Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

ToTBellHop

What I don't understand about this whole "higher paying guests will come if we limit capacity" thing is... How are they going to convey that to the people who want to come but only if it's not crowded? Disneyland and Disney World are infamous for their overcrowding and long wait times. Are they going to advertise saying they limit capacity going forward? What does that even mean? They've never announced their capacity before, and because so many people just associate large crowds and long wait times (and high prices) with Disney parks, what's going to change where they let the word out to that crowd of would be higher paying guests? Every time crowds slip they lower the pricing tier or have a locals deal to bring crowd levels back up. I think believing that Disney is embracing lower crowds is naive. They're being forced to limit capacity now and so they're spinning that inconvenient fact the best they can, but they're never going to keep attendance artificially low.
People talk. If you hear from the other moms at the PTA that crowds have come way down, you book a trip. Same thing that happens when they open new rides. I remember other PTA parents saying, “you need to see Pandora!” Of course, I already knew, bur others said, “yeah we need to take the kids!”

fctiger

Sure, but the AP crowds were turning others away. I presume they want to see how many tourists they can get and then back-fill with more controlled APs, presumably focusing on a limited number of dates at a higher price point than in the past.

I don't disagree with any of that and WHY I said in my OP I don't see APs coming back so soon. They know they need to keep capacity low and want to see if and how many tourists will return. But as I ALSO said if they don't return as they expect, then don't be surprised to see their 'membership' programmed aggressively pushed like their APs were.

Guys, Disney was the one to not only make APs, but then created a monthly payment plan for them. And then aggressively pushed it for over a decade now. I been saying for all that time, if they really wanted to get rid of the APs they could do it tomorrow! They finally did, but partly because they had no choice. They can't expect people to pay $1,000 for passes they can only use some of the time now.

the_rich

People talk. If you hear from the other moms at the PTA that crowds have come way down, you book a trip. Same thing that happens when they open new rides. I remember other PTA parents saying, “you need to see Pandora!” Of course, I already knew, bur others said, “yeah we need to take the kids!”
Exactly. My first 2 trips to CA I made sure to stay away from days alot of aps would be there

Last edited:

CaptinEO

We've had this argument a million times. Yes if they could GET enough people like that a year. Every theme park would follow this same line. They can't and they know it. Even in lower seasons WITH APs the parks still gets much lower attendance.

And the reality is the APs are coming back, they are now being called 'memberships', right? So clearly they know they need to have APs of some kind. It may be more limited or restrictive though, we'll just have to see. But trust me, the second the crowds start dipping they will find all kinds of ways to get people coming back more. They been doing it for over 30 years now.

And again, people always miss the obvious: DCA! Even if DL can get filled without APs, I don't think DCA can and that is also the issue (that people oddly miss time and time again). Look at what is happening now with the reservations. DL is getting filled up, but DCA is wide open pretty much every day, including the first. The ONLY days you can't go to DCA is the first few days AC is suppose to open. But if you can't fill that park up like DL, then naturally they have to find ways to get people going to that park as well.
That's entirely because Disney prices California Adventure the same as Disneyland. Why? I have no idea. Maybe to streamline ticket prices.

They should charge maybe 50 dollars for California Adventure and they'll be fine.

DrAlice

I would have asked for a refund and found another place to stay. That’s horrid.
The condo they moved us to was lovely and bug free. I'd stay there again. The owners of the problem condo just didn't keep up with pest management.

I was happy we were able to move. Had we moved and had the problem again, then yes, I would've been getting my money back.

DrAlice

I hear that. I mean I just paid something like $850+ for 3x 2 day park hoppers. That used to be a Signature AP with parking included not too long ago. Right now most people are willing to pay because of the pent up demand due to the last year we had. This isn’t sustainable though. They will have to bring back some sort of discount or AP program.
Yup. That's why we haven't been to the parks since 2018.

fctiger

That's entirely because Disney prices California Adventure the same as Disneyland. Why? I have no idea. Maybe to streamline ticket prices.

They should charge maybe 50 dollars for California Adventure and they'll be fine.

Again, I agree lol. But because they are DETERMINED to keep it that way, then it is what it is. And why they will continue to discount the parks. Again, it may not be like before. I don't think it needs to be. But the reality is DL is not the only park, hasn't been for 20 years now and they have to find away to sustain both all year.

Without APs, my bet is DCA would probably get the same attendance USH and KBF usually get. It's a much better park today, but not one worth over $100+. Not in my opinion. And looking at the reservation system thus far, not in a lot of people's opinion.

CaptinEO

Again, I agree lol. But because they are DETERMINED to keep it that way, then it is what it is. And why they will continue to discount the parks. Again, it may not be like before. I don't think it needs to be. But the reality is DL is not the only park, hasn't been for 20 years now and they have to find away to sustain both all year.

Without APs, my bet is DCA would probably get the same attendance USH and KBF usually get. It's a much better park today, but not one worth over $100+. Not in my opinion. And looking at the reservation system thus far, not in a lot of people's opinion.
DCA is just there to get people to add 40 bucks or so on to their disneyland ticket. If this model doesn't work (map shows this), they need to have lower cost DCA only admission.

Imagine paying 150 bucks for California Adventure?

I did 2 day parkhoppers for my trip solely to visit CA Adventure for half of one of the days. That's how much I value it. The Ghiradelli Sundaes are the best thing there.

fctiger

DCA is just there to get people to add 40 bucks or so on to their disneyland ticket. If this model doesn't work (map shows this), they need to have lower cost DCA only admission.

Imagine paying 150 bucks for California Adventure?

I did 2 day parkhoppers for my trip solely to visit CA Adventure for half of one of the days. That's how much I value it. The Ghiradelli Sundaes are the best thing there.

Again, I agree! But they are NOT going to do that. They had 20 years to do it, right? You have to pay to get into both parks the exact same price. But that's also the point, they can't rely on the one day tickets for DCA which they clearly know that. This system is making that clear as day. Multipass tickets works, but it only works when there are high volume of tourists like the summer, Spring Break and Christmas. When those peak times are gone, DCA attendance can drop like a stone.

fctiger

I hear that. I mean I just paid something like $850+ for 3x 2 day park hoppers. That used to be a Signature AP with parking included not too long ago. Right now most people are willing to pay because of the pent up demand due to the last year we had. This isn’t sustainable though. They will have to bring back some sort of discount or AP program.

Agreed. It's just not sustainable. I mean even now, the tickets are selling but nowhere close to as fast as I think a lot of people assumed (and hence why everyone jumped on it the first day). The people who are dying to go to DL and will wait up to 12 hours just to get a reservation are not the majority. And even most of those people will go maybe once or twice and then call it a day after they done it.

DL has been closed for a full year now and even at 25% capacity it's not selling out on a crazy level. Imagine what it will look like at 75% by September?

And there are still tons of people who obviously has been economically destroyed by the shut downs obviously. Many have gotten stimulus checks, etc, it doesn't mean they will all use it for vacations but probably to just pay bills. And there are still going to be many people who still afraid to travel until they are at least vaccinated. So it's going to be interesting what it looks like a few months from now but I predict after the summer, it's going to be incredibly slow.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Agreed. It's just not sustainable. I mean even now, the tickets are selling but nowhere close to as fast as I think a lot of people assumed (and hence why everyone jumped on it the first day). The people who are dying to go to DL and will wait up to 12 hours just to get a reservation are not the majority. And even most of those people will go maybe once or twice and then call it a day after they done it.

DL has been closed for a full year now and even at 25% capacity it's not selling out on a crazy level. Imagine what it will look like at 75% by September?

And there are still tons of people who obviously has been economically destroyed by the shut downs obviously. Many have gotten stimulus checks, etc, it doesn't mean they will all use it for vacations but probably to just pay bills. And there are still going to be many people who still afraid to travel until they are at least vaccinated. So it's going to be infesting what it looks like a few months from now but I predict after the summer, it's going to be incredibly slow.

I agree with almost all of this. I don’t think it’ll be incredibly slow, just slower. And Disney won’t sit there leaving money on the table for very long. I just think that it will be slower after we cycle through all the ex APs who go for their 1-2 trips/ days for the year. Eventually they will bring back some sort of AP or discount program even if their not called “annual passes” anymore. The discount program would have to be offering pretty significant discounts or incentives though to bring in the bodies/ revenue Disney wants to see.

I’m probably a typical case of what will happen. Ex DL AP’s will get APs for other parks and go to Disneyland 1-3 times a year. I got my 2 day park hoppers for May 22nd and 23rd. Going to USH on Sunday with the fam and intend on paying the extra $60 a ticket to convert them into annual passes.

Last edited:

fctiger

I agree with almost all of this. I don’t think it’ll be incredibly slow, just slower. And Disney won’t sit there leaving money on the table for very long. I just think that it will be slower after we cycle through all the ex APs who go for their 1-2 trips/ days for the year. Eventually they will bring back some sort of AP or discount program even if their not called “annual passes” anymore. The discount program would have to be offering pretty significant discounts or incentives though to bring in the bodies/ revenue Disney wants to see.

Now I will say, which I forgot, is currently only Californians are allowed to go. Once that changes, clearly it will be a lot higher. I just don't think outside of times people normally get off from work will be a huge difference other times of the year. But I do imagine at least if non-Californians were allowed to go now, then it would be selling out much faster.

But I think after the summer, no matter what, it's going to be much slower because it's ALWAYS been much slower, even with APs. I don't understand this bizarre idea they are going to get a load of high paying tourists in the fall when that's never really been the case. And if most of the locals go in the summer, very few will be returning at a high level in the Fall. Even WHEN DL had APs back in the 80s and 90s they still use to have discount tickets for locals during those times. I remember when you could get into DL for just $20 back in the 90s.

They did tons of things to get people back in the parks in the slower seasons. Maybe they will try it without APs but there will definitely be discounts of some sort once capacity gets higher, ESPECIALLY now.

mickEblu

Now I will say, which I forgot, is currently only Californians are allowed to go. Once that changes, clearly it will be a lot higher. I just don't think outside of times people normally get off from work will be a huge difference other times of the year. But I do imagine at least if non-Californians were allowed to go now, then it would be selling out much faster.

But I think after the summer, no matter what, it's going to be much slower because it's ALWAYS been much slower, even with APs. I don't understand this bizarre idea they are going to get a load of high paying tourists in the fall when that's never really been the case. And if most of the locals go in the summer, very few will be returning at a high level in the Fall. Even WHEN DL had APs back in the 80s and 90s they still use to have discount tickets for locals during those times. I remember when you could get into DL for just $20 back in the 90s.

They did tons of things to get people back in the parks in the slower seasons. Maybe they will try it without APs but there will definitely be discounts of some sort once capacity gets higher, ESPECIALLY now.

Actually in recent years Fall has been much more busy than Summer due to AP blackouts which in an ironic way still strengthens your point as it shows how much Disney has been relying on the AP program.

DrAlice

And.... now I just completed reservations for LegoLand! We will be staying at the original hotel in a Ninjago themed roomed.

Their park reservation process was fast but super confusing, involving multiple popup windows. It took me a minute to see if I actually reserved the park for the date I wanted. So, I think I did. 🤣

Aww.... A vacation on the books.... life returning to normal.... It is a good feeling.

fctiger

AP Blackouts and Galaxy Edge kill attendance

That's silly. GE was very popular once ROTR showed up (and was only around for 2 months). Clearly many people didn't want to pay full price for it until their main attraction showed up. If ROTR opened at the beginning, it would've gotten more day passes to show up for it.

waltography

New commercial for Disneyland reopening:

It's funny that most (if not all) of the footage representing Disneyland Park is actually just MK stock footage

Most if not all of the photos too - good on them for editing the right castle in, though. 😂

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.59.28 PM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom