharmacy is usually empty mine more often than not has a line. Those not working the counter right now are working extra shifts at public clinics and in-facility clinics at long term care facilities, so to add vaccines now would mean one less person working on prescriptions. It’s not that pharmacies are an inappropriate venue, just that between the infrastructure and staffing needs the logistics are not yet there across the board. It’s starting to happen and will grow as those issues become less of a limitation.

George Lucas on a Bench

Even though I regularly work in Skilled Nursing Facilities, I still don't qualify for the vaccine. So if I end up Covid positive and wiping out the contents of one of these Skilled Nursing Facilities, don't blame me. I tried to get immunized and was flatly refused.

TP2000

Those numbers are outdated again, California has given out 1,454,626 doses as of yesterday.

They're from the Bloomberg site that was updated at about 3:00pm today, Pacific time. There's a lot of different sources because nearly every news outlet in the nation is tracking this stuff. But we've used Bloomberg a lot in this thread.
Also supply isn't arriving weekly. There are major delays in both Pfizer and Moderna shipping right now. There is no shipment this week.

Also 330,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine have been taken out of the supply in California due to an adverse reaction concern.

I hope they didn't use the word "seizure" to describe the adverse reactions. ;)
It does matter how many vaccinations are being given out. But that isn't what you've been tracking.

I've noted the actual number of doses administered in each state several times in this thread. Above in today's statistics update you can see those numbers in parenthesis on each line. For instance, taken from above...

Texas = (1,358,676)
California = (1,393,324)

Practical Pig

Has anyone said they wouldn’t be comfortable being vaccinated in a pharmacy? While your pharmacy is usually empty mine more often than not has a line. Those not working the counter right now are working extra shifts at public clinics and in-facility clinics at long term care facilities, so to add vaccines now would mean one less person working on prescriptions. It’s not that pharmacies are an inappropriate venue, just that between the infrastructure and staffing needs the logistics are not yet there across the board. It’s starting to happen and will grow as those issues become less of a limitation.
Not that I've noticed. And I've had a high level of agreement with you throughout this topic. Please note that I said " ... I would leap at a chance to go into the Walgreens I use for a jab at the earliest opportunity." That doesn't suggest that I think the earliest opportunity should or could be "right now, dammit!"

Will the pharmacies not be making profit off each jab? I honestly don't know, but have assumed so. If so, that's a lot of extra business/profit to address staffing issues. I certainly agree that this is a process that requires time to work through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom