Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

lazyboy97o

That the whole point? Sure, ok.
Yes, go through and read the original posts. Reusing an existing an attraction is about doing something fast and cheap while money gets shoveled elsewhere.

For the 10th time, this is rumored to be a part of a larger Marvel themed expansion at DCA.
A future expansion which increases capacity through one roller coaster.

mickEblu

I'll admit this isn't my favorite idea either, but it seems a bit overkill to act as though, it's impossible to re-theme it to GOTG and come out with a quality attraction on the other end. I'm not very creative or an Imagineer, but I expect there could be some really, really good ideas put into place to make it really amazing.

Raven summed it up pretty well above. I ll just add that yes I do think the odds of the imagineers creating a better ride than TOT are slim when considering this is still a drop ride (nothing to do with GOTG other than some lame backstory they would put together) and that they have to work around the existing infrastructure.

But this isn't even my main concern. My main issue is that one of my favorite rides would be gone all in the name of Greed and synergy. Not because the ride isn't extremely popular. Not because its theme doesn't work extremely well in its respective land. Just so some exec can puff his chest saying he got Marvel in the parks faster and cheaper. And yes if you know anything about how Disney works these days you should know that a timeline of one year means it will be done on the cheap. But u don't even have to know that. All you should need to hear is a haunted hotel being rethemed to GOTG and that should tell you everything you need to know.

I get that Disney is a business. I may even be willing to give them a pass if I thought this dumb re skin would actually generate more money long term but I don't. I think this is a really shortsighted move and the buzz would die down rather quickly. This whole thing just screams temporary overlay and not this crazy permanent idea.

D

Deleted member 107043

Reusing an existing an attraction is about doing something fast and cheap while money gets shoveled elsewhere.

If the summation of the effort is to be fast and cheap then why do anything at all, especially if it's meant to be a permanent change.

The more we discuss this whole GoTG/ToT business the more my BS meter pings. In the beginning some aspects of the rumor made sense, but the further we speculate the sillier it sounds.

BrianLo

but they they want to re-theme it to something that doesn't match the theme of the land the ride is placed in, at all

That's kind of the point... it will be placed in Marvel Land going forward.

From a layout perspective it's already intruding far more into the Marvel plot than it is on the original Hollywood Blvd. In fact, I wonder if the ugly backside of ToT facing the new land forced their hand.

As per why Captain America that someone asked? Maybe they are sticking with the 40's vibe instead of going to modern day MCU.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I was wondering how long it would be before you launched into your "Iger hates the parks" conspiracy theories. I know where this is headed and I'm not buying it.
So what then is the conspiracy? That Disney spend too much in development compared to others? That Disney takes much longer than others? That franchise attractions open years after their released films?

Andrew_Ryan

If the summation of the effort is to be fast and cheap then why do anything at all, especially if it's meant to be a permanent change.

Exactly what I was wondering.

I'm guessing they are just hoping the brand association will be enough to drive a little bit of attendance up at the park. The line for Tower is usually long enough, though, so I guess they are just hoping the line gets longer?

I get they are hoping to expand the area to be Marvel themed. But why does this even need to be a part of that expansion? This all just seems wildly unnecessary.

lazyboy97o

I get they are hoping to expand the area to be Marvel themed. But why does this even need to be a part of that expansion? This all just seems wildly unnecessary.
Because the opening would align with the next film. Why is that really so hard to understand? It was the big change John Lasseter was going to bring to Parks and Resorts. Getting this project done means Chapek achieves the triple crown of cheaper development, faster build out and simultaneous opening.

Andrew_Ryan

Because the opening would align with the next film. Why is that really so hard to understand? It was the big change John Lasseter was going to bring to Parks and Resorts. Getting this project done means Chapek achieves the triple crown of cheaper development, faster build out and simultaneous opening.

No, I get that, but what does that achieve? An overlay to an existing attraction that already gets enough attendance opens at the same time as the movie. Is this supposed to significantly drive up attendance to the park?

BrianLo

So, you'll one day walk through DCA's wonderfully fantastic and charming Buena Vista Street and then out of nowhere, it's Marvel Land. What.

I edited my post, but I kind of wonder if that's why they picked Captain America (for the new E-ticket) - they may stick with 30's/40's era theming. That wouldn't be too disruptive to the overall time period of DCA.

Perhaps @GiveMeTheMusic has heard whispers.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I edited my post, but I kind of wonder if that's why they picked Captain America (for the new E-ticket) - they may stick with 30's/40's era theming. That wouldn't be too disruptive to the overall time period of DCA.

Perhaps @GiveMeTheMusic has heard whispers.

Well, I've known about the Cap theme for some time for the big E-ticket, but I have yet to find out any details about the land itself and how it will be integrated (or not) into the existing park. Based on the Cap situation, I assumed period theming would be possible, if not likely, but the GOTGTOT (what a fun acronym!) would seem to put a wrench in that idea.

I am more and more concerned that the Cap ride will become coffee table book fodder as it keeps getting pushed back and delayed. I had originally been told it would open before Star Wars Land, but I don't see how that would be possible at this point.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
No, I get that, but what does that achieve? An overlay to an existing attraction that already gets enough attendance opens at the same time as the movie. Is this supposed to significantly drive up attendance to the park?

Disney needs to do everything it can to draw people to DCA instead of DL, and it's been four years since DCA has seen an addition of any note (sorry Luigi, you don't count). This would do the trick until something bigger is ready.

lazyboy97o

Even with all of its unique items, it is very easy to conceive of Guardians of the Galaxy outselling the current merchandise. The next few big projects have been in motion for far longer so they did not involve Chapek as much and he would have little room for influence. Getting this done means the new executive achieves something that even John Lasseter could not do; all while making a mark on the parks and an impact on an organization that really does need to change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom