News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

TP2000

Also let me just say, its easy to point to WV and claim they did it better when that state has only administered 153K doses. I believe California did that in the first few days. So your claims that WV and some of the smaller states are doing better is misinformed at best.

It's about numbers per capita. No state is nearly as large as California, with 39.5 Million people in it. West Virginia is a poor, rural state with only 1.7 Million people in it. That's about half the population of Orange County. West Virginia has no city with more than 50,000 people in it. Anaheim has a population of 350,000, for comparison.

Bloomberg updated their site late on Sunday, January 17th to reflect updated numbers from this weekend. California moved up to #44 from #49, where it was at #44 early last week. Texas moved up one to #5, from #6. Florida shot up to #14, from #22. West Virginia and North Dakota continue to duke it out for #1.

The current rankings as of late Sunday, January 17th...

#2 West Virginia = 74.6% of Vaccine Doses Administered (153,219)
#5 Texas = 60.6% of Vaccine Doses Administered (1,276,808)
#14 Florida = 53.1% of Vaccine Doses Administered (1,099,535)
#44 California = 36.7% of Vaccine Doses Administered (1,303,518)

We're Number 44! We're Number 44! (doesn't quite have a ring to it, does it?)

D

Deleted member 107043

You keep using that ranking but I don't know if you really understand it.

Don't be fooled. He understands it.

I suppose TP has to scratch for something to fuss about now that the fake drama over Newsom's dinner at French Laundry has blown over. Nonstop posts complaining about Sacramento and California's mishandling of the vaccination rollout yet not a single word about Trump and how the White House screwed the national immunization effort because it was occupied executing poor people, issuing pardons to the rich, coercing state election officials, pushing blatant lies to the GOP base that the November presidential election results were fraudulent, and attempting to overthrow a branch of the government. Who has time to deal with a pandemic with all that on their plate?

TP2000

I suppose TP has to scratch for something to fuss about now that the fake drama over Newsom's dinner at French Laundry has blown over.

That French Laundry thing hasn't blown over. It's still sitting there in political minds. It was big. And I have been surprised how it's been used in national media several months later. It's like Newsom's Chapaquiddick; it blew over (or just politely ignored) in Boston, but it sat there nationally for decades and prevented Teddy from running for President in '72 and '76 and '80. Teddy was done after that, and remained the Senior Senator from the Bay State for the rest of his life.

At least with Newsom there wasn't a dead blonde in a sunken Oldsmobile. There was just an admittedly fabulous dinner party that went unreported on for a full week before a French Laundry staffer tattled on him. Once he was caught, Newsom lied about it being outdoors. Then two days after that lie the first photos were released from a fellow diner showing they were actually fully indoors in a small private room. Oops.

Governor Newsom and First Partner's dinner at The French Laundry hasn't gone away. Especially when you learn other guests at that indoor dinner party were the President of the California Medical Association and their top lobbyist. It's still a thing, and will be a thing if he ever tries to run for President in '24 or '28.

This story in the right-wing LA Times was from a couple weeks ago.

Or famously right-wing Newsweek.

Nonstop posts complaining about Sacramento and California's mishandling of the vaccination rollout yet not a single word about Trump...

California is #44 on the list of 50 states. Do you think you're getting your tax dollars worth with 44th place? I don't.

Texas rose a spot to #5 this weekend. And that stings, pard'ner. 🤠

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's about numbers per capita. No state is nearly as large as California, with 39.5 Million people in it. West Virginia is a poor, rural state with only 1.7 Million people in it. That's about half the population of Orange County. West Virginia has no city with more than 50,000 people in it. Anaheim has a population of 350,000, for comparison.

Bloomberg updated their site late on Sunday, January 17th to reflect updated numbers from this weekend. California moved up to #44 from #49, where it was at #44 early last week. Texas moved up one to #5, from #6. Florida shot up to #14, from #22. West Virginia and North Dakota continue to duke it out for #1.

The current rankings as of late Sunday, January 17th...

#2 West Virginia = 74.6% of Vaccine Doses Administered (153,219)
#5 Texas = 60.6% of Vaccine Doses Administered (1,276,808)
#14 Florida = 53.1% of Vaccine Doses Administered (1,099,535)
#44 California = 36.7% of Vaccine Doses Administered (1,303,518)

We're Number 44! We're Number 44! (doesn't quite have a ring to it, does it?)

The point is that you keep missing, California is speeding up administering of the vaccine. #44 as of today (Sunday), another week from now could be in the 30s or higher. You're so focused on the "blame game" and some silly ranking that you are blinded to the fact that California has given out MORE vaccine than any other state including Texas based just on what happened this weekend. So Yay Texas is #5, we're still kicking their a$$ in the amount of vaccine actually getting into the arms of people. CALIFORNIA #1!

Again stop focusing on the ranking of shots used and look just at the pure doses administered, that is what is important here:

vaccine.png

Honestly I couldn't care less that WV or ND has used up a majority of their supply. All that means is they don't have much more currently available to give to their residents. Which means their residents will be waiting until those states get more. Whereas here in California we can continue to hand out more doses to more people and get a larger portion of our population vaccinated. This state doesn't have to wait for more supply, we have it, while STILL getting more supply.

Again you focus on the wrong things.

spock8113

This is a great way to use idle Disneyland for COVID vaccinations. If only we had COVID vaccinations.
California: 865,387 people vaccinated in a month!
California Population; 39,650,000 = .02% have been vaccinated and the extra doses that were supposed to be there, just aren't there.
This does not sound like it is proceeding at Warp Speed to me.
I'm figuring June or July.
I guess every journey starts with the first step but we seem to rest for a few hours after that first step.
The greatest country in the world with the best health care system and this is what we get?

lazyboy97o

Which seem almost exactly opposite of all the states in the Top 10. West Virginia, a very poor and rural state if there ever was one, leaned heavily on local pharmacies to get shots into arms of the elderly first. Texas used a hybrid of vaccine "hubs" that were shockingly indoors but also used local pharmacies to get shots into arms of the elderly. Michigan begins using pharmacies about 12 hours from now, hundreds and hundreds of pharmacies (also indoors!) across the Wolverine State just on Monday alone.
At this point you are just lying.

Old Mouseketeer

I got my shot at Disneyland on Saturday. Fortunately for me, OC Health Dept. acted immediately on the CDC recommendation to open up vaccination to those 65 and older. I was able to register online at Othena.com (the vendor that OC Health selected to create their online app for registration). It took a few tries to register myself in the system online and then to use the app on my phone to schedule the actual appointment. The process had similar delays to registering for unemployment with CA EDD last April because of the glut of users. Overall I was happy with the Othena system.

Things at Bullseye Lot were pretty well organized. They could have used some large directional signage in the parking lot because the entrance to the queue was all the way at the West end of Bullseye lot. They could have used some Disney guest handling training for the OCTA workers managing the queue--they were not doing any proactive spieling/announcing to the people in line. But overall it was well laid out. I ended up waiting a little more than half an hour in the queue before actually entering the tents area. First was temp and ID check. Some people had paper printouts of their appointment confirmation, but everyone was happy to read it from my phone. They scanned the QR code on my phone a couple of times, including when I sat down for the shot, which was given by a paramedic. Everyone was very helpful and seemed to appreciate every time I thanked them. I received the Moderna vaccine which means I go back in four weeks and will have reached full immunity around the beginning of March. Of course, I'll continue masking and social distancing until we are in the clear (probably until sometime between Labor Day and New Years I would guess).

Based on earlier projections I didn't expect to get my shot until February or March. Since the CDC announced the recommendation to open it up to 65+ I have been surprised at the emotional reaction I have had. I think the pressure of staying isolated within the circumstances of my living situation and maintaining the disciplines of staying safe had really mounted up. I'm incredibly relieved to start the immunization process--it really is a weight off my shoulders. Within the last two weeks one close friend and a niece have lost parents to COVID (both were over 80) so it was already an emotional time. So to find out that I would be eligible for the vaccine now was really a huge relief. Every time I reach up to feel the mild soreness in my arm I feel the emotion welling up. Of course, the volatile nature of things going on in the world has added to the stress.

For me, the new year really began on Saturday. Our infection numbers are going to get worse before they get better, but I'm cautiously optimistic that they WILL get better. For most of the pandemic I've been content not to be feeling depressed. Now I'm actually feeling some hope. Meanwhile, everyone please stay safe.

Old Mouseketeer

Apparently it's more important for a state prisoner to get the shot before me, because all I did was obey the law and pay my taxes for decades and decades. But a 30 year old scumbag in state prison is ranked higher than a law-abiding, tax-paying, lifelong good citizen. In Sacramento, this makes perfect sense.

Actually, in society and Public Health this does make perfect sense. It is a well-established principle that prisoners are entitled to healthcare--to deny it would amount to "cruel and unusual punishment", which is prohibited by the Constitution. The government has an obligation to provide reasonable care--not to do so in the case of COVID would amount to a death sentence for many. Moreover, prisons don't exist in a vacuum. While there is a degree of isolation, you still have people going in and out of the prison having contact with prisoners, regardless of distancing efforts. We already know that COVID has spread from prison to prison due to transfer of inmates. Vaccinating prisoners is simply not optional. You can argue about the precise point at which immunizing the prison population fits, but it needs to be fairly high up for the public good.

Old Mouseketeer

I suppose TP has to scratch for something to fuss about now that the fake drama over Newsom's dinner at French Laundry has blown over. Nonstop posts complaining about Sacramento and California's mishandling of the vaccination rollout yet not a single word about Trump and how the White House screwed the national immunization effort because it was occupied executing poor people, issuing pardons to the rich, coercing state election officials, pushing blatant lies to the GOP base that the November presidential election results were fraudulent, and attempting to overthrow a branch of the government. Who has time to deal with a pandemic with all that on their plate?

Golf. You left out playing golf. Lots and lots of golf.

TP2000

Disneyland Vaccine Supersite To Be Closed Tuesday Due To Strong Winds.

It's winter, and in OC that often means Santa Ana winds with gusts up to 40mph or higher. OC's only Vaccine Supersite will be closed on Tuesday due to forecasted gusty winds. Because... this vaccine distribution site was purposely built outdoors in a big parking lot, with lots of tents.

A high wind warning has prompted public health officials to close Orange County’s first mass vaccination site for Tuesday, Jan. 19.

“Those with appointments for Tuesday will be notified of their rescheduled appointment through Othena.com,” the county’s Health Care Agency tweeted.

The Disneyland Super POD (point-of-distribution), which began inoculating people 65 and older last Wednesday, is the first of five mass vaccination sites the county expects to open in coming weeks. Initially it was scheduling about 3,000 or so people a day.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Disneyland Vaccine Supersite To Be Closed Tuesday Due To Strong Winds.

It's winter, and in OC that often means Santa Ana winds with gusts up to 40mph or higher. OC's only Vaccine Supersite will be closed on Tuesday due to forecasted gusty winds. Because... this vaccine distribution site was purposely built outdoors in a big parking lot, with lots of tents.

A high wind warning has prompted public health officials to close Orange County’s first mass vaccination site for Tuesday, Jan. 19.

“Those with appointments for Tuesday will be notified of their rescheduled appointment through Othena.com,” the county’s Health Care Agency tweeted.

The Disneyland Super POD (point-of-distribution), which began inoculating people 65 and older last Wednesday, is the first of five mass vaccination sites the county expects to open in coming weeks. Initially it was scheduling about 3,000 or so people a day.
Should have done it at CVS

TP2000

That OC Register story finally nailed down what "thousands of vaccinations per day" means for Disneyland's Supersite.

It apparently means 3,000 per day at OC's only mass vaccine distribution site. 3,000 people per day in a county of 3.2 Million is not a lot. It would take 1,066 days, or about three years, to vaccinate all of Orange County if this Disneyland Supersite was the only location.

Apparently, later this winter there will be Supersite locations at the OC Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, and maybe at Knott's Berry Farm.

Which makes sense since California is listed at #46 in the New York Times rankings of all 50 states.

#2 West Virginia = 6.3% of Residents Vaccinated With First Shot, 65% of Doses Used
#5 Texas = 3.7% of Residents Vaccinated With First Shot, 55% of Doses Used
#26 Florida = 3.6% of Residents Vaccinated With First Shot, 41% of Doses Used
#46 California = 2.2% of Residents Vaccinated With First Shot, 30% of Doses Used

Last edited:

TP2000

Should have done it at CVS

According to a quick Google search, there are about 725 pharmacies in Orange County. If each OC pharmacy gave out 4 Covid shots per hour over a 12 hour day, that would be about 36,000 Covid shots given per day in pharmacies that are located hyper-locally in each neighborhood. With convenient parking directly in front of each pharmacy.

36,000 shots per day from OC's 725 pharmacies, versus 3,000 shots per day from OC's only Supersite in Anaheim.

Unless it's windy and 72 degrees that day as is Anaheim's forecast for Tuesday, then the Supersite is closed.

What happens this weekend when it's forecasted to be windy and 57 degrees and rainy? Do we put vaccination on hold again for another day or two, until the tents can be dried out?

This outdoor tent Supersite concept seems to have a few critical flaws, especially in winter.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

According to a quick Google search, there are about 725 pharmacies in Orange County. If each OC pharmacy gave out 4 Covid shots per hour over a 12 hour day, that would be about 36,000 Covid shots given per day in pharmacies that are located hyper-locally in each neighborhood. With convenient parking directly in front of each pharmacy.

36,000 shots per day from OC's 725 pharmacies, versus 3,000 shots per day from OC's only Supersite in Anaheim.

Unless it's windy and 72 degrees that day as is Anaheim's forecast for Tuesday, then the Supersite is closed.

What happens this weekend when it's forecasted to be windy and 57 degrees and rainy? Do we put vaccination on hold again for another day or two, until the tents can be dried out?

This outdoor tent Supersite concept seems to have a few flaws, especially in winter.
I love math and science!

lazyboy97o

This outdoor tent Supersite concept seems to have a few critical flaws, especially in winter.
How many pharmacies can actually handle the vaccine? How many doses go to waste with your scheme of four per hour?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Do you know how many doses are in a single vial of the vaccine? Do you know how long it can be out at room tempature before it can no longer be used? Do you know if your 4 per hour in a Pharmacy setting plan is even viable based on the storage requirements of these two available vaccines? Do you know that both vaccines once thawed can't be refrozen, and thus any unused doses are wasted?

OC Health Department made the decision on where they would be distributing the vaccine. So I expect they understand better than some poster on a Disney Fan Site how to distribute the vaccine efficiently based on the requirement for the specific vaccines.

You throw out some plan that you think is better without understanding ANYTHING regarding the actual requirements for the vaccines and the infrastructure it takes to distribute it. Just stop. I know we all want this done as quick as possible so life can get back to normal. Its just going to take some time. Be patient and this will all be over and we can go back to talking about things at DLR.

Stevek

I was a bit surprised they didn't put these sites in the parking structures...maybe not enough open air?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom