News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

TP2000

This headline about West Virginia made me laugh. Imagine that, not following the mandates from some distant bureaucrat led to a superior system that is getting it done faster and cheaper.

West Viriginia Leads Nation In Giving COVID-19 Vaccine.
Experts said a major reason is the state's decision not to follow the federal government's guidance for vaccine distribution.

Bravo to the scrappy, hard working folks of the Mountaineer State! I had distant family in Wheeling, West Virginia, and visited a few times many years ago. It's beautiful country, but a very poor and humble area. It's absolutely fascinating that this little under-privileged state has shot to the top just by letting common sense prevail. They are not the type of people to brag or bluster by any means, but I hope they are darn proud of themselves!

I also hope it's not too late for other states to learn this lesson, and recalibrate their failing vaccine distribution plans accordingly.

lazyboy97o

I use CVS as the example of a pharmacy. There are 8,000 pharmacies in the state of California. Only 1,100 of them are CVS. Many of them are small, privately owned businesses, right out of a Normal Rockwell painting. 8,000 locations distributed widely across the state serving local populations is a mighty force to be able to harness. It's a shame Sacramento didn't tap into that for the first phase of rollout.

You'd obviously use a reservation system and 2020's tech to manage this process, just like pharmacies have you make an appointment for a Flu shot. But if California's 8,000 pharmacies had been giving out one Covid shot every 15 minutes over a 12 hour operating day, that's 400,000 Covid shots given out every day in California. Right at your friendly, local pharmacy you have been familiar with for years. With convenient parking steps from the door.

You think the Supersite system is better than that? Dodger Stadium is the largest of them all, and at its peak will give out 12,000 doses per day. Dodger Stadium Supersite's daily capacity is the equivalent of 240 pharmacies giving out 50 shots per day, among California's 8,000 pharmacies.

Yes, and also using local pharmacies and doctor's offices. West Virginia has no city bigger than 50,000 people, with many small towns in remote mountain locations, so they knew they had to get the local pharmacies involved.

"West Virginia chose to mobilize independent and chain pharmacies alike, rather than relying just on CVS and Walgreens. Over 250 pharmacies offered to help in vaccinating people at 214 nursing homes."

Texas has 'Vaccination Hubs", and has also distributed vaccines to pharmacies and doctor's offices. It's obviously working very well for Texas, because they are ranked #6 in the nation and as a huge state with 30 Million people, is the nearest analogy to California with 40 Million people. California is currently #49.

Now, don't get too upset, but Texas has their Vaccination Hubs indoors! o_O

OOAJK3DF4ZHKXC5BODKO4ZT6KQ.jpg

Both the Dakotas used this approach, tasking local private hospital systems. The pharmacists are trained to give the shots.
You should work on reading more closely. Retail pharmacies are not distributing the vaccine at their stores like a flu shot. Pharmacies are being used to distribute at specific sites like long term care facilities. What you want, what you falsely claimed was happening, is only just starting and not where you claimed it is happening.

A large wide open facility is not the same as a small retail pharmacy.

TP2000

You should work on reading more closely. Retail pharmacies are not distributing the vaccine at their stores like a flu shot. Pharmacies are being used to distribute at specific sites like long term care facilities. What you want, what you falsely claimed was happening, is only just starting and not where you claimed it is happening.

A large wide open facility is not the same as a small retail pharmacy.

I've done quite a bit of reading on this, just casually of course so I can't always guarantee that it's 100% accurate. But on this I know it's accurate.

There are several states, like Texas, Michigan, etc. that are right now using local pharmacies to give out Covid shots. Currently those pharmacies are only giving the shots to Phase 1A and 1B, which is the right way to do it. But people this weekend in many states are walking into their local pharmacy and getting a Covid shot there, just like they would get a flu shot. Right next to that Dr. Scholl's machine that measures your feet for insoles.

This article is about the states using supermarket pharmacies to administer Covid shots inside the supermarket this weekend, but you get the idea.

lazyboy97o

I've done quite a bit of reading on this, just casually of course so I can't always guarantee that it's 100% accurate. But on this I know it's accurate.

There are several states, like Texas, Michigan, etc. that are right now using local pharmacies to give out Covid shots. Currently those pharmacies are only giving the shots to Phase 1A and 1B, which is the right way to do it. But people this weekend in many states are walking into their local pharmacy and getting a Covid shot there, just like they would get a flu shot. Right next to that Dr. Scholl's machine that measures your feet for insoles.

This article is about the states using supermarket pharmacies to administer Covid shots inside the supermarket this weekend, but you get the idea.

Again, read more carefully. Your article, just like the one I already posted, is about a process that is just starting or about to start.

California is using healthcare providers and pharmacies.
Kaiser Permanente is distributing vaccines and right there they mention CVS and Walgreens distributing vaccines as they are elsewhere.

Parteecia

You live in the wrong county.

Practical Pig

@TP2000, I agree that it's time to get the vaccines into the hands of the large pharmacies that have the storage requirements. Decentralizing and multiplying vaccine options certainly will speed up the process, which we all want of course. But perhaps it should be focused on the facilities that have easy-access traffic infrastructures and sufficient parking lot space to erect open-sided canopied inoculation sites with dedicated adjacent parking. Your four jabs per hour could probably be accelerated while still remaining outdoors.

A small queue of additional reserved parking could hold the several cars waiting for their reserved slot at a time. Where colder climes require, outdoor propane radiant heaters could be effective to comfort the elderly/more cold sensitive among us.

I think this could be an effective system, particularly suited to more rural areas like Humboldt where I live, where "Supersite" options are few, and certainly in the urban areas with so much traffic infrastructure dedicated to get the most people possible as easily as possible to and from the strip malls.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

@TP2000, I agree that it's time to get the vaccines into the hands of the large pharmacies that have the storage requirements. Decentralizing and multiplying vaccine options certainly will speed up the process, which we all want of course. But perhaps it should be focused on the facilities that have easy-access traffic infrastructures and sufficient parking lot space to erect open-sided canopied inoculation sites with dedicated adjacent parking. Your four jabs per hour could probably be accelerated while still remaining outdoors.

A small queue of additional reserved parking could hold the several cars waiting for their reserved slot at a time. Where colder climes require, outdoor propane radiant heaters could be effective to comfort the elderly/more cold sensitive among us.

I think this could be an effective system, particularly suited to more rural areas like Humboldt where I live where "Supersite" options are few, and certainly in the urban areas with so much traffic infrastructure dedicated to get the most people possible as easily as possible to and from the strip malls.
The only problem you might have is that there is typically and inverse relationship between density and parking. Places that are going to serve more people will have less available space both indoors and outdoors.

I’m also not advocating against using retail locations. Just calling out the lie that states doing well with distribution are not using centralized sites and are using retail pharmacies. If anything, there seems to be more centralized organization in places doing well versus California pushing distribution more onto the counties.

Practical Pig

The only problem you might have is that there is typically and inverse relationship between density and parking. Places that are going to serve more people will have less available space both indoors and outdoors.

I’m also not advocating against using retail locations. Just calling out the lie that states doing well with distribution are not using centralized sites and are using retail pharmacies. If anything, there seems to be more centralized organization in places doing well versus California pushing distribution more onto the counties.

I get and appreciate those points. Maybe that's why I think it's particularly suited to more rural locations like Humboldt. Our least bottle-necked infrastructure flow takes us to shopping centers and away to someplace elsewhere. And locally, I've never seen a chain pharmacy's parking lot more that half full. (Well, one actually, but they get overflow from the health food store next door. This is Humboldt, after all.)

TP2000

I think this could be an effective system, particularly suited to more rural areas like Humboldt where I live, where "Supersite" options are few, and certainly in the urban areas with so much traffic infrastructure dedicated to get the most people possible as easily as possible to and from the strip malls.

I only used the 4 jabs per hour as a lowball figure. I'm sure my local CVS does quite a bit more per hour than that during Flu Shot season; they have two little vaccine cubicles where there's a steady stream of folks getting a shot every 5 minutes.

But even with 4 jabs per hour as an average for California's 8,000 pharmacies, that gets you 400,000 vaccine doses administered daily all across the state. And as you say, a place like Humboldt has no Supersite, but it certainly has lots of pharmacies. Downtown Eureka (population 26,000) has 15 pharmacies on Google Maps. That's 750 shots per day given out where none are being given.

Every town in California with at least one stoplight has at least one pharmacy. To not use them for Phase 1A and 1B seems like a glaring oversight. And again, I know plenty of old people, and the logistics of maneuvering through these huge Supersites are daunting for the elderly.

But then, it also explains why states that did choose to tap into the private sector and use their local pharmacies, like West Virginia #1 and Texas #6 and Michigan #18, are doing much better than California #49.

TP2000

I get and appreciate those points. Maybe that's why I think it's particularly suited to more rural locations like Humboldt. Our least bottle-necked infrastructure flow takes us to shopping centers and away to someplace elsewhere. And locally, I've never seen a chain pharmacy's parking lot more that half full. (Well, one actually, but they get overflow from the health food store next door. This is Humboldt, after all.)

I live in north central OC. There is a CVS near me, right next door to a very popular Trader Joe's. Their parking lot gets busiest on Sunday afternoons, but even then you are talking about a 40 yard walk from the edges of the small parking lot instead of a 10 yard walk. On most days and afternoons, and especially mornings when seniors get out the most, the lot is barely 25% full.

And this is on a busy thoroughfare attached to a mid-sized shopping center in the middle of 3.2 Million citizens of Orange County. CVS seems like the perfect place for Covid shots, just like it's the perfect place for Flu shots and Measles shots.

lazyboy97o

I only used the 4 jabs per hour as a lowball figure. I'm sure my local CVS does quite a bit more per hour than that during Flu Shot season; they have two little vaccine cubicles where there's a steady stream of folks getting a shot every 5 minutes.

But even with 4 jabs per hour as an average for California's 8,000 pharmacies, that gets you 400,000 vaccine doses administered daily all across the state. And as you say, a place like Humboldt has no Supersite, but it certainly has lots of pharmacies. Downtown Eureka (population 26,000) has 15 pharmacies on Google Maps. That's 750 shots per day given out where none are being given.

Every town in California with at least one stoplight has at least one pharmacy. To not use them for Phase 1A and 1B seems like a huge oversight. And again, I know plenty of old people, and the logistics of maneuvering through these huge Supersites are daunting for the elderly.

But then, it also explains why states that did choose to tap into the private sector and use their local pharmacies, like West Virginia #1 and Texas #6 and Michigan #18, are doing much better than California #49.
Once again, you clearly don’t understand how pharmacies were being utilized.

TP2000

Once again, you clearly don’t understand how pharmacies were being utilized.

Once again, it appears you don't understand that in many states that's exactly how pharmacies are being utilized. Chain pharmacies in cities, supermarket pharmacies in the suburbs, mom n' pop pharmacies in hick towns. Michigan, Texas, etc. You make an appointment, you walk inside to the pharmacy, you get a Covid shot. Next to the Dr. Scholl's insole machine.

lazyboy97o

Once again, it appears you don't understand that in many states that's exactly how pharmacies are being utilized. Chain pharmacies in cities, supermarket pharmacies in the suburbs, mom n' pop pharmacies in hick towns. Michigan, Texas, etc. You make an appointment, you walk inside to the pharmacy, you get a Covid shot. Next to the Dr. Scholl's insole machine.

Work on your reading comprehension. Retail pharmacy distribution has only just started.

And since you decide to try tossing in another state, Michigan is also distributing through counties and doesn’t direct people to go to a local pharmacy.

Last edited:

TP2000

Work on your reading comprehension.

Widespread vaccine administration only just started this week. This article I linked above was from January 13th, three days ago. My comprehension of the article seems solid. Texans are being directed to check with their local pharmacy to get a Covid shot. Texas is currently ranked #6 in the nation for vaccine distribution. Here's the headline and the intro sentence...

Hays County directs residents who qualify for COVID-19 vaccine to hubs, pharmacies​

HAYS COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) — The Hays County Local Health Department is directing Phase 1A and 1B residents searching for a COVID-19 vaccine to hubs outside of the county and other providers, like pharmacies.

TP2000

Work on your reading comprehension. Retail pharmacy distribution has only just started.

And since you decide to try tossing in another state, Michigan is also distributing through counties and doesn’t direct people to go to a local pharmacy.

Michigan starts pharmacy administration of Covid shots on Monday morning. Meijer, the big local supermarket chain based out of Grand Rapids, is all excited to be part of the fun. Michigan is currently #18 in the nation, but is obviously trying to get higher than that. California is #49.

And you should sit down for this part.... the Meijer supermarket pharmacies are located indoors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom