News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With the success of the Mandalorian, I foresee more studios moving away from greenscreen and using the StageCraft technology. None of that show was shot on location.

While Mandalorian wasn't "on location," there were some outdoor shots with giant green screens. But, most was shot in "The Volume."

mickEblu

Thank Bob... confirming what we've been saying all along. COVID was the opportunity to break free of their past offerings.

Notice the key words used... loyalty... frequent visitor... what you didn't hear was 'season pass' or 'annual pass'

I still believe they are going to move away from unlimited use and move towards a 'rewards' or 'discount' program where you benefit from spending more, but no more 'unlimited admission is included' except at extreme high end.

I think they aren’t using the word “annual pass” because it’s kind of misleading to call a “flex pass” that requires reservations with 1/2 of the year blacked out an annual pass. Especially if it’s hard to obtain a reservation or the system is set up to control or limit excessive visits. It may not be called an annual pass anymore but if I can still get 12+ visits in throughout the year (with reservations) at a significant discount I’d still consider it so.

Last edited:

fctiger

I think they aren’t using the word “annual pass” because it’s kind of misleading to call a “flex pass” that requires reservations with 1/2 of the year blacked out an annual pass. Especially if it’s hard to obtain a reservation or the system is set up to control or limit excessive visits. It may not be called an annual pass anymore but if I can still get 12+ visits in throughout the year (with reservations) at a significant discount I’d still consider it so.

Yeah I agree with this as well. I'm frankly onboard with anything DL decides to do, just as long as it can get some of us in the park more than a few times a year. But based on the survey I got and ALL the options, the only real sense I got filling it out was they wanted a pass that made a little more difficult to go anytime you wanted or that it was completely unlimited, but you still can basically go at any time in theory, you are just more restricted.

Maybe there will be more of discount ticket plan which again, I think most of us will be happy with that. That's all Park Hoppers are and people like me have been saying for a long long time now I would buy those if I can just get a few more days added and no expiration dates or at least within a year. Maybe discount the parking (not make it free) and that would suit me fine too since I only go 6-10 times a year with an unlimited pass as it is and live 30 minutes away.

But, as been pointed out PH are not done that way for a reason, because they seem to worry more people will opt for those (especially if they are cheaper) and less APs. Again they want people to go as much as possible.

And frankly I don't see that changing one bit once things gets back to normal and they get capacity up to 100%. Could be wrong but I haven't been in the last 20 years on this point anyway. ;)

But really, if you want to get rid of APs but find ways to get people to come into the park more than once or twice a year, they could've expanded the Park Hopper program eons ago and just turned that into a membership plan, ie, buy a certain amount of tickets for the year and just use them whenever you want. Simple. Done. Many fans will still take that too, right? They still can. so what are we missing?

fctiger

Buy 9 parkhoppers and get the 10th one free.

As an added bonus you can wear your loyalty stamp card on your lanyard when you visit.

Which again they could've done decades ago!! They can do that now. Why haven't they?????

Because it doesn't bring in people like an AP does. Frankly why not just do both?? Give people the chance to purchase an AP or just go the cheaper route and buy a bulk of PH, the only difference is you go a lot less but you can go anytime. Just give both options, I'm personally happy with either and been saying for a long long time now I would prefer that option since I only go a dozen times or less a year now. But I have friends who use to go every week, so that obviously wouldn't suit them.

But give both an option, that seem like it would make a lot of people happy and spread out options in the process.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Maybe they'll go back to the days of the Magic Kingdom Club, Gold Key, etc. Basically buy in, get perks, including discounted admission or bulk purchased admission. Join Diamond and get unlimited uses, but on a controlled calendar, etc.

I'm still thinking that would be their ideal... of course the admission offers can still be lucrative enough that the average person making weekend trips or a few trips a year knows no difference... but it's the one who tries to live in the park that either sees major change, or has to pay out the nose.

I don't think disney is gonna kick out their free social media hoard... they'll have some way to get in.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Maybe they'll go back to the days of the Magic Kingdom Club, Gold Key, etc. Basically buy in, get perks, including discounted admission or bulk purchased admission. Join Diamond and get unlimited uses, but on a controlled calendar, etc.

I'm still thinking that would be their ideal... of course the admission offers can still be lucrative enough that the average person making weekend trips or a few trips a year knows no difference... but it's the one who tries to live in the park that either sees major change, or has to pay out the nose.

I don't think disney is gonna kick out their free social media hoard... they'll have some way to get in.
I can't wait to laugh at all the passholes who are going to be upset when they are not getting the exact same program back but are expecting to.

fctiger

Now I will say this can work IF they let people buy as many discounted tickets as they want. If they offer for example 10 tickets per year for $500 or something. But you can add on more tickets or just another 10 or something. I think that CAN work because it gives you the option of buying less tickets (and less money) BUT the option to keep buying more if you want to go more. And of course that will make Disney plenty of money because many would probably buy 20-30-40 etc a year (if its still feasible to go that often which currently it really isn't). But the great thing is you buy as you go. In many ways I would prefer this too.

Again I really don't see them doing that or at least ONLY that, but if they did, I think it would be fine, at least for now given everything. And yes, it would force people to go a little less when they have to decide if they want to use one of their days or not.

But the only way it COULD work if you are allowed to go whenever you want to go (but maybe they will have different options for that for different prices, etc). I've always said for most people out there, it's not just how often they can go but rather when they can go and the APs reflected that. I only bought the unlimited pass because I usually wanted to go Saturdays or certain holidays. That's the appeal of an AP for most.

fctiger

I can't wait to laugh at all the passholes who are going to be upset when they are not getting the exact same program back but are expecting to.

They said it won't be the same program. Why would anyone think otherwise??? The question is how much of a change it will be. Some think it will be drastic, others think it will be be similar but with more restrictions, like reservations, no unlimited days, etc.. I think both can be right at this point.

I think Disney understands though that these programs are important to both them and their customers, hence why they still exist in EVERY Disney theme park, right? So yes, it will be different, but my guess is it will still be done in a way people can still go often, just maybe not as much as before or as spontaneous as before. And yes probably will have to pay more as well.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

They said it won't be the same program. Why would anyone think otherwise??? The question is how much of a change it will be. Some think it will be drastic, others think it will be be similar but with more restrictions, like reservations, no unlimited days, etc.. I think both can be right at this point.
Have you really not watched any of the neck beard vloggers gloating about how " the annual pass program will return at the end of the year" videos that came out recently when the news was announced the new program would be here by the end of the year? They are ALL expecting to have a program with unlimited visits again. That is why I think that.

fctiger

Have you really not watched any of the neck beard vloggers gloating about how " the annual pass program will return at the end of the year" videos that came out recently when the news was announced the new program would be here by the end of the year? They are ALL expecting to have a program with unlimited visits again. That is why I think that.

No, but I only watch a few of them. But judging by how often the few I have been watching going to the parks several times a week in just the two weeks it's been open it doesn't seem like a lack of an AP is that big of a problem. I'm just shocked how many keep getting in lol. I know FB is just been buying the PH though.

But if some believe that,, then OK. I understand. I was mainly talking about here and other sites like Reddit. Most seems to understand its going to be different and most seem OK with that. It's hard to say until we just see what it is first.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

No, but I only watch a few of them. But judging by how often the few I have been watching going to the parks several times a week in just the two weeks it's been open it doesn't seem like a lack of an AP is that big of a problem. I'm just shocked how many keep getting in lol. I know FB is just been buying the PH though.

But if some believe that,, then OK. I understand. I was mainly talking about here and other sites like Reddit. Most seems to understand its going to be different and most seem OK with that. It's hard to say until we just see what it is first.
Most don't and they complain about having to spend $200 plus for 2 people to get in instead of just flashing their pass. Trust me, many are expecting unlimited visits again or they will be beyond angry. And I will laugh when they don't get that.

fctiger

Most don't and they complain about having to spend $200 plus for 2 people to get in instead of just flashing their pass. Trust me, many are expecting unlimited visits again or they will be beyond angry. And I will laugh when they don't get that.

Well I think that's a common feeling in a lot of places when you had one for decades lol. My friend has had one LITERALLY since the first year APs started and had one every single year until 2020. So it's going to be an adjustment for many. But I think right now, most are just happy to be able to go back to the park. But yes, in 6 months or so, I think attendance is going to be in a different place post-Christmas, hence announcing a new program this year.

And no matter what side you are on, people are going to be angry no matter what! Welcome to being a Disney fan. 🤣

But I think MOST of us will just be happy to get any program back as long as it's reasonable, affordable and gets us in at least 1-2 times a month. If I get into DLR more than twice in 2021, I'm going to chuck that up to a win and move on.

el_super

Which again they could've done decades ago!! They can do that now. Why haven't they?????

I feel compelled to point out that my "9 parkhoppers" theory was mostly just a joke.... mostly.

Now I will say this can work IF they let people buy as many discounted tickets as they want. If they offer for example 10 tickets per year for $500 or something. But you can add on more tickets or just another 10 or something.

The only real issue with this idea is that everything they've been saying indicates that they want to have greater control/flexibility over charging a form of market price for admission. They can't let people pre-pay $500 for 10 visits, and then have those people clog up all the prime Saturdays and Holidays.

A pay-as-you-go method with value set per day, would be a preferable option to having 12 different tiers of Annual Pass with a complex matrix of blockout dates. Even the flex passes didn't offer the options of a market price setup, since the only real options built into the flax pass were "free to go," "reservation required" and "no go."

The app is really the key to managing this. They can sell cheap admission day-of on days when the park is empty and they can drastically raise prices on days when the park is already crowded. Using the app, they could literally set the park admission prices hour-by-hour if they wanted to, and if you understand anything about how theme parks work, you would realize that is a HUGE deal. Want to come in after 4pm for dinner? Maybe you pay $40 for entry. Want to come in after 8pm for fireworks? Maybe you just pay $30?

el_super

To add a weird quirk I just thought of: if you charged a discounted market price for each day, price increases would seem far more stealthy and not attract as much attention as changing the signs at the ticket booths every year usually does.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To add a weird quirk I just thought of: if you charged a discounted market price for each day, price increases would seem far more stealthy and not attract as much attention as changing the signs at the ticket booths every year usually does.

People like predictability - especially in a TOURIST destination. No one likes prices changed under their feet or after plans are in place.

Where you would use this would be to offer limited time promotions... but they do that anyways.

el_super

People like predictability - especially in a TOURIST destination. No one likes prices changed under their feet or after plans are in place.

Where you would use this would be to offer limited time promotions... but they do that anyways.

Right, but I was thinking more along the lines of spur-of-the-moment AP-like visits that aren't planned in advance. The idea that maybe someone will want to visit the park for dinner in the evening without wanting to do much planning.

This scenario wouldn't be much different from airline prices. You can purchase a ticket for a specific day at Disneyland in advanced for a listed price, but the closer that day gets, and the more demand and capacity for that day is understood, the prices can be adjusted. This system would encourage booking far in advance if possible, but still give the flexibility of making a day-of decision.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This scenario wouldn't be much different from airline prices. You can purchase a ticket for a specific day at Disneyland in advanced for a listed price, but the closer that day gets, and the more demand and capacity for that day is understood, the prices can be adjusted. This system would encourage booking far in advance if possible, but still give the flexibility of making a day-of decision.

And try finding anyone who likes airline ticket shopping and experiences... :)

With something as large capacity as the theme park, such dynamic pricing serves to undermine customer sentiment far more than the $$ are worth. Besides, they already have calendar based pricing.

Digital Coupons are an easy ploy to use if Disney moves people to fixed allotments of admissions.

matt9112

cha Ching
From a business standpoint make a lot of sense , as long as it’s more for more , not more for less
Why would it be more for more? Lol that would just be the AP program eith higher prices. They could have just hiked prices to the moon but they didn't. They decided to kill the program. This wasn't because they were searching for extra value for you. You will pay more for less i will bet a paycheck on it.

mickEblu

Why would it be more for more? Lol that would just be the AP program eith higher prices. They could have just hiked prices to the moon but they didn't. They decided to kill the program. This wasn't because they were searching for extra value for you. You will pay more for less i will bet a paycheck on it.

More in this case could just be a higher quality experience with less crowds. As opposed to paying more for less options AND still having to deal with insane crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom