Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

FerretAfros

In general, us West Coasters aren't as foaming at the mouth mad as the East Coasters are over this plan.

A big part of that likely stems from the radically different park environments between DHS and DCA. At DHS, they are down to just five operating rides and a handful of tired stage shows and theaters from the 1990's, three of the five actual rides are E Tickets and Tower is arguably the best. At DCA, there are 21 rides and a similar collection of stage shows and theaters that keep getting plussed and refreshed or replaced entirely to keep up with the times. DCA truly sparkles in the 2010's. Of DCA's 21 rides, five of them are E Tickets, and Tower is middle of the pack at DCA (above Grizzly River Run, even though its lightyears better than Kali, tied with Soarin' and Screamin', and below Radiator Springs Racers).

At DHS Tower of Terror is a standout stellar E Ticket in a theme park that barely exists in its current format. At DCA, Tower of Terror is a fun E Ticket in a park with dozens of other fun things to do. And if refreshing Tower of Terror leads to a new Marvel land behind Tower with DCA's sixth E Ticket in the form of the "mega-coaster", then bring it on.

But I guess I'll kind of miss the Twilight Zone pre-show video with that signature music. No biggie though.
In addition to the reasons you mentioned, there is a lot of additional emotional attachment to it for a lot of guests, similar to Indiana Jones at DL. Both of those attractions:
  • Use completely innovative (at the time) ride systems that hadn't been seen before
  • Use licensed (at the time) IP that added to the story, but isn't really needed for guests to understand what's going on
  • Are fully integrated into the land, with a slow dramatic build and hyper-themed queue
  • Were the last true showstopper added to their respective parks
  • Are of a similar vintage, and are currently aged just right so the kids who saw it as the next great thing are now bringing their own kids to the park for their first ride (much like their parents did with Pirates and Mansion)
  • Have a less-than-stellar counterpart on the opposite coast (DCA's Tower, DAK's Dinosaur)
Now if Disney were to announce that they were doing a quick fix redo of Indiana Jones and Dinosaur with a similarly inappropriate theme (say, Wreck-It Ralph), I think WDW guests would think it's an odd choice but shrug it off, while DLR guests would be getting out the pitchforks and torches

In WDW, Tower of Terror is more than just another ride in the lineup; meanwhile Dinosaur tends to get overlooked by a lot of people. At DLR, Indiana Jones is still regarded as the best thing ever, while guests tend to bypass Tower of Terror. Although the two Towers are copies of one another, they're hardly the same thing

Phroobar

I can see the DCA Tower being themed more like Hightower's hotel at Disney Sea except with the Galaxy Seed (instead of tiki idol) doing weird things to the Collector's storage vaults. At TDS, the boiler room is full of crates and artifacts Hightower purchased. The Collector could have the same kind of stuff. The tower may end up looking more like TDS version rather than WDS version in Paris. This could be an improvement.

DSC02864.jpg

Last edited:

Phroobar

Hey, I defend Dinosaur AKA Countdown to Extinction and prefer it to Indiana Jones. It's actually scary and more intense than Indy. Plus, you go through a giant toaster oven at the beginning and Dr. Seeker's commentary is amazing!
That's because the whole thing is in the dark because they cheeped out on real sets. Dr. Seeker is the ultimate cheeseball.

Curious Constance

Just read this in the weekly Mouseplanet.com Disneyland update:

"On Saturday, WDWMagic.com member WDW1974 posted the bold claim that Disney is currently planning a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay for the Tower of Terror attractions at both Disney California Adventure and Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida."

I'm all up in arms that @GiveMeTheMusic wasn't quoted! You got ripped! :mad:

dweezil78

Hey, I defend Dinosaur AKA Countdown to Extinction and prefer it to Indiana Jones. It's actually scary and more intense than Indy. Plus, you go through a giant toaster oven at the beginning and Dr. Seeker's commentary is amazing!

I wish I could have gone on it during its initial Countdown iteration when it was supposedly a more intense ride. Went on it for the first time about 3 years ago and was super bored by it. I definitely don't think Indy is a perfect attraction (for several reasons), but it's at least held up better than Dinosaur which has too many things going on that make it seem severely outdated.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Just read this in the weekly Mouseplanet.com Disneyland update:

"On Saturday, WDWMagic.com member WDW1974 posted the bold claim that Disney is currently planning a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay for the Tower of Terror attractions at both Disney California Adventure and Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida."

I'm all up in arms that @GiveMeTheMusic wasn't quoted! You got ripped! :mad:

LOL! The inimitable @WDW1974 did post it first. I just vaguely hinted at Marvel changes in 2017, in hopes that someone else would say it so I didn't have to. And 74 did! I'm not after fame; if I was, I'd have been on a Real Housewives show by now. I can see it now - Real Housewives of Greater Anaheim, starring me throwing drinks in people's faces while they talk about tiered pricing in their TDA cubicles and "working" on my burgeoning recording career.

Curious Constance

LOL! The inimitable @WDW1974 did post it first. I just vaguely hinted at Marvel changes in 2017, in hopes that someone else would say it so I didn't have to. And 74 did! I'm not after fame; if I was, I'd have been on a Real Housewives show by now. I can see it now - Real Housewives of Greater Anaheim, starring me throwing drinks in people's faces while they talk about tiered pricing in their TDA cubicles and "working" on my burgeoning recording career.

LOL
I'd watch that.
You sound important.
You don't per chance have any direct contacts to Mr Robert Iger do you? I know if I just met him, he'd see I was made for him. :joyfull::cry::bawling::inlove:

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
LOL
I'd watch that.
You sound important.
You don't per chance have any direct contacts to Mr Robert Iger do you? I know if I just met him, he'd see I was made for him. :joyfull::cry::bawling::inlove:

He's right next to me now! We often have lunch al fresco on my terrace and discuss what he's going to do with this year's $47 million check. I could probably arrange to get you a signed 8x10. ;)

Suspirian

I kinda want this to be announced just to see how much backlash they get. ToT's popularity seems a bit underestimated here. Even if it's counterpart is much better, it's still one of the most popular rides in the park. I don't see this announcement going over well with the loads of locals and AP holders that visit.

mickEblu

I kinda want this to be announced just to see how much backlash they get. ToT's popularity seems a bit underestimated here. Even if it's counterpart is much better, it's still one of the most popular rides in the park. I don't see this announcement going over well with the loads of locals and AP holders that visit.

Thank you. The average guest doesn't care that this TOT is inferior. They would only care that one of their favorite attractions would be gone.

That's what I don't understand. All I ever hear is that DLR's visitors are mostly made up of local APs that go to the parks numerous times a year anyway, weather there is something new or not. I don't see how taking away a fan favorite will generate more revenue. I would imagine most folks/ APs would want TZTOT back after just a few rides of GOTG.

Rich T

Thank you. The average guest doesn't care that this TOT is inferior. They would only care that one of their favorite attractions would be gone.

...I would imagine most folks/ APs would want TZTOT back after just a few rides of GOTG.

But (being optimistic here) what if DCA's tower is a better overall experience after the change? The tower's not going away, it's getting new show elements and theming.

I normally get ticked about things like this, but in TOT's case at DCA... Okay, it's the only version the ride I've ever been on. I love it for the thrill and the mind-games it plays in the drop shaft. But, for me, from day one, the theming just does not work at DCA. You walk in from a busy Hollywoodland into a dusty lobby full of artifacts that no one pays any attention to because the change is so abrupt. 99% of the riders couldn't care less about the backstory---They just want to get to the drop ride ASAP, and the boiler room ties with Soarin' for one of the most boring, tedious holding pens in the entire resort.

And, on the outside, it's just an eyesore. There's no buildup, it's poorly placed and it's ugly. And its ugliness is there to tell a story that most people don't care about, because at DCA it's never been told well. I love the ride (and I'm a long-time fan of The Twilight Zone), but the Haunted Castle at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk does a better job of mood-setting (and its got just about the same abrupt transition time from walkway to queue). Marvel's a good fit for DCA (It's no longer about California, it's about adventures...in a park in California), and our ToT's theme has never been very effective. If the ride's still thrilling and the exterior looks better...how much are we really losing?

Phroobar

It is a weird transition between DCA 1.0 poor theming to better theming by just turning the corner. If the Hyperion had an actual lobby and the side of the animation building didn't look like a warehouse, the theming next to the tower would be better. Right now, it's like we walked into a miniland with a big building and no other theming around it.

I for one, welcome our new Guardians.

Californian Elitist

But (being optimistic here) what if DCA's tower is a better overall experience after the change? The tower's not going away, it's getting new show elements and theming.

I normally get ticked about things like this, but in TOT's case at DCA... Okay, it's the only version the ride I've ever been on. I love it for the thrill and the mind-games it plays in the drop shaft. But, for me, from day one, the theming just does not work at DCA. You walk in from a busy Hollywoodland into a dusty lobby full of artifacts that no one pays any attention to because the change is so abrupt. 99% of the riders couldn't care less about the backstory---They just want to get to the drop ride ASAP, and the boiler room ties with Soarin' for one of the most boring, tedious holding pens in the entire resort.

And, on the outside, it's just an eyesore. There's no buildup, it's poorly placed and it's ugly. And its ugliness is there to tell a story that most people don't care about, because at DCA it's never been told well. I love the ride (and I'm a long-time fan of The Twilight Zone), but the Haunted Castle at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk does a better job of mood-setting (and its got just about the same abrupt transition time from walkway to queue). Marvel's a good fit for DCA (It's no longer about California, it's about adventures...in a park in California), and our ToT's theme has never been very effective. If the ride's still thrilling and the exterior looks better...how much are we really losing?

I agree with everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom