Disneyland 70th Anniversary Thread - Wishlist, Rumors, Speculation, Announcements

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Po8 should be staying. Eudora's not sure. Here's a diagram of the maximum (red), minimum (green), and my guess (blue) of what they're closing. Not certain how far back the shops go into the show buildings, so ignore that partView attachment 789869
Just FYI, I'm not sure how accurate that is based on your "sources", because that goes right into Blue Bayou. Which I'm 100% sure Disney wouldn't be getting rid of for an indoor queue as its the only major upscale table service restaurant Disneyland proper has.

So that means to me, especially if Pieces of Eight is staying, that its only the front corner of the building closest to the ride entrance up to the Royal Courtyard, ie Royal Veranda QSR and the Port Royal Curios and Curiosities shop, that would be used for this indoor queue. And that would make sense given that all the HM merch will go to the new HM giftshop and Pieces of Eight will be exclusive to Pirates merch, as mentioned before. So its not as large of a change as you originally made it seem.

I'm still not a fan overall though.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’d imagine this indoor queue can’t go past Po8. You have the Blue Bayou waiting room in the way too.
Agree, which is why I think its really only losing Royal Veranda QSR and the Port Royal Curios and Curiosities shop. I would still hate to lose them, but not as huge as the poster originally made it seem. Probably due to them not knowing the Disneyland layout very well.

mickEblu

Just FYI, I'm not sure how accurate that is based on your "sources", because that goes right into Blue Bayou. Which I'm 100% sure Disney wouldn't be getting rid of for an indoor queue as its the only major upscale table service restaurant Disneyland proper has.

So that means to me, especially if Pieces of Eight is staying, that its only the front corner of the building closest to the ride entrance up to the Royal Courtyard, ie Royal Veranda QSR and the Port Royal Curios and Curiosities shop, that would be used for this indoor queue. And that would make sense given that all the HM merch will go to the new HM giftshop and Pieces of Eight will be exclusive to Pirates merch, as mentioned before. So its not as large of a change as you originally made it seem.

I’m not a huge fan either. That’s not a very large indoor queue space. So what your’re losing is greater than the small amount of people it’ll get off the walkways. I chock this up as another Lightning Lane loss. It’s not a huge deal but I’ll say if by small chance this does extend all the way to Eudora’s (which I think is highly unlikely) that’ll make NOS start to feel like Galaxies Edge with a bunch of shut doors and windows. No bueno.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m not a huge fan either. That’s not a very large indoor queue space. So what your’re losing is greater than the small amount of people it’ll get off the walkways. I chock this up as another Lightning Lane loss. It’s not a huge deal but I’ll say if by small chance this does extend all the way to Eudora’s (which I think is highly unlikely) that’ll make NOS start to feel like Galaxies Edge with a bunch of shut doors and windows. No bueno.
Although if it is for LL, which would make sense given what I've seen as being hardly ever a long line so they don't need much space. Then it would be that the left side queue goes back to regular standby, which would be good overall in terms of getting guest off the walkways most days. So the merge point for standby/LL would still be at the attraction entrance.

Again still not a fan, but its making more sense when sitting down and thinking it out based on knowing the area layout.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No

This diagram is just a guess. It's not based on info. All I know for sure is what I shared with the small text disclaimers at the bottom

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This diagram is just a guess. It's not based on info. All I know for sure is what I shared with the small text disclaimers at the bottom
Basically take your green circle and cut it in half, that is the area we're talking about. Its not very large in terms of actual space, but still a huge loss in my opinion.

Pirates_indoor_queue.png

mickEblu

Basically take your green circle and cut it in half, that is the area we're talking about. Its not very large in terms of actual space, but still a huge loss in my opinion.

View attachment 789876

This goes to show everyone’s got their thing.

Splash Mountain retheme? Meh
TOT retheme? Blah
Royal Street Verandah? Huge Loss

No judgement here. I just think it’s interesting.

On another note, Royal Street Verandah didn’t open up with NOS did it? It strikes me as an 80’s addition.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This goes to show everyone’s got their thing.

Splash Mountain retheme? Meh
TOT retheme? Blah
Royal Street Verandah? Huge Loss

No judgement here. I just think it’s interesting.

On another note, Royal Street Verandah didn’t open up with NOS did it? It strikes me as an 80’s addition.
Lol, lets be clear I was being very hyperbolic here, its why I just say "I'm not a fan" overall. If you want me to be honest, this doesn't affect me one way or the other in terms of my overall experience. I just think it'll be a loss of a part of the land theming that has been with the land in one form or another since it opened for more queue space. So if you want to call this my "thing", ok. But also know then that I let go of it as its being discussed, ie I go through those emotions of "grief" very quickly.

I believe Royal Street opened with the land, but don't quote me on that.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
1717705763997.png

There's a door into Port Royal from the seating area of Royal Street Veranda and a door from the Courtyard to Po8 (though it's not shown in the drawing), so they can at least go to there, but anything beyond that is the Pirates exit queue and the lobby to Blue Bayou.

White door into Port Royal
1717709158874.png

Other side (blocked by merch)
1717709129947.png

Po8 from Courtyard
1717709091358.png

mickEblu

Lol, lets be clear I was being very hyperbolic here, its why I just say "I'm not a fan" overall. If you want me to be honest, this doesn't affect me one way or the other in terms of my overall experience. I just think it'll be a loss of a part of the land theming that has been with the land in one form or another since it opened for more queue space. So if you want to call this my "thing", ok. But also know then that I let go of it as its being discussed, ie I go through those emotions of "grief" very quickly.

I believe Royal Street opened with the land, but don't quote me on that.

Oh I know. I wasn’t trying to say you were losing any sleep over it or anything. I still think it’s interesting that it got a bigger reaction out of you than some of the other big changes.

TP2000

Original Poster
It isn't that area. I just checked. Can spill the beans.
HERE IT IS:
For the 70th, they're planning to close all of the shops by the exit of Pirates, including Royal St Veranda, and turn it all into extended indoor queue for Pirates

Good! They are gaining the new merchandise square footage near Mansion to make up for losing the shop near Pirates. They can sell chowder in bread bowls anywhere; Cafe Orleans, Harbour Galley, Tiana's Restaurant, etc.

That poor Pirates queue has been hacked apart for decades, and no one at WDI or in TDA would care what it did to the walkways of New Orleans Square. The Pirates queue had its first big chunk taken out of it in 1994 when they took much of it to build the entry tunnel to Indiana Jones. Then in 1999 they took some more of it when they added a long wheelchair ramp to Tarzan's Treehouse in the old queue space. Then around 2010 they took another big chunk out of that queue to build an ADA elevator up to the Dream Suite. There's hardly anything left of Pirates 1967-1994 queue designed to handle huge crowds for a 2,800 riders per hour mega E Ticket.

Which is why New Orleans Square always looks and feels like a FEMA evacuation center at least half the year.

zi0b8o3ou0oy.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
If it was still 1980, or anytime prior to Paul Pressler's destruction of Disneyland circa 1996-2003, and New Orleans Square still had the One Of A Kind Shop in this space, with manageable crowds and delightful little entertainment in the nooks and alleys of New Orleans Square, with no Lightning Lane and friendly and beautifully groomed and attired CM's to serve you, I would be really mad at this change.

CTCT_1969_N14R.jpg

0000874055-1.jpg

2K_OneOfAKindShop.jpg

But that era is long since lost, it's never coming back. And this retail location has sold the same plastic Pirates corporate stuff made in China that is available at the Emporium or World of Disney for decades now. But most of the shelf space has been given over to Haunted Mansion and Haunted Mansion Holiday merch, because that sells better now (to be fixed by HM getting its own gift shop). It's a shell of its former self, and is really just a generic exit gift shop at this point.

They will hardly let you eat at the park now unless you Mobile Order, so they can just set up a Mobile Order window for gumbo and clam chowder elsewhere. There's no point in bemoaning this loss in 2024 because they've cheapened the whole New Orleans Square shopping experience so much in the last 25 years.

Just turn it into queue and be done with it, the merchandise planners in TDA already won this war years ago. :(

truecoat

The Haunted Mansion line changes as well show this. Disney is creating line capacity issues on rides that already had good throughput. Now they have to tear up parts of the park to accommodate it.

You can stand in a shorter or a longer line but you're standing in a line at Disney's new Upcharge City.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom