Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

gerarar

Premium Member
It won’t be. People are overreacting just a tad.

Disney will investigate, try and figure out what exactly went wrong, ensure similar effects don’t have the same issue, and fire will return.

I also expect a new dragon will come, the question is will it be an exact copy made by Garner Holt? A new 2.0. design based on new AA technology? Something completely different?
If a new budget is allocated to the show, hopefully some also gets put towards restoring the fountains to their full glory.

The state of things with the show (even before this fire incident) was already eek.

Movielover

Some additional photos of the area now -

7e455e00-d3da-45cd-8777-6671f0ade9ef_text.gif

CaptinEO

They have it ready to go. It ran in B mode for months in 2010 after Snap (renamed that year) lived up to his name.

More concerning would be damage to the stage and underneath it, as evidenced by burning items dripping into the pit. But at least a new model should mean WDI won’t over program it again beyond the manufacturers specifications.
I'd argue that 50% of the time I've seen Fantasmic it is all screens no dragon. Seems like the B mode is pretty common.

Dizknee_Phreek

Omg 😭💔 poor girl.
I never saw DL's F! the one time I visited in 2019. In fact, I'm pretty sure this incident is the first time I've seen any pictures or videos of the dragon. But I'm still gutted by this loss. What an absolutely beautiful and impressive animatronic she was. I'm just glad no cast or crew were seriously injured or killed. This could have easily ended up being far more tragic than it was.

Figments Friend

This is very sad to hear about, and the imagery is downright disturbing and quite depressing for me personally.

Very, very sad that ‘Murphy’ was destroyed.
This was an amazing and integral part of the Show, and this unique element is likely gone forever now.
She was incredible to see in person.
Glad I saw her many, many times in action at the Park.

Seriously doubt Disneyland will pay to have a replacement built in a similar scale and complexity, but then again perhaps they might.
Have the sinking feeling…no….it will not happen….cuz’…$$$$$$$.
But I would like to think that they will do the right thing and REBUILD in some form.
Sorry, projections don’t cut it.
Of course modifications will be made, and things will be different.
Would be interesting to hear if Garner Holt has been contacted about this by Disney or if any preliminary talks have begun.
PM me is you don’t want to discuss publically.
😉

This is just so sad…loved that dragon!

Other random thoughts at the news….

Also very disturbing to hear the behavior of people filming some of these video clips.
But each their own.

I also was wondering why there wasn’t more of an effort put into dowsing the flames.
There are some complications here to do so, sure, but just letting the thing flame up and just toast seems like this could have been far worse.

Folks commenting on the one CM with the fire extinguisher -
He may have been trying to keep the flames from spreading across the staging area.
If you watch some of the alternative angle video clips, he directs the extinguisher around the base of the dragon and then the chest area before finally moving away.

Mickey was definitely stunned, and I’m glad nobody was seriously injured.
This could have easily spiraled out of further control and turned into something much worse.
My thoughts are with the Cast who are probably going through some emotional turmoil right now.

-

flynnibus

Premium Member
Apologies if this comes across as insensitive, but stunt performers at the Indiana Jones stunt show have died, which didn’t end the show. A Monorail driver died in a crash, which didn’t end the monorail. Matterhorn has killed multiple people, which didn’t end the ride. Cast members have died on the parade route, which didn’t end parades.
But not today…. The tolerance keeps shrinking and these things are far more high profile in a viral world verse the past.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
But not today…. The tolerance keeps shrinking and these things are far more high profile in a viral world verse the past.
So long as the safety concerns that caused accidents are addressed so that they don’t happen again, there’s no real reason to end something. If they can’t be fixed that’s another story.

It’s why commercial planes are very safe today. We fixed mistakes in manufacturing and maintenance after we learned what went wrong after accidents to prevent disasters from happening in the future, and that approach does work.

I see no problem with greater scrutiny and accountability that social media can bring, but if they fix the issue with a new Murphy that caused this, while also looking at similar effects globally and preventing them there, then it would be unreasonable for someone to say it must end forever.

Phroobar

For something that shoot fires, why didn't the fire suppression systems work? Where there fire suppression systems installed at all? What happens if it spreads to the stage? How do they bring firetrucks into that area while an evacuation is going on?

wtyy21

Wondrous Journey’s, World of Color, and Indiana Jones Adventure possibly.

Fantasmic DHS

Disney Dreams in Paris.

Does Tokyo’s new show at Disney Sea have flames?
Yes, that's Believe sea of Dreams at TDS.

Also Momentous at HKDL during Test in Time chapter.

Nevertheless, the flame effect didn't utilized at Happily Ever After through, either the original or 2023 updated show.

But the most famous usage of flames when regarding of parade is Disney Stars of Parade, also in Paris.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They could install a system like the one below, but they aren’t cheap by any sense of the word, but I’m not necessarily sure a few hoses scattered around the dragon would’ve helped.

The foam would do the trick. Just have hoses throughout the dragon to spew it out on command.

Then dye it red so it looks like Maleficient's gut are splattering everywhere.

Disney Analyst

I would assume there is a fire hose attachment area on the island, just a matter of the fire department coming to hook into it. That photo from last night with the dragon extinguished does show fire hoses on the stage.

Jwhee

I think people are expecting too much with a “fire suppression system”

This show and 1000’s of other shows around the world use fire effects all the time without incident. It is crazy that out of all places this could’ve happened, it was at Disneyland.

How tall is that dragon, 40 feet? Some stage tech with a firehouse would have a hard time putting that out. It’s probably also an insurance and liability issue to have cast members acting as firefighters.

The only major thing I’m surprised about here is that it appears the dragon’s skin was not fire-retardant, it did light up pretty fast.

gerarar

Premium Member
I think people are expecting too much with a “fire suppression system”

This show and 1000’s of other shows around the world use fire effects all the time without incident. It is crazy that out of all places this could’ve happened, it was at Disneyland.

How tall is that dragon, 40 feet? Some stage tech with a firehouse would have a hard time putting that out. It’s probably also an insurance and liability issue to have cast members acting as firefighters.

The only major thing I’m surprised about here is that it appears the dragon’s skin was not fire-retardant, it did light up pretty fast.
According to some on Reddit (that work/ed the show), the CMs seen trying to put out the fire initially were DFD. There's one of them on each side of the stage.

(also excuse my downvotes lol)
Screenshot_20230423_172146_Reddit.jpg

Brian

It’s probably also an insurance and liability issue to have cast members acting as firefighters.
Disneyland has its own private firefighters servicing the resort. Not only that, but Disney is self-insured for workers' compensation, so it's not really an issue.

Edit: Just saw @gerarar's post above. Assuming the guys we saw in the videos with the fire extinguishers shortly after the show's e-stop were in fact part of the Disneyland Fire Dept., they should probably invest in some better training, because of what the quoted Reddit poster said.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I think it is fire-retardant, but as someone else mentioned earlier, that doesn’t mean fire proof.

Would Mickey’s sparks or the pyro light it up? Nope. Would a brief moment of flame hitting it light it up? No.

Would flammable hydraulic fluid pouring on it with active flames pouring down light it up? Absolutely.

I actually have a feeling the fire may have spread into the lines, which is why you see it sort of light up inside out and be fully engulfed very quickly.

TP2000

It took at least 8 minutes of a giant fire on the stage for the cast members to begin evacuating guests from the area. (This is based on a video from someone standing on the HMH side. The video didn't pick up audio or video of evacuation until about 8 minutes post-incident. Maybe it was faster on the other side? If so, I'm still not comforted by this.)

My knee-jerk reaction is that this is a failure of management on all levels. Yes, I know "things happen", but for a show containing fire, the response here seems lacking.

I understand your concern, and it's actually something I thought of once or twice while packed like sardines into a Fantastmic! crowd of thousands with my young nephews. But I remember my thought being "What do I do here if there's an earthquake and people panic?" I'd never thought of a fire, until now.

Because the entire Fantasmic! viewing area is a sea of humanity, thousands of whom are sitting on the ground with no immediate access to exit routes. It's entirely unlike a theater setup, like the Hyperion or even Mr. Lincoln or Tiki Room with dedicated aisles and exit paths. It's just a giant blob of thousands of people, with at least two thousand of them sitting on the ground with nowhere to go for at least 5 minutes until the backside of the crowd disperses and clears the way for them.

If anything, it might be time to seriously reconsider how to evacuate the 2,000+ people along the lower tier of the Fantastmic! viewing area. Where would these people have gone had the dragon started shooting flaming liquid on them instead of on the stage?

20747885_10155582031562726_16376826_o.jpg

Dream+Suite+Roger-118.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom