News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

TP2000

Hi-ho, gang! What better way to spend a warm August evening on the patio in La Jolla enjoying a cold cocktail than to update the latest Covid Vaccine data from SoCal and the other state with a Disneyland in it? 🤣 🍸

For those keeping score at home, we'll use the excellent data from LA County and it's over 10 Million inhabitants as the point of reference as they just updated their data this afternoon...

Covid Vaccinations as of 8/12/21 for Los Angeles County - Population 10.1 Million

63% LA County Fully Vaccinated
78% Asians Fully Vaccinated
68% Whites Fully Vaccinated
67% American Indians Fully Vaccinated
57% Latinos Fully Vaccinated
48% Blacks Fully Vaccinated

Wealthy LA zip codes along the coast and up in the hills continue to be highly vaccinated, often over 95% vaccinated. Poorer, working class zip codes in the unfashionable inland areas continue to be far less vaccinated, often 55% or less vaccinated.

Here's the stats on California and Florida on vaccinations and Covid deaths, as of August 11th:

#17 California = 54% Fully Vaccinated
#23 Florida = 50% Fully Vaccinated

#26 Florida = 1,870 Deaths Per 1 Million
#33 California = 1,633 Deaths Per 1 Million

Also, here we are on another Thursday evening and Orange County and San Diego County have made no move towards a mask mandate. Governor Newsom won't mention another statewide mask mandate. LA County is alone in SoCal with their mask mandate.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Well folks, this is my last post for week. I'm flying out tomorrow for SoCal and then spending Saturday through next Friday at the resort. Our first trip in 18 months. Excited to see firsthand how the updates, changes and COVID policies are changing our lives.

Wish us luck.
Have a good time. post a trip report when you get back. Interested in your thoughts. you are one of the few level headed people here so curious how you rate your experience after your trip. Have a Mickey Bar for me will ya?

TP2000

Well folks, this is my last post for week. I'm flying out tomorrow for SoCal and then spending Saturday through next Friday at the resort. Our first trip in 18 months. Excited to see firsthand how the updates, changes and COVID policies are changing our lives.

Wish us luck.

Have fun! Enjoy life! Take pictures! :D

(This summer I've been sorting through shoeboxes of family photos left here in the old family beach house over the decades. I can't stress enough how important it is to take pictures of your family, especially on vacations! This post not paid for by Eastman Kodak.)

The Mom

Premium Member
Stop making sense. Rational thought is not at all fashionable in 2021. You must assume you are going to drop dead tomorrow because you are vaccinated. ;)

I'm an old guy. I haven't been asked to wear a mask anywhere this summer in San Diego County. La Jolla is 100% mask free. We wander around like drunken sailors, depending on solid science and hard facts to protect us. Because La Jolla is slightly right of center, we don't have to Virtue Signal to anyone about how we are an Official Good Person by wearing a mask into a hair salon or boutique or bistro. We just... follow the science.

The vaccines work. Are you vaccinated? If so, you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy!
You will be unlikely to die, and have less - but not zero - chance of being hospitalized. Right now, in my hot spot, about 20% of hospital patients have been fully vaccinated. There are even more who are sick at home, just feeling miserable and hoping that they will not get sick enough to have to be hospitalized. My son is one of them.

Stevek

Wish us luck.
Have a great time!

Stevek

You will be unlikely to die, and have less - but not zero - chance of being hospitalized. Right now, in my hot spot, about 20% of hospital patients have been fully vaccinated. There are even more who are sick at home, just feeling miserable and hoping that they will not get sick enough to have to be hospitalized. My son is one of them.
Yep, exactly what my wife went through this week...just felt really sick for a couple of days and we prayed she didn't have to go to hospital. Thankfully better now. Hope your son gets better quickly.

Anjin

koenigcovid.jpg

Last edited:

el_super

They are still working with the labor unions to require vaccination amongst hourly Cast Members. Obviously there is a financial benefit to Disney is requiring vaccinations, since having Cast Members out sick/quarantine will eventually catch up to them and force shorter operating hours or reduced ride/capacity or availability.

I assume this situation will get worse with the schools reopening. The benefit to Disney is that this is normally a really slow time of year anyway... at least until the 25th.

SoCalDisneyLover

I've gotten used to the fact that these parks will NEVER close down again, and are looking for any way possible to limit restrictions such as mask wearing, lower capacity or social distancing. Fine.

But they're smart enough to realize that publicizing stuff like this, would only serve to scare people, and perhaps result in less people visiting the parks. Now if they actually cared enough to let people decide on their own, they would be forthcoming, rather than try and hide the reality of the situation. But they don't. They care about profits over people.

SplashGhost

With the news about this outbreak at Disneyland, it definitely makes sense why the US Disney Parks are the only US parks to require masks outside parks located in areas with local mandates. It is all about damage control and trying to prevent headlines about a COVID outbreak being linked to a Disney park.

SoCalDisneyLover

With the news about this outbreak at Disneyland, it definitely makes sense why the US Disney Parks are the only US parks to require masks outside parks located in areas with local mandates. It is all about damage control and trying to prevent headlines about a COVID outbreak being linked to a Disney park.
It was never likely that an outbreak could be traced to a Disney park, and Disney knows that very well.

People come from out of town, spread the virus around, and then go back to where they came from. There Is NO WAY To Prove where someone might have contracted the virus. Good luck being able to pinpoint or contact trace a Covid case, to a single encounter at Disneyland. Disney might say...."You could have caught it at the hotel. Or the airport. Or the restaurant you ate at outside the park.

When all those bikers go home from Sturgis this weekend, they'll leave behind some residents with Covid. But for the most part, they'll take the virus back to where they came from. That might be easier to link an outbreak to Sturgis, but it won't be an isolated outbreak. It will be mini outbreaks all over the country, since that's where people will travel from.

el_super

Prevent headlines? Wouldn't the simpler answer be, that they need to keep their Cast Members healthy in order to keep them showing up to work and thus keeping the park open? That seems like it would be a more primary concern for them. At this point everyone should realize that the parks are an extreme and unnecessary risk toward exposure during a pandemic, so even if there wasn't an "announced" outbreak, it's pretty safe to assume lots of people are being exposed at the parks.

I don't see how that would really be a headline anywhere.

SplashGhost

It was never likely that an outbreak could be traced to a Disney park, and Disney knows that very well.

People come from out of town, spread the virus around, and then go back to where they came from. There Is NO WAY To Prove where someone might have contracted the virus. Good luck being able to pinpoint or contact trace a Covid case, to a single encounter at Disneyland. Disney might say...."You could have caught it at the hotel. Or the airport. Or the restaurant you ate at outside the park.

When all those bikers go home from Sturgis this weekend, they'll leave behind some residents with Covid. But for the most part, they'll take the virus back to where they came from. That might be easier to link an outbreak to Sturgis, but it won't be an isolated outbreak. It will be mini outbreaks all over the country, since that's where people will travel from.

I know there is no way to prove that the outbreak originated at Disneyland, but Disney doesn't want people spreading the news that Disneyland is a COVID hotspot since it would deter people from visiting.

Prevent headlines? Wouldn't the simpler answer be, that they need to keep their Cast Members healthy in order to keep them showing up to work and thus keeping the park open? That seems like it would be a more primary concern for them. At this point everyone should realize that the parks are an extreme and unnecessary risk toward exposure during a pandemic, so even if there wasn't an "announced" outbreak, it's pretty safe to assume lots of people are being exposed at the parks.

I don't see how that would really be a headline anywhere.

While Disney wants to make sure that the parks are well staffed enough to stay open, they don't want the public to read news that will make them afraid of visiting the parks. Sensationalistic news spread fast through the internet, and if the mainstream media starts talking about how rampant COVID is across Disneyland employees, less people will want to go.

el_super

While Disney wants to make sure that the parks are well staffed enough to stay open, they don't want the public to read news that will make them afraid of visiting the parks. Sensationalistic news spread fast through the internet, and if the mainstream media starts talking about how rampant COVID is across Disneyland employees, less people will want to go.

Mostly I agree, and I think I understand your point. I just think ALL the news right now would be deterring people from going to Disneyland, and if there was an outbreak amongst CMs, it wouldn't deter the people who are already going. So the impact of the headlines would be far more negligible than having rides shut down for weeks, or having park hours adjusted down... which in some weird way, would have a more negative impact on the people going, than the potential exposure would.

Wendy Pleakley

COVID is everywhere. I don't think anyone would be surprised that visiting a crowded theme park poses a degree of risk.

People are either okay with that risk, or they aren't. The fact there are COVID cases amongst staff there is expected.

It's bad publicity, because things that happen at Disneyland get attention, even if they're the same things happening everywhere. For me, this would have zero impact on any decision to visit.

SoCalDisneyLover

I haven't been to Knott's on my season pass for about a month now. I knew the outbreak was coming, and now that it's here, I'm not surprised in the least. The fact Knott's doesn't even have an indoor mask requirement like Disney, makes me even more worried.

But I want to experience Summer Nights, so I'm thinking of going late in the day tomorrow, so I can enjoy some music, and use my meal plan. I'll stay away from crowded areas and indoors as much as possible.

CaptinEO

I haven't been to Knott's on my season pass for about a month now. I knew the outbreak was coming, and now that it's here, I'm not surprised in the least. The fact Knott's doesn't even have an indoor mask requirement like Disney, makes me even more worried.

But I want to experience Summer Nights, so I'm thinking of going late in the day tomorrow, so I can enjoy some music, and use my meal plan. I'll stay away from crowded areas and indoors as much as possible.
If you dont go at all your chance of infection is zero.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom