News Disneyland Magic Key Program

el_super

But everyone agrees the old program needed to be change. So they changed it, right? And nothing radical and something EVERYONE has been doing at Disney parks since WDW opened last July. So it should not be a shock to anyone.

We don't know how radical of a change this is. This reinvention was intentionally designed to feel like the old program to help people transition and keep hurt feelings at a minimum. Disneyland doesn't need an Annual Pass program, but it absolutely needs to have their Annual Passholder fanbase.

We still don't know how widely the new passes will be available or if they will just sell out on 8/25. And past that, we don't know how widely the reservations will be a available.

BrianLo

Lower tier keys (God that’s going to take getting used to) can book 90 days out too?

Yes, but the key part about this, is that the lowest tier only has two days. So you can certainly prioritize two days on day 89/90, but you won't be going to the parks otherwise in the next three months.

I'd imagine as a result, reservations won't be an issue whatsoever if one can plan 1 or 2 weeks out.

fctiger

We dont know how radical of a change this is. This reinvention was intentionally designed to feel like the old program to help people transition and keep hirt feelings at a minimum. Disneyland doesn't need an Annual Pass program, but it absolutely needs to have their Annual Passholder fanbase.

We still don't know how widely the new passes will be available or if they will just sell out on 8/25. And past that, we don't know how widely the reservations will be a available.

Well clearly it's not a reward system. ;)

DL absolutely needs an AP program....hence why they bought the AP program back.

But yes we don't know HOW available the passes will be. Everyone keeps saying this. My GUESS is if its like WDW, Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong, then they will figure out a decent balance as they have ALL had the same system for a year now with their APers and few complaints about it today. And Tokyo has JUST as many APers as DLR did. And capacity has been lower there for months since they are still under state of emergency.

Again, it's always odd how people act DL is the only park on the planet.

DrAlice

In what situation would the enchant key be a value to anyone? Unless you live within walking distance to DL.
An out-of-towner that takes 2, 4-day Disney trips per year (or some other combination). I think it's probably cheaper than 2, 4-day park hoppers. I know a family that had APs because they did long trips (4-5 days) once a year and then another random trip (or two) during the rest of the year. The AP was cheaper than multi-day tickets. They stayed at a local hotel and walked, so parking didn't matter.

EDIT: It's cheaper than two 3 day park-hoppers. I could go twice a year if I wanted to spend that much money at the mouse (I don't - haha).

el_super

Well they can still do that, they just have to reserve the day before they go.

That's fundamentally not the same. If I decide at 4pm on a Thursday that I want dinner at Plaza Inn, the odds that I could book a same-day visit, halfway through the day is slim to none.

Do I want to go tomorrow? Probably not.

el_super

DL absolutely needs an AP program....hence why they bought the AP program back.

It's not really the sam mme program though.

But yes we don't know HOW available the passes will be. Everyone keeps saying this. My GUESS is if its like WDW, Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong, then they will figure out a decent balance as they have ALL had the same system for a year now with their APers and few complaints about it today.

None of these parks have hit the same attendance as Disneyland in 2019. If they aim to make it similar to SHDR, then 50% of AP visits will be eliminated. HKDL: 75%. In either scenario AP visits are reduced and fewer AP holders are allowed in.

Stevek

Tom Bricker does a very nice overview of the new program, his commentary very much in line with my POV.

fctiger

That's fundamentally not the same. If I decide at 4pm on a Thursday that I want dinner at Plaza Inn, the odds that I could book a same-day visit, halfway through the day is slim to none.

Do I want to go tomorrow? Probably not.

As I literally said in the same post you quoted, eventually people will adapt and find a rhythm. Sure they can't just decide to on Thursday to eat at DL. But plenty of people will still just make reservations ahead of time on a regular basis if they usually go to DL on a Thursday. That's what I'm saying. Yes at the beginning people will have to change their ways but they will still find ways to make it work for them.

For example if you are the type that generally likes to go on a Friday night and have the top tier pass that gives you 6 reservations in 90 days, well then you can just book the next 6 Fridays in case you MIGHT want to go. And the passes are on a rolling basis like PH, so when one day is used you can book the next one.

Look, I'm not trying to 'one-up' anyone here, I'm just stating the obvious, and that is Disney fans always find a way! They will have to change their behavior but it doesn't mean they have to change it completely either. They just have to work a little more.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Disney is missing a synergy trick by not having a Low Key tier.

Tom Hiddleston Thor GIF by Marvel Studios
1628044976233.png

:D

Parteecia

So will the reservations be equally open to all levels or will there be unblocked days when a Dream sees availability and an Imagine does not?

fctiger

What I don't understand is why are they calling it a 'membership' program???

You're literally just paying for it annually like the old passes as it only goes through the year. And if you are doing the monthly payment program, you're just paying that in 12 month blocks as well. So how does that make it a 'membership'? I assumed whatever it was going to be, there would be no end date to it per se. But it will just expire after a year and you then renew. So why is it renamed to 'membership'? Do people get something more that I'm missing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom