Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

TP2000

I think its so odd that a person actively managing this role has had a year off to prepare for this, and this is the result. He was already underperforming before covid.

Even touch of disney lines didn't make him rethink the "entry experience". It has to be intentional at this point. No way are they "surprised and overwhelmed" by the amount of people showing up.

How can a park with reservations required not be adequately prepared? They literally know the exact number of people showing up each day.

It is odd. And disappointing.

I was hoping this whole reservation system would help them reinvent the entire Disneyland experience, but especially the failed and miserable entry experience as we have all known it for 15 years since the 50th brought big crowds that never left.

Too many folks are willing to excuse this sort of thing, or just resign themselves to the misery that this is what you have to put up with if you want to go to Disneyland. But it's never this bad at Knott's, or Universal Studios. Of all the mass events in SoCal, I think only the Hollywood Bowl does a worse job than Disneyland at parking and entry/exit logistics. And the Bowl is a non-profit owned by the local government! :rolleyes:

There's a suited guy in TDA who makes six figures who literally has "Guest Arrival Experience" in his executive title. And still, they can't get it to work or to behave. No wonder all the execs just valet park at the Grand Californian to avoid that mess and the idiot customers. ;)

Last edited:

TP2000

From what I've heard they still look through your bag, but you can request they change gloves and you can also request they just use their flashlight to poke around rather than handling the bag with their hands.

Tell me you are kidding!

At Knott's Boysenberry Festival last weekend you just walk right through, no prodding or prying required. It took 4 seconds at Knott's. There were no lines at Knott's. There was no backup at Knott's.

Everyone just kept smiling and telling you to keep walking on to the next stop at Knott's, then a lovely older lady staffing the turnstile gave me a map and a few tips on which places have the best food at Knott's. And I was in.

Is Disneyland really still emptying bags and prying through ladies purses assuming they are Al Qaeda operatives?

ToTBellHop

WDW can afford fancy scanners. DLR will be the stepkid for a while to make up for the year plus closure. Makes no sense from the outside, but just trust that it makes sense to the accountants.
And yet it has had more ride renovations than WDW is getting for its 50th, opening a new land in 6 weeks, and getting its own MMRR. Pretty well-loved stepkid. Meanwhile, the heir to the kingdom has to wait another 5 months for a modest rodent ride that is done.

drizgirl

And yet it has had more ride renovations than WDW is getting for its 50th, opening a new land in 6 weeks, and getting its own MMRR. Pretty well-loved stepkid. Meanwhile, the heir to the kingdom has to wait another 5 months for a modest rodent ride that is done.
Are those new since the closure?

ToTBellHop

Are those new since the closure?
MMRR is new, yes. The others are as new as the delayed Rat, TRON, Guardians, Toy Story restaurant, SSE refurb, Play pavilion, canceled Mary Poppins ride and a multitude of canceled 50th refurbishments at MK. All at the resort that reopened almost 10 months ago.

Don‘t even get me started on DLP. WDW has long been neglected, and it makes far more money (total and per capita). The company just takes it for granted.

flutas

How early does the parking garage open if there's that many people there? I thought it was 30 minutes before opening (according to the website).
Per @Darkbeer1's post yesterday, I think APD can tell Disney to open the garage early to prevent traffic issues.

Could also be "the cause." (In quotes since it's still Disney's lack of planning for it.)

el_super

How early does the parking garage open if there's that many people there? I thought it was 30 minutes before opening (according to the website).

Tues and Wed were both 8:30 for the 9:00 opening. I heard they are adjusting it today to 8:00. Tuesday and Wednesday both had traffic backed up and circling the area while waiting to get into the structure and most likely APD complained about the traffic.

el_super

Per @Darkbeer1's post yesterday, I think APD can tell Disney to open the garage early to prevent traffic issues.

Could also be "the cause." (In quotes since it's still Disney's lack of planning for it.)

That's partially true. If there are no parking CMs to man the booths, they can't just open the structure for parking. APD will usually block the entrance of the structure until they get the OK to open, but in cases where the traffic is backing up into the street or causing issues, they can open the lanes up to the toll booths and stage cars to wait on Disney property.

But technically the structure is still closed and they have to wait until the booths open in order to park.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
As of right now dl smugglers run is only one group in the cockpit. If it's still the same come June, then you'll be alone
giphy.gif

Stevek

Tues and Wed were both 8:30 for the 9:00 opening. I heard they are adjusting it today to 8:00. Tuesday and Wednesday both had traffic backed up and circling the area while waiting to get into the structure and most likely APD complained about the traffic.
They should really be opening at 7:30 if they can't manage the flow, especially if people need to be in the park before 9 for ROTR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom