News Disneyland Magic Key Program

SarahWI

Any concrete details on booking windows? I’ve seen 90 days quoted but can’t find it in writing on DL website. We are staying at Grand Cali in January and if we get hoppers can book at 120 days out. We want to get the keys but not if we lose the booking advantage.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No you're right. It could definitely change the dynamics fast. But AS usual it's always a lot of gloom and doom here lol. If people are really that afraid the reservations are going to be snatched up every day beginning at 1 a.m. then yeah the best thing to do is just wait a few months and see how it goes.

That's sort of my stance for the last 20 years lol. It's never failed me yet. ;)
True its a lot of doom and gloom, as is the norm for around here. But while you have that "I have to plan anyways so Rezzy don't bother me" stance, this is a gut check for a large section of the former AP community. I mean I get it, this is not that bad especially for someone like me who comes from NorCal. But compared to the former program that some locals have only ever known, its going to take some time to get used to.

Plus not to mention we could be looking at a new problem of lack of reservations for "Keys".

fctiger

True its a lot of doom and gloom, as is the norm for around here. But while you have that "I have to plan anyways so Rezzy don't bother me" stance, this is a gut check for a large section of the former AP community. I mean I get it, this is not that bad especially for someone like me who comes from NorCal. But compared to the former program that some locals have only ever known, its going to take some time to get used to.

Plus not to mention we could be looking at a new problem of lack of reservations for "Keys".

Again I agree. But wasn't that literally the point of retiring the old program? To try and keep capacity in check?

So what do people expect lol. If you're complaining APs made the parks too busy, a very large part of that was just having them show up whenever they wanted to. And they can still show up relatively when they want, they just have to plan just a little. I plan just to go to the mall lol. I rarely wake up not knowing what I'm going to do that day but I'm not 20 years old anymore either.

Disney is really, really, really trying to satisfy everyone while trying to keep attendance down. It's just funny to me. Some people are saying 'APs makes the parks too crowded' but then the SAME people are saying 'it's not fair APs have to make reservations'. You can't have both, right?

But they knew, clearly knew, they could not totally redesign the AP without a lot of angry people, so they gave them back the same program with just a reservation system. I mean you take that one thing away, its literally the same AP system as before., right? That's the ONLY true change when its all said and done. And that's a change the ENTIRE park is doing, not just one group of passholders. No one is being treated differently, which is the other great thing about this. So yeah.

el_super

Any concrete details on booking windows? I’ve seen 90 days quoted but can’t find it in writing on DL website. We are staying at Grand Cali in January and if we get hoppers can book at 120 days out. We want to get the keys but not if we lose the booking advantage.

You might be better off buying the hoppers, making the reservation and upgrading once you arrive. I am not at all sure how the upgrades will ultimately work, but in the past they would let you apply the value of the hoppers to upgrading to APs. I doubt they would cancel your exosting reservation when you do this though. Best to ask Disney directly, maybe a couple weeks after the release of the keys ... To make sure things settle down.

SarahWI

You might be better off buying the hoppers, making the reservation and upgrading once you arrive. I am not at all sure how the upgrades will ultimately work, but in the past they would let you apply the value of the hoppers to upgrading to APs. I doubt they would cancel your exosting reservation when you do this though. Best to ask Disney directly, maybe a couple weeks after the release of the keys ... To make sure things settle down.
That’s where we are leaning now - we can book ressies early September which will be too early I think to get real life data on Key availability

el_super

And they can still show up relatively when they want, they just have to plan just a little.

It's not really the same. Some people would go after school/after work if their mood was right. In this scenario those people are out of luck, unless there is a lot of availability day-of. If there is a lot of availability though, this whole change is pointless.

I don't think there will be any day of availability.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
$25

Although I FORGOT the second tier pass is 50% off which is a pretty good deal. Assuming the price stays the same it's only $12.50. Still I think they should just have a parking pass.
So, (calculating), if you are on the second highest tier [Believe], you're paying the price of the highest tier [Dream] if you go 36 times (3 times a month) due to parking.

$949 + ($12.50 x 36) = $1,399.​

If you are on the third highest tier [Enchant], you're paying the price of the second highest tier [Believe] if you go 12 times (1 time a month) due to parking.

$649 + ($25 x 12) = $949.​
However, if you buy Believe and go 12 times, then that adds (12 x 12.50 = $150). So, the break even point of switching from Enchant to Believe is 18 visits (1.5 times a month.​

If you are the third highest tier [Enchant], you're paying the price of the highest tier [Dream] if you go 30 times (2.5 times a month) due to parking.

S649 + (30 x 25) = $1,399​

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Again I agree. But wasn't that literally the point of retiring the old program? To try and keep capacity in check?

So what do people expect lol. If you're complaining APs made the parks too busy, a very large part of that was just having them show up whenever they wanted to. And they can still show up relatively when they want, they just have to plan just a little. I plan just to go to the mall lol. I rarely wake up not knowing what I'm going to do that day but I'm not 20 years old anymore either.

Disney is really, really, really trying to satisfy everyone while trying to keep attendance down. It's just funny to me. Some people are saying 'APs makes the parks too crowded' but then the SAME people are saying 'it's not fair APs have to make reservations'. You can't have both, right?

But they knew, clearly knew, they could not totally redesign the AP without a lot of angry people, so they gave them back the same program with just a reservation system. I mean you take that one thing away, its literally the same AP system as before., right? That's the ONLY true change when its all said and done. And that's a change the ENTIRE park is doing, not just one group of passholders. No one is being treated differently, which is the other great thing about this. So yeah.
I get what you're saying, and to a point I agree with you. Obviously it had to change, we ALL thought it had to. Its obviously not what I posted it could potentially be, but I was just thinking out loud with that stuff. But I don't agree its the same program minus the reservations as the former AP program just because it has some of the same benefits. I just don't think you are taking the potential issue of "Key" reservations all that seriously because of current availability. Let's circle back to this in a couple months, if reservations for "Keys" are plentiful then we'll know it wasn't that big of a deal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Isn't the whole point of an AP program so that you don't have to worry about things like "reservations"?
Uhh... no. Because there were no reservations for anyone in the past for the parks. Anyone who bought any type of ticket didn't have to worry about reserving a spot in the park itself. Now, everyone does, including "APs".

Anyone with any type of ticket showing up any time they want was one of the problems of the old system (and Disney parks' popularity) that you'd have too many people showing up on the same day.

Besides, even if you were AP, you still had to reserve ADRs, and whatever version of Maxpass/FP that DL had. Also, there were levels of AP that had black out dates and couldn't go whenever they wanted.

chimchimcheree

Am I the only one who...doesn't hate this? I mean, having to pay more for reduced-rate/free parking is a bummer, but tbh I was expecting this to be a lot worse. I know some people see it as a pain, but the reservation system should stick around.

SSG

LOL

Fake Theme Park @FakeThemePark:

We heard you! We've added a 5th tier to our new Magic Lock ™ program!
364 block-out dates
No parking
Park reservations required 2 years in advance
Ride reservations required 3 years in advance
10% upcharge on food
Punch in the face from Princess Rainbow

fctiger

I get what you're saying, and to a point I agree with you. Obviously it had to change, we ALL thought it had to. Its obviously not what I posted it could potentially be, but I was just thinking out loud with that stuff. But I don't agree its the same program minus the reservations as the former AP program just because it has some of the same benefits. I just don't think you are taking the potential issue of "Key" reservations all that seriously because of current availability. Let's circle back to this in a couple months, if reservations for "Keys" are plentiful then we'll know it wasn't that big of a deal.

I hear you. I'm not getting on your case about it. No one's case. But I just find it funny. Look at the ORIGINAL AP thread when Disney first announced they were 'sunsetting' the program. People theorized it only meant they just wanted to turn it into a full time flex pass system, which most people understood why. And then you had people, 'Nooooo, no, no, no, no, NO! That is not happening. The program is dead. Dead, dead, dead!!!!' In other words the flex pass system clearly wasn't going far enough. Well clearly Disney think that was far enough thankfully because it could've been way worse.

But everyone agrees the old program needed to be change. So they changed it, right? And nothing radical and something EVERYONE has been doing at Disney parks since WDW opened last July. So it should not be a shock to anyone. And btw, along with WDW, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo ALL have the exact same system. They all have reservation systems and APs are very much a part of that. So, this stuff drives me insane lol.

This park does not live in a vacuum. We've had 5 other parks for literally a year now doing this very thing. No one should be shocked. No one should be angry about it, especially since the anit-Apers could've gotten their way and Disney could've REALLY changed it to the point its not recognizable. And outside of WDW in the early months last year, I've heard zero complaints about it from APers in the other parks about getting reservations, at least on a serious level.

But yes you could be right, maybe its NOT going to be as easy..........hence why I said to wait a few months and see first, right? All we can do on that end.

But same time, if this is the only thing that is really bothering people, then thats a HUGE success. I mean I expected to be near riots if it went a totally different way. ;)

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

Uhh... no. Because there were no reservations for anyone in the past for the parks. Anyone who bought any type of ticket didn't have to worry about reserving a spot in the park itself. Now, everyone does, including "APs".

Anyone with any type of ticket showing up any time they want was one of the problems of the old system (and Disney parks' popularity) that you'd have too many people showing up on the same day.

Besides, even if you were AP, you still had to reserve ADRs, and whatever version of Maxpass/FP that DL had. Also, there were levels of AP that had black out dates and couldn't go whenever they wanted.
Just seems ridiculous to pay so much and still be subject to the limitations of reservations on non-blackout days. More and more we're moving to a future with no guest agency at the expense of highly optimized corporate logistics and control.

Stevek

It's not really the same. Some people would go after school/after work if their mood was right. In this scenario those people are out of luck, unless there is a lot of availability day-of. If there is a lot of availability though, this whole change is pointless.

Which is kinda what Disney wants. Cater to the people that are spending a full day vs those coming in for a couple hours and crowding the park.

Californian Elitist

Am I the only one who...doesn't hate this? I mean, having to pay more for reduced-rate/free parking is a bummer, but tbh I was expecting this to be a lot worse. I know some people see it as a pain, but the reservation system should stick around.
I don’t think any of us have expressed hatred towards what’s being offered. Pricing is pretty good and it gives people the opportunity to visit multiples times throughout the year for one price.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
So, (calculating), if you are on the second highest tier [Believe], you're paying the price of the highest tier [Dream] if you go 36 times (3 times a month) due to parking.

$949 + ($12.50 x 36) = $1,399.​

If you are on the third highest tier [Enchant], you're paying the price of the second highest tier [Believe] if you go 12 times (1 time a month) due to parking.

$649 + ($25 x 12) = $949.​
However, if you buy Believe and go 12 times, then that adds (12 x 12.50 = $150). So, the break even point of switching from Enchant to Believe is 18 visits (1.5 times a month.​

If you are the third highest tier [Enchant], you're paying the price of the highest tier [Dream] if you go 30 times (2.5 times a month) due to parking.

S649 + (30 x 25) = $1,399​
In what situation would the enchant key be a value to anyone? Unless you live within walking distance to DL.

Last edited:

fctiger

Well they can still do that, they just have to reserve the day before they go. I mean if you were already going on a Friday night in the past, you can STILL show up Friday night now. Only difference is you reserve it a few days ahead. After awhile, people will get a system down once people figure out the rhythm.

But same time, it will cut down on more people just showing up to do it, which is literally why it's the best of both worlds. You can still go to the park AS MUCH AS YOU DID BEFORE. You simply can't do it spur the moment. That's really the only big change. And I have to repeat this, my guess is the overwhelming AP holders never do that since the majority probably live too far out or is too busy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom