Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

flynnibus

Premium Member
My guess is this is the end of live fire effects in domestic parks anywhere near an audience, stage, or performers.

There is going to be serious scrutiny over the way this failure was not contained and the on the back of the previous parade failure you're going to see a huge barrier to beat... saying "why should we even risk it?"

F! is likely to see the show rescripted too - the only question would be is if they look to b-mode salvage the stage to run through the summer peak season.

DrAlice

I'm not suprised about on the figure itself... but what I am surprised at is there was no larger scale fire fighting response built into their Operating model given the amount of pyrotechnics built into this show.

The island is of course access limited, but with so much pyro effects you'd think they'd have a plan in place to fight fires. Obviously not :( Guess they relied so much on their thoughts of emergency cutoffs they never thought to address a breakout fire :/

They seemed slow to stop the show too.. clearly the apparatus in the head failed and the head was engulfed for awhile before the show fully stopped.
Or it IS there, and it wasn't operating. I'm honestly not sure which would disturb me more.

Vegas Disney Fan

That’s easy to say in hindsight.

You could prevent out greatly limit almost any disaster in hindsight, but even if you tried to account for everything and tripled every budget, stuff would still go wrong occasionally.

It’s also possible letting the skin burn while protecting the surrounding area was the fire prevention plan, depending on what oils and chemicals were used it’s not as easy as putting water on it, I say this from experience after putting water on an oil fire in a pan and instantly turning a 6” flame into a 30’ wall of flame that went across the entire ceiling of my kitchen.

Last edited:

Cliff

I suspect that there is no way Disney would approve a new "Murphy" creation in 2023-2024. "Murphy" was a wonderful product of PAST philosophy Imagineering that seems to be long gone today. Even if Imagineering had the will to build another one, Disney management would prolly never green light it again.

I think the old "glory days" of Imagineering are now way behind us. I don't blame them...I blame the top Disney bean-counters that dont see the return on investment of builing epic machines like "Murphy".

So....The old "B-mode" is the new "A-mode". I hope I'm wrong...but it's my guess that "Murphy" wont return for a long time....if ever.

SplashJacket

Original Poster
Safety plans - including fire response... is not 'hindsight'

Their fire response that night was a guy with a hand held fire extinguisher -- that's not acceptable.
That fire got moving very quickly, and honestly, I don’t think they could’ve put it out entirely with just water. Look at the response to Notre Dame, they eventually put it out, but basically everything that was burning, burned. I’m not a firefighter, but at a certain intensity, the fire just has to run its course and it’s more about limiting spread, which they did successfully.

If a flame gets hot enough, it’ll just vaporize huge streams of water instantly, which probably would’ve been the case here barring blasting it with so much water damage would’ve been done regardless. They had the ability to put more water on Notre Dame but chose against it, because it could’ve caused the structure to collapse, but they still successfully isolated it, so more isn’t necessarily better.

But yeah, in hindsight, they could’ve had a better fire response/suppression system, but watching the videos, they responded quickly and it still went up in flames.

They could install a system like the one below, but they aren’t cheap by any sense of the word, but I’m not necessarily sure a few hoses scattered around the dragon would’ve helped.

You can’t just shoot large columns of water on an active stage occupied by people as it would pose a significant safety risk, beyond the fire itself, so before a system like that would even get activation, minutes would need to pass for the stage to get cleared (and by that point the dragon was already engulfed).

If TSI was engulfed in flames by the end of the night or many people were seriously injured, I would agree, but I don’t think that’s what we saw.

DrAlice

In the instances where something has caught fire in FL (FoF dragon, Iago, brush fires from fireworks) it's been contained very quickly. While CA's dryness likely contributed, this was absolutely a management failure.
Oh, my comment isn't a disparaging remark about the Florida park's response. And I agree and referred to this as a management failure in my original post.

I was referring to the current Reedy Creek fight. Never underestimate the ability (by Disney or DeS) to twist facts to be used as a political football. :)

Edited for clarity.

JohnD

Isn't that video showing the base that attaches to the dragon AA? Looks like they literally just ripped whatever was left of the dragon off the metal base.
My guess is this is the end of live fire effects in domestic parks anywhere near an audience, stage, or performers.

There is going to be serious scrutiny over the way this failure was not contained and the on the back of the previous parade failure you're going to see a huge barrier to beat... saying "why should we even risk it?"

F! is likely to see the show rescripted too - the only question would be is if they look to b-mode salvage the stage to run through the summer peak season.
I don't know. There's also fire effects on the water and at the Indy show.

SplashJacket

Original Poster

Apologies if this comes across as insensitive, but stunt performers at the Indiana Jones stunt show have died, which didn’t end the show. A Monorail driver died in a crash, which didn’t end the monorail. Matterhorn has killed multiple people, which didn’t end the ride. Cast members have died on the parade route, which didn’t end parades.

While the dragon itself may have been a catastrophic failure, it remained contained to a catastrophic failure of the dragon, and not the park itself.

Since everyone is thankfully safe, outside losing the dragon, I’d wager this isn’t a big deal.

Inspecting the fire effects elsewhere once a cause is determined out of an abundance of caution for the performers and guests is what they should do.

Last edited:

DrAlice

Apologies if this comes across as insensitive, but stunt performers at the Indiana Jones stunt show have died, which didn’t end the show. A Monorail driver died in a crash, which didn’t end the monorail. Matterhorn has killed multiple people, which didn’t end the ride. Cast members have died on the parade route, which didn’t end parades.

While the dragon itself may have been a catastrophic failure, it remained contained to a catastrophic failure of the dragon, and not the park itself.

Since everyone is safe, outside losing the dragon, I’d wager this isn’t a big deal.

I'd generally agree with you except that Disney's response here was to halt all fire effects, globally. That worries me about the future of Murphy. Current Disney is penny-pinching and risk-averse. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: And didn't a couple of cast members go to the hospital for smoke inhalation? Or was that incorrect MC reporting?

SuddenStorm

The show is surrounded by water. How much would it have cost Disney to install 4 or 5 jet pumps in the water with nozzels pointed right at the dragon? Flick an emergecy switch and the stage is blasted with an unlimited supply of water.

That would have been a VERY cheap solutuon that would have stopped this in seconds...and probably would have saved Murphy.

Depending on the kind of oil that was burning, pumping water at it might have made it worse. You don't put out a grease fire with water.

Brian

From a YouTube livestream, it would seem the scrim has been erected.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 13.47.58.png

"Nothin' to see here, folks."

SplashJacket

Original Poster
I'd generally agree with you except that Disney's response here was to halt all fire effects, globally. That worries me about the future of Murphy. Current Disney is penny-pinching and risk-averse. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: And didn't a couple of cast members go to the hospital for smoke inhalation? Or was that incorrect MC reporting?
Whatever failure caused this shouldn’t have to happen again for it to get addressed. I don’t see how being cautious is a bad thing. Having a few shows with reduced effects for a short while in the name of safety is never a bad thing.

I’m going to assume the verbiage “safely evacuated” means everyone is fine now, which is exactly what you want to hear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom