News Disneyland Magic Key Program

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

1627966087377.png

Wendy Pleakley

Galaxy's Edge opened and no one came. The word was out. Disneyland is a locals hangout.

Any business is going to use discounts to appeal to locals. However, Disney seemed to push it to a point where non-local people were getting hesitant to drop thousands of dollars on a vacation, only to find packed parks on a Tuesday in January. Weekends were insane. Evenings were insane.

I truly hope Disney creates a system where everyone can get value for their dollar when they visit. Discounts for frequent visitors? Sure. But get rid of the unlimited pass system where people pop in for an evening or go every single weekend.

Annual passes were a monster that got out of hand and I hope they come to a good compromise.

mickEblu

I just watched Five Fires stream talking about the program coming out tomorrow.

If you were expecting it to be horrible, get ready. It's FAR worse.

The most expensive pass with all the a la carte extras, will cost around $3,000.

Passes will offer 12, 24, 36, 48 visits over the year. They may be further allocated by month. Meaning each month during year, you have a certain # of visits, and if you don't use any of them, they don't roll over to the next month.

Possibility that Park Hopping will be an a la carte item of it's own.

No payment plans.

Someone in the stream gave him some of this inside information, and Mondo said a lot of it matched up with what he had heard.

That probably puts the cheapest pass around $700

mickEblu

You're gonna have a hard time stopping vloggers from coming to the parks - for those that have made it a part-time/full-time job, they'll pay whatever it takes to keep their content going.

I'll believe this when I see it, but man am I ready for the dumpster fire tomorrow. I've got my lawn chair ready and everything.

How much is someone making off YouTube when they re averaging 5k views a video? Are they even covering the cost of the tickets?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

LEGACY PASSHOLDERS TOMORROW:

"Does the Magic Key include parking?"

"Does the Magic Key include maxpass?"

"Does Magic Key have unlimited park access whenever I want?"

1627966821813.png

Last edited:

Stevek

I just watched Five Fires stream talking about the program coming out tomorrow.

If you were expecting it to be horrible, get ready. It's FAR worse.

The most expensive pass with all the a la carte extras, will cost around $3,000.

Passes will offer 12, 24, 36, 48 visits over the year. They may be further allocated by month. Meaning each month during year, you have a certain # of visits, and if you don't use any of them, they don't roll over to the next month.

Possibility that Park Hopping will be an a la carte item of it's own.

No payment plans.

Someone in the stream gave him some of this inside information, and Mondo said a lot of it matched up with what he had heard.
If this is how it plays out, it's not necessarily a bad strategy for Disney. They've had a ton of history with price increases, polled plenty of former APs, have far smarter financial wizards than any of us working on this project and they won't go into this lightly.

They know that there is a certain subset of people that will pay any price to come to Disneyland...price increases on both day tickets and APs with zero decrease in attendance has proven that out. Those people that are willing to pay the most will deservedly receive the best perks in this new program.

Disney also knows that there are many, many former APs that will figure out how to make one of the plans work because they still need their regular Disney fix...it will just be a lot less regular than before and more expensive overall but they know those folks will whine all the way to the ticket booth (or app) and will adjust to the new normal. Disney is likely very confident there will be enough people that fall into these lower tiers, willing to pay more than before for less visits.

And lastly, Disney knows that removal of the monthly payment plan will weed out quite a few people. Families with multiple kids will be hard pressed to pony upfront $3K for the family vs paying $250/month for those same 4 family members.

This is likely going to land with a thud if it plays out like this. Disney will be crucified by many fans saying they have priced out the average family/person from getting APs. Newsflash, Disney doesn't owe anyone an affordable AP. What Disney owes guests is an enjoyable experience in the park and that had pretty much gone out the window with several years of unmanageable crowds. As I said before, folks will get over it, they'll come back but Disney can now have a much greater control over the overall guest experience than before. They absolutely needed to wipe the slate clean and reset. Tomorrow will be a meltdown but I actually applaud Disney for taking this step and making it so people like me that will go 2x a year, will have a much better experience than the last couple years of visits that made me finally throw my hands up and say enough.

Stevek

This is fantastic. People don’t need to go to the parks more than 48 days a year under a discounted package. It’s not an adult day care.

If need be, they can pay full price individual day tickets for anything above 48.

If true, BRAVO Disney! You will slowly make your California park even more on an international tourist destination instead of a locals social club.
Exactly...nobody ever "needs" to go to disneyland 48 a times a year...until the habit convinces them that the "need" to be at Disneyland every week. Disney just created a monster that allowed it and it snowballed to where 48 times a year could be mild for some folks. Ultimately, folks became so used to going that it became their norm, their hangout.

Last edited:

SoCalDisneyLover

Well, Disney knows what they're doing, I'm sure. And it sounds like there are people here who think the changes are a good idea.

But, it's not for me. I'm glad I got to experience the parks for a little over 9 months with my Flex Pass. I only wish I had gone more, but who would have expected a once in 100 year pandemic to come along.

I liked being able to come on a Sunday morning at opening, and leave by 2. Or come late in the day on Saturday, and stay until closing. It sounds like I was part of the problem. Well, problem solved, since people like me likely won't be buying into this program.

Disney must be confident in this decision. I doubt they have any sort of backup plan. Like others have recommended on this board, they want to do away with the casual visitor, who can visit more often at a lower price point.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Exactly...nobody ever "needs" to go to disneyland 48 a times a year...until the habit convinces them that the "need" to be a Disneyland every week. Disney just created a monster that allowed it and it snowballed to where 48 times a year could be mild for some folks. Ultimately, folks became so used to going that it became their norm, their hangout.
This lead to the creation of vloggers. Hopefully it helps end them too.

Stevek

I liked being able to come on a Sunday morning at opening, and leave by 2. Or come late in the day on Saturday, and stay until closing. It sounds like I was part of the problem. Well, problem solved, since people like me likely won't be buying into this program.
Disney is counting on this happening. Some folks that like to visit like you did, will absolutely pony up for whatever Disney offers, others like you will not. I don't think Disney ever expected the concept of an AP to become they type of experience you described above. They wanted folks to come and enjoy a full day at the parks but over time, the AP program grew and changed into something far too massive and unmanageable...with many people doing exactly what you did. I know, I contributed to this issues for 12 years. I worked a mile from the park and it was very easy for my wife and daughters to meet me at work at 4 and we'd go to the park and spend a couple hours. That experience was no longer something Disney wanted to encourage hence the reason for this change.

SplashGhost

You don't want to pay 3 thousand dollars for a pass that gives you a chance to enter a lottery to win the chance to wait for the Spiderman Web Slapperz ride?

You don't want to "mobile order" a hot dog 2.5 hours before you're hungry for it?

I have no interest in paying 3000 dollars for access to ChapekLand.

The thing is Disneyland is not about attractions anymore. It's a lifestyle to most people. You go to Knotts mainly for the attractions. Some people go to Disney to do all other stuff aside from attractions. Why do you always see Youtube vids of Disneyland/DCA and not much Knotts even though it's more expensive at Disney?

That is a good point, and I think it has done a lot of damage to the parks since Avengers Campus is kind of built towards the lifestyler crowd that go for merch, food and instagrammable pics. Chapek is chasing these people and he risks losing long term fans that would have otherwise stayed loyal for several decades.

Stevek

This has already been happening for the last 20 years, and only got louder in the last 10. Its nothing new and crowds only got larger. Disney has been and will continue laughing to the bank....
Yep, exactly the point I tried to make above. Plenty people out there to complain about whatever Disney does: Pixar Pier, Galaxy's Edge, Guardians, Parking Increases, Less AP benefits, increased ticket prices for both day and APs but guess what, people still showed up in masses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom