News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

drizgirl

...Star Wars land?

It was rather light when we were there.

I would think the marvel campus is at least as big of a draw in the current climate
It wasn't initially. But RotR certainly was a big draw. And will likely continue to be. Remember, the park hasn't been open very long with both attractions open.

Marvel Campus would be grand. Is it going to be open when the park reopens with their new attendance issues?

drizgirl

My friends and I have APs and our average daily spending is probably $100 per person... between coffees, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and merch it’s almost impossible to spend less than $100 at Disneyland. Half our trips we’ll probably spend $75 each on food and drinks on dinner alone at Lamplight or in the Grand Californian.
That doesn't mean you are typical. When we are there we always see lots of people with snacks from the pantry at home in their bags. Gallon size jugs of juice and paper cups. Full size boxes of crackers. Half eaten full size packages or oreos. That sort of thing.

I'm sure Disney has the numbers. Maybe Disney wants people spending what you're spending PLUS buying a full price ticket.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It wasn't initially. But RotR certainly was a big draw. And will likely continue to be. Remember, the park hasn't been open very long with both attractions open.

Marvel Campus would be grand. Is it going to be open when the park reopens with their new attendance issues?

No...it will likely be delayed...but still more relevant in the current entertainment client. Marvel has a lot in the tank right now and Star Wars has exactly 1 hit in the last 5 years.

Hopefully they eliminate all the cheap passes and move forward with something that is only in the $1500+ range and requires full payment. Too many poors were allowed in and it gummed everything up for the rest of us. Disneyland should always feel more exclusive than it has recently, and I hope this is the first step in bringing that feeling back.
Absolutely not. Disneyland should be a place for all. And you're disgusting to say the phrase "many poors were allowed in" and "who's the rest of us" are you referring to the majority of white pass holders? Are the poors minorities? You're a passhole.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Speaking of which, I’m really shocked at the lack of ambition in that project. I would’ve thought they would make a bigger deal of it than Star Wars, given the insane popularity of the MCU, and the restrictions in Florida.

I think it’s more reflective of a draw down in capex. It was coming Anyway and is now just accelerated. I don’t think they were in for Paul g for another overpriced themedom land

mickEblu

I can see them needing to do this. I can't imagine hopping will be offered for a while. Getting people to pay as much for DCA as DL might be a little tricky. I bet they wish more than ever that they had found a way to get Galaxy's Edge into that park instead.

Yeah I guess I keep going back and forth in this discussion between short term and long term. Short term you re right. Long term (or at least when capacity goes back to normal) I think there is the possibility of a DCA only flex pass. When parks first open people will be so happy to be back that they’ll pay the same for a DCA only day... if they can’t score a DL ticket/ reservation. When things go back to normal however, a DCA only experience would need to come at a discount.

Minnesota disney fan

I've never been to DL, but we will be going as soon as the restrictions are lifted there.
I do think that many people make the trek from other states, even in the East, MidWest(us), for a vacation destination.
We know what WDW has to offer, and at this point, that is diminishing all the time. It's uber expensive with continued cutting of experiences. People are getting tired of this. I know we are.
So, before the DME announcement, we had already decided to go to DL this year and visit other sites in California. No more disneyworld for us. Too much has changed, for the worst, IMO.
I can't wait to see DL and experience it.
I don't have an opinion on the AP matter, as I don't know anything about it and haven't been there yet.
But it seems to me that DL was a local's park when it opened, which has outgrown the need for that on disney's part. Just MHO.

Californian Elitist

Except for Club 33. That is reserved for the wealthy, rich, and people of privilege and others cannot come inside to even look around (I have never been inside either). Not agreeing with the "poor" comment but there is some bit of precedent on Disney offering exclusivity of their experiences through capitalism.
Yes, Club 33 is for the wealthy and rich. However, it is not part of the general Disneyland experience.

You're right, there is some level of privilege that allows certain groups of people to visit the DLR. Folks that are living below the poverty line obviously aren't going to the parks. That's with anything though. The usage of the term "poor" is ridiculous and should not be used to describe the plethora of middle-class people visiting the parks.

Vegas Disney Fan

I've never been to DL, but we will be going as soon as the restrictions are lifted there.
I do think that many people make the trek from other states, even in the East, MidWest(us), for a vacation destination.
We know what WDW has to offer, and at this point, that is diminishing all the time. It's uber expensive with continued cutting of experiences. People are getting tired of this. I know we are.
So, before the DME announcement, we had already decided to go to DL this year and visit other sites in California. No more disneyworld for us. Too much has changed, for the worst, IMO.
I can't wait to see DL and experience it.
I don't have an opinion on the AP matter, as I don't know anything about it and haven't been there yet.
But it seems to me that DL was a local's park when it opened, which has outgrown the need for that on disney's part. Just MHO.
I think this must be a matter of familiarity because we are DL regulars and said the opposite when it was announced the APs were being discontinued... we can’t wait to take more WDW trips.

DL and WDW are very different trips, DL is just the 2 parks and a small downtown Disney district, they are amazing parks but outside the parks there’s not much to do unless you want to drive an hour in horrific bumper to bumper traffic. WDW is a vacation where relaxing at the hotels, restaurants, Disney springs, and Disney bubble are half the experience.

Both are amazing but as a DL regular I’d jump on a plane to FL rather than in a car to DL in a heartbeat... familiarity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think this must be a matter of familiarity because we are DL regulars and said the opposite when it was announced the APs were being discontinued... we can’t wait to take more WDW trips.

DL and WDW are very different trips, DL is just the 2 parks and a small downtown Disney district, they are amazing parks but outside the parks there’s not much to do unless you want to drive an hour in horrific bumper to bumper traffic. WDW is a vacation where relaxing at the hotels, restaurants, Disney springs, and Disney bubble are half the experience.

Both are amazing but as a DL regular I’d jump on a plane to FL rather than in a car to DL in a heartbeat... familiarity.

Interested in paying $125 a day for four parks in Orlando on a 9-6 day? And maybe lucky enough $120 for a “special ticketed experiency event” afterward??

Apple and oranges

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Disneyland will probably open sometime this summer and then be at limited capacity well into 2022 (if not 2023), the reality is there is simply no way to accommodate a million (rumored) AP holders with 25% occupancy. This is the only way to avoid years of frustrated and angry APs that paid for unlimited access but aren’t getting it. It may be a few years but I’ll be shocked if APs aren’t back by 2023/2024, they may require a reservation, but aside from a few holidays DL never hits capacity anyway so reservations shouldn’t be a problem.

PS... Why the hate for the vloggers? I live in Nevada and am lucky to make it to DL once a month and WDW once a year, it’s fun to get a bit of Disney news in between trips, isn’t that the exact reason we are all on these forums? I frequently watch fresh baked and Tim tracker, they are entertaining and provide lots of updates.

Why do you think there will be limited capacity well into 2022 and possibly into 2023? Feasibly, vaccines are available to those in the US come Summer 2021. Maybe limited capacity as more of a ramp-up in 2021, but caps should be lifted by the end of 2021. What am I missing?

Too many “poors?” Who is “the rest of us?”

Disneyland was not created to be an exclusive experience for the wealthy and rich and it should never be like that. I guarantee you the commoners will still be making appearances in the park.

🙄

Yeah, this was one of those comments that showed someone's true colors (which would be puke color, FYI).

Vegas Disney Fan

Yes, Club 33 is for the wealthy and rich. However, it is not part of the general Disneyland experience.

You're right, there is some level of privilege that allows certain groups of people to visit the DLR. Folks that are living below the poverty line obviously aren't going to the parks. That's with anything though. The usage of the term "poor" is ridiculous and should not be used to describe the plethora of middle-class people visiting the parks.
I have friends who are members and have gone a few times, the location is a perfect metaphor for the club, you sit up there in luxury looking down on the huddled masses packed in like sardines.

It’s a neat experience, one thing that surprised me is how “normal” and nice everyone is. Rich Disney people act more or less like us lowly Disney peasants, they are still Disney fanatics, they just eat better food and drink better booze.

Vegas Disney Fan

Why do you think there will be limited capacity well into 2022 and possibly into 2023? Feasibly, vaccines are available to those in the US come Summer 2021. Maybe limited capacity as more of a ramp-up
At a million vaccines a day it’s going to take over a year to vaccinate everyone with 2 doses, and something like 30% have said they won’t currently get the vaccine so it’s going to take time to convince them it’s safe.

There’s light at the end of the tunnel, I just think it’s going to take time to reach it.

mickEblu

If anyone is going to Disneyland multiple times per year they re obviously not poor enough.

Your post reminds me, this person better have a Club 33 membership or be on the waiting list because otherwise they probably look poor to those folks. It’s all relative.

I actually find the term “poors” to be kind of funny in a different English language usage kind of way. Kind of like how Murr in Impractical jokers refers to his bald head as “his bald.”

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It's absolutely fascinating seeing how differently TDA has chosen to handle this when compared to Knott's or Six Flags or any other park operator. Didn't Knott's extend everyone's pass a year or something? This move makes me think Disney has zero faith in their Anaheim property for the next year or two.

I have to wonder why they didn't just extend the passes past the end of the reservation period for park attendance. If capacity is severely limited through December 2021, then just allow each pass holder to book x amount of reservations during that time, complimentary, and extend their pass the applicable amount of time after the park gets back to normal. I have to imagine this would have created a tremendous amount of goodwill from their loyal patrons. Park admission has never been their main source of revenue, but instead serves to target different consumer demographics and influence guest behavior in terms of spending/visits. The AP program was incredibly lucrative- it will be back in some form.

Only about half of the Disneyland AP's renew each year. And many, many people buy AP's and don't visit enough to get their money out of it. The idea that AP holders were over running the park visiting every week harassing CM's and acting entitled is a sterotype caused by a fringe few.
Well knott's is done on a season basis not annually. once the season ends, everyone's pass ends and they have to get a new one. maybe Disney is going to change over to something like that.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
At a million vaccines a day it’s going to take over a year to vaccinate everyone with 2 doses, and something like 30% have said they won’t currently get the vaccine so it’s going to take time to convince them it’s safe.

There’s light at the end of the tunnel, I just think it’s going to take time to reach it.

I think that will increase significantly in the upcoming weeks/months.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Just an FYI, they have "real" jobs. She is a nurse and he was doing something in Hollywood (production assistant or some such postion) I believe.

I know that a bunch of people here have disdain and hate on Disney Vloggers for some weird reason, we shouldn't fault someone who try to turn their passion into a career. Most Vloggers do it as a side business, very few actually quit their daily jobs to do it full time. Those that do are actually small business owners, the backbone of this country.

Also if there wasn't a demand for their content they wouldn't exist in the first place.
Vlogging is not a "job" or a "business" it is a hobby they decided to "con" er I mean monetize

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Too many “poors?” Who is “the rest of us?”

Disneyland was not created to be an exclusive experience for the wealthy and rich and it should never be like that. I guarantee you the commoners will still be making appearances in the park.

🙄

Yeah, this was one of those comments that showed someone's true colors (which would be puke color, FYI).

Actually...it was sarcasm. But it is also correct.

Vlogging is not a "job" or a "business" it is a hobby they decided to "con" er I mean monetize

Ohhhhh...thems fighting words

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom