News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

Darkbeer1

If they charge people to be on Main Street then what is that? A theme park? Knott's seems to be getting around it, by charging for the tasting event, but honestly, if Disneyland tries to open in a similar fashion, it will get them (and probably Knott's too) both shut down. It's not worth the risk.

No, Knott's has worked with the State to keep it under "Outdoor Dining".

Not allowed Entertainment, and worked with the state to determine "Atmosphere", which is allowable.

If Disneyland follows the Knott's guidelines, which the state has signed off on, then there is no risk of being shut down.

ThreadMaster5

First we don't know what Disneyland would do if they were to open Main St just as a shopping and dining event. So you can't say they are charging for everything when nothing has even happened yet.

Second Knott's events are similar to Food and Wine at DCA, so they aren't "giving you something". You are buying access to the event which includes access to Knott's as well as the shopping areas. The 5 tastings are part of the price you pay.

Lastly the Knott's example was to show that Disney's peers are finding ways to make money by reopening certain areas. The point is Disney can and should do the same thing, and would be more successful than Knott's.
Doubtful

ThreadMaster5

No, Knott's has worked with the State to keep it under "Outdoor Dining".

Not allowed Entertainment, and worked with the state to determine "Atmosphere", which is allowable.

If Disneyland follows the Knott's guidelines, which the state has signed off on, then there is no risk of being shut down.
I feel pretty confident if they wanted to do this they would have by now, or at the very least we would have heard about it happening in the near future by now

Supreme Leader

I feel pretty confident if they wanted to do this they would have by now, or at the very least we would have heard about it happening in the near future by now
You're probably right, but if the State won't let theme parks open for the remainder of the year I can see them following in Knott's footsteps and opening Main Street and maybe even BVS for the Holiday season. I don't know, just a thought.

LukaLand

I live near Seattle and can fly down roundtrip cheap. I'm an essential worker (grocery) that has continued to travel during Covid (San Diego, Las Vegas, and Arizona twice since March). If DL opened up Main Street, I would fly down for a day. Happily. Just saying Disney...

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes

Thoughts?

Stevek

Thoughts?
Anything is possible but just doesn't seem doable at this point. Feels like we have a long way to go in the state to get to the point of reopening.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Anything is possible but just doesn't seem doable at this point. Feels like we have a long way to go in the state to get to the point of reopening.

I agree. I am just surprised because CMs themselves are under lock and key with what they say. September 16 seems interesting to say the least, because it’s a random Wednesday. They did cancel hotel reservations through Sept 16, which is also unusual because usually they cancel every week through the Sunday. Like the previous batch of cancellations was through Sept 6. Who knows! Maybe it is a tentative date if they continue on this trend?

Last edited:

Figments Friend

In the Parks
Yes

Thoughts?

If this were to happen, they currently have four weeks to get ready to re-open.

It was said earlier in this thread or elsewhere here that Disneyland would need two weeks minimum to prepare for reopening, but obviously more time would be better.
So if they really pushed for it, they could make it happen.

I will be watching this from afar with interest....as airfares are still really rosey right now for me.
:)

-

el_super

I’m still telling you, setup an outdoor pop up restaurant for evenings in select areas of the park, people would pay mad bucks to get that sort of unique Disneyland experience.

The only thing it will do is solicit angry posts from AP holders who would have to pay upwards of $50 bucks just to stand on Main Street and buy a pretzel.

Thoughts?

Most likely just the current placeholder date and an attempt to discourage cancellations. We still have no firm date on when indoor dining can reopen and we can make up some of the progress we had to pull back on. Assuming indoor dining reopens, it will still be two to three weeks before a decision can be made on progressing through further stages of reopening (as the numbers have to be monitored). Just like their original reopening date, I wouldn't put much stock in anything coming from Disney that doesn't also have the governor's backing.

Disney Analyst

The only thing it will do is solicit angry posts from AP holders who would have to pay upwards of $50 bucks just to stand on Main Street and buy a pretzel.

Most likely just the current placeholder date and an attempt to discourage cancellations. We still have no firm date on when indoor dining can reopen and we can make up some of the progress we had to pull back on. Assuming indoor dining reopens, it will still be two to three weeks before a decision can be made on progressing through further stages of reopening (as the numbers have to be monitored). Just like their original reopening date, I wouldn't put much stock in anything coming from Disney that doesn't also have the governor's backing.

I mean, i'm literally talking more dining experience. Set up tables along the ROA, add fun lighting/theming, do a 5 course preset menu, $70-120 a head depending on menu choice. Two-seatings.

Have the rafts float around with a band on them, etc. You could create different areas to host these pop-ups. I guarantee people would jump at the chance. Disney should hire me to create their COVID event ideas.

Last edited:

el_super

I mean, i'm literally talking more dining experience. Set up tables along the ROA, add fun lighting/theming, do a 5 course preset menu, $70-120 a head depending on menu choice. Two-seatings.

Have the rafts float around with a band on them, etc. You could create different areas to host these pop-ups. I guarantee people would jump at the chance. Disney should hire me to create their COVID event ideas.

That isn't totally a bad idea. I think the biggest questions would be how to make it profitable (especially if you're making this a park wide affair, and you have to staff multiple lands and areas) and how do you get the unions to sign off on whatever change of work location/work description needs to happen to allow people to work outdoors.

I can see why something like this would work for Knott's, but wouldn't work in Disney's favor with their high overhead and standards. We're getting a bit of a glimpse of this in Florida where the parks are open, restaurants are allowed to operate, and the parks are still struggling to attract people. I think the bigger problems for Disney are related to the overhead and the general cost of doing business at any scale. They've gotten seriously better at it (Disneyland After Dark) but are still having problems.

And we shouldn't underestimate the value of being in the park. Like I said before, it might not make sense to basically give it away, when you are going to want to drum up business when the parks finally are able to open.

Disney Analyst

That isn't totally a bad idea. I think the biggest questions would be how to make it profitable (especially if you're making this a park wide affair, and you have to staff multiple lands and areas) and how do you get the unions to sign off on whatever change of work location/work description needs to happen to allow people to work outdoors.

I can see why something like this would work for Knott's, but wouldn't work in Disney's favor with their high overhead and standards. We're getting a bit of a glimpse of this in Florida where the parks are open, restaurants are allowed to operate, and the parks are still struggling to attract people. I think the bigger problems for Disney are related to the overhead and the general cost of doing business at any scale. They've gotten seriously better at it (Disneyland After Dark) but are still having problems.

And we shouldn't underestimate the value of being in the park. Like I said before, it might not make sense to basically give it away, when you are going to want to drum up business when the parks finally are able to open.

I would start small. Offer the ROA Dining Experience for a weekend or two, see how sales go. Then you could try a different pop up (Dine throughout NOS, Dine in front of the Castle, Dine in Galaxy's Edge) etc. If successful they could try running multiple at same time. This is obviously assuming the park remains closed for some time still.

I'd assume if they treat it how restaurants with outdoor seating presently run (unsure what's happening in California, I'm in BC), they could be fine.

truecoat

Fixed it for you.

mickEblu

Thoughts?

I like it. I like the randomness of the date and the fact that a CM actually said a date. Of course they could just be a clueless CM or maybe they just leaked a weak rumor. Either way, I like it and hoping it’s true.

Tamandua

I agree. I am just surprised because CMs themselves are under lock and key with what they say. September 16 seems interesting to say the least, because it’s a random Wednesday. They did cancel hotel reservations through Sept 16, which is also unusual because usually they cancel every week through the Sunday. Like the previous batch of cancellations was through Sept 6. Who knows! Maybe it is a tentative date if they continue on this trend?

Taste of Knotts is scheduled to run through September 13th. Maybe they've been given a whisper date by the government of mid September to reopen.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Taste of Knotts is scheduled to run through September 13th. Maybe they've been given a whisper date by the government of mid September to reopen.

So, San Diego County got off the watch list today, and Sea World San Diego still has hours starting on the 28th of August. I’m sure there have been some behind the scenes discussions. I wouldn’t be surprised if we heard something soon. I can FEEL it 😂

TP2000

As I mentioned yesterday (or was it the day before?), Orange County is well below four of the five thresholds the state set forth for getting off the county watch list, and its been that way for several weeks now. And the local media is now recognizing that...

"Orange County remains on the watch list, but there are positive signs that local rates of new cases and what percentage of the tests taken are positive – two measures that have kept Orange County above state limits – are trending toward meeting public health goals.

Trends of case rates, testing positivity and other data points monitored daily by state and county health officials indicate neighboring San Diego County could be taken off the watch list as early as Tuesday, Aug. 18, Gov. Gavin Newsom said during a press conference Monday, Aug. 17."

As of today, the five metrics that the state is tracking for each county look like this for OC. Great news!

Testing Positivity Must Not Be Above 8% - Current OC rate 6.2%
Hospitalization 3-Day Average Usage Must Not Increase By Over 10% - OC rate has declined by 4.8%
ICU Beds Available Must Not Go Below 20% - Current OC ICU Beds Available 31%

Ventilators Available Must Not Go Below 25% - Current OC Ventilators Available 56%
Case Rate Per 100,000 Must Be Below 25 - Current OC Case Rate Per 100,000 is 106

It's that last one, Case Rate Per 100,000, where OC is still above state thresholds. There's about 6,000 to 7,000 Covid tests being performed and logged into the system in OC ever day right now. There are just over 1 Million Covid tests being performed daily in the United States now. It would seem that OC would be off the list within a few weeks, if current trends continue.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
As I mentioned yesterday (or was it the day before?), Orange County is well below four of the five thresholds the state set forth for getting off the county watch list, and its been that way for several weeks now. And the local media is now recognizing that...

"Orange County remains on the watch list, but there are positive signs that local rates of new cases and what percentage of the tests taken are positive – two measures that have kept Orange County above state limits – are trending toward meeting public health goals.

Trends of case rates, testing positivity and other data points monitored daily by state and county health officials indicate neighboring San Diego County could be taken off the watch list as early as Tuesday, Aug. 18, Gov. Gavin Newsom said during a press conference Monday, Aug. 17."

As of today, the five metrics that the state is tracking for each county look like this for OC. Great news!

Testing Positivity Must Not Be Above 8% - Current OC rate 6.2%
Hospitalization 3-Day Average Usage Must Not Increase By Over 10% - OC rate has declined by 4.8%
ICU Beds Available Must Not Go Below 20% - Current OC ICU Beds Available 31%

Ventilators Available Must Not Go Below 25% - Current OC Ventilators Available 56%
Case Rate Per 100,000 Must Be Below 25 - Current OC Case Rate Per 100,000 is 106

It's that last one, Case Rate Per 100,000, where OC is still above state thresholds. There's about 6,000 to 7,000 Covid tests being performed and logged into the system in OC ever day right now. There are just over 1 Million Covid tests being performed daily in the United States now. It would seem that OC would be off the list within a few weeks, if current trends continue.

I thought cases just need to be below 100 per 100,000? So long as positivity rate is below 8, which we are... I think? And according to this chart we are at 109 per 100,000, which is great news!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom