Disneyland hostess files complaint over Muslim head scarf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5its8dDeg3HCpYxbGgw9Lg3Kw1ItwD9HM79DG0

Muslim employee: Disney banned her head scarf
By GILLIAN FLACCUS (AP) – 5 hours ago
ANAHEIM, Calif. — A Muslim woman who works as a hostess at a Disneyland restaurant alleged Wednesday the theme park would not allow her to appear in front of customers while wearing her head scarf.
Imane Boudlal, 26, appeared outside the resort's Grand Californian Hotel after filing a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
She said when she wore the hijab to work Sunday, her supervisors told her to remove it, work where customers couldn't see her, or go home.
Boudlal, who wore the scarf in observance of Ramadan, chose to go home but reported to work for the next two days and was told the same thing.
"Miss Boudlal has effectively understood that they're not interested in accommodating her request either in timing or good faith," said Ameena Qazi, an attorney from the Council on American-Islamic Relations who is consulting with Boudlal.
Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown said Disney has a policy not to discriminate. The resort offered Boudlal a chance to work with the head covering away from customers while Disneyland tries to find a compromise that would allow Boudlal to cover her head in a way that fits with her hostess uniform, Brown said.
"Typically, somebody in an on-stage position like hers wouldn't wear something like that, that's not part of the costume," Brown said. "We were trying to accommodate her with a backstage position that would allow her to work. We gave her a couple of different options and she chose not to take those and to go home."
Boudlal, who is a native of Morocco, has worked at the Storyteller restaurant at the hotel for 2 1/2 years but only realized she could wear her hijab to work after studying for her U.S. citizenship exam in June, Qazi said.
She asked her supervisors if she could wear the scarf and was told they would consult with the corporate office, Qazi said. Boudlal didn't hear anything for two months and was then told she could wear a head scarf, but it had to be designed by Disneyland's costume department to comply with the Disney look, Qazi said.
She was fitted for a Disney-supplied head scarf but was not given a date when the garment would be finished and was told she couldn't wear her own hijab in the interim.
Boudlal wore her own hijab to work for the first time Sunday.
"After these two months and this complicated process, she decided to come forward," Qazi said. "She really wanted to be able to wear it on Ramadan."
Boudlal has the support of her union, which has been in a bitter fight for months with Disneyland over an expired contract for hotel workers. Brown accused the union of distorting the facts in Boudlal's case to distract from the key issues in the contract fight.
Leigh Shelton, a spokeswoman for the union, said Boudlal's coming forward now had nothing to do with the negotiations.
"There's absolutely no correlation," said Shelton, who's with Unite Here Local 11.
Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...mpany-wont-let-her-work-with-hijab-scarf.html

Disneyland worker, barred from wearing hijab scarf as restaurant hostess, files federal complaint
August 18, 2010 | 5:59 pm

A Disneyland Resort restaurant hostess filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Wednesday because she said she is not being allowed to wear her hijab in her current position.

The complaint came shortly before Imane Boudlal, 26, made a public attempt -– in front of videographers, photographers and trailing reporters -– to begin her afternoon shift at the Storytellers Cafe at the Grand Californian Hotel.

In a news conference immediately following, Boudlal said she was told to take off her hijab, the head scarf some Muslim women wear, or work in a position in what the resort terms "backstage."

Boudlal refused and walked out of the hotel, again flanked by media and community members, who briefly began chanting.

“I’ve been sent home,” she said. “I thought maybe today is my lucky day because I have my friends, my supporters.”

The attempt to work was her fourth – albeit the first in front of the cameras – after Boudlal began wearing the hijab to work Sunday at the cafe, where she has been a hostess for two years.

On the previous days she was also told to take the scarf off or take a job in the back, said both Boudlal and a Disneyland spokeswoman.

“She’s been allowed to work,” said spokeswoman Suzi Brown. “We’ve given her the opportunity to work in a backstage role the last several shifts that she’s come in.”

Brown said the hijab would be a departure from the costume policy for the job Boudlal has as hostess.

“It has to do with the costume; every role at Disneyland Resort has a specific costume,” she said, adding that Disneyland has a number of employees who do wear religious clothing and work behind the scenes. She could not recall whether there were any who worked directly with guests.

-- Raja Abdulrahim

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
This story has a surprisingly strong statement by Disney criticizing its restaurant workers union.

----

ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Imane Boudlal, surrounded by supporters, left work 15 minutes after her shift started Wednesday.

For a fourth day, the 26 year old who works as a host at a restaurant at Disneyland's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa went home without pay.

At issue is her hijab, a head scarf, which is a symbol of her Muslim faith.

"I said, what's the reason?" Boudlal said. "They said it's because of the Disney look. You're not in compliance with the Disney policy."

Boudlal, who became a U.S. citizen in June, has worked at Disneyland for more than two years.

A few months ago, she said she wanted to start wearing her headscarf to work and sent a letter asking Disney for accommodation based on her religious beliefs.

"Instead of granting this simple request, Disney dragged its feet forcing Imane to take her scarf off when arriving at work," said Ameena Qazi, a staff attorney at the Council on American Islamic Relations.

But Disneyland officials said they've been working with Boudlal on accommodations.

"We offered reasonable accommodations to allow her to work during her scheduled shifts, which she declined," Disney officials said in a statement. They did not give specifics of those accommodations.

"They said, these are your options: either work in the back or go home," Boudlal said. "I don't' want to be in the back. I'm a human being, I have feelings. Don't put me in the back."

In a statement, Disneyland said the incident is part of an ongoing dispute with the restaurant workers union.

"The Company values diversity and has a long-standing policy against discrimination of any kind. Unfortunately, this is yet another attempt by Local 11 to distort the facts and distract from the real issue that their members have been without a contract for two and a half years," the statement said.

Boudlal has filed a discrimination complaint against Disney with the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission.

"We're talking about the 2,100 workers and whether they have the right to their religion," said Ada Briceno of UNITE HERE Local 11. "If I wear a cross, why can't she wear her hijab?"

Boudlal said she simply wants to wear her head covering without controversy.

"I'm not here to scare anybody," she said. "I'm here to wear my head scarf and work and keep my job."

For now, she said she'll continue to show up for work wearing her head scarf. She said she hopes Disney will allow her to work as a hostess greeting customers.

Disney is the parent company of ABC7.
(Copyright ©2010 KABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
So basically she asked, was told no, and did it anyway? Now she is getting angry because they gave her a hard time. Sounds like negative attention seeking to me. I understand religious freedom and all that, but they offered her interim accommodations which she refused. :shrug:

If it is that big of a deal for her to all of the sudden wear the garment (when presumably it wasn't an issue during previous Ramadan's she worked there) then she should have just accepted their backstage position. As it is, I think it is quite accommodating of Disney to custom make her a hijab that fits the costume even if it is taking forever for it to be done.

sweetpee_1993

What I got from that is she wants to wear the scarf that's not compliant with the costume for the restaurant she works in. Disney attempted to accommodate her wish to wear the scarf by offering her an offstage position which wasn't to her liking so she decided to file a complaint. Disney hasn't discriminated. They offered her an alternative that accommodates her scarf. They didn't say she could not wear the scarf to work, they only said she couldn't wear it onstage because it's not part of the costume. That's not discrimination and has nothing to do with religion, that's rules. I find the quote from this woman stating that she didn't want to be in back...she's a human being...she didn't want to be in back rather interesting. This statement implies that her perception of offstage cast is lesser or "inhuman" as compared to those who's duties are onstage. She should be careful with what she says. Some of those offstage coworkers may feel discriminated against or publicly degraded by this woman. :cool:

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
As it is, I think it is quite accommodating of Disney to custom make her a hijab that fits the costume even if it is taking forever for it to be done.
I was impressed by that offer too...assuming they ever come through on it.

Something tells me they might be a little less motivated to finish it up at the moment. :lookaroun

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
As it is, I think it is quite accommodating of Disney to custom make her a hijab that fits the costume even if it is taking forever for it to be done.
Another thought: I'm fairly certain this is at least the second time this issue has come up in a Disney park. (I think a Muslim employee at WDW might have raised a similar complaint.)

If Disney is willing to custom make a hijab that fits with the theme/costume of a particular role, it might be worth their while to start designing their costumes with some of the most common religious garments already custom designed to fit the theme, then offer them as optional accessories through Costuming to head this kind of thing off at the pass.

I do sympathize with Disney's desire to maintain the integrity of theming, but I don't like the idea of sweeping these people backstage as the first option when this kind of thing comes up. If possible, why not try to find a way to accommodate religious employees in a way that preserves the "magic"?

Even though most people here will not sympathize with the girl for running to the media on this, I don't think it helps Disney to have this kind of story out there and would probably be worth their while on the PR front to make a more concerted attempt to avoid these kinds of incidents than just trying to hide observant Muslims in the back. That strikes me as a half-assed, uncreative approach. Just my thoughts.

TP2000

I do sympathize with Disney's desire to maintain the integrity of theming, but I don't like the idea of sweeping these people backstage as the first option when this kind of thing comes up. If possible, why not try to find a way to accommodate religious employees in a way that preserves the "magic"?

The problem with that is, where does it end?

The Islamic "supporters" that were behind Imane during her press conference today on the front lawn of the Grand Californian Hotel weren't just wearing head scarves. Several of them were wearing the full-length black Muslim Burkas with only a portion of their face showing.

woman-with-burka_64.jpg

If Disney allows this girl to wear her head scarve with her issued Costume, why can't another woman Cast Member wear a Burka while working on Main Street USA? Are you okay with discriminating against some Muslim garb, but not others?

What about your Tour Guide wearing a Turban? Jewish Yarmulkes worn instead of the conductors cap on the Disneyland Railroad? Rosary beads and Ash Wednesday forehead markings on the hostess selling you mouse ears? A big rainbow AIDS awareness brooche on your waiter at the Blue Bayou? Long, matted dreadlocks with woven Rastafarian beads on the Tom Sawyer Island raft driver? Nazi swastikas tattooed on the neck of your Disney bus driver? Why do only Muslims get to write their own ticket on how they look?

At what point is the concept of a "dress code" and "costume" too much of a burden to bear? If this girl can wear her Muslim headscarve, why can't anyone else do anything their personal beliefs dictate regardless of Disney company policy?

Where does it end exactly? I can guarantee you that if Disney caves on this one, it doesn't end with this one Muslim hostess at this one restaurant. :mad:

puntagordabob

She is an idiot... she worked for years with no issue and suddenly after her discovery in the US paperwork she "had to wear it like yesterday"!

All Cast Members out "on the stage" which is anyplace in the public view are performers in costume.. END of discussion. If she doesnt like the costume, and wont accept a backstage position.... then they need to get Donald Trump to meet her and echo the words she deserves: "You are Fired!"

To hell with people like that...just a damn troublemaker she is!

cdunbar

The Islamic "supporters" that were behind Imane during her press conference today on the front lawn of the Grand Californian Hotel weren't just wearing head scarves. Several of them were wearing the full-length black Muslim Burkas with only a portion of their face showing.

woman-with-burka_64.jpg

If Disney allows this girl to wear her head scarve with her issued Costume, why can't another woman Cast Member wear a Burka while working on Main Street USA? Are you okay with discriminating against some Muslim garb, but not others?

What about your Tour Guide wearing a Turban? Jewish Yarmulkes worn instead of the conductors cap on the Disneyland Railroad? Rosary beads and Ash Wednesday forehead markings on the hostess selling you mouse ears? A big rainbow AIDS awareness brooche on your waiter at the Blue Bayou? Long, matted dreadlocks with woven Rastafarian beads on the Tom Sawyer Island raft driver? Nazi swastikas tattooed on the neck of your Disney bus driver? Why do only Muslims get to write their own ticket on how they look?

At what point is the concept of a "dress code" and "costume" too much of a burden to bear? If this girl can wear her Muslim headscarve, why can't anyone else do anything their personal beliefs dictate regardless of Disney company policy?

Where does it end exactly? I can guarantee you that if Disney caves on this one, it doesn't end with this one Muslim hostess at this one restaurant. :mad:
You're correct TP I mean Disney is doing this for a reason, it's called protecting ones assests. How would a small child feel if they're parents took them to Story Tellers Restaurant and saw the woman in that long black head scarf, not that she would wear that one but you get the picture, it'd be very frightening to that child, and more than likely they'd ask their parents not to return. And I'm sure it'd be more than just one family.:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My religion requires me to wear pirate regalia so I would be just fine as long as I worked it PotC.:lookaroun

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.

woman-with-burka_64.jpg

I agree that it is a slippery slope. If they start allowing one thing, then all these other requests are going to start popping up. Anyone who gets a job at Disney knows that wearing a specific costume is required. If they don't agree with the rules and regulations regarding the costume, then they shouldn't work there. :shrug: There are many costumes I've seen in WDW that I would be uncomfortable wearing (mainly those that involve huge skirts and require stockings) and I would purposely try to avoid working in those roles. If they couldn't be avoided I would re-evaluate my choice to work there.

She was given options, she refused said options. She's got nothing left to complain about. Her comments about being a "human" just doesn't sit right with me. She better be careful the next time she goes backstage. Some of those "inhuman" CMs back there might just show her how "inhumane" they can be. :lookaroun

All of that being said, Disney doesn't need any more bad press when it comes to their restaurant workers. I hope they can make this girl go away quietly. Either finish up that custom hijab quick (which I doubt they have much motivation to do right now) or figure out another way to make her happy while still protecting the integrity of their costume policies.

IDreamOfDisney

I may be wrong but...

Being a Disney Cast Member and specifically when you are on stage you are considered an actor. Being a actor implies that you’re acting or performing while on stage so the part that you are playing requires a costume.

Being a Cast Member is not your typical job. You are part of a much larger cast and the show starts when the rope drops.

If she was working outside of a entertainment company then she has a legit complaint.

Just my 2 cents but I think her 15 minutes are up.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster

woman-with-burka_64.jpg

That's a fair question, and I guess I'd say yes, I am OK with some discrimination here. To me, it seems like a hijab is something that could be accommodated within the parameters of theming (and Disney seems to agree, since they offered to make her one). Obviously, there's no way a burka could fit with the need to present an open, smiling Cast Member that Disney requires. It seems non-negotiable in the way that a hijab is not, and I think any reasonable person would see the difference.

So I guess my point is Disney could do itself a favor (i.e., avoid bad press) by trying to accommodate reasonable requests (a term I realize is subjective) when it comes to this issue. As tigsmom pointed out above, a similar situation with the hijab came up at WDW in 2004. I just don't think Disney does itself any favors here by not being prepared to deal with situations like this. To someone not familiar with the company, they run the risk of looking insensitive and dogmatic. To someone like me, they just look flat-footed and uncreative.

Again, I think some creativity could easily derail some of these potential issues. Yarmulkes and rosary beads can be hidden under caps and clothing. A turban would be perfectly in keeping with a greeter at the Aladdin show at DCA or in the Agrabah bazaar at MK. AIDS awareness and Nazism are not religions and don't require any accommodation, and I think Disney would win any lawsuit on those grounds.

I don't think Disney does itself any favors by saying essentially "a pox on all your houses" when it comes to religious expression. Within parameters of theming and good taste, I just don't see why they can't work with their employees. Disney is supposed to be known for finding creative solutions to problems, and this boring, unimaginative, bureaucratic approach of "well, just stay out of sight" strikes me as the antithesis of that spirit.

And I want to make clear that I'm not particularly sympathetic toward the young lady in the story. She doesn't seem all that eager to work with the company on this issue, either. I just think having this be an issue at all reflects poorly on Disney. At the very least, it shows they haven't spent much time thinking about this in a serious way.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
I may be wrong but...

Being a Disney Cast Member and specifically when you are on stage you are considered an actor. Being a actor implies that you’re acting or performing while on stage so the part that you are playing requires a costume.

Being a Cast Member is not your typical job. You are part of a much larger cast and the show starts when the rope drops.

If she was working outside of a entertainment company then she has a legit complaint.

I just don't think that argument holds up too well, personally. It's cute and fun for Disney to say that cashiers and waiters are really just "playing the role" of people who make change and take food orders (with the added wrinkle of ACTUALLY PERFORMING those duties as part of their "roles"), but it's really just semantics. Restaurant and merchandise employees are not actors in the same sense that costumed characters and street performers are actors, however much Disney might want to blur the lines there. They have completely different unions, require a completely separate set of on the job skills, go through completely different training, are compensated differently (or so I hear)...again, it's fun for us as fans to imagine that all these people are playing a part in the Disney show, but I think it's disingenuous to say that every person Disney hires is really an actor in a literal sense.

IDreamOfDisney

I just don't think that argument holds up too well, personally. It's cute and fun for Disney to say that cashiers and waiters are really just "playing the role" of people who make change and take food orders (with the added wrinkle of ACTUALLY PERFORMING those duties as part of their "roles"), but it's really just semantics. Restaurant and merchandise employees are not actors in the same sense that costumed characters and street performers are actors, however much Disney might want to blur the lines there. They have completely different unions, require a completely separate set of on the job skills, go through completely different training, are compensated differently (or so I hear)...again, it's fun for us as fans to imagine that all these people are playing a part in the Disney show, but I think it's disingenuous to say that every person Disney hires is really an actor in a literal sense.

Go to Liberty Tree Tavern in WDW. They are all dressed in
colonial attire. If my server had a terbin on it would ruin the effect.

Erika

I may be wrong but...

I think IDreamOfDisney has a good point- I know where you're coming from, BJ, but it's true that part of the Disney experience is being immersed in a particular fantasy and there is a long history of the company not allowing personal or religious style to deviate from whatever image Disney wants to project. I think Disney did the right thing putting their costume dept on it. Seems like the best possible compromise. :shrug:

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
I think Disney did the right thing putting their costume dept on it. Seems like the best possible compromise. :shrug:
I agree with that. From the outside, that looks like a good faith effort to accommodate her. I hope they won't be less willing to do that in the future based on this particular squeaky wheel.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Go to Liberty Tree Tavern in WDW. They are all dressed in
colonial attire. If my server had a terbin on it would ruin the effect.
I totally get what you're saying, and I said earlier that I sympathize with the need to maintain theming.

I just think you can make an argument for the importance of costuming without arguing that the kid taking your ticket at the front gate of Disneyland actually has the same job as Johnny Depp — or even has the same job as the guy dressed up as Goofy on Main Street. That line of thought just seems obviously false to me.

I think if Disney tried to say "everyone we hire is literally an actor" in court, their lawyers would be laughed out of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom