Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

Mike S

One of DL's traditions is that it is always in a state of becoming. Don't get me wrong, I understand people's sentimental attachment to certain rides and attractions, but in my mind it's all sort of temporary. Ever since I was a kid I always assumed that at some point, either in my lifetime or in someone else's, most of the stuff at Disneyland would be updated, refreshed, changed, or replaced by something else. Given its history it's a bit confusing why people expect the place to remain exactly as it was when they first experienced it.
We don't expect the place to remain the same. We expect replacements to be smarter and not so boneheaded.

mickEblu

One of DL's traditions is that it is always in a state of becoming. Don't get me wrong, I understand people's sentimental attachment to certain rides and attractions, but in my mind it's all sort of temporary. Ever since I was a kid I always assumed that at some point, either in my lifetime or in someone else's, most of the stuff at Disneyland would be updated, refreshed, changed, or replaced by something else. Given its history it's a bit confusing why people expect the place to remain exactly as it was when they first experienced it.

I think there needs to be a blend. Attractions like POTC/ HM/ and yes even TOT should always stick around. They can be plussed but the basic experience should remain the same. There's plenty of not so great attractions that can be torn down for something new.

POTC Is like the Roman Coliseum of Disneyland. You wouldn't tear that down to build a brand new state of the art stadium would you? Generations get accustomed to these fantastic attractions and there really is no good reason to get rid of them. For every POTC there is a Buzz light year Astro Blasters or a cluster of cheap flat rides that can be demolished.

EDIT: some of these classic attractions have been around for nearly 50 years or more. That's hardly temporary. That's old enough for a great grandpa to ride the Matterhorn with his great grandson. He might break his hip... But still.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

. Attractions like POTC/ HM/ and yes even TOT should always stick around. They can be plussed but the basic experience should remain the same.

Presumably the base experience will be the same, no? A high speed ride up and down in an elevator shaft.

POTC Is like the Roman Coliseum of Disneyland. You wouldn't tear that down to build a brand new state of the art stadium would you?

Yeah, I don't know about that. See, I don't consider anything at Disneyland as being equivalent to a 1,900 year old architectural wonder like the Roman Colosseum. Sorry. By the way, the Roman Colosseum was modified several times after it was built. ;)

some of these classic attractions have been around for nearly 50 years or more. That's hardly temporary. That's old enough for a great grandpa to ride the Matterhorn with his great grandson

True, but it's been changed and altered several times since 1959 and it'll probably be altered, or even removed, at some point before the world ends. *shrugs*

FigmentForver96

You don't know enough about the final plans to even make such a statement.
Im sorry there is nothing smart about this choice. To them maybe...but only on a money bases. A real smart theme park company pays money to build and add to their parks with amazing new technology and experiences. They do not take something already popular, throw a cheap overlay over it and call it a day.

mickEblu

Presumably the base experience will be the same, no? A high speed ride up and down in an elevator shaft.

Yeah, I don't know about that. See, I don't consider anything at Disneyland as being equivalent to a 1,900 year old architectural wonder like the Roman Colosseum. Sorry. By the way, the Roman Colosseum was modified several times after it was built. ;)

True, but it's been changed and altered several times since 1959 and it'll probably be altered, or even removed, at some point before the world ends. *shrugs*

In this case I don't consider the basic experience to be the same. IMO the drops are only the thrill portion of the ride but it's the story and the set up of the thrill portion that makes the attraction so great.

Right, the Matterhorn has been upgraded a few times already and these changes meet my definition of plussing. Your still in a bobsled, racing through and around a snowy mountain, escaping the Yeti. And for the most part they were all steps in the right direction. From getting rid of the visible steel structure in the Mountain to adding Harold to the recent additions ( for the most part) were all good.

Turning TOT into a GOTG ride is not plussing. That's completely changing the story of the attraction. The drops in TOT is not what defines this attraction. It's the story before the drops. If they changed the interior of Splash mountain to scenes from Zootopia would you consider that the same basic attraction just because the drops were the same? Turning TZTOT into GOTG makes about just as much sense if they turned Splash Mountain into Rain Forest District Falls.

EDIT: could you please tell me how to respond in between all your comments on a post individually instead of responding to all of them together at the end of the quote? How do you people do this!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

EDIT: could you please tell me how to respond in between all your comments on a post individually instead of responding to all of them together at the end of the quote? How do you people do this!!

Highlight the comment you want to reply to and click "quote" then click the insert quotes button. Repeat until you're done.

D

Deleted member 107043

Im sorry there is nothing smart about this choice.

Again, I understand it isn't your preference (it isn't mine either, tbh), but you don't know enough about it to say whether it's smart, brilliant or stupid. In all seriousness it's still a rumor, so how can you definitively conclude that it isn't a smart decision without any concrete details?

Californian Elitist

Im sorry there is nothing smart about this choice. To them maybe...but only on a money bases. A real smart theme park company pays money to build and add to their parks with amazing new technology and experiences. They do not take something already popular, throw a cheap overlay over it and call it a day.

"Cheap," "lazy," and "insensitive" are three terms I would use to describe the Disney Parks management team, right now, including Robert Iger, whom I can't stand. I'd also say "greedy" as well. These kinds of stupid considerations and decisions is what we can look forward to in the future, as long as good ol' Bobby is CEO. Yay!

Mike S

"Cheap," "lazy," and "insensitive" are three terms I would use to describe the Disney Parks management team, right now, including Robert Iger, whom I can't stand. I'd also say "greedy" as well. These kinds of stupid considerations and decisions is what we can look forward to in the future, as long as good ol' Bobby is CEO. Yay!
image.jpeg

BrianLo

I probably wouldn't use the word cheap - they spend inappropriate amounts of money. Wasteful perhaps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom