Disneyland has classic logo, why not WDW?

HMF

The biggest problem I have with the current logo is that the Disney script became far too ubiquitous. It robbed the individual offerings of their identities, and made them all a bit more visually bland in their graphic identities.
Could be worse.

board57796

Sadly, the Monorails are beginning to lose their "D"s. Silver was the first to lose them, then Black lost its D's from the Cab 1 end, then Teal came out freshly painted and did not have them, and now Black has lost them from its Cab 6 end as well. Three out of eleven trains don't have them anymore :(

Skipper Dan

Seriously, you people need to stop living in the past. The original WDW logo is hideous. Just because it was the original doesn't make it good. And the original Disneyland logo is very dated. You guys constantly whine about attractions like Star Tours being modernized...well it was modern when it opened, so why not keep it that way? If the logo shouldn't be updated, why should attractions? Will some fail? Of course. And then they'll do something else.

POST OF THE YEAR! :sohappy:

TP2000

What a fun topic!

Yes, Disneyland used to have a more stylized version of the logo, with that "classic Disneyland" font appearing more slender and narrow. Here's the Disneyland marquee that used that more slender script from the 1950's and 60's. Judging by the 1960 Ford and '61 Pontiac, the Midnight closing time, the monorail beam extended out through the parking lot, and the "new hotel tower" that opened in '61, I peg this picture as the Summer of 1961. Count Basie was performing that night too, likely on the bandstand of the Plaza Gardens!

disneyland_marquee.jpg

From the same era, there's also the title and tagline Disneyland carried... Disneyland U.S.A. That title is still found today on many 1950's era Disneyland attractions and facades, like the Mark Twain Riverboat or Sailing Ship Columbia.
Disneyland%201990%2030%20dna.jpg

In the 1970's the Disneyland logo got a bit blockier and the font became thicker. That's also the time the stylized Castle showed up above the word, like this.
20070903_disneyland.PNG

Here's a picture of the changing eras, when the late 1960's Disneyland marquee was being replaced with a larger marquee in the 1980's. A changing of the font gaurds, if you will.
DL+Marquee+x2+lite+Back+DOP.jpg

Today that Castle part of the logo has gone away, with a small RESORT tag added on the bottom. The logo mentioned earlier with the Disney Parks Castle and "Where Dreams Come True" actually isn't used much on Disneyland property. This is the simpler logo you see most frequently today on signs, shopping bags, t-shirts, CM nametags, and such...
P01-0001.JPG

Personally, I love that old Vacation Kingdom Of The World slogan. The Disney font WDW uses today is the same font used to sell plush toys in malls, Caribbean cruises, Hannah Montana TV shows, time share condos, and every other commodity that Disney Co. now sells to people.

If Disneyland gets to keep their classic 20th century look and logo, you would think WDW could too. Or at least an updated take on the 1971 logo.

Dads 2 Boys

The Disneyland font is timeless whereas the WDW font is certainly not.

I think the new logos RAXIP created were very, very nice.

In regards to the marketing point about brands, you are correct but take a look at quite possibly the most recognized logos in brand history...the Nike swoosh. When it started it was accompanied by the name Nike and then they dropped the name to make it look sleeker and more modern (straight from the mouths of Weiden and Kennedy, the Oregon ad firm for Nike). Now they use the name back on some stuff for a retro look but the swoosh by itself is much nicer.

The logo being hideous is an opinion just as people may like it. I should have used "IMO".

EPCOT Explorer

That is probably why they stopped using it.'mostly.
Not really, from 1982-1996 they existed together. It was just phased out then when we got the new logo on 96 for the 25th. It no longer matched.
What a fun topic!

Yes, Disneyland used to have a more stylized version of the logo, with that "classic Disneyland" font appearing more slender and narrow. Here's the Disneyland marquee that used that more slender script from the 1950's and 60's. Judging by the 1960 Ford and '61 Pontiac, the Midnight closing time, the monorail beam extended out through the parking lot, and the "new hotel tower" that opened in '61, I peg this picture as the Summer of 1961. Count Basie was performing that night too, likely on the bandstand of the Plaza Gardens!

disneyland_marquee.jpg

From the same era, there's also the title and tagline Disneyland carried... Disneyland U.S.A. That title is still found today on many 1950's era Disneyland attractions and facades, like the Mark Twain Riverboat or Sailing Ship Columbia.

In the 1970's the Disneyland logo got a bit blockier and the font became thicker. That's also the time the stylized Castle showed up above the word, like this.
20070903_disneyland.PNG

Here's a picture of the changing eras, when the late 1960's Disneyland marquee was being replaced with a larger marquee in the 1980's. A changing of the font gaurds, if you will.

Today that Castle part of the logo has gone away, with a small RESORT tag added on the bottom. The logo mentioned earlier with the Disney Parks Castle and "Where Dreams Come True" actually isn't used much on Disneyland property. This is the simpler logo you see most frequently today on signs, shopping bags, t-shirts, CM nametags, and such...
P01-0001.JPG

Personally, I love that old Vacation Kingdom Of The World slogan. The Disney font WDW uses today is the same font used to sell plush toys in malls, Caribbean cruises, Hannah Montana TV shows, time share condos, and every other commodity that Disney Co. now sells to people.

If Disneyland gets to keep their classic 20th century look and logo, you would think WDW could too. Or at least an updated take on the 1971 logo.

Great post, and I agree. It would be nice to see a NEW 1970's version. :lol:

And for the record, I think the current DL Logo looks more retro than the old ones. :lol:

cblodg

Love, love, love the second one!:sohappy:

As another said, if you applied the color scheme and shooting star thing to the first one, that would be my choice for WDW new logo.

Well done!

One more note, Disney has moved to make just about everything 'corporate' now. The bags, napkins etc. all have "Disney Parks" on them rather than the specialized ones they had in the past. I still have a napkin from each of the parks that is in full color and adorned with the park's name and logo. They don't even do this anymore.

Mr.EPCOT

Sadly, the Monorails are beginning to lose their "D"s. Silver was the first to lose them, then Black lost its D's from the Cab 1 end, then Teal came out freshly painted and did not have them, and now Black has lost them from its Cab 6 end as well. Three out of eleven trains don't have them anymore :(

As I understand it, those were all mistakes, though. When they repainted Yellow just a year or two ago they put the 'D's back on. :shrug:

POST OF THE YEAR! :sohappy:

I've said it before, I'll say it again, it's so sad that some are so quick to bash other posters. If you have reasoning to counter the very rational arguments made for the classic logo other than personal opinion, then share it and most of us will hear it out with an open mind and respect. Without that, you just come off as dense and mean-spirited. It even further seems like a baseless accusation when most in favor of the classic logo are interested in updating it. It also helps to not support a sentiment that devolves into a nonsensical tirade about rides for some strange reason. Last time I checked, logos and rides were two very different things. So would you like to join us in respectful, intelligent debate, or continue to attack other posters?

Figment632

What a fun topic!

disneyland_marquee.jpg

20070903_disneyland.PNG

P01-0001.JPG

Great stuff the current one is terrible compared to the older versions imo.

janoimagine

A
I've said it before, I'll say it again, it's so sad that some are so quick to bash other posters. If you have reasoning to counter the very rational arguments made for the classic logo other than personal opinion, then share it and most of us will hear it out with an open mind and respect. Without that, you just come off as dense and mean-spirited. It even further seems like a baseless accusation when most in favor of the classic logo are interested in updating it. It also helps to not support a sentiment that devolves into a nonsensical tirade about rides for some strange reason. Last time I checked, logos and rides were two very different things. So would you like to join us in respectful, intelligent debate, or continue to attack other posters?

Quoted for Truth.

SMRT-1

Original Poster
One more note, Disney has moved to make just about everything 'corporate' now. The bags, napkins etc. all have "Disney Parks" on them rather than the specialized ones they had in the past. I still have a napkin from each of the parks that is in full color and adorned with the park's name and logo. They don't even do this anymore.

that is one of the main issues here..disney has done a great job of streamling the brand. as a kid there was nothing more special to me than to have a plush or a toy that had the Walt Disney World tag on it. last time i checked it hasn't become totally bland YET....for instance if you buy a plush from WDW..it says WDW on the tag.

cheers to the Disneyland fans in 2001 to not accept the new logo that had been introduced.

the old WDW logo brings a smile to my face and would love to see it come back..even if they polished it up.

EPCOT Explorer

As I understand it, those were all mistakes, though. When they repainted Yellow just a year or two ago they put the 'D's back on. :shrug:

What about Silver or Green?

JLW11Hi

Personally, I like Disneyland's old logo because it seems classic and timeless. WDW's old logo, on the other hand, just looks like a relic from the 70's. It's fine for retro shirts, but the current logo is much better.

I totally agree with this. The original Disneyland logo/font is a good design. It has a flourish that speaks to both the classic, original Disney theme park, and makes it seem special and fun.

The 1970s WDW logo is very bold and blocky and feels cold to me. I think that although using the same "Disney" script font in the current logo is sort of unoriginal, it does have much more of a flourish and fun, dreamy style to it than the big blocky letters from the 70s logo. It also makes it seem more inviting.

And yes, the old logo looks great on vintage style t-shirts, but that's why that stuff sells, its retro and "out-dated".

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I totally agree with this. The original Disneyland logo/font is a good design. It has a flourish that speaks to both the classic, original Disney theme park, and makes it seem special and fun.

The 1970s WDW logo is very bold and blocky and feels cold to me. I think that although using the same "Disney" script font in the current logo is sort of unoriginal, it does have much more of a flourish and fun, dreamy style to it than the big blocky letters from the 70s logo. It also makes it seem more inviting.

And yes, the old logo looks great on vintage style t-shirts, but that's why that stuff sells, its retro and "out-dated".

I think you mean retro and timeless! :D

SMRT-1

Original Poster

I honestly believe that if the original logo was kept you would not be thinking this way...Disney would find a way to make it more sleeker and or add clouds and a castle like some of the fan logos that were presented here. It's obvious both logos look dated...That is the point! To look into another time period and or one that never existed. The current logo looks like it should be on their corporate headquarters, not the sign that represents "the happiest place on earth".

TheBeatles

The current WDW logo is ok, but it feels incomplete.

The 'Walt Disney' font contradicts the 'World' font and does not resonate with me like the old one. However, I like that it gives style to Walt's name.

I love the old logo and would not mind it coming back. I have never looked at it and thought it looked old. It's a perfect representation of WDW and says more than the current one does.

The brilliance of a logo within a logo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom