News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

Californian Elitist

Everyone there really wants to be there and isnt just there for a casual hang out.

This is why Disney World is such a different feeling when you talk to other visitors there. Everyone is on vacation.

Also lower crowds due to capacity restrictions.
The casual hangout is most likely not going to change. It will probably never change. Locals will still be flocking to the park, locals who aren’t on vacation. There will also be non-locals there who won’t be on vacation. I met many folks who were from Northern California and even other states who were annual passholders “just visiting” the parks, not on vacation either.

Disneyland will always be generally a casual place to visit for many.

Th3 DUd3

Hasn't everyone realized from this rehab year that they didn't "Need" Disneyland, they "Wanted" Disneyland?

Spend your money on seeing the other places when it comes back to us. The world is a much more exciting place.
If AP's return, it does...the beat goes on.

mickEblu

The casual hangout is most likely not going to change. It will probably never change. Locals will still be flocking to the park, locals who aren’t on vacation. There will also be non-locals there who won’t be on vacation. I met many folks who were from Northern California and even other states who were annual passholders “just visiting” the parks, not on vacation either.

If it’s anything like the Flex Pass system locals will still be able to go as often as they want during the week. It ll just be more difficult to go on multiple weekends a month and holidays.

mickEblu

Hasn't everyone realized from this rehab year that they didn't "Need" Disneyland, they "Wanted" Disneyland?

Spend your money on seeing the other places when it comes back to us. The world is a much more exciting place.

Sadly, I think it did the opposite for me. Didn’t realize how much I needed that visit every 3 weeks. Granted, this isn’t a perfect experiment as I haven’t had access to some of the other stuff I was doing either.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

If it’s anything like the Flex Pass system locals will still be able to go as often as they want during the week. It ll just be more difficult to go on multiple weekends a month and holidays.
Exactly. Maybe the random evening drop-ins will cease, but Disneyland will still be Disneyland. It’s never going to be like WDW.

Californian Elitist

You didn’t catch the protesters over the summer demanding Disneyland re-open?

Many Disneyland guests are scarily and unhealthily obsessed with the parks. They are so much so attached that the thought of not visiting doesn’t make sense to them. I’ve met these types of fans. They’re very interesting.

Some folks like doing the same thing over and over again and have no problem with not exploring and seeing/doing other things. My mother is someone like that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sunsetting??? What the hell does that mean? Did he mean to type the word "ending" and somehow his TDA grammar software turned that into an HR buzzword called "sunsetting"?

I can’t believe you went this far trying to belittle them... frankly it reflected worse on you. It is a super common usage. It is used to convey the idea of allowing something to gently wind down or trail out...verse a harsh stop like you keep suggesting they should have said. It is a play on the old concept “to ride off into the sunset...”

I think this is Disney simply not letting the crisis go to waste in terms of addressing the long standing problem with the AP program. Now they have the perfect situation and calendar opportunity to make that hard break. The only question will be is if they will continue to offer an unlimited use in the new program...my guess is they will and instead use limited availability to throttle the AP load at key times.

I mean... why face telling the customer no... when you can instead lay the blame on others using up all the slots.

Ismael Flores

well my pass ended January 8th. Didn't extend it because i thought the parks would open in the Fall. Then decided i would stop buying a pass since no major investment would probably be done in the next ten years.

It was a good run though, i only went once a month sometimes two but i had my annual pass for 33 years non stop.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

So two things: 1. what about people who have the type of pass that allows them to use it at other parks who since Disneyland is closed have been using that pass instead at Disney World to visit the parks there? Are they going to get refunded even though they are using the pass at another park and are getting usage from it? will they no longer be able to use it as DisneyWorld??

2. This is a good thing. No more vloggers coming in for a hour or two for a popcorn bucket or to ride one ride and leave. They have to pay full price like the rest of us and to get their monies worth they are going to have to stay the whole day. i hope this means less vloggers at the park.

PiratesMansion

This makes sense.

Eliminating APs will greatly simplify reopening when it happens (there was a lot of drama at WDW, and apparently TDR too, when they reopened with APs but heavily prioritized guests with purchased tickets instead of passholders), and they can bring it back when it suits them.

You want to get into Disneyland? Great, buy a ticket. No ticket availability? Too bad, choose another day. First come, first served.

Hopefully in a way that will help ease some of the negatives that came with the AP program and its effects on the parks.

CaptinEO

Im not saying locals wont be the main audience still. I just mean that instead of a family of four visiting 10 times to make their APs worth it, you will have special family trips.

mickEblu

Im not saying locals wont be the main audience still. I just mean that instead of a family of four visiting 10 times to make their APs worth it, you will have special family trips.

I think most of this will still be happening if it’s anything like the flex pass reservation system. Or I could be wrong and Whatever they reintroduce may be nothing like different tiers of flex passes.

CaptinEO

Think of all the fun stories of locals that were regulars of the park back in the 80s. I don't see an issue with this at all. Not getting comped admission makes each trip a little more special.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom