News Disneyland Cancels Its Annual Pass Program - Theme Park Insider & OC Register

Anjin

Original Poster
The Disneyland Resort is "sunsetting" its annual pass program, canceling all annual passes effective immediately.

Disneyland and Disney California Adventure have been closed since March due to the pandemic, so no one has been using their AP for the past 10 months anyway. While many passholders have seen their passes expire during the closure, those people who chose to have their passes extended or did not reach their expiration dates now will be getting pro-rated refunds, resort officials said today. Passholders will be able to check their refund amount at Disneyland.com/PassportRefund.

Darkbeer1

Disney just got a gift they like in all the lumps of coal.

Disneyland cancels annual passholder program – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>A new Disneyland membership program will be unveiled at a later date — presumably after Disneyland and Disney California Adventure reopen.

“Due to the continued uncertainty of the pandemic and limitations around the reopening of our California theme parks, we will be issuing appropriate refunds for eligible Disneyland resort Annual Passports and sunsetting the current program,” Disneyland resort president Ken Potrock said in a statement. “We are currently developing new membership offerings that will utilize consumer insights to deliver choice, flexibility and value for our biggest fans.”<<

>>The annual passholder cancellation announcement is expected to send shockwaves through the loyal Disneyland fan base that has used the membership program for nearly four decades.

“I know that sunsetting the Annual Passport program will be disappointing to many of our passholders who are just as anxious as we are to reopen our gates and welcome guests back when the time is right,” Potrock said in a letter to passholders. “But we are also very excited about what’s ahead. We plan to use this time while we remain closed to develop new membership offerings that will utilize consumer insights to deliver choice, flexibility and value for our biggest fans.”<<

A chance to totally change the rules, and options....

And for Knott's to gain further market share.

Wendy Pleakley

1610660519644.png

Nirya

I am fascinated by what their plan is here.

We've talked in the past about how the AP program was a devil's bargain for the DLR, as it provided a steady source of income for the "locals park", but it also created the entitled "AP culture" that has been a source of frustration for the company. In order for this to work, This could be a good thing....IF the options make sense. My guess is that they'll offer something closer to the Flex Pass going forward, where you have to reserve days that you want to go in advance, but if the single-day costs don't also come down as a result, my guess is they'll see massive losses as people just don't show up.

mickEblu

I am fascinated by what their plan is here.

We've talked in the past about how the AP program was a devil's bargain for the DLR, as it provided a steady source of income for the "locals park", but it also created the entitled "AP culture" that has been a source of frustration for the company. In order for this to work, This could be a good thing....IF the options make sense. My guess is that they'll offer something closer to the Flex Pass going forward, where you have to reserve days that you want to go in advance, but if the single-day costs don't also come down as a result, my guess is they'll see massive losses as people just don't show up.

I can see different tiers of “flex passes” possibly with capped visits per year.

DrAlice

"We want to make sure that we're creating a program that's understandable," Potrock said. "But at the same time delivers on great value - not just clicks at the turnstile but other benefits that bring value, whether those benefits are parking or discounts or many other things."

Super curious to see what they come up with.

mickEblu

"We want to make sure that we're creating a program that's understandable," Potrock said. "But at the same time delivers on great value - not just clicks at the turnstile but other benefits that bring value, whether those benefits are parking or discounts or many other things."

Super curious to see what they come up with.

I think what they come up with May be better for someone like me that was visiting 15-20 times a year. I’m more than fine paying the same or less for less access but higher quality visits. Been saying it for years.

DrAlice

I think what they come up with May be better for someone like me that was visiting 15-20 times a year. I’m more than fine paying the same or less for less access but higher quality visits. Been saying it for years.
As an out-of-towner that's never had an AP, I'm all for killing the current program IF it results in a program that leads to lighter crowds. I realize that's a big if.

I feel for all of you that will have to re-think your DL experience. Also, I wonder what will happen to guests like Peter Tu. He's just as much a part of the DL experience as anything else.

mickEblu

As an out-of-towner that's never had an AP, I'm all for killing the current program IF it results in a program that leads to lighter crowds. I realize that's a big if.

I feel for all of you that will have to re-think your DL experience. Also, I wonder what will happen to guests like Peter Tu. He's just as much a part of the DL experience as anything else.

If they have any decency Peter Tu will be grandfathered into his old pass or get some sort of new VIP pass.

oceanbreeze77

I do think this will be bad for businesses both on property and off.... Disney just screwed restaurants and shops on harbor, even after they all lobbied for disney to open. Many pass holders knew the tricks to keeping a disney trip cheap, those businesses were a big part of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom