Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

el_super

So because of safety Disney can't have aliens or robots in their largest land of all time because they are afraid of people taking photos?
😂

Yeah did you not read what I wrote about crowding? Unmanaged Character Interactions is a huge problem that has clogged the walkways of Disneyland before. Maybe you don't remember what it was like when characters freely roamed around Disneyland and how that slowly morphed into the set locations we have now? Maybe you don't remember when Rafiki would stop to meet people in front of the Tiki Room and no one could get into Adventureland. Maybe you don't remember what happened to Jack Sparrow when he roamed New Orleans Square?

I still want to be optimistic and say that the crowding itself was the cause of all this, but it could be a result of changes in human behavior that now makes those impromptu interactions unsafe.

When I’m there, we ll all be making the best of it. That’s how it’s always been. In fact if anything, I’ll likely have a better experience now because of the low expectations.

That's the spirit ... ?

Mac Tonight

I know that many of us lament fast passes but are we really better off without them? Fast passes might be a case where they were better for APs who just wanted to do few Es and some smaller attractions but not necessarily vacationers. I’d much rather have a front of the line pass if I’m on vacation.

Anyway I’m looking at the wait times and everything seems to be between 25-50 minutes with a few exceptions. In this scenario you avoid the mega long lines but have virtually no walk ons and everything is a decent wait. For my money, I think I’d feel more satisfaction fast passing a few big rides, having to wait in maybe 1-2 long ones, having some walk ons and some average wait times. The variety I think helps. Right now you are just waiting at least 25 -40 minutes for most attractions and just doing that over and over. It’s nice to hear those lines stay moving though.

Then again this isn’t a perfect experiment as ride capacity is limited right now.
I honestly could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've used FP in the last 10 years. And one of those times we were given a couple by a CM when we first arrived. Being a former local AP(RIP), I quickly unburdened myself from feeling like each visit had to include everything I wanted. If a line was too long, I just didn't go. I'd much rather that family of 6 visiting from Iowa get to ride than me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The fact is after they decided to increase capacity to 35% this week it makes anytime between now and June 15h the worst time to go. As you have the most restrictions and least capacity.

...if only people had foreseen this...

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 3.10.23 PM.png

The park's offers are not running at full bore... this far offsets the lower attendance... so you still end up with a limited, and yet crowded experience even though the gate admissions are limited.

mickEblu

I honestly could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've used FP in the last 10 years. And one of those times we were given a couple by a CM when we first arrived. Being a former local AP(RIP), I quickly unburdened myself from feeling like each visit had to include everything I wanted. If a line was too long, I just didn't go. I'd much rather that family of 6 visiting from Iowa get to ride than me.

That’s nice and selfless of you but I think everyone will ride everything they want to ride don’t you? It’s just what they prioritize and how long they wait thats the question. Don’t you think FPs were perfect for the approach you re talking about? FP 1-3 rides and wing the rest. That’s kind of what what my trips used to look like.

mickEblu

...if only people had foreseen this...

View attachment 559114

The park's offers are not running at full bore... this far offsets the lower attendance... so you still end up with a limited, and yet crowded experience even though the gate admissions are limited.

Not to take anything away from you but who without common sense didn’t understand this? There no denying however, that the first 2-3 weeks were better to visit than the next 3 weeks will be. At 15-25% it was at least pleasant to walk around the parks. At 35% and with queues spilling out into walkways I’m not so sure.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not to take anything away from you but who without common sense didn’t understand this? There no denying however, that the first 2-3 weeks were better to visit than the next 3 weeks will be. At 15-25% it was at least pleasant to walk around the parks. At 35% and with queues spilling out into walkways I’m not so sure.
My point is - you whining about what the parks would be as you lined up for your trip and thinking 'worse or not' was always flawed from the start. As you say... 'who without common sense didn't understand this'... yet, how many posts do we have here from you comtemplating on which date, what it will be like, etc etc and NOW worried about boosting attendance and it's impact? As we said.. already knew this was going to be a crowd, not the 'no one here!!' experience some people believed at the start.

Mac Tonight

That’s nice and selfless of you but I think everyone will ride everything they want to ride don’t you? It’s just what they prioritize and how long they wait thats the question. Don’t you think FPs were perfect for the approach you re talking about? FP 1-3 rides and wing the rest. That’s kind of what what my trips used to look like.
Well of course they will, since that's what they're going for. I'm not even saying I'm against FP, I just personally didn't like to use it, and I certainly wouldn't pay more for something like MaxPass. I always thought they should have made the FP queue an AP holders queue but that went at the reverse ratio so more standby folks got in over AP's.

No matter how Disney slices it, things like crowds, wait times, etc will always be "problematic" in some way shape or form.

mickEblu

My point is - you whining about what the parks would be as you lined up for your trip and thinking 'worse or not' was always flawed from the start. As you say... 'who without common sense didn't understand this'... yet, how many posts do we have here from you comtemplating on which date, what it will be like, etc etc and NOW worried about boosting attendance and it's impact? As we said.. already knew this was going to be a crowd, not the 'no one here!!' experience some people believed at the start.

Whining? GTFOH

The parks were pleasant the last few weeks besides the whole food dilemma. What are you talking about? I’m saying who didn’t understand the basic math that not everything was going to be a walk on just because the parks were at 25%.? I’m now upset that I didn’t get the more pleasant 25% and getting the more unknown 35% with longer lines than I would have had 3 days ago. Pretty easy to understand.

mickEblu

I think I chose the best time to go. The first couple of weeks would have had startup problems, more confusion and an onslaught of bloggers taking videos of themselves. You definitely felt that 25 percent even with absurdly distanced lines cluttering walkways.

You went on one of the last pretty good days and had the bonus of the park closing at 9pm. In hindsight I think opening week was the best with the walk ons everywhere. In actuality, I was never going to book my trip on the days they were closing the parks at 7pm.

mickEblu

I’m going to see how it plays out over the next couple of weeks. Wait times didn’t look bad on the app this afternoon and tonight for the most part. DCA looked a bit worse, at least for Racers and Guardians

You re lucky that you are able to do that. With my trip being booked for the first weekend after the increase to 35% I’m just rolling the dice. With that said, the wait times haven’t been too bad today and today DL reservations are all booked up today as they are this weekend when I’m going. Of course, we don’t know if they sold the same amount of tickets for today and this weekend.

DavidNoble

More of the magic is returning! The phased reopening of the Disneyland Resort moves another step forward as the Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland Resort’s original hotel, reopens on July 2, 2021 with limited capacity. You can make room reservations now for your next memorable vacation at this landmark AAA Four Diamond hotel, immersed in the magic of Disney day and night!

Staying in the Fantasy Tower is enchanting, where the nostalgia of Disneyland, touches of pixie dust and “hidden” Mickeys meld with the hotel’s mid-century modern design. Initially, the Fantasy Tower will be the first Disneyland Hotel tower to reopen. In all guest rooms, one of my favorite features is the headboard that lights up with fireworks and plays, “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes.” It’s so special!

During the closure, the upholstery and fabrics throughout the guest rooms, lobbies and meeting rooms were refreshed and updated. The guest rooms now feature a fun new fireworks pattern in the carpet and upgraded platform beds to help maximize storage. The corridor flooring features new patterns inspired by the art of Mary Blair with graphic elements recalling the park lands each of the towers are named for.

If you’re yearning for some yummy nibbles during your hotel stay, make a date at Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar, Tangaroa Terrace Tropical Bar & Grill or the Coffee House. We recommend using the mobile order service on the Disneyland app** for added convenience at Tangaroa Terrace and the Coffee House."

All for the low LOW price of $1000/night

DrAlice

I'm with @mickEblu... We are going in a couple of weeks (after Avenger's campus, but before June 15), and I'm a little apprehensive of crazy crowds. I really hope Disney opens up the indoor dining that is allowed at this tier. That would definitely take people out of the walkways and lines, and take some pressure off of mobile ordering.

Well, whatever happens this will be an adventure. The "remember when we went to DL and we had to wear masks and couldn't use fastpass" trip. :)

CaptinEO

I don't know how else they could have done it to make it seamless.
It was supposed to be an active role playing land full of actors and missions to do.

When the Falcon thing was first brought up they talked about Bounty Hunters accosting you in the land for damaging it as an example.

Having a cashier make a comment isn't even close to what was promised.

They also talked about being actively part of quests and stories from the characters/creatures in the land.

I thought it would've been really fun to see all this going on or be a part of it. It would make it a living world.

mickEblu

I'm with @mickEblu... We are going in a couple of weeks (after Avenger's campus, but before June 15), and I'm a little apprehensive of crazy crowds. I really hope Disney opens up the indoor dining that is allowed at this tier. That would definitely take people out of the walkways and lines, and take some pressure off of mobile ordering.

Well, whatever happens this will be an adventure. The "remember when we went to DL and we had to wear masks and couldn't use fastpass" trip. :)

Hahah yeah It’ll be different for sure. I think what gets lost in all the planning is that we’ll finally be at Disneyland again, riding POTC and Splash, eating plaza inn fried chicken and pulling our masks down slightly under our nose on the rides.

fctiger

Wow crowds have definitely picked up. All the usual suspects are over an hour now in both DL and DCA. I said a few weeks ago I expected DCA to be a lot more quieter compared to DL but even that park is now pretty busy as well. And I think a lot of people are using PH to see as much as possible. I am really curious what is going to happen by June 15th because it does sound like they will be able to have the park at nearly full capacity again. It's really hard to say if it will be better or worse because I guess it will depend on the other factors like increasing capacity for the rides themselves, being able to eat indoors, etc. I would assume all that increases as well though.

Either way it doesn't really bother me. I've never cared if the parks are packed or not and expect them to be busy. Sure I would like it less crowded lol but it never bothered me if they were. You just have to form a game plan decide the stuff you really want to do and just get in line! Everybody has smart phones, it's pretty easy to pass the time away these days. I do hope the FPs will come back but I don't expect it to for the rest of the year at least.

VJ

you: back to normal!
disney: ok we'll increase crowds to pre-pandemic levels
you: no crowds! only back to normal!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom