News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

fctiger

Those are more used to gauge what things guests prize - Universal and Knotts have similar things in their surveys - and are designed so that the people analyzing the data can figure out which specific perks are more coveted by guests. Like, if most surveys show that guests favor passes that feature discounted or free parking, then Disney will be likely to include that in their new offering. As-is, it's only a data point of various ideas that the company is willing to consider.

Funny I voted for the free parking in the survey that was sent to me too. I would prefer more block out days as long as that was an option with it. But I agree, it seems to be more about what you are willing to sacrifice along with what you aren't. And most passes you always sacrificed something minus the top pass of course, it just comes down to what people value the most, ie, number of days versus the amount of perks.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It’s too bad Universal Hollywood isn’t on par with Universal Florida. We got “buy a day get a year” APs a few years ago and only used them twice, the Hollywood park just isn’t a realistic alternative to DL, I think Disney needs to be more careful in Florida though, if they go too far Universal Florida is a very valid alternative.
Hollywood is better because its an actual working movie studio. Florida is for tourists, Hollywood is for purists

fctiger

Hollywood is better because its an actual working movie studio. Florida is for tourists, Hollywood is for purists

It is but the issue is at USH once you do the tram tour, the rest of it is just another theme park and that's probably where 90% of people who go really care about. With USO it does feel like a real theme park resort. With two pretty fully themed parks (and a third on the way) and a water park, it really is a place you can go over and over ago. HSH just doesn't have the repeat value. It became more interesting with Harry Potter was added but I still don't think it gets people to go more than several times a year at best.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It is but the issue is at HSH once you do the tram tour, the rest of it is just another theme park and that's probably where 90% of people who go really care about. With HSO it does feel like a real theme park resort. With two pretty fully themed parks (and a third on the way) and a water park, it really is a place you can go over and over ago. HSH just doesn't have the repeat value. It became more interesting with Harry Potter was added but I still don't think it gets people to go more than several times a year at best.
I think it has a lot of repeat value and what makes it exciting is you can see actual movie stars there and may see them film something while on the tram. The fact its a real movie studio gives it something florida will never have

fctiger

I think it has a lot of repeat value and what makes it exciting is you can see actual movie stars there and may see them film something while on the tram. The fact its a real movie studio gives it something florida will never have

I been there about 20 times in my life and I don't think I've ever seen a movie star there lol. But yes, seeing the sets and props are really cool though. But yes that is a great component of the park, no doubt. I just don't think it's enough to keep people coming back and most don't seem like they do unless they live very close.

Last edited:

Tamandua

I did the Backlot tour at Warner Brothers a couple years ago and they showed us a lot of filming locations from things prior to 2010. It seems like very little had been filmed there in recent years. California isn't competitive with states like Georgia when it comes to tax credits for filming, so unless you're a fan of older stuff there's not a whole lot of contemporary stuff to see on these tours.

Californian Elitist

Filming has gotten much more creative since the early 1900s. Filming is not as restricted to lots anymore. It occurs pretty much anywhere, not to mention a single film can have multiple shooting locations all around the country and world.

Nirya

How much stuff do they actually film there these days? Seems like a lot of filming is done out of state these days for tax purposes.

The lot is used more for TV shows these days, since they can build a set and reuse it for filming purposes on a consistent basis. Movies in general are the ones you see being done out of state, and while tax purposes are definitely a thing, it also helps that the way we shoot movies has changed, and there's more focus on either real locations or giant green-screen hubs. The Universal lot isn't really set up for that anymore, and to do so would mean taking out a lot of what makes the backlot unique, so I assume they're rather loathe to change it anymore than they already have.

Vegas Disney Fan

Hollywood is better because its an actual working movie studio. Florida is for tourists, Hollywood is for purists.
The studio tour is the best part (minus the cringeworthy Fast and Furious part) but it only takes an hour out of the day, add Jurassic Park, the Mummy, Harry Potter, and lunch with a butter beer at the three broomsticks and we’ve done our must do list, the new Pets ride looks promising so I’m excited to check that out.

Minions, Simpsons, and Transformers are ok but they make us a bit dizzy so we usually only do 1 per trip, sometimes 2 if we feel ok after the first, we used to avoid them altogether but since they’ve gotten rid of the 3d they are much better for us. Waterworld is enjoyable also but an every other trip show for us.

It‘s a fun half day park for us but we run out of things to do pretty quickly, compared to DL (or USF) where we can easily fill a day or two it just doesn’t compare.

SoCalDisneyLover

It‘s a fun half day park for us but we run out of things to do pretty quickly, compared to DL (or USF) where we can easily fill a day or two it just doesn’t compare.
It's utterly ridiculous to compare USH with DL. You can purchase a $250 Gold AP for USH that lets you in most of the year, and gives you free parking, and the cost is only slightly more than a 1-Day Park Hopper to DL & DCA. If you visit 3 times in a year, and factor in parking, the cost is about $60/visit. DL did not even offer a parking option, unless you had been grandfathered in, but if they had, it would have cost more by itself than the cost of the USH Gold AP.

Sure, you could visit DL every week, and not get bored easily, but at what cost? Right now, with no AP's, you would be looking at $150/day plus $25 for parking each time. 3 visits would run you over $500 to visit 1 park.

choco choco

How much stuff do they actually film there these days? Seems like a lot of filming is done out of state these days for tax purposes.
Mostly TV stuff nowdays. Filmwise a lot has moved to Canada, Georgia and overseas.

LA studios are busier than ever and Hollywood is going through the biggest building boom I think it has ever experienced. It's somewhat true that less film is made here nowadays, and tax breaks may be a big reason for it (in truth, California gives plenty of tax breaks to productions), but it may simply be that streaming has crowded it out.

Those multi-episode, multi-hour streaming series have larger staffs and need longer time to film. Since it would be cost prohibitive to send such large cast and crews out on location to produce an eight to ten hour season, it necessarily means production is better if it stays home as much as possible. Studio and production space has become a premium in LA. EVERY studio I know is expanding rapidly, and new ones are even trying to come online. Not the easiest thing in southern California, where there is basically no more free land.

Studio space needs is also greater because location shooting is becoming more rare. Easier to film in front of a greenscreen and CGI in a background (as many of the terrible, terrible fake looking Disney movies these days do) rather than going out to a real location with real sunlight and wind, that sorta thing.

Rich Brownn

LA studios are busier than ever and Hollywood is going through the biggest building boom I think it has ever experienced. It's somewhat true that less film is made here nowadays, and tax breaks may be a big reason for it (in truth, California gives plenty of tax breaks to productions), but it may simply be that streaming has crowded it out.

Those multi-episode, multi-hour streaming series have larger staffs and need longer time to film. Since it would be cost prohibitive to send such large cast and crews out on location to produce an eight to ten hour season, it necessarily means production is better if it stays home as much as possible. Studio and production space has become a premium in LA. EVERY studio I know is expanding rapidly, and new ones are even trying to come online. Not the easiest thing in southern California, where there is basically no more free land.

Studio space needs is also greater because location shooting is becoming more rare. Easier to film in front of a greenscreen and CGI in a background (as many of the terrible, terrible fake looking Disney movies these days do) rather than going out to a real location with real sunlight and wind, that sorta thing.
One of the largest expansion in studio space is in.... Toronto Canada

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
With the success of the Mandalorian, I foresee more studios moving away from greenscreen and using the StageCraft technology. None of that show was shot on location.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's what Chapek just said about the AP program and Disneyland -

"In terms of park and in terms of the relative profitability, as you know, we have -- there's a lot of negative impacts, of course, with COVID. But one of the things that it gave us a chance to do as we were forced to stop operation was to completely reexamine how we priced and programmed our tickets. And as you all know, we ended our current annual pass program at Disneyland, and that gives us a chance to sort of create a modern version of a park loyalty program, an affinity program that isn't necessarily governed by legacy. And as you know, the net contribution back to the company varies tremendously and was one of the levers that we use to grow yield over the past several years, depending on what type of tickets structure a particular guest came in. With the ability now for us to sort of completely reconsider how we go about our loyalty programs, and our frequent visitor programs, we have the chance to make even more advancements not only in terms of the guest experience and make sure that guests have a tremendous experience no matter what day of the year they come, whether it is a high demand day or a relatively low demand day, but also the ability to increase our per caps and yields, and we've already seen tremendous growth in those, as you're seeing over the last couple quarters. But I don't think we have even scratched the surface in terms of what we can do when we finally restart with some of our programs in terms of making sure, again, that not only do we improve the guest experience, but at the same time get an adequate return to our shareholders for the type of experience that we do give to our guests. So very positive on those factors. "

flynnibus

Premium Member
and that gives us a chance to sort of create a modern version of a park loyalty program, an affinity program that isn't necessarily governed by legacy. And as you know, the net contribution back to the company varies tremendously and was one of the levers that we use to grow yield over the past several years, depending on what type of tickets structure a particular guest came in. With the ability now for us to sort of completely reconsider how we go about our loyalty programs, and our frequent visitor programs

Thank Bob... confirming what we've been saying all along. COVID was the opportunity to break free of their past offerings.

Notice the key words used... loyalty... frequent visitor... what you didn't hear was 'season pass' or 'annual pass'

I still believe they are going to move away from unlimited use and move towards a 'rewards' or 'discount' program where you benefit from spending more, but no more 'unlimited admission is included' except at extreme high end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom