News Disneyland Cancels Its Annual Pass Program - Theme Park Insider & OC Register

George Lucas on a Bench

The anti-AP sentiments in this thread are obviously coming from jealousy when you get down to it. The reality is, people who live nearer to Disney Parks™ with APs get to (or got to) go all the time for a good value and you didn't. And furthermore, it's also reality that AP business in the state of California was more than likely the majority of DLR's business. All you had to do was visit the parks on days when APs were blocked and there were about as many people there as Galaxy's Edge opening summer.

To continue on with reality, pure unbiased un-jealous reality, Disney would prefer the parks crowded with APs and making a killing with food and shopping (Look at the majority of events in recent history, which are all focused on selling food, booze and merchandise--absolutely not appealing to tourists in any way--they didn't care about your business) than empty parks with a few tourists who paid for entry that day.

mickEblu

The anti-AP sentiments in this thread are obviously coming from jealousy. The reality is, people who live nearer to Disney Parks™ with APs get to (or got to) go all the time for a good value and you didn't. And furthermore, it's also reality that AP business in the state of California was more than likely the majority of DLR's business. All you had to do was visit the parks on days when APs were blocked and there were about as many people there as Galaxy's Edge opening summer. To continue on with reality, pure unbiased un-jealous reality, Disney would prefer the parks crowded with APs and making a killing with food and shopping (Look at the majority of events in recent history, which are all focused on selling food, booze and merchandise--absolutely not appealing to tourists in any way) than empty parks with a few tourists who paid for entry that day.

Yup. It’s hard for me to believe that someone who found their way to the Disneyland fan forum on WDW magic wouldn’t be an AP if they lived in the area.

George Lucas on a Bench

Once again, look at all events Disneyland was holding prior to the Wuhan Virus. Absolutely none of them were aimed at drawing in tourists. They knew the vast majority of their business was coming from APs. Who's going to travel to Disneyland California for limited edition food items and popcorn buckets aside from some nutty vloggers? Very few people were planning vacations to see Pixar Pier and the latest attraction overlay. APs were driving their business.

castleparker

Now it’s starting to make more sense. Context is everything. Is he just making an educated guess or is he saying he has some info?
He frames it as an educated guess as far as the flex pass goes. I would quote him here but I don't know if I could based on this forum's thoughts on the site that shall not be named.

mickEblu

The anti-AP sentiments in this thread are obviously coming from jealousy when you get down to it. The reality is, people who live nearer to Disney Parks™ with APs get to (or got to) go all the time for a good value and you didn't. And furthermore, it's also reality that AP business in the state of California was more than likely the majority of DLR's business. All you had to do was visit the parks on days when APs were blocked and there were about as many people there as Galaxy's Edge opening summer.

To continue on with reality, pure unbiased un-jealous reality, Disney would prefer the parks crowded with APs and making a killing with food and shopping (Look at the majority of events in recent history, which are all focused on selling food, booze and merchandise--absolutely not appealing to tourists in any way--they didn't care about your business) than empty parks with a few tourists who paid for entry that day.

Also people are kind of assuming Disney wanted to get rid of APs and are using Covid as an excuse. They didn’t want to get rid of APs. They wanted to tweak the entire program to control capacity amd will probably roll out some tiered flex pass system for the long term. Covid just made them press the reset button faster and as an added benefit they don’t have to worry about all those people who were grandfathered into old perks. “Sorry guys it was out of our hands, we didn’t want to do this. It was Covid and Sacramento.”

Wendy Pleakley

Arguments for and against annual passes are not necessarily based on jealousy. That's just your opinion, and a convenient way to dismiss those arguments without actually addressing the points being made.

Disney would prefer the parks be filled with people paying full ticket price. APs, like any discount program anywhere, are generally used to fill the "empty" space once they sell as many regular priced tickets as possible.

A membership type program makes sense. It keeps bringing in the locals on "slow" days at a discounted rate, to buy food and merch, while cutting down on the people who come every other day or just for a few hours, and take up space with minimal benefit.

It's been on ongoing issue, where full price ticket holders are feeling burned because the parks are extremely crowded with other people paying next to nothing to get in. It's not fair to those customers. Discounts for locals will always be a thing, but hopefully they'll find a balance where everyone gets fair value for what they pay.

Wendy Pleakley

Almost forgot, those of us living in So Cal deal with a lot of BS. Extremely high cost of living, insane real estate prices and high rent. Traffic everywhere. I’m really not a shedding a tear about the fact that the person traveling from their $300,000 estate/ mansion is upset that Disneyland is too crowded when they get there. My whole life is too crowded. Let “me” have my Disneyland AP perk.

Ok I’m not necessarily speaking for myself here but for all APs. To be honest I’d be ok with a program where I paid the same as I was paying for my AP with less access so long as those visits are higher quality and aren’t as crowded. Of course, that is no guarantee and we just might end up paying the same or more for the same experience we had before.

Lots of people deal with those things and aren't entitled to have unlimited access to a world class theme park any more than you do.

Even if Disney got rid of discounts for locals completely, if you live in the area you could still go to Disneyland a dozen times a year, and pay less than the family who has to travel to do so.

Curious Constance

He frames it as an educated guess as far as the flex pass goes. I would quote him here but I don't know if I could based on this forum's thoughts on the site that shall not be named.
He also mentioned in the podcast that he felt this would have occurred even if the Pandemic never happened, and had a good point that it could even have a positive impact on ticket prices. If the parks aren’t filled to the stretching point anymore with people that already paid drastically less to be there, you can afford to lower tickets overall and still come out ahead. Then everyone benefits. Locals and tourists both.

Curious Constance

Yup. It’s hard for me to believe that someone who found their way to the Disneyland fan forum on WDW magic wouldn’t be an AP if they lived in the area.
As much as I love going to Disneyland, and look forward to the time when we can go back again, if I was local I can pretty much guarantee I would not be an AP. I would go more often than we do now of course, but still probably not near enough to make an AP worth the cost. Maybe twice a year on special occasions. I can see us making frequent trips to shop or dine at DTD to get our little Disney fix, but I wouldn’t ever want the parks to get to the point where it’s not as fun and special as it is now for us.

mickEblu

As much as I love going to Disneyland, and look forward to the time when we can go back again, if I was local I can pretty much guarantee I would not be an AP. I would go more often than we do now of course, but still probably not near enough to make an AP worth the cost. Maybe twice a year on special occasions. I can see us making frequent trips to shop or dine at DTD to get our little Disney fix, but I wouldn’t ever want the parks to get to the point where it’s not as fun and special as it is now for us.

Yeah that’s what you say now. Lol. Depending on which AP, 2-3 visits a year could already make the AP worth it since day ticket prices were so high. Of course that was all by design.

Is this more fair? If someone is on a Disneyland fan forum everyday AND grew up in Southern California they would most likely be an AP at some point. Although I still think a lot of the people whining from other states would be an AP in a second if it made sense for them

Last edited:

mickEblu

Lots of people deal with those things and aren't entitled to have unlimited access to a world class theme park any more than you do.

Even if Disney got rid of discounts for locals completely, if you live in the area you could still go to Disneyland a dozen times a year, and pay less than the family who has to travel to do so.

What about my first post where I actually replied to you. I’m guessing you like those points?

HairyChest

This is exactly why the AP program has been a beast Disney can't control. So many people live and breath Disney, even living in a certain area because of a theme park. It's obsession mixed with a large dose of entitlement.

As someone who visits a Disney park once a year at most, and has to spend a decent chunk of change to do so, I have zero sympathy for the locals who insist they be allowed to visit as often as they want at a low low price that works for them. It's so ridiculous.

Some people save for years to go to Disneyland. For many, it's a once in a lifetime trip. Yet people who might not be able to go every weekend are angry. Get some perspective.
Because you spend a decent chunk of change you feel zero sympathy? Sounds like you dont think its worth it yet you've spent the money to go. You need some perspective and shouldve made better decisions. And because people spend years to save and come as tourists I dont have the right to be angry they are taking the pass away? Think abit more about your arguments.
Its not that locals cant go anymore, its that Disney is saying you can come as much as you always did you just have to buy a ticket everytime to do so. So if I was rich and gave Disney more money, the crowding thats been bothering you wouldnt change.

Californian Elitist

This is exactly why the AP program has been a beast Disney can't control. So many people live and breath Disney, even living in a certain area because of a theme park. It's obsession mixed with a large dose of entitlement.

As someone who visits a Disney park once a year at most, and has to spend a decent chunk of change to do so, I have zero sympathy for the locals who insist they be allowed to visit as often as they want at a low low price that works for them. It's so ridiculous.

Some people save for years to go to Disneyland. For many, it's a once in a lifetime trip. Yet people who might not be able to go every weekend are angry. Get some perspective.
I agree that some Disney fans are out of control, but annual passholders should not be required to have sympathy for those who are not. Same vice versa.

I live in Los Angeles. If I decide to buy a DLR AP and use it the way I want, that’s what I’m going to do because Disney allows me to do so. If I decide I want to get dinner at Plaza Inn and get on a few rides at 5 pm, I’m going to make the journey and do that because I paid for the right to do that. It’s true that others live further away and have to spend extra money to visit the parks. However, that’s not the fault of locals/annual passholders. No one is thinking about other guests as they plan their trip or spontaneously show up.

Curious Constance

Yeah that’s what you say now. Lol. Depending on which AP, 2-3 visits a year could already make the AP worth it since day ticket prices were so high. Of course that was all by design.

Is this more fair? If someone is on a Disneyland fan forum everyday AND grew up in Southern California they would most likely be an AP at some point. Although I still think a lot of the people whining from other states would be an AP in a second if it made sense for them
Mickeblu do not question my resolve! I wouldn’t go no matter what because I’d never want it to become like Target. Mickeblu when I first started going there, I’d get goosebumps when drinking in the intoxicating aroma. Now when I go in, I barely even register the smell!!!!!

el_super

That's just your opinion, and a convenient way to dismiss those arguments without actually addressing the points being made.

That's kind of his thing...

Disney would prefer the parks be filled with people paying full ticket price. APs, like any discount program anywhere, are generally used to fill the "empty" space once they sell as many regular priced tickets as possible.

Yep. Exactly this.

It's been on ongoing issue, where full price ticket holders are feeling burned because the parks are extremely crowded with other people paying next to nothing to get in.

Yes, which is why they started restricting the sale of APs and raised prices.

It is always about maximising the amount of money earned by people coming into the park. Whether they hold a little plastic card or not is irrelevant.

el_super

So if I was rich and gave Disney more money, the crowding thats been bothering you wouldnt change.

Fewer people will visit if the price/effort to enter is higher. I don't think it will just be a price increase, but also a reservation system that will prevent some people from going. No more spur of the moment trips.

I don't think there is any just mechanism for telling some group of people they have to make fewer visits, other than price increases.

StarWarsGirl

I think you could also use a bit of perspective. This comment isn’t just directed at you but those who share your feelings. First I would direct your anger towards Disney for offering and milking the program to death, not those taking advantage of it. Next, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that almost every single person that complains about APs AND is on an obscure Disneyland fan forum would be an AP if they lived in the area. Lastly, APs come in all shapes and sizes. Some May feel entitled but some do not. Some go to the parks 4 times a week and some go once a month or way less than that. Some spend very little money per visit. Some spend a lot.
I definitely would.

But considering I have a season pass to a different park locally, I know I'd be there maybe once or twice a month, not nearly as much as some DL APs are.

StarWarsGirl

From reading Dusty's comments below the podcast it seems that this is something Disney is going to do while the Covid restrictions are in place. He brings up the possibility that something similar to the Flex Pass would be introduced after the parks return to normal operation.
Which would make sense because right now for WDW APs, unless you have a linked hotel reservation, you can't book more than three days at a time on your AP, and up until recently you couldn't park hop, so if you were local, you wouldn't be getting your money out of it (the only reason I still have mine is because I'm not local). At least this way if you buy a five day pass, you should be able to book five days on the pass whenever it reopens (selfishly I hope that's by May...)

J4546

Me and my gf are AP holders. We got APs when we moved here 2 years ago and She would go to DL/CA at least 2 times a month with her friends, Id go 1 time at least per month. Now that AP is done, we prob will go 1 time a year because of cost, and if theres no park hopping...well we prob wont go at all. Hopefully things get back to normal in the next year or 2 but if not, theres always knotts and Universal. (she works at Universal so we get in free)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom