News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

aliceismad

They are not creating content. all their "content" comes from Disney. They are making money off Disney.
Have you seen some of the "content" from Disney? Their website sucks, their blog is meh, and their FAQ sometimes doesn't actually answer questions well. Customer service can also be hit or miss. While I might personally feel like there is an issue with too many kids trying to live through their phones and become influencers, I appreciate the vloggers who take the time to provide quality and/or entertaining information about Disney rides, food, news, etc. Sure, I can get a lot of that information on these forums (the running and moderating of which is another job), but different people are going to appreciate different platforms. If anything these people aren't making money off Disney; they're giving Disney a crapton of free advertising.

Vegas Disney Fan

I've seen a lot of people talk about how entitled APs are. Maybe that's true, but I've never understood why Disney does anything extra for them beyond giving them admission and maybe the sales discount? Why schedule AP only events? Why hand out AP only swag? People talk like APs have been this monkey on their back for years, and yet they were doing all this stuff that was really unnecessary for them. It doesn't add up in my mind.
Disney has always done a lot to entice APs into the parks (to spend money).

Every new AP magnet, AP shirt, AP anything results in a surge in park attendance and likely a huge surge in revenue.

This is why I’ll be shocked if the AP isn’t back within a couple years, it brings a steady stream of fans into the park, and those fans spend a lot of money while there.

Brad Bishop

I wouldn’t go to Disneyland without an AP if I lived in California. That is the fundamental point of an AP program. It wasn’t broke and they can’t fix it. But I don’t think the management is particularly good in strategic planning either.

I’ll tell you that I got way more texts yesterday from my hard traveling “core” of contacts that immediately started getting the torches and pitchforks ready if they can wdw passes.

None of us have any desire to “pay as you go”...the park reinvestment has been so mangled/mismanaged that they parks are not measurably much better than 20 years ago to justify costs already...they also have aging hotels and questionable decisions there as well.

I never thought there was a “breaking point”...but there likely is.

I reached my breaking point 5 years back when I landed on: "This just isn't worth it any longer." At the time they had increased prices for everything and decreased the quality to the point where I went from, "Yeah, it's costly but I still enjoy it," to, "Ok. I'm done."

I went back one time in 2017 because I won some tickets (free). I used to be a APer and would go quite frequently (WDW) but that 2015 (may have been 2014) was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Since then they've had even more guests and done even dumber things which have annoyed Disney fans, still there always folks who still think the Kool-Aid is still ever-so-sweet and will line up and pay whatever the price is.

I'm guessing, outside of those who'll just be "out" now because of the demise of the DL AP program, that most will go back to the "old way" where they'll pay the $125-150 ticket price to enjoy the parks for a day. Maybe they do this once a quarter or once every 6 months or once a year, but that'd be my guess.

Brad Bishop

You're not too far off in your assessment. People living here still love Disneyland and will pay to go. It's just a matter of how much they would be willing to pay to ride attractions they've seen dozens of times already. That's part of the push and pull of the AP program here: they have to discount local admissions, because the locals go all the time and don't want to pay full price to see the same rides over and over again.

They're going to have to up their game, definitely. Disney is "magical" and all that but, if you don't invest in the parks, they will die. WDW is trying to play catchup now and, really, they're catching up to about 10 years back. It's great that they're adding things but they went so long with doing very little that catching up really equates to more than they have going on right now (including the "on hold" (canceled) bits).

Californian Elitist

no. its not. vlogging is not a job. when girl scouts go around selling cookies they are not doing a job. Not to derail the topic of the thread but i want to vent..... vlogging is just taking your personal trip videos of a park you had nothing to do with in its construction, design, or concept and making money off the videos. making videos off someone else's prpoerty and dreams. then you have the nerve to activate "SUPER CHATS" So people can pay you to read their comments. vloggers are a blight upon the world. and a distraction while in the park. and rude.
A Girl Scout is not being paid to sell Thin Mints, Samoas, and Trefoils (the best kind). If a vlogger has a big enough audience, especially on YouTube, they are absolutely getting paid and have a job.

Mouse Trap

How outlandish is it to think this new “membership offering” becomes a multi-year commitment similar to DVC?

$5,000 gets you XX amount of visits each year for 5 years, etc...

Mouse Trap

Disney has always done a lot to entice APs into the parks (to spend money).

Every new AP magnet, AP shirt, AP anything results in a surge in park attendance and likely a huge surge in revenue.

This is why I’ll be shocked if the AP isn’t back within a couple years, it brings a steady stream of fans into the park, and those fans spend a lot of money while there.

This and a few other things such as sizeable discounts on hotel rooms show there was some value to Disney in AP’s. If the 3-4 day ticket crowd was so massive there’d be no reason for Disney to be offering up 25% off to Annual Pass holders who they know won’t be paying admission.

D

Deleted member 107043

Have you seen some of the "content" from Disney? Their website sucks, their blog is meh, and their FAQ sometimes doesn't actually answer questions well.

I think that is a valid point, and as fun as it is to poke fun at v-loggers, there's an information gap that these people have successfully filled.

The unsupervised way Disneyland content creators have flourished across the internet underscores just how poorly Disney Parks has controlled its online messaging and managed influencers. It's remarkable that the best a global media company like Disney can do is lazily run a blog site, and monetize fans through D23 and junk like this and this. There are plenty of good examples of other strong corporate brands who manage their communities far better than Disney.

Mac Tonight

I think that is a valid point, and as fun as it is to poke fun at v-loggers, there's an information gap that these people have successfully filled.

The unsupervised way Disneyland content creators have flourished across the internet underscores just how poorly Disney Parks has controlled its online messaging and managed influencers. It's remarkable that the best a global media company like Disney can do is lazily run a blog site, and monetize fans through D23 and junk like this and this. There are plenty of good examples of other strong corporate brands who manage their communities far better than Disney.
Personally, I think Disney knows their brand loyalty is safe and secure enough to not have to spend "bookoo bucks" on advertising. They can get by with the bare minimum because they don't have to worry about Disneyland falling out of the public's consciousness.
It's only when there is a visible hit on attendance (see summer 2019) that you see the "visit ahora!" campaigns come out. Otherwise, it's business as usual.

Disney Analyst

A Girl Scout is not being paid to sell Thin Mints, Samoas, and Trefoils (the best kind). If a vlogger has a big enough audience, especially on YouTube, they are absolutely getting paid and have a job.

Just piggybacking off of you:

I know many are not fans of vloggers or YouTubers. However, seeing as how there are thousands of people who make a living off Youtube these days, or Instagram, or one of the many content platforms... it certainly can be a job.

Example: The Tracker's (I know many in here do not like them) have been able to quit their jobs, buy a house, own a Tesla, and live a comfortable life strictly off of their YouTube channel and daily vlogs. That is their job. They have close to 825K subscribers.

Now, is the Disney market oversaturated? Sure. Are there many people who are trying to make money off of the brand, but not really getting much out of it? Certainly.

But the disdain by some in here is quite frankly... disturbing.

mickEblu

Disney has been focus group testing and surveying their customers on every tiny thing they do for decades. Anyone who's been an AP knows they send out surveys all the time. What I don't understand is how they're going to rewrite the rules in a way that gives people less for more money and gets people to say that's cool. I guess they're trying to find the sweet spot where they **** off just the right amount of people? I don't get it.

I've seen a lot of people talk about how entitled APs are. Maybe that's true, but I've never understood why Disney does anything extra for them beyond giving them admission and maybe the sales discount? Why schedule AP only events? Why hand out AP only swag? People talk like APs have been this monkey on their back for years, and yet they were doing all this stuff that was really unnecessary for them. It doesn't add up in my mind.

Everything is moving towards the subscription model. Disney+ is practically carrying Disney right now. It's hard for me to believe that they're going to try to push as many people as possible to daily rates. They sound just cancel all perks outside of admission and let the people who feel entitled to more rage quit.

The last few years they haven’t been doing much for APs outside the discounts unless you can’t free buttons and AP magnets.

D

Deleted member 107043

Personally, I think Disney knows their brand loyalty is safe and secure enough to not have to spend "bookoo bucks" on advertising. They can get by with the bare minimum because they don't have to worry about Disneyland falling out of the public's consciousness.

Your assessment of their arrogant thinking is probably accurate in light of how lackadaisical they've been managing their theme park brand within the fan community. That said, if I were running a company with a net worth of $130 billion I would make changes immediately. Ending the Disneyland AP program is a good way to start.

mickEblu

I know many are not fans of vloggers or YouTubers. However, seeing as how there are thousands of people who make a living off Youtube these days, or Instagram, or one of the many content platforms... it certainly can be a job.

Example: The Tracker's (I know many in here do not like them) have been able to quit their jobs, buy a house, own a Tesla, and live a comfortable life strictly off of their YouTube channel and daily vlogs. That is their job. They have close to 825K subscribers.

Now, is the Disney market oversaturated? Sure. Are there many people who are trying to make money off of the brand, but not really getting much out of it? Certainly.

I don’t find it disturbing as much as I find it odd considering how much time we spend here talking about Disneyland and not making any money doing it. I can understand not enjoying the videos or personalities but don’t understand the vitriol for vlogging about Disney parks in general.

Mac Tonight

Your assessment of their arrogant thinking is probably accurate in light of how lackadaisical they've been managing their theme park brand within the fan community. That said, if I were running a company with a net worth of $130 billion I would make changes immediately. Ending the Disneyland AP program is a good way to start.
How desperately do I want to visit Dr. Hans Reinhardt's version of Disneyland??? ;)

But yes, changes are coming and are much needed.

Vegas Disney Fan

The unsupervised way content creators have flourished across the internet underscores just how poorly Disney Parks has controlled its online messaging and managed influencers.
I think Disney loves the vloggers because it provides tons of content for their fans, keeps the parks on their mind, and it doesn’t cost Disney a cent.

They don’t control them but they do influence their content somewhat through freebies like invitations to events, free rooms, etc.
I don’t find it disturbing as much as I find it odd considering how much time we spend here talking about Disneyland and not making any money doing it. I can understand not enjoying the videos or personalities but don’t understand the vitriol for vlogging about Disney parks in general.
Maybe a vlogger bought the last Mickey shaped pretzel and their kid didn’t get one... “Disney is for children, not vloggers, ban all vloggers“ 😂

Disney Analyst

Agreed. It's really bizarre. It is a job, like anything else. I know several content creators that work in different genre's and they work hard. It really consumes every aspect of your life.

I just really am not a fan of demeaning what anyone does to make money, so long as they are abiding by the law.

May not be everyone’s idea of a good time, but doesn’t really matter.

Californian Elitist

In addition, they sometimes also get paid by sponsors to advertise a product.

Personally speaking, I don’t dislike the vloggers. I don’t like them either. They’re free to create content and I don’t have to watch their videos, which I don’t. The same goes for the club members at the park. I don’t know why people don’t like them. They walk around in their groups with matching vests and don’t bother anyone, yet many despise them.

I’m sure the reasons for the hate are insignificant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom