Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

BrianLo

I am more and more concerned that the Cap ride will become coffee table book fodder as it keeps getting pushed back and delayed. I had originally been told it would open before Star Wars Land, but I don't see how that would be possible at this point.

Yes, I think Mice Age more or less implied Star Wars forced its way to the front of the line. It's kind of too bad they didn't just go all in and open this near simultaneously to counteract the crushing Star Wars throngs that will drown DL.

I have to assume though the mini land M&G's may still be a sooner than later thing with all the heroes already kicked out of DL.

I also hope they extend the Trolley into this land as well. Maybe even add a third car to the track.

Californian Elitist

That's kind of the point... it will be placed in Marvel Land going forward.

From a layout perspective it's already intruding far more into the Marvel plot than it is on the original Hollywood Blvd. In fact, I wonder if the ugly backside of ToT facing the new land forced their hand.

As per why Captain America that someone asked? Maybe they are sticking with the 40's vibe instead of going to modern day MCU.

My point still stands. They're doing this in the name of corporate greed and IP branding.

Curious Constance

I doubt anyone is worried about quality, although the execution of Launch Bay leaves a whole bunch to be desired. But quality isn't the principle of the matter. It's the fact that they want to not only re-theme a well-loved ride, but they they want to re-theme it to something that doesn't match the theme of the land the ride is placed in, at all, and it's all in the name of corporate greed and IP branding.
I was specifically referring to his post stating it couldn't possibly be quality if it's rethemed.

Curious Constance

Raven summed it up pretty well above. I ll just add that yes I do think the odds of the imagineers creating a better ride than TOT are slim when considering this is still a drop ride (nothing to do with GOTG other than some lame backstory they would put together) and that they have to work around the existing infrastructure.

But this isn't even my main concern. My main issue is that one of my favorite rides would be gone all in the name of Greed and synergy. Not because the ride isn't extremely popular. Not because its theme doesn't work extremely well in its respective land. Just so some exec can puff his chest saying he got Marvel in the parks faster and cheaper. And yes if you know anything about how Disney works these days you should know that a timeline of one year means it will be done on the cheap. But u don't even have to know that. All you should need to hear is a haunted hotel being rethemed to GOTG and that should tell you everything you need to know.

I get that Disney is a business. I may even be willing to give them a pass if I thought this dumb re skin would actually generate more money long term but I don't. I think this is a really shortsighted move and the buzz would die down rather quickly. This whole thing just screams temporary overlay and not this crazy permanent idea.
I get what you're saying. I guess I don't understand the outrage over something so up in the air, and the astonishment if it is true. Likely most changes in the future will be IP based.

mickEblu

I get what you're saying. I guess I don't understand the outrage over something so up in the air, and the astonishment if it is true. Likely most changes in the future will be IP based.

My problem isn't that it's an IP. I thought that I very clearly stated in my 17 posts exactly why I don't like this idea. I guess not.

What makes you think I'm outraged? The length of my posts? The frequency of my posts? I would say I'm more disappointed to even hear this is being discussed. I'll be dumbfounded and upset if it really happens. I won't stand in front of the attraction with a picket sign but I think it would be somewhat of an unprecedented and unecessary move.

Curious Constance

My problem isn't that it's an IP. I thought that I very clearly stated in my 17 posts exactly why I don't like this idea. I guess not.

What makes you think I'm outraged? The length of my posts? The frequency of my posts? I would say I'm more disappointed to even hear this is being discussed. I'll be dumbfounded and upset if it really happens. I won't stand in front of the attraction with a picket sign but I think it would be somewhat of an unprecedented and unecessary move.

Well right out of the gate, your comment "Wait... Are you frickin kiddin me?! Would this be a temporary overlay or will TOT be closing for good? I kind of got sick reading ^^^ this post." led me to believe you were kinda outraged. But it really doesn't matter, your opinion is yours to state, I was just explaining I didn't see the point of getting worked up when this probably won't amount to much, if anything.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think I read a rumor somewhere recently that Iger was able to renegotiate the Marvel licenses back from Universal in Florida. I can't remember where I saw it.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I think I read a rumor somewhere recently that Iger was able to renegotiate the Marvel licenses back from Universal in Florida. I can't remember where I saw it.

It's not true. Guardians is the only major Marvel property that Disney has legally cleared for use in WDW, and it's likely to stay that way since Universal likes the arrangement and their rights are in perpetuity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom