News Disneyland Magic Key Program

Tamandua

What I don't understand is why are they calling it a 'membership' program???

You're literally just paying for it annually like the old passes as it only goes through the year. And if you are doing the monthly payment program, you're just paying that in 12 month blocks as well. So how does that make it a 'membership'? I assumed whatever it was going to be, there would be no end date to it per se. But it will just expire after a year and you then renew. So why is it renamed to 'membership'? Do people get something more that I'm missing?
They just can't call it an annual pass because then people would feel mad that their annual passes were canceled just so that could buy them back for more money with less benefits.

fctiger

They just can't call it an annual pass because then people would feel mad that their annual passes were canceled just so that could buy them back for more money with less benefits.

LOL, I guess that must be it. The Disney-speak is always funny though.

Disney: "Now that we sunsetted the old annual pass, we want you to feel more special. It wasn't exclusive enough. You're now part of a special membership!"

"OK, what's the difference?"

Disney: "Well, before you were passholders, but now you are membership holders."

"So do we get extra perks with that?"

Disney: "No. A bit less than before in fact."

"OK, but how is it a membership?"

"Simple, you pay us a fee and in exchange you get access to the parks for the year. Depending on which membership you choose, the more you pay, the more days you get access to the park. The highest tier, you get unlimited access which makes you an exclusive member for that year."

"You mean annually....which gives you use of a pass to enter depending on the tier you pay for? Just like before?"

Disney: "Mmm-hmm"

"Is there a limit to who can be part of the membership?"

Disney: "No, anyone can join of course...as long as they pay for it."

"Yearly?"

Disney: "That's right."

"Do we get more access to the park?"

Disney: "No, kind of less in fact since you have to make reservations now. But you can still go all year long."

"One more time, how is that anyway different when it was called an annual pass?"

Disney: "We're calling it a membership now."

"Ah"

Last edited:

cmwade77

Umm,.actually it is slightly cheaper, especially for the highest level.

CaptinEO

I hear you. I'm not getting on your case about it. No one's case. But I just find it funny. Look at the ORIGINAL AP thread when Disney first announced they were 'sunsetting' the program. People theorized it only meant they just wanted to turn it into a full time flex pass system, which most people understood why. And then you had people, 'Nooooo, no, no, no, no, NO! That is not happening. The program is dead. Dead, dead, dead!!!!' In other words the flex pass system clearly wasn't going far enough. Well clearly Disney think that was far enough thankfully because it could've been way worse.

But everyone agrees the old program needed to be change. So they changed it, right? And nothing radical and something EVERYONE has been doing at Disney parks since WDW opened last July. So it should not be a shock to anyone. And btw, along with WDW, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo ALL have the exact same system. They all have reservation systems and APs are very much a part of that. So, this stuff drives me insane lol.

This park does not live in a vacuum. We've had 5 other parks for literally a year now doing this very thing. No one should be shocked. No one should be angry about it, especially since the anit-Apers could've gotten their way and Disney could've REALLY changed it to the point its not recognizable. And outside of WDW in the early months last year, I've heard zero complaints about it from APers in the other parks about getting reservations, at least on a serious level.

But yes you could be right, maybe its NOT going to be as easy..........hence why I said to wait a few months and see first, right? All we can do on that end.

But same time, if this is the only thing that is really bothering people, then thats a HUGE success. I mean I expected to be near riots if it went a totally different way. ;)
I have every right to not like reservations. Don't tell me I can't complain about it. I like just being able to show up. I'd go maybe once a month at most. I don't always know my plans 3 months in advance.

Multiple people here don't like the idea of reservations, it's a completely valid complaint. If it's only because of covid, I get it, hopefully we can get some normalcy when the pandemic ends.

Disney should sell me the option to not make reservations.

fctiger

I have every right to not like reservations. Don't tell me I can't complain about it. I like just being able to show up. I'd go maybe once a month at most. I don't always know my plans 3 months in advance.

Multiple people here don't like the idea of reservations, it's a completely valid complaint.

And you have the choice not to get the pass or any ticket to enter. But you can't really blame them, right?

fctiger

Yep completely true. It's no big deal. I have a lot going on this year so an AP isn't really high on my priority list. I am hoping to visit Universal at somepoint and SeaWorld as well.

For the record I'm not saying people should be happy about it lol, but they can't be surprised either, that's all. Did people SERIOUSLY think APs were going to be able to go whenever they want when Disney is literally trying to control attendance? And the main reason they got rid of the original AP program because they couldn't do that and was a major culprit to their attendance problem. So yeah.

But if you don't like it understandable. But we are living interesting times as they say. ;)

Edit: And weren't you the SAME GUY who wanted the APs to completely end because you said it made the parks overcrowded???? Am I confusing you with someone else?? So now you're upset that the passes you wanted to completely end a few months because you got sick of people showing up every week? But now you're upset because you don't have the ability to do that anymore?

This is why I try and stay off message boards, for my sanity! 🤣

Last edited:

Rich T

After 60 years of being a mega-fan, I really am done for now with the Disney parks. The thing they’re becoming is a thing I’m not interested in. They’ve been mutating for quite a while, I know, but... nah, I loved Disneyland in its sub-$90 admission days, but Bobsyland is a place where greed taints everything, spontaneity is dead, and creativity is limited to how many ways they can further drain all meaning from the words “magic,” “enchant,” “dream,” “imagine” and “believe.”

Eeeew, Bobs. Eew. And good luck, Disneyland. I’ll always love what you were. I hope someday you’re again run by people with souls.

Californian Elitist

After 60 years of being a mega-fan, I really am done for now with the Disney parks. The thing they’re becoming is a thing I’m not interested in. They’ve been mutating for quite a while, I know, but... nah, I loved Disneyland in its sub-$90 admission days, but Bobsyland is a place where greed taints everything, spontaneity is dead, and creativity is limited to how many ways they can further drain all meaning from the words “magic,” “enchant,” “dream,” “imagine” and “believe.”

Eeeew, Bobs. Eew. And good luck, Disneyland. I’ll always love what you were. I hope someday you’re again run by people with souls.
I'm very much sick and tired of seeing and hearing those same terms over and over again.

I'm pretty much done, too. I'm still interested in discussing what's going on with the parks, but my visits are indefinitely over.

Rich T

...people will adapt and find a rhythm.
...Disney fans always find a way! They will have to change their behavior but it doesn't mean they have to change it completely either. They just have to work a little more.
*THWACK!!!*
“Thank you, Mickey, may I have another?”
*THWACK!!!*
“Thank you, Mickey, may I have another?”

Tamandua

I haven't been to Disneyland since April, but that first day back didn't really even feel like Disneyland to me. Disneyland used to always have this feeling before like there was always a lot left to discover no matter how often you've been there. There were always shows, or entertainment, stores, restaurants, character interactions, and various little details and embellishments to be mined, and they were always adding and changing things. But the last time I went it literally just felt like a list of attractions. No entertainment. Many stores and restaurants closed. It just didn't feel... Alive. I know they've made some progress since then, but I wonder if Disneyland will ever feel like that again... Like there's something new around every corner instead of just a line for the nearest E-ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom