Disneyland hostess files complaint over Muslim head scarf

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublimesting

As of late Monday afternoon there is an update to this story. Disney designed a scarve and hat combo for Imane Boudlal to wear in an Onstage role at Storytellers Cafe, but she has refused. They also offered her a choice of four different Backstage roles where she could wear her scarve, but she refused that as well.

Her union has released a photo of the hat option, but blurred out Imane's face because she was so embarassed to be seen wearing the hat. Considering she's been working the past two years without anything covering her head this union has a flair for the dramatic, you have to give them that.

http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2010/08/23/muslim-employee-rejects-disneys-hat-alternative/53795/

OMG is that for real...I almost choked on vinegar!!!:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

That scarf is no good here. Place this derby on your head....Ah now that fits Disney style!

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
(Please correct me if I am wrong about the headscarf being a religious accessory / custom).

If disney fired her for her religious choice, then she has a case: However, this is an accessory that allows her to openly practice her religion... not the same in my opinion. Disney did not discriminate against her religion . It is eliminating her from practicing that religion on their grounds similar to the government not allowing christians to practice their religion in school. Disney wants to appeal to everyone of all cultures and requires its employees to leave his/her religion at home.

That being stated, Disney does practice Christmas with.....Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party........ In addition, Epcot celebrates "Holidays Around the World" Something to chew on I guess......

Something else to chew on, isn't this particular religion suppose to Fast during this time as well? If it is...Then I wonder if any of her co-workers have seen her eating during this time.... If she does take a break and eats (yet claims that the headscarf is sooo important to her religion) then she holds double standards and is just trying to stir up problems for Disney.... If I am wrong on the whole Fast thing, then this comment is invalid.

Edit: In case your wondering I do not agree with the Employee that she has been discriminated against due to her religion.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
(Please correct me if I am wrong about the headscarf being a religious accessory / custom).

If disney fired her for her religious choice, then she has a case: However, this is an accessory that allows her to openly practice her religion... not the same in my opinion. Disney did not discriminate against her religion . It is eliminating her from practicing that religion on their grounds similar to the government not allowing christians to practice their religion in school. Disney wants to appeal to everyone of all cultures and requires its employees to leave his/her religion at home.

That being stated, Disney does practice Christmas with.....Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party........ In addition, Epcot celebrates "Holidays Around the World" Something to chew on I guess......

Not quite the same. MVMCP and Holidays Around the World are events designed for their guests, who have the option of participating fully, a little, or not at all. This woman is an employee to whom the dress (costuming) requirements of her position were clearly stated out to her at the onset of her career with Disney. It took two years for her to decide that somehow she was being discriminated against. Even after Disney made compromise gestures as an attempt to accomodate her, which they were not under any obligation to do.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Something else to chew on, isn't this particular religion suppose to Fast during this time as well?
Observant Muslims are expected to fast (and abstain from water and $ex) from sunup to sundown during the month of Ramadan.

TP2000

Observant Muslims are expected to fast (and abstain from water and $ex) from sunup to sundown during the month of Ramadan.

Water? They can't drink water for 14 hours straight?

That doesn't sound safe for the workplace, especially in August. If Cal/OSHA knew about that, it would seem the state inspectors would need to get involved regarding employees refusing to drink water for extended periods of time putting themselves at risk. :confused:

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Water? They can't drink water for 14 hours straight?
That is the expectation, yes. I've read that the no liquids requirement can be particularly onerous in the Middle East when Ramadan falls during the summer months*...especially for Muslims who work outdoors.

*Islam uses a lunar calendar, so the dates of Muslim observances vary each year by our calendar.

fosse76

Yes in fact, each cast member is part of a show called "The Magic Kingdom", called "The Disneyland Hotel", called "THe Haunted Mansion". They each have a role just like Cinderella or Peter Pan regardless of their union. They even share their own terminology: on stage, back stage, costumes, cast members... the list goes on.

Wrong. Disney can call them actors all they want, but they are not actors. As such, under the law, they are not exempt from anti-discrimination laws.

That's why millions of people visit the parks. Why do we watch movies???? To be transported to another world and escape reality. Hmmm, let's go back to core Disney Traditions. In fact, maybe Disney should extend their philosophy class "Traditions" so people entering the job can decide if they're on board before they start working - not 2 years later.

Nonsense. I would venture to guess that 99% of the people who visit Disney wouldn't even notice, nor would they care. You seem to be arguing that Disney should require people to change their religion before they take the job. You're a true patriot! :brick:

And NO, Disney should not make religious garb to go along with each religion, so the CM can choose their preference at Wardrobe.

I have mixed feelings on this. It is pretty respectable that Disney is doing this, which shows that they are finally realizing that Christianity isn't the only religion there is (and for the record, I am an atheist nd think the world would be better off without ALL religious people).

Please... this whole situation has gotten out of control. No tolerance! If you don't believe in the Disney Values get another job. Go work at Jack in the Box if you wanna wear your religious attire. Maybe your dreams will come true there...

Again, you seem to believe that people should change their beliefs to work a substandard job (which is pretty much what Disney is). That is against everything the U.S. was founded on.

fosse76

This is simply your opinion. My opinion is that having her work in the back is a reasonable accommodation until the custom hijab can be made. It was brought up in a previous post but where does this end?

Exactly. This is WHY we have a court system, and why this case is not an abuse of the system.

Are Christians going to start demanding they be allowed to wear large crucifixes with a realistic portrayal of the scene (blood and all)?

I think that's the point though. If it had been a Christian, it would be a HUGE firestorm. I bet the people on this board would be up in arms over the discrimination.

Are Muslims going to want to start wearing full garb (like in the above picture)? This can go on and on, but at some point it must be dealt with.

That's nonsense. Disney has the right to to require employees to wear uniforms. The second they started designing one for her costume is when they lost the right to say she couldn't wear one.

Sadly what will end up happening is that Disney will either cave and theming will be lost, or they start closet discriminating for hiring purposes. Both of these would a crappy solution. :hammer:

You people really need to get over this themeing issue. I mean seriously get a life. I, and 99% of other guests, could care less if a CM is wearing head scarf. Though I confess seeing a cross offends me to no end. And people can blame muslims all they want for these types of suits, when it is the religious right that started it all.

sweetpee_1993

^^^

I'm interested in what study/data the info regarding the opinions of 99% of Disney's guests came from :shrug: We can guess all day at what others would think but those guesses are nothing but just that: guesses. The fact of the matter is Disney had dress requirements when this girl took the job and those requirements were accepted by her without issue for 2 years. No other cast members have been allowed to change the dress standards for any other religion. Why does she deserve special privileges here? She doesn't. And you're absolutely right. This is the United States where private companies have the right to make rules & enforce them indiscriminately. This is just another example of pathetic people victimizing themselves however the can for financial gain & attention. Nothing more.

Not trying to come off snarky or anything. Promise.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
huge.25.129417.JPG

TP2000

You people really need to get over this themeing issue. I mean seriously get a life. I, and 99% of other guests, could care less if a CM is wearing head scarf. Though I confess seeing a cross offends me to no end. And people can blame muslims all they want for these types of suits, when it is the religious right that started it all.

I care. I don't want to see her Mulsim headscarve at Disneyland, nor in any profesional work environment or place of business really. I also don't want to see Yarmulkes or dangling crosses or big giant turbans. That kind of stuff is tacky when I'm the customer paying you to serve me, and it looks unprofesional.

So there's one person who cares. Judging from the letters pouring in to the OC Register and all the posts found on sites like this, I think you may have gotten your statistics flip-flopped. :lol:

http://letters.ocregister.com/2010/08/26/disney-should-stick-to-its-guns-on-workplace-policy/
http://letters.ocregister.com/2010/08/26/jury-won’t-support-boudlal’s-claim-against-disney/

My mother also cares, and can't stand seeing these women in their headscarves. My mom comes at it from a non-religious angle, since she was a delegate for the ERA Convention in Houston back in '76 and worked hard in the 1970's to gain equal rights for women. She just seethes when she sees these women willingly (or not so willingly) subjugating themselves to their husbands and an oppresive male-dominant culture in 21st century America.

It appears that a majority of people, perhaps a large majority, don't care to see Muslim headscarves or any blatantly religious symbols in the workplace, and especially Disneyland.

SoupBone

You people really need to get over this themeing issue. I mean seriously get a life. I, and 99% of other guests, could care less if a CM is wearing head scarf.

Stop being a condescending ______. I haven't been rude or obnoxious to you so get off my back. My life is just fine. Also, for someone who types in absolutes you sure don't factually back up your posts. Please cite where 99% of the people don't care about the theming at Disney.

Though I confess seeing a cross offends me to no end. And people can blame muslims all they want for these types of suits, when it is the religious right that started it all.

You finally revealed your true motives behind the post. The funny thing is I agree across the board that at some point this gets out of hand. I don't care who started it back during the Crusades, I'm not involved in a holy war at the moment. Matter of fact if you would actually read my post that you quoted above you can clearly see I don't take a side. If a Christian wanted to wear an open crucifix I would object as well.

Matter of fact since you like to speak as though you post factual information declaring others wrong I want to see links to them.

In other words:
citation-needed-wikipedia-819731_500_271.jpg

trr1

Stop being a condescending ______. I haven't been rude or obnoxious to you so get off my back. My life is just fine. Also, for someone who types in absolutes you sure don't factually back up your posts. Please cite where 99% of the people don't care about the theming at Disney.

You finally revealed your true motives behind the post. The funny thing is I agree across the board that at some point this gets out of hand. I don't care who started it back during the Crusades, I'm not involved in a holy war at the moment. Matter of fact if you would actually read my post that you quoted above you can clearly see I don't take a side. If a Christian wanted to wear an open crucifix I would object as well.

Matter of fact since you like to speak as though you post factual information declaring others wrong I want to see links to them.

In other words:
citation-needed-wikipedia-819731_500_271.jpg
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom