News Disneyland Cancels Its Annual Pass Program - Theme Park Insider & OC Register

smooch

I know an APer living in Marina Del Rey who (pre-pandemic) occasionally takes their work laptop down to Disneyland, finds a table at the French Market, and catches up on job tasks. I've never said anything but I think it's weird.
I mean... to each their own but I definitely did think it was strange but never said a word to her. She paid for her AP and if she wants to do her homework at a table in the parks then by all means go ahead if it makes you happy and productive. Personally I don't like doing homework anywhere but in my room, I just feel strange doing it anywhere else, even when I've gone to like Nugget where they have an upstairs seating area where tons of people go to do homework / tutoring I went for a study group once and just feel strange. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous that she was able to do her homework then go ride Pirates and HM as a reward, but like I said before I personally feel like if I had an AP and wanted to reward myself for finishing my work I would just do it at home and drive over afterwards for the evening.

smooch

I remember brining my homework to Disneyland once. I spent a good 12 minutes trying to do it before I admitted to myself that I knew exactly what I was doing and truly had no intention on getting that homework done. Once I was honest with myself, I kindly put my homework in a rented locker and hopped in line for Autopia.

Never again.
I feel like that's what would happen with me. I wouldn't get much done and then tell myself "I'll go ride one thing as a break" and just never go back to doing my work.

HairyChest

THIS IS NOT GOOD. credit to Dusty Sage from micechat.com He just put out a podcast and pretty much said no more annual pass, just a membership where you can buy discounted day tickets. He is very reliable with his information and knows things before announcement so I believe him. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. As a CA resident and passholder, it was a huge part of my life and why I live here. I can’t afford a ticket each week. I doubt most other passholders can either. Only going a few times a year won’t work for those of us that grew up with it. I think Disney is making a HUGE mistake and will see very few passholders buy daytickets, and notenough vacationers come in to Be as profitable as they were with passholders. They will quickly change course once they see how much it’ll hurt their bottom line. Disneyworld is actually cheaper for a tourist then Disneyland because of all the accommodation options and amount of things you can do.

asianway

THIS IS NOT GOOD. credit to Dusty Sage from micechat.com He just put out a podcast and pretty much said no more annual pass, just a membership where you can buy discounted day tickets. He is very reliable with his information and knows things before announcement so I believe him. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. As a CA resident and passholder, it was a huge part of my life and why I live here. I can’t afford a ticket each week. I doubt most other passholders can either. Only going a few times a year won’t work for those of us that grew up with it. I think Disney is making a HUGE mistake and will see very few passholders buy daytickets, and notenough vacationers come in to Be as profitable as they were with passholders. They will quickly change course once they see how much it’ll hurt their bottom line. Disneyworld is actually cheaper for a tourist then Disneyland because of all the accommodation options and amount of things you can do.

Attachments

• 68A7AD1C-AF4D-4A39-99F7-0CB7B76E9F5E.jpeg
    68A7AD1C-AF4D-4A39-99F7-0CB7B76E9F5E.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 67

George Lucas on a Bench

APs would still be around if Disney didn't lose 1+ year of business with ridiculous restrictions on how much business they can do from the California government. When they reopen, they'll only be admitting Galaxy's Edge level crowds and let me tell you, that's nothing. They need to keep making money somehow and also institute a reservation system so they can even guarantee entry. That sounds like crap to me since I don't really like planning a trip to Disneyland, but just sort of picking a day and going.

Californian Elitist

Does this mean you’ll be relocating to another state, or...?

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
I remember bringing my homework to Disneyland once. I spent a good 12 minutes trying to do it before I admitted to myself that I knew exactly what I was doing and truly had no intention on getting that homework done. Once I was honest with myself, I kindly put my homework in a rented locker and hopped in line for Autopia.

Never again.
I considered going UCF. That totally would have happened, just in Epcot. 😂

I've done work at WDW actually, but I have to do it in the hotel room. I can sometimes take it to the balcony, but anywhere else is too distracting. I don't think I'd ever be able to focus someplace as crowded as Disneyland.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
APs would still be around if Disney didn't lose 1+ year of business with ridiculous restrictions on how much business they can do from the California government. When they reopen, they'll only be admitting Galaxy's Edge level crowds and let me tell you, that's nothing. They need to keep making money somehow and also institute a reservation system so they can even guarantee entry. That sounds like crap to me since I don't really like planning a trip to Disneyland, but just sort of picking a day and going.
I live out east and find it absolutely absurd that amusement parks aren't open. I spent more time than ever at Hersheypark, the closest park to where I live where I have a season pass, because it was the safest thing to do during the pandemic, and WDW when I went was doing an even better job with social distancing, sanitation, etc.

mickEblu

It all depends on how much the membership costs and how big the discounts are.

Wendy Pleakley

This is exactly why the AP program has been a beast Disney can't control. So many people live and breath Disney, even living in a certain area because of a theme park. It's obsession mixed with a large dose of entitlement.

As someone who visits a Disney park once a year at most, and has to spend a decent chunk of change to do so, I have zero sympathy for the locals who insist they be allowed to visit as often as they want at a low low price that works for them. It's so ridiculous.

Some people save for years to go to Disneyland. For many, it's a once in a lifetime trip. Yet people who might not be able to go every weekend are angry. Get some perspective.

mickEblu

This is exactly why the AP program has been a beast Disney can't control. So many people live and breath Disney, even living in a certain area because of a theme park. It's obsession mixed with a large dose of entitlement.

As someone who visits a Disney park once a year at most, and has to spend a decent chunk of change to do so, I have zero sympathy for the locals who insist they be allowed to visit as often as they want at a low low price that works for them. It's so ridiculous.

Some people save for years to go to Disneyland. For many, it's a once in a lifetime trip. Yet people who might not be able to go every weekend are angry. Get some perspective.

I think you could also use a bit of perspective. This comment isn’t just directed at you but those who share your feelings. First I would direct your anger towards Disney for offering and milking the program to death, not those taking advantage of it. Next, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that almost every single person that complains about APs AND is on an obscure Disneyland fan forum would be an AP if they lived in the area. Lastly, APs come in all shapes and sizes. Some May feel entitled but some do not. Some go to the parks 4 times a week and some go once a month or way less than that. Some spend very little money per visit. Some spend a lot.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I can’t afford a ticket each week. I doubt most other passholders can either. Only going a few times a year won’t work for those of us that grew up with it. I think Disney is making a HUGE mistake and will see very few passholders buy daytickets, and notenough vacationers come in to Be as profitable as they were with passholders.
Can't see the forest for the trees. The reason not enough vacationers come is because of the stigma of overcrowding due to people like you. Believe me, once word gets out that the locals don't own the park anymore a lot more vacationers will come. Disneyland is for everyone, not just locals.

Hence...

Take it a step further and those people that save up for years or only can go once or twice in a lifetime arrive and can only do like 4 rides because it's so crowded. I feel bad for those people. And the worst part is that those who are crowding the park, who go every week because their per-visit price is pennies on the dollar, don't feel an ounce of pity for them because they feel just as entitled to be there. I am always an advocate for even playing fields.

APs served their purpose for filling in the parks in the early 2000's, but now with exponentially increasing population and limited space, it's time for something different. Something that's fair to all. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Next, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that almost every single person that complains about APs AND is on an obscure Disneyland fan forum would be an AP if they lived in the area.
I won't lie and say it's something I've thought about from time to time. Even considered for a while looking for a job down there so I can be closer and go more often. The thing with me is that I have a personality where I get tired of things quickly if I do them too much and I'm worried that I would get sick of the place and I don't ever want to. So I'm happy with only going once, sometimes twice a year. It gives me something to look forward to.

But that's just me. As you pointed out, everyone is different.

mickEblu

Almost forgot, those of us living in So Cal deal with a lot of BS. Extremely high cost of living, insane real estate prices and high rent. Traffic everywhere. I’m really not a shedding a tear about the fact that the person traveling from their $300,000 estate/ mansion is upset that Disneyland is too crowded when they get there. My whole life is too crowded. Let “me” have my Disneyland AP perk.

Ok I’m not necessarily speaking for myself here but for all APs. To be honest I’d be ok with a program where I paid the same as I was paying for my AP with less access so long as those visits are higher quality and aren’t as crowded. Of course, that is no guarantee and we just might end up paying the same or more for the same experience we had before.

Last edited:

castleparker

From reading Dusty's comments below the podcast it seems that this is something Disney is going to do while the Covid restrictions are in place. He brings up the possibility that something similar to the Flex Pass would be introduced after the parks return to normal operation.

mickEblu

From reading Dusty's comments below the podcast it seems that this is something Disney is going to do while the Covid restrictions are in place. He brings up the possibility that something similar to the Flex Pass would be introduced after the parks return to normal operation.

Now it’s starting to make more sense. Context is everything. Is he just making an educated guess or is he saying he has some info?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom