Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'm really going to be in the inferior park all day huh?
giphy.gif
So were they not parkhoppers?

flynnibus

Premium Member
If they can make more money with lower attendance why would they chose to have higher attendance and make less money.

Because they don’t need to make a hard promise to limit capacity to get people to pay the price asked. Disney can say they are addressing crowding without actually putting a hard cap inplace.

If you have 50 people willing to pay a price... they will always want to allow more than 50 if they are willing. Disney doesn’t put giving you a premium experience over their need to show growth.

Disney will not goto a boutique “limted admission” model. They are open too much to sustain that all the time and are too focused on growing profits.

I love the model at discovery cove. But it can work there for different reasons... and charges almost 3x the market rate of its competition for that perk.

Tldr - disney doesn’t need a hard cap to appease that demo of wanting less crowding
The CEO said this himself just a month back.

If Disney has 50 thousand guests spending 200 for a ticket vs 100 thousand AP guests getting in for an average discount of 70 dollars, you can see where there is a price differential.

Food, merch, etc can all be factored. No one has the data but Disney. When the CEO considered GE a huge success despite insanely low crowds and mentioned they found happier guests meant more spending, you can't argue with it.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I've spent two full days at DCA in my life... open to close... and you always hit a point where you're like 'why am I even here'.

Especially if they don't have the Frozen show or World of Color to take up time.
I think I've done full days at DCA about 4 times. Honestly, I never felt that I was bored or had to make an effort to stretch my time. This was even while using Fastpasses.

I think just about every time I had gotten dining packages for WoC. That's a good hour or so for dinner and then another hour to an hour and a half waiting for the show, so that takes up some time. Saw the Frozen show once. Twice we did the Animation Academy drawing characters. Add in some shopping too and it wasn't too bad. Then again, those were usually the sleep-in days and didn't get to the park until about 9 or 10am. Also to note, those were fairly busy days, but unlike Disneyland we never felt we had to rush around to get everything done. DCA always felt more relaxing that way.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
My friend bought a small group of us tickets and when I saw he chose DCA for the park and I saw "ALL DAY" was selected...I may have prayed that he bought Park Hoppers.
source.gif
When I had gotten my reservations, knowing I had a 2-day parkhopper ticket, it had asked which park to start in first (which I anticipated). I wanted to make sure I could see Avengers Campus, so the first day I chose Disneyland as my first park, and the second day I chose DCA. When the confirmation screen came up saying "ALL DAY" I freaked out for a second but realized that is just the guarantee for that park.

It is opening weekend for Avengers Campus, and I didn't want to take a chance I wouldn't be able to parkhop over there even though it probably won't be a problem. My bigger fear is not being able to parkhop back to Disneyland the second day.

Tamandua

If they can make more money with lower attendance why would they chose to have higher attendance and make less money.

The CEO said this himself mentioned that exact sentiment a month back.

If Disney has 50 thousand guests spending 200 for a ticket vs 100 thousand AP guests getting in for an average discount of 70 dollars, you can see where there is a price differential.

Food, merch, etc can all be factored. No one has the data but Disney. When the CEO considered GE a huge success despite insanely low crowds and mentioned they found happier guests meant more spending, you can't argue with it.
What do you expect the CEO to say right now? He's not going to be like "we're at very limited capacity. We're screwed!" He's going to spin it to make it sound like a good thing even though he's really just highlighting a silver lining. Again... If lower capacity was the key to higher profits, they absolutely would have made that change years ago.

ToTBellHop

I really liked DCA last time I went in 2005 and can’t imagine liking it less, now, but I’m not from CA and accustomed to WDW parks, if that has influence. I found DCA to be a lot of fun.

waltography

I think I've done full days at DCA about 4 times. Honestly, I never felt that I was bored or had to make an effort to stretch my time. This was even while using Fastpasses.

I think just about every time I had gotten dining packages for WoC. That's a good hour or so for dinner and then another hour to an hour and a half waiting for the show, so that takes up some time. Saw the Frozen show once. Twice we did the Animation Academy drawing characters. Add in some shopping too and it wasn't too bad. Then again, those were usually the sleep-in days and didn't get to the park until about 9 or 10am. Also to note, those were fairly busy days, but unlike Disneyland we never felt we had to rush around to get everything done. DCA always felt more relaxing that way.
I have a soft spot for DCA for this reason; I know people think it's a half day park, but for me it's filled out to be a very manageable day park with room for meals and some downtime at the Animation building. Disneyland has the blessing of so many options, but I rarely have time to go to do table service or rest because we hop from fast pass to fast pass.

Disneyland's the better park by far, don't get me wrong, but I won't turn down a full day at DCA.

Supreme Leader

When I had gotten my reservations, knowing I had a 2-day parkhopper ticket, it had asked which park to start in first (which I anticipated). I wanted to make sure I could see Avengers Campus, so the first day I chose Disneyland as my first park, and the second day I chose DCA. When the confirmation screen came up saying "ALL DAY" I freaked out for a second but realized that is just the guarantee for that park.

It is opening weekend for Avengers Campus, and I didn't want to take a chance I wouldn't be able to parkhop over there even though it probably won't be a problem. My bigger fear is not being able to parkhop back to Disneyland the second day.
I haven't asked him yet because I don't want to seem ungrateful because he paid for my ticket. :hungover: But this is good to know.
Otherwise this'll be me in DCA watching people go into Disneyland AKA the superior park.

1618687133660.png

Tamandua

Whatever remaining capacity that fills up after the 20th will likely be mostly comped employee tickets, which bring in no revenue. If I were Disney looking at the availability leftover even with covid capacity limits, I think I would be missing that guaranteed revenue from APs right about now.

DrAlice

I reserved 3 days: 2 DL, 1 DCA. We have parkhoppers, but if we didn't, I would've done the same. We've always enjoyed DCA. No, there isn't as much to do as DL, but my daughter loves two fan-board hated rides: Goofy's Sky School and Little Mermaid. We have been known to circle back and forth between those. lol... (With an occasional Incredicoaster thrown in for good measure.) Also, the wide-open walkways are less claustrophobic and that makes my husband happier.

To be fair, my kid doesn't deal well with staying up too late, so we don't typically stay until closing. We always find enough to do from opening until it is time to leave.

We are looking forward to checking out the new SpiderMan thing this time. Hopefully, the line won't be too nuts.

fctiger

The CEO said this himself mentioned that exact sentiment a month back.

Because it just isn't realistic. Tourists only really come during summer and Christmas. The rest of the year it's mostly locals. It's been this way for a long long time now. Of course they would love to get more high paying guests in all year. I imagine every theme park would. But that's just not the reality and exactly why every theme parks have APs, season and local discounts every year. What's funny is they tried this when DCA opened. I wrote a lengthy post about that a few months back here. That was literally the entire point of DCA but the park sucked so much it failed. They wanted a way to bring in tourists not just to stay longer, but come more often while giving less benefits to locals and it didn't work. So then they begged for the locals to show up again and it's been that way ever since.

Tokyo Disneyland Resort is the perfect example. That place gets much more sales in both merchandise and high tourism than DLR does. I use to live there and go all the time. They have more Disney hotels there and building a new five star hotel now. And they sell out much more as well than DLR does most of the year (why they have more hotels). But it's still not enough tourists to sustain the resort all year and why they not only have APs, but also yearly local seasonal discounts, after 6 tickets on the weekdays (for the after work crowd) and after 3 tickets on the weekends. Because even with all the tourists they get, they rely on locals showing up and need tons of people in those parks. All of those tickets are in place now even with lower capacity. And a one day ticket there is still only around $80. Not the ridiculous $150+ at DLR. So naturally more people just buy one day tickets. It's still crazy TDS cost half as much to get in than DCA does lol.

And the other reality is all the other Disney theme parks still has an AP program, why is that? Because they need it. DLR is just in a different position because they had TOO MANY locals and APs coming and had to find a way to slim it down with the lower capacity. I agree they can definitely find ways to limit it, but it's no way they are going to wipe it out completely because they really can't afford to. Again we already know this due to the membership program coming. It will probably just be a way to control the crowds more, which will be a good thing. But it will basically just be an AP program, although I doubt it will come anytime soon.

DLR is not WDW. End of the day it relies on locals much more than it does on tourists. That's just a fact. There is a reason why Disney has not bothered to even build another hotel since opening GCH literally 20 years ago now. Even when given the opportunity to do it like a few years ago, it's clearly not a priority for them because it's more for one day guests unlike WDW.

Last edited:

fctiger

I LOVE the atmosphere and nostalgia of Disneyland, but Grizzly River Run, Incredicoaster, Tower of...Guardians, and Soarin' are the rides I enjoy the most in both parks.

Guardians and Incredicoaster are my kids favorite rides there easily. They liked them when they were TOT and CS, but these appeal to them way more and why they were changed over to begin with.

fctiger

Day three availability update:

View attachment 549821

Approximate wait to get reservations right now reads less than a minute.

This really says it all. I think all of us, including Disney, thought the first month would sell out by now at least. But you can still basically go to every park. Even with DL not available, just as long as you buy a 2 day park hopper. The only days that sold out the quickest was the weekend AC open and that still took two days to happen. Again, we are talking about attendance at a quarter of what it normally is and the parks being closed literally a full year now.

Maybe when it gets closer to the summer it will sell out more but it doesn't seem to be a huge ground swell of people dying to go outside of the most hardcore. I think majority of people are not in a rush or maybe just want to go when things are more normal again.

Last edited:

Tamandua

This really says it all. I think all of us, including Disney, thought the first month would sell out by now at least. But you can still basically go to every park. Even with DL not available, just as long as you buy a 2 day park hopper. The only days that sold out the quickest was the weekend AC open and that still took two days to happen. Again, we are talking about attendance at a quarter of what it normally is and the parks being closed literally a full year now.

Maybe when it gets closer to the summer it will sell out more but it doesn't seem to be a huge ground swell of people dying to go outside of the most hardcore. I think majority of people are not in a rush or maybe just want to go when things are more normal again.
There's been so much talk of pent up demand, but there's been a lot of demand to just do anything with so much shut down. Now that everything is opening at the same time, some people will go to DLR, but many others will be happy to do other things that are now available. I think Downtown Disney's popularity as a small taste of entertainment amidst practically no competition gave a false sense of pent up demand. It's not like disneyworld has been selling out regularly since they reopened. They even made discount tickets available for residents. A lot of diehard Disneyland people also made the trip to Disney world recently. We did. So there's less demand among die hards because of that as well. Mark my words... This summer they will announce the new AP/membership, if not sooner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom