News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

lazyboy97o

Widespread vaccine administration only just started this week. This article I linked above was from January 13th, three days ago. My comprehension of the article seems solid. Texans are being directed to check with their local pharmacy to get a Covid shot. Texas is currently ranked #6 in the nation for vaccine distribution. Here's the headline and the intro sentence...

Hays County directs residents who qualify for COVID-19 vaccine to hubs, pharmacies​

HAYS COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) — The Hays County Local Health Department is directing Phase 1A and 1B residents searching for a COVID-19 vaccine to hubs outside of the county and other providers, like pharmacies.

Distribution has been occurring for weeks now. States doing well with distribution did not start in the past week.

The county announcement mentions private companies and specifically notes H-E-B as a company that received doses. What they don’t note is that they only received a few doses for Phase 1A and are completely out.

Michigan starts pharmacy administration of Covid shots on Monday morning. Meijer, the big local supermarket chain based out of Grand Rapids, is all excited to be part of the fun. Michigan is currently #18 in the nation, but is obviously trying to get higher than that. California is #49.

And you should sit down for this part.... the Meijer supermarket pharmacies are located indoors.

Monday is the future. As in something that has not yet happened. You keep tossing out different places and not one of them has utilized retail pharmacies as their primary point of distribution like you claim.

TP2000

Monday is the future. As in something that has not yet happened. You keep tossing out different places and not one of them has utilized retail pharmacies as their primary point of distribution like you claim.

I don't remember ever typing the word "primary" or any of its synonyms. The 50 states have offered a mish-mash of attempts and strategies, as local officials do what they feel works best for their local communities. That's the beauty of de-centralized government; when it works well for its citizens because it understands them, that type of government is efficient and effective.

West Virginia was the one who leaned the most on local pharmacies, and it seems to have worked beautifully for them in that rural and poor state. Texas is a hybrid of indoor "hubs" and pharmacies, etc., etc.

Clearly, whatever the system is that California has been doing is not working. California's system appears to rely heavily on building and operating these massive supersites in stadium parking lots, amusement park parking lots, etc. We are the richest and most sophisticated and tech-savvy (allegedly) state in the union, and we've failed thus far. We are #49, barely above Alabama. Far behind Texas, which stings the most. :(

lazyboy97o

But you can't say his math and numbers are wrong.
Nobody has ever claimed that retail pharmacies are an inappropriate venue for distribution. They will be key to wide scale distribution which is exactly why CVS and Walgreens were so directly involved in planning at various levels. Even these major retailers with thousands of stores have publicly discussed setting up clinics to supplement their thousands of retail locations.

lazyboy97o

I don't remember ever typing the word "primary" or any of its synonyms. The 50 states have offered a mish-mash of attempts and strategies, as local officials do what they feel works best for their local communities. That's the beauty of de-centralized government; when it works well for its citizens because it understands them, that type of government is efficient and effective.

West Virginia was the one who leaned the most on local pharmacies, and it seems to have worked beautifully for them in that rural and poor state. Texas is a hybrid of indoor "hubs" and pharmacies, etc., etc.

Clearly, whatever the system is that California has been doing is not working. California's system appears to rely heavily on building and operating these massive supersites in stadium parking lots, amusement park parking lots, etc. We are the richest and most sophisticated and tech-savvy (allegedly) state in the union, and we've failed thus far. We are #49, barely above Alabama. Far behind Texas, which stings the most. :(
You went from starting today claiming places ”gave all of their doses to local pharmacies and doctor’s offices” to now claiming this is just part of the plan. You also keep throwing out different states hoping one might be true. Even in West Virginia, pharmacies were utilized to distribute in long term care facilities, not in their stores as you describe.

West Virginia, and many of the states in the Top 10 for vaccine administration, gave all their doses to local pharmacies and doctor's offices because they knew those small facilities were known and trusted by local communities, and easy to get to and maneuver through for elderly patients who need the vaccine the most. It was also the cheapest and most efficient way for the state government to do it.

George Lucas on a Bench

TP, don't forget that in disaster states like New York, the elderly, who are the main people at risk of dying from the Coronavirus, have to somehow navigate confusing internet websites just to register to get the vaccine. Have you ever tried to teach the elderly how to use technology? They still don't understand why there's a separate clicker for the cable. What are they thinking?

BrianLo

New Zealand has a very low infection rate thank goodness, but they achieved that by completely cutting themselves off from the rest of the world. Air New Zealand no longer flies to foreign countries, no foreign carriers are allowed to fly in. All New Zealand citizens have been confined to that island for months, and it's nearly impossible for a foreigner to get in. They are an island, literally and figuratively. While it's not quite as sinister as East Berlin circa 1980, the effect is much the same. They're stuck there, and their economy is cratering because of it.

I fact checked this. New Zealand economy actually grew year over year by the end of 2020 by 0.4%. They are out of a recession.

We've seen pretty consistently that the countries that took the Pandemic most seriously are economically performing the best. It's become a bit of a myth propagated by American Media that the best thing for the economy is letting the Pandemic rip. Consumer demand responds in kind if people suddenly don't feel it is safe.

As far as being stuck in New Zealand for 18-24 months... personally I can think of many worse things. But I suppose that's a matter of opinion.

Parteecia

Once more, some SoCal counties are using pharmacies.
Screenshot_20210116-222440_Chrome.jpg

Stevek

You make your friendly neighborhood CVS sound like the streets of Calcutta.

So all Covid vaccination must take place outdoors? Even in New York, where it's currently 35 degrees? Or Minneapolis where it's 15 degrees? It's not safe to get vaccinated in a CVS?
I'd be happy to walk into a CVS tomorrow and get the vaccine.

TP2000

You went from starting today claiming places ”gave all of their doses to local pharmacies and doctor’s offices” to now claiming this is just part of the plan. You also keep throwing out different states hoping one might be true. Even in West Virginia, pharmacies were utilized to distribute in long term care facilities, not in their stores as you describe.

Pharmacies are a key part here. You get California's 8,000 pharmacies to deliver 4 Covid shots per hour to their community, and you just created a system equal to 33 Dodger Stadium Supersites. Thirty three Dodger Stadiums!

It is clear that California's rollout and initial first weeks of Covid vaccination has been a failure.

The richest and most populous state in the nation is ranked #49 on vaccine administration. California is dragging down the entire USA statistics on this, even though the USA is already outperforming almost all other western nations.

Needles in arms. Old people first. Even if people need to go indoors to get a shot. This is not rocket science.

Last edited:

TP2000

Not only the media. It started with The White House.

Hans, I just thought of you when I was chuckling about getting a vaccination indoors. I thought "Where are the supersites in the Bay Area? It's chilly up there this time of year!"

And so I found this. It appears there are no supersites yet open to the general public in the Bay Area? Uh... why not? According to this press report from last Wednesday, local Bay Area counties were still "vying" or "looking into" proposed supersite locations. Because they haven't known since July that millions of doses were on their way this winter???

From the linked news report from San Francisco's KRON TV.
  • San Mateo County opened drive-thru mass COVID-19 vaccination clinics at the Event Center this week for eligible health care workers.
  • Alameda County is set to vote this Friday whether or not to establish a mass vaccination site at the RingCentral Coliseum.
  • Santa Clara County is vying to make Levi’s Stadium a mass vaccination site, which the 49ers have already offered as an option. Avaya Stadium is also an option being looked into.
That same news article says that there are only four Supersites currently operating in California; Disneyland, PetCo Park in San Diego, Dodger Stadium, and the CalExpo fairgrounds in Sacramento. But the Sacramento site is "vaccinating frontline workers only at this time". Target Optical twentysomethings to the front of the line, please!

I guess I had no idea that there were only four Supersites operating in the entire state of 40 Million people. And none at all in the Bay Area yet. Disneyland appears to have been the first Supersite to open last week! o_O

D

Deleted member 107043

I guess I had no idea that there were only four Supersites operating in the entire state of 40 Million people. And none at all in the Bay Area yet.

I assume they are starting where the need is most urgent. 😉

SF Mayor London Breed only announced the city's vaccination strategy last week. BTW it was 71 degrees here today.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hans, I just thought of you when I was chuckling about getting a vaccination indoors. I thought "Where are the supersites in the Bay Area? It's chilly up there this time of year!"

And so I found this. It appears there are no supersites yet open to the general public in the Bay Area? Uh... why not? According to this press report from last Wednesday, local Bay Area counties were still "vying" or "looking into" proposed supersite locations. Because they haven't known since July that millions of doses were on their way this winter???

From the linked news report from San Francisco's KRON TV.
  • San Mateo County opened drive-thru mass COVID-19 vaccination clinics at the Event Center this week for eligible health care workers.
  • Alameda County is set to vote this Friday whether or not to establish a mass vaccination site at the RingCentral Coliseum.
  • Santa Clara County is vying to make Levi’s Stadium a mass vaccination site, which the 49ers have already offered as an option. Avaya Stadium is also an option being looked into.
That same news article says that there are only four Supersites currently operating in California; Disneyland, PetCo Park in San Diego, Dodger Stadium, and the CalExpo fairgrounds in Sacramento. But the Sacramento site is "vaccinating frontline workers only at this time". Target Optical twentysomethings to the front of the line, please!

I guess I had no idea that there were only four Supersites operating in the entire state of 40 Million people. And none at all in the Bay Area yet. Disneyland appears to have been the first Supersite to open last week! o_O

In case you've missed it, each county has been the one who have determined vaccine sites, not Sacramento. The Bay Area has primarily been focused on front line workers and long term health facilities (BTW using CVS and Walgreens to vaccinate those long term health facilities as is the rest of the state). The Bay Area also hasn't been hit that hard compared to other parts of the state. Remember that prior to the holiday season the Bay Area was primarily in the Orange tier, with San Francisco being in the Yellow tier. Because the Bay Area has had better compliance during the whole pandemic.

Also as Hans already pointed out, while it being a bit tongue-in-cheek comment, the reason SoCal has their "super sites" up and running already is because SoCal has been the hardest hit. LA County is about to hit 1 Million positive cases. Think about that, that is 10% of the population of the county positive with COVID. The other SoCal counties put together has just over 900k which is also a lot, but LA County has the most by far in the entire state. So in a state that has 2.9M cases, almost 2M of those are in SoCal. Go SoCAL! That is the reason why the "super sites" are up and running primarily only in SoCal right now.

The plan has always been to use the pharmacy system long term (meaning 3 months from now) for the Phase 2 general public. But the short term is to use the "super sites" to try and get as many people of the 1a and 1b groups vaccinated as quick as possible in SoCal. We'll see if they incorporate 1c into the "super sites" as well and keep them going for Phase 2. And remember that everything is still dependent on supply and infrastructure right now. Easier to control the supply and infrastructure at a "super site", especially in the initial roll-out.

TP2000

I assume they are starting where the need is most urgent. 😉

SF Mayor London Breed only announced the city's vaccination strategy last week. BTW it was 71 degrees here today.

Oh, posh. I can beat that. It was 87 here in Villa Park today. I barbecued a big bone-in ribeye out on the patio tonight, and dined under the stars. But the forecast is for 58 and rain six days from now.

Mayor Breed announced the city's vaccination strategy last week? After Disneyland's Supersite had already begun making people walk a half mile across surface parking lots to get a shot? That seems... a bit late to the party.

No wonder California is #49 on the list of states. Major big city mayor's are only announcing their cities vaccination strategies the week after vaccinations actually began? Is there no sense of urgency there? Mayor Breed doesn't think elderly San Franciscans are not dying in Nursing Homes daily?

TP2000

The plan has always been to use the pharmacy system long term (meaning 3 months from now) for the Phase 2 general public. But the short term is to use the "super sites" to try and get as many people of the 1a and 1b groups vaccinated as quick as possible in SoCal.

Which seem almost exactly opposite of all the states in the Top 10. West Virginia, a very poor and rural state if there ever was one, leaned heavily on local pharmacies to get shots into arms of the elderly first. Texas used a hybrid of vaccine "hubs" that were shockingly indoors but also used local pharmacies to get shots into arms of the elderly. Michigan begins using pharmacies about 12 hours from now, hundreds and hundreds of pharmacies (also indoors!) across the Wolverine State just on Monday alone.

Meanwhile, California has four (4) Supersites operating, with some Bay Area counties considering maybe opening some Supersites in a few weeks in unused stadium parking lots, while California rests at #49 and is just above last place Alabama.

Because, you know, we have the biggest state budget in the union and the biggest population of all 50 states.

We're sittin' fine at 49! California! 🥳

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Which seem almost exactly opposite of all the states in the Top 10. West Virginia, a very poor and rural state if there ever was one, leaned heavily on local pharmacies to get shots into arms of the elderly first. Texas used a hybrid of vaccine "hubs" that were shockingly indoors but also used local pharmacies to get shots into arms of the elderly. Michigan begins using pharmacies about 12 hours from now, hundreds and hundreds of pharmacies (also indoors!) across the Wolverine State just on Monday alone.

Meanwhile, California has four (4) Supersites operating, with some Bay Area counties considering maybe opening some Supersites in a few weeks in unused stadium parking lots, while California rests at #49 and is just above last place Alabama.

Because, you know, we have the biggest state budget in the union and the biggest population of all 50 states.

We're sittin' fine at 49! California! 🥳
You keep using that ranking but I don't know if you really understand it. And also its outdated, California is now 44 on that list (even your Becker list has the state at 46 even though that too is outdated). That ranking that you keep touting is based on how many shots have been administered versus the supply the state has. California kept a supply in reserve (based on CDC guidelines) in order to get the 1st recipients of the shot their second dose. That has all changed as of this past week, that supply will now be used (again based on CDC guidelines). So you are going to see California skyrocket on that list.

Also if you just look at the amount of doses administered overall California is #1, we have administered more doses than any other state at 1.303M, over 25k more than Texas at 1.276M. So California is doing a lot better than you keep trying to portray. Sure its been slow initially, and its not what I would have done, but there were reasons why things were done the way they were. Now things are starting to get rolling and you're going to see California do a lot better in that ranking that you keep quoting.

Also let me just say, its easy to point to WV and claim they did it better when that state has only administered 153K doses. I believe California did that in the first few days. So your claims that WV and some of the smaller states are doing better is misinformed at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom