Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

Curious Constance

I'm sorry I did not mean to offend you. I just really believe that it's easy to see that it's creatively a terrible idea to retheme a haunted hotel drop ride to GOTG. It's also Cheap and lazy. Disney knows that they could do so many better things with the GOTG franchise but they re taking the easy route.

With Fantasyland 2.0 it was an obvious step in the right direction. They made the Fantasyland theming a million times better by removing those cheap Medieval circus tents or whatever they were and putting in charming facades. IMO Retheming TZTOT to GOTG is going backwards.

LOL and yes we all have are things, whether they be E tickets we love or pancakes.

You had to bring up the pancakes!!!!

Phroobar

I'm kinda like a love machine.
keep_calm_and_love_thor_by_ameh_lia-d50wo41.jpg

Oswald1927

If this happens I'd be OK with it. It makes no difference to me if I walk by some moldy old furniture or space junk in the lobby. I will still hate being corralled in the library to watch a video I'll ignore since there is just more waiting to be done on the other side. If I wave goodbye to Star-Lord and his cohorts instead of a little girl and her posse, before dropping I'm fine. If there is a Howard the Duck I can see hanging out somewhere, then so much the better.

LuckyOswald

Hi all, first time poster to the DL section of the boards! I was going to start my own topic but I think this may be as good of a place as any to ask my question:

As a KY resident, WDW has been my "home park", but I really want to get out to DL soon. I'm wondering what your alls opinion is on going in 2016 vs 2017? It would be a summer trip either way and I just want to go whichever year will offer a more "definitive" DL experience(diamond celebration vs Fantasmic! Being closed, etc). Thanks for reading!

(And sorry to divert from the ToT concerns...I'm just praying they don't touch DHS' version!!)

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Hi all, first time poster to the DL section of the boards! I was going to start my own topic but I think this may be as good of a place as any to ask my question:

As a KY resident, WDW has been my "home park", but I really want to get out to DL soon. I'm wondering what your alls opinion is on going in 2016 vs 2017? It would be a summer trip either way and I just want to go whichever year will offer a more "definitive" DL experience(diamond celebration vs Fantasmic! Being closed, etc). Thanks for reading!

(And sorry to divert from the ToT concerns...I'm just praying they don't touch DHS' version!!)

Visiting in 2016 means Diamonds, but no Fantasmic. If you come in late summer or fall 2017, our new Fantasmic will be ready. That's the only major difference, as Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever will both continue beyond the Diamond celebration - so what you'll really miss from that is the castle decor (no big deal). So if you REALLY want to wait for Fantasmic, put it off to 2017. There's so much else to do though that coming in 2016 is still a great choice.

The other problem is that you'll want to come back ASAP after visiting once, so if you come in 2016, you may end up coming back in 2017 anyway. ;)

Mike S

In addition to the reasons you mentioned, there is a lot of additional emotional attachment to it for a lot of guests, similar to Indiana Jones at DL. Both of those attractions:
  • Use completely innovative (at the time) ride systems that hadn't been seen before
  • Use licensed (at the time) IP that added to the story, but isn't really needed for guests to understand what's going on
  • Are fully integrated into the land, with a slow dramatic build and hyper-themed queue
  • Were the last true showstopper added to their respective parks
  • Are of a similar vintage, and are currently aged just right so the kids who saw it as the next great thing are now bringing their own kids to the park for their first ride (much like their parents did with Pirates and Mansion)
  • Have a less-than-stellar counterpart on the opposite coast (DCA's Tower, DAK's Dinosaur)
Now if Disney were to announce that they were doing a quick fix redo of Indiana Jones and Dinosaur with a similarly inappropriate theme (say, Wreck-It Ralph), I think WDW guests would think it's an odd choice but shrug it off, while DLR guests would be getting out the pitchforks and torches

In WDW, Tower of Terror is more than just another ride in the lineup; meanwhile Dinosaur tends to get overlooked by a lot of people. At DLR, Indiana Jones is still regarded as the best thing ever, while guests tend to bypass Tower of Terror. Although the two Towers are copies of one another, they're hardly the same thing
Considering Wreck-It Ralph has no business being in DAK we'd be right there with you guys. Plus Indiana Jones has become my favorite attraction built by Disney. If they touched it......... :mad:

Also, the more I read about DCA's Marvel Land the more I like Marvel Superhero Island.

George Lucas on a Bench

If it hadn't been for the acquisition of Lucasfilm...

I just get this sense from the Indiana Jones Adventure, considering it's very loose attachment to Indiana Jones, it seems as though it was designed so that they could easily remove the Indy character if it were to ever become irrelevant or they decided they didn't want the property anymore.

Suspirian

just out of curiosity, is there anything that you guys think would be a better fitting overlay beside the original tz theme?

lazyboy97o

If it hadn't been for the acquisition of Lucasfilm...

I just get this sense from the Indiana Jones Adventure, considering it's very loose attachment to Indiana Jones, it seems as though it was designed so that they could easily remove the Indy character if it were to ever become irrelevant or they decided they didn't want the property anymore.
Baxter pretty much admits that using Indianna Jones was about branding and name recognition.

Shiriki Utundu.

If Twilight Zone really had to go and that was the only issue here.
The Hightower story doesn't really make sense for California or Florida. Southern California just isn't associated with those themes while Hightower disappeared decades before their time period.

D

Deleted member 107043

just out of curiosity, is there anything that you guys think would be a better fitting overlay beside the original tz theme?

The Tokyo version isn't themed to TZ and from all accounts it's great.

Rich T

Maliboomer's Revenge. The lobby, library and boiler room would have artifacts from DCA 1.0, with ominous hints that Paul Pressler is back in power. Once aboard, instead of seeing ghosts, you find that the elevator is being controlled by Whoopi Goldberg and Drew Carey.

Californian Elitist

There shouldn't be as many IP's in Hollywood Land as there are now. What Disney could do, but won't do, is base the tower off an actual Los Angeles hotel that is believed to be haunted. One of them is the Cecil Hotel, but I could see that example getting turned down within seconds of getting brought up in a meeting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Hotel_(Los_Angeles)

StarWarsGirl

I'm honestly okay with them changing TofT in DCA, but for DHS's....

Not that the DCA version is bad, but it does seem like it was thrown up there in comparison to DHS's. The best part of DHS's is after you move forward into the elevator shaft and you're just hanging there, not knowing whether you'll go up first or down first. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed DCA's, but whenever I go to WDW, I don't settle until I've been on TofT (which is why I usually head to DHS first). Even though it made me cry when I was a kid. :joyfull::hilarious: WDW's TofT isn't just another e-ticket. It's easily one of the best attractions in the entire resort. Which is why WDW fans are so attached to it.

Not sure Marvel fits in DCA, but for goodness sake, leave DHS's TofT alone.

StarWarsGirl

It's been too long (several years) since I've been on the DHS version, so I can't remember how their loading works.
Basically, after the preshow, you're separated into two lines (you self-separate, no CMs directing). Then when you get to the front of that line, a CM assigns you to a row in one of the two elevator entries (four entries total). The process takes about 10-15 minutes, usually less, after the preshow. No excessive wrapping around towards the front. If there's a wait for TofT in DHS, the line outside wraps around. There's no wrapping around on the inside of the hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom