Disneyland 70th Anniversary Thread - Wishlist, Rumors, Speculation, Announcements

BrianLo

While the fiesta is being work-shopped, it is interesting the 70th is considered also platinum coming off the back of the 100th.

So perhaps "Fiesta" is a positive change for some originality rather than just a Platinum redux.

I actually feel moderately hopeful there will be some money spent on this one. Mostly an intersection on there being money to actually spend right now and nothing actually opening that can be pointed to as an excuse. It seems like WDW is getting an entertainment package next year even without an anniversary. I think this stuff is a given:

1) Fireworks, a World of Color overlay
2) A New night parade or Returning modified Paint the Night parade seem to be on their master planning.
3) Magic Happens is too new and this isn't Tokyo. Though an updated lead float and maybe a new bonus segment / new float seems possible to me.
4) A stage show for Disneyland

Strong possibility?
5) A drone show seems a strong contender as a bonus. Maybe in DCA since DL is going to be slammed.
6) The survey suggests to me that Miguel and Mirabel could be the anniversary ambassadors. Beyond obviously the fab five. A Coco/Encanto stage show(s) of some sort might be the thread.
7) No "new rides" are ready for the anniversary.
8) The autotopia electrification could be passed off as part of this.

Hopes
-I love all the ancillary stuff we got out of the 60th. I think we can certainly see some of that here that would be benchmarked as positives. Toad or Pinocchio upgrades (both pretty please). New Millennium Falcon missions. A new scene in Storybook land. Little ride plusses here and there (give me a few animatronics for Grizzly please and thanks).
-Stuff like the Main Street Emporium windows. Basically just some money spent on some nice to have things that outlast the anniversary.
-One bloody thing for Tomorrowland.

waltography

While I totally expect a new nighttime package resort-wide, it's just baffling to me that Wondrous Journeys is shaping up to have a super-short tenure given how great the show is - it's a damn shame. There's basically no time for it this year (after Together Forever it's Halloween Screams and then Believe in Holiday Magic) so that leaves whatever's left in 2025 before the 70th kicks off.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I'm guessing probably the return of PTN, maybe a new fireworks show, I only say maybe since Wondrous Journeys is still pretty new and considered one of the best fireworks shows of all time. Probably a new World of Color show, hopefully a new show at the Hyperion, new stage show at Fantasyland theater. A drone show definitely seems like a possibility they just have to figure out the no fly zone thing. I would actually really like to see an updated Remember Dreams come true with the newer rides and main Street Projections, basically do what has been done with Pixar.

IMDREW

Not that I want it, but I could see them doing another land overlay like they did with Pixar Pier and San Fransokyo to be able to say a new lands opening. Those have relative quick turnarounds, could be announced at D23 and open somewhere in 25, usually too late for the event they’re supposed to support.

MK-fan

Not that I want it, but I could see them doing another land overlay like they did with Pixar Pier and San Fransokyo to be able to say a new lands opening. Those have relative quick turnarounds, could be announced at D23 and open somewhere in 25, usually too late for the event they’re supposed to support.
Yes and DCA is ripe for the picking with Paradise Gardens park, slap some new IP on there with a meta theme and say it’s a new land.

wtyy21

I don't have many wishlist for Disneyland 70th, but the strong possibility regarding the announcement of DL's 70th is the announcement of the return of Maleficent dragon at Fantasmic (albeit with better fire-supression system) with the return of Evil Queen to Old Hag transformation sequence, the return of PTN parade at DCA, Electrification of Autopia, and update of Magic Happens parade that might possiblity include the castle float.

TP2000

Original Poster
Here is a list of other things I’d like to see...

• Updated Soarin over California leaving out Downtown LA

Disney definitely needs to redo Soarin' Over California. Badly. But why leave out Downtown LA?

Just think how cool a flyby of LA's multiple Tagger Towers would look in HD! And look down below... tents!

240214-los-angeles-graffiti-tower-ew-628p-e78cb4.jpg

MarvelCharacterNerd

^ You don't have to soar over Downtown L.A. to see that. That's the view every time I drive to Disneyland. I think it will be declared the new official state artwork just in time for the Olympics. Half the freeways are already decorated for miles and miles.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Disney definitely needs to redo Soarin' Over California. Badly. But why leave out Downtown LA?

Just think how cool a flyby of LA's multiple Tagger Towers would look in HD! And look down below... tents!

240214-los-angeles-graffiti-tower-ew-628p-e78cb4.jpg

Yeah… I think most people aren’t interested in seeing DTLA. Let’s do a flyby over Skidrow or the fashion district at night. I’d rather see them fly over the Hollywood Bowl or Disney Studios.

TheRealSkull

I think something we need to keep in mind is how special these upcoming anniversaries will be. We just lost Richard Sherman who made an appearance on July 17, 2015, to play Feed the Birds in front of the castle for everyone. Others there that day include many members of the 1955 Mickey Mouse Club who have passed since. Ron Miller (Walt Disney's son in law) has passed, too. Many of the original 1955 Cast Members and Imagineers who were there that day in 2015 are no longer with us, as well.

70 years since 1955 is a tremendous amount of time to spend on this earth, especially for anyone who worked around or was close to Walt Disney and spend a portion of their lifetime working for the company. Whoever significant makes it to Disneyland that day or takes in part celebrating 70 years of Disneyland any time during the anniversary celebration, make sure to take in every moment, as it could be one of the last times we see them enjoying yet another day at Disneyland.

drizgirl

I think something we need to keep in mind is how special these upcoming anniversaries will be. We just lost Richard Sherman who made an appearance on July 17, 2015, to play Feed the Birds in front of the castle for everyone. Others there that day include many members of the 1955 Mickey Mouse Club who have passed since. Ron Miller (Walt Disney's son in law) has passed, too. Many of the original 1955 Cast Members and Imagineers who were there that day in 2015 are no longer with us, as well.

70 years since 1955 is a tremendous amount of time to spend on this earth, especially for anyone who worked around or was close to Walt Disney and spend a portion of their lifetime working for the company. Whoever significant makes it to Disneyland that day or takes in part celebrating 70 years of Disneyland any time during the anniversary celebration, make sure to take in every moment, as it could be one of the last times we see them enjoying yet another day at Disneyland.
The real question is, will Disneyland keep in mind how special these upcoming anniversaries are.

TheRealSkull

Oh they were. I know we are done blaming things on Covid, but that anniversary was fresh out of the pandemic, so I would let that one slide.

As for Disney 100, yes it was underwhelming too, but at least that wasn't a parks anniversary and was more a celebration of the company as a whole, so I would let that one slide too.

Again, don't expect the 70th to be anything too big. If that accomplishes just as much as the 60th did, I think most will be happy. (Unpopular opinion: I would love to see them try for a 24-Hour event again, but I don't see it happening).

But all eyes are on the 75th anniversary. They have to blow it out of the water for that one, just as much as they did for Disneyland's 50th.

TheRealSkull

If there’s not a new Tomorrowland by the 75th Anniversary, WE RIOT!!!!
Honestly there should have been one announced at D23 2019.

eh but then at that point there would have been budget cuts like for EPCOT and we would have gotten something slightly better, but in a few years would need to be updated again...

Honestly I'm okay waiting if that's how it still is.

TP2000

Original Poster
What if for the 70th, Disney finally got away from Traditional anniversary gift themes that are usually gemstones or precious metals, and instead transitioned to the Modern anniversary gift themes that are more practical?

From my handy Hallmark gift guide/calendar for Modern anniversary gift giving...

70th = Desk Sets. Disneyland could have a Desk Set themed anniversary and parade and fireworks! Gen Z would love it.
75th = Textile Furs. Disneyland could dress up all the Characters in luxurious fur coats. Animals wearing animals!
80th = Pearl Jewelry. Disneyland could do a Pearl Diving show in the Rivers of America, like Sea World used to do.
85th = Kitchen Appliances. The synergy opportunities with GE and KitchenAid are endless! And cooking Vlogs!
90th = Leather. There's a different kind of joke there, but I'll take the high road. Maybe Frontierland themed instead?

Seriously, it could work. How much longer are we gonna do gemstones and metals, anyway? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom