Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

Disney Analyst

Isn't that video showing the base that attaches to the dragon AA? Looks like they literally just ripped whatever was left of the dragon off the metal base.

From that it tells me the lift is still in its position from last night and they're working on putting it behind a scrim.

Edit close up shots show the upper part of the dragon sticking out including the crisped head.

Yep you got it! Just the upper neck and head showing at this point. Generally the neck and head lower into the body in order to fit under the stage, so it means the dragon is still at full length, but most the charred framing is below the stage now,

Cliff

First off...thankfully, nobody was injured!

Sadly, I'm guesing this show will be dark for at least a year, maybe two. That means many, MANY people are without a job today. :-(

Givin the current Disney project construction speed these days combned with massive cost cutting layoffs and budget cuts?.....uggg...its possible that "Murphy" might not ever return the was he used to be.

Once a show like this stops and all the staff leave, it's a big task to rebuild it and rehire everybody back a year or two later.

While fans and many cast members are sad to see this happen....I have to believe that there are a few in Disney finance that quietly say "Ok...wow...shutting this show down and laying off all that staff will save us $$$ in operating costs over the next year"

How much did "Murphy" and his stage cost to build? Could Disney revert back to the old "Cherry picker" crane design to save money?

Is it even posssible that....given the cutbacks and layoffs...Disney will NOT be in a hurry to replace "Murphy" and rehire a Fantasmic staff and crew that large?

I dunno.....uggg....I'm guessing that "Fantasmic" at Disneyland is a "low priority" problem today.

EDIT!!....yeah,...there IS a "no-Murphy" B mode. So,...yes,...the show "CAN" move forward without the dragon. Hmmm...OK!

Last edited:

DrAlice

Two things disturb me the most about this:

1. What happened to the fire suppression system??? I assume that they have something in place, because I can't imagine that authorities in this state would allow otherwise, right? Anyway, it clearly didn't operate if cast members had to show up with a freaking garden hose and fire extinguishers. Is this is maintenance issue?
  2. It took at least 8 minutes of a giant fire on the stage for the cast members to begin evacuating guests from the area. (This is based on a video from someone standing on the HMH side. The video didn't pick up audio or video of evacuation until about 8 minutes post-incident. Maybe it was faster on the other side? If so, I'm still not comforted by this.)

My knee-jerk reaction is that this is a failure of management on all levels. Yes, I know "things happen", but for a show containing fire, the response here seems lacking.

P.S. Good thing this happened in CA and not Florida, or DeSantis would be having a bloody field day.

Disney Analyst

First off...thankfully, nobody was injured!

Sadly, I'm guesing this show will be dark for at least a year, maybe two. That means many, MANY people are without a job today. :-(

Givin the current Disney project construction speed these days combned with massive cost cutting layoffs and budget cuts?.....uggg...its possible that "Murphy" might not ever return the was he used to be.

Once a show like this stops and all the staff leave, it's a big task to rebuild it and rehire everybody back a year or two later.

While fans and many cast members are sad to see this happen....I have to believe that there are a few in Disney finance that quietly say "Ok...wow...shutting this show down and laying off all that staff will save us $$$ in operating costs over the next year"

How much did "Murphy" and his stage cost to build? Could Disney revert back to the old "Cherry picker" crane design to save money?

Is it even posssible that....given the cutbacks and layoffs...Disney will NOT be in a hurry to replace "Murphy" and rehire a Fantasmic staff and crew that large?

I dunno.....uggg....I'm guessing that "Fantasmic" at Disneyland is a "low priority" problem today.

I don’t think it will be that long. I assume it comes back in a few weeks, b-mode engaged.

Cliff

I don’t think it will be that long. I assume it comes back in a few weeks, b-mode engaged.
Does a B-mode exist without "Murphy"? I mean, he doesnt need to breathe fire or even move at all. He just needs to rise up and be "present" for Mickey to make his big ending.

With no dragon at all? What would the show use to make that finaly? "Maybe" they roll out the "cherry picker" design with a molded head and cloth wings?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Mondays executive meetings about this.

Last edited:

Lilofan

There's actually 2 main exits (red). The center entrance/exit and there's one on the far right when facing the stage that's used as a bypass. There's also 3 additional emergency exits at the front on both sides and on the far left (blue).
View attachment 711945
I've been to F! at DHS. I do not recall emergency exits being discussed by cast to guests before the F! performance. I'm thinking if there was an incident then moving forward verbal instructions to find emergency exits would be discussed pre show.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
I've been to F! at DHS. I do not recall emergency exits being discussed by cast to guests before the F! performance.
Why would it need to be discussed at each show? There's usually a CM or two at each emergency exit and they are clearly marked and illustrated. So if there is an emergency, directions can be given out and where to evacuate.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Does a B-mode exist without "Murphy"? I mean, he doesnt need to breathe fire or even move at all. He just needs to rise up and be "present" for Mickey to make his big ending.

With no dragon at all? What would the show use to make that finaly? "Maybe" they roll out the "cherry picker" design with a molded head and cloth wings?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Mondays executive meetings about this.
The B-mode without the dragon just sees Maleficent stay "levitating" on the stage. See below for a pic at WDW, I'm sure it's similar at DL
Fantasmic-B-Mode-Maleficent-Dragon.jpg

SplashJacket

Original Poster
As sad as that video is it gives me hope the mechanism may still work and could be reskinned.
Very quickly into the fire the jaw fell down several feet, suggesting something snapped, the hydraulics failed, or a change in pressure from the hydraulic fluid (bursting or otherwise) caused the movement.

All the hydraulics and pipes would need replacing, but even the full metal structure might be unsalvageable, a fire that concentrated can warp or diminish the strength of the steel.

It’s probably not worth the hassle and just better to make another dragon ground-up.

Cliff

The show is surrounded by water. How much would it have cost Disney to install 4 or 5 jet pumps in the water with nozzels pointed right at the dragon? Flick an emergecy switch and the stage is blasted with an unlimited supply of water.

That would have been a VERY cheap solutuon that would have stopped this in seconds...and probably would have saved Murphy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So they have no fire suppression system on a character that shoots fire.
I'm not suprised about on the figure itself... but what I am surprised at is there was no larger scale fire fighting response built into their Operating model given the amount of pyrotechnics built into this show.

The island is of course access limited, but with so much pyro effects you'd think they'd have a plan in place to fight fires. Obviously not :( Guess they relied so much on their thoughts of emergency cutoffs they never thought to address a breakout fire :/

They seemed slow to stop the show too.. clearly the apparatus in the head failed and the head was engulfed for awhile before the show fully stopped.

SplashJacket

Original Poster
The show is surrounded by water. How much would it have cost Disney to install 4 or 5 jet pumps in the water with nozzels pointed right at the dragon? Flick an emergecy switch and the stage is blasted with an unlimited supply of water.

That would have been a VERY cheap solutuon that would have stopped this in seconds...and probably would have saved Murphy.
That’s easy to say in hindsight.

You could prevent out greatly limit almost any disaster in hindsight, but even if you tried to account for everything and tripled every budget, stuff would still go wrong occasionally.

Extra money and effort was spent to increase the safety and resilience of the Titanic, yet it still sunk, and many lessons were still learned. Every time something like this happens (not comparing a Disney dragon burning to the Titanic) you learn how not to do something, or something else you should’ve done.

The last U.S. aviation crash was in 2009, which is a great accomplishment, but it’s because we had decades of learning what not to do and how to fix them, so the industry became safer.

Flying today is hundreds of times safer than it was 50 years ago, so if you applied the crash rates of planes 50 years ago now to today’s flight volumes, you would have about a crash a week (with hundreds of people onboard).

This doesn’t excuse when stuff goes wrong, when there’s negligence at play, people should be held accountable, but malfunctions or failures go wrong that weren’t accounted for.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
The B-mode without the dragon just sees Maleficent stay "levitating" on the stage. See below for a pic at WDW, I'm sure it's similar at DL
Fantasmic-B-Mode-Maleficent-Dragon.jpg
Yes, here's a video from WDW's version with B mode. They just utilize the face character a little more, plus projections.

Video starts at the scene.

This is no longer the B-mode at DL, at least with F! 2.0. It still is at WDW like y'all noted.

It's now all projections with Mickey shooting his pyro hands at said-dragon projection (kinda lame imo).
Screenshot_20230423_120427_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230423_120452_YouTube.jpg

They can always revert to the Malificient on the lift as a B-mode, but not sure how much work it would be to reprogram that segment of the show.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That’s easy to say in hindsight.

You could prevent out greatly limit almost any disaster in hindsight, but even if you tried to account for everything and tripled every budget, stuff would still go wrong occasionally.
Safety plans - including fire response... is not 'hindsight'

Their fire response that night was a guy with a hand held fire extinguisher -- that's not acceptable.

Brian

This is no longer the B-mode at DL, at least with F! 2.0. It still is at WDW like y'all noted.

It's now all projections with Mickey shooting his pyro hands at said-dragon projection (kinda lame imo).
View attachment 711979
View attachment 711980

They can always revert to the Malificient on the lift as a B-mode, but not sure how much work it would be to reprogram that segment of the show.

So they even found a way to make a B mode worse?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom