Disney world is stale debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinTheGoat

Because you can just take the ice cubes out.
Taking out the ice (in non-free refill cups anyways like WDW now uses) doesn't fix the issue at hand- too much ice and too little soda. You can take out the ice, but it won't magically make the quantity of coke increase. The now incredibly low level of actual soda only makes it ever more obvious that you got ripped off.

I don't drink soda anymore so this particular issue doesn't really affect me (kicked the stuff a good while back due to health reasons, only if there's absolutely nothing else to drink and desperately thirsty will I drink a soda now). But before, my mom and I both learned to ask for no ice when ordering one. That's from a ton of experience with orders shortchanging you by adding too much ice and not enough drink. In most cases the soda is already respectably cold enough without needing ice and ice will only melt and water it down anyways. I completely understand why people would make such a complaint.

I honestly don't know why people complain about lack of development or whatever. They actually have done a lot recently - refurbishments and additions. FP+, which cost an exorbitant amount of money. Lots of executive decisions have been made. I think most people are angry because that don't agree with their decisions. You have to understand that WDW has a budget and 30+ years of development. Whatever they decide to do, they think it's best for WDW and it's advancement. Sure, maintenance isn't what it used to be. Sure, there are foreigners. Sure, there is a big hat in the middle of DHS. But, if you truly wanted to have a good time you wouldn't let those tiny things make you bitter. I'm not insinuating that WDW is anywhere near perfect, but nowhere near what some people make it out to be.

+ You're allowed to complain, just not about stupid things like too many ice cubes in your Coke. If you're upset about a legitimately bad firsthand experience you had, that's quite understandable.
The most lasting and prominent complaints on this site aren't little things like coke. They're of more seriously crippling and totally unacceptable issues such as:

- Major broken ride elements (yeti just to name the most famous but major broken show elements are present all across WDW these days).
- Replacement of attractions with ones that can be fairly argued as objectively inferior (Imagination, Horizons, World of Motion)
- Shuttering of attractions with no replacements at all (Wonders of Life, Imageworks, Diamond Horseshoe)
- Wasteful investments (yes the now $2 billion and rising with no apparent end in sight next gen fiasco instead of real attractions)

Refurbishments have become very hit or miss lately as well. Splash Mountain was a good recent example of a decent one, but with modern Disney management there has come another term- defurb. In the case of Kali River Rapids, a recent refurb found it reopen with fewer effects working than before it closed for rehab. In some cases, taking an attraction down might be more to save money in operating costs than actually fixing much. Or in the case of Maelstrom- partially cleaning up the ride but taking certain shortcuts to hide issues instead of fixing them (like installing black ceiling tiles to hide the black mold that had been growing in the ceiling queue). There are still too few refurbs happening. Spectromagic was going to be rehabbed but they scrapped that plan due to how badly they let the thing rot (now it's destroyed). Tomorrowland is supposed to have some work done at some point but that may have been pushed back (if it doesn't end up getting canceled again). Space Mountain is in desperate need of a full on reworking, more than ever after they had to fit the cars with more braking so they wouldn't put any more strain than necessary on the dilapidated ride structure (that probably needs a complete rebuild by this point).

That being said, little details are important and any even moderately competent imagineer would tell you that. One single problem probably won't dampen the experience, it's when multiple little details begin to grow and accumulate at an alarming rate that it affects the overall picture. Example- one burnt out popcorn light on the Grand Floridian or Main Street USA isn't a huge issue. Especially if WDW maintenance chose to be proactive about it and inspect and change broken bulbs every night. Or better yet do what they did about 20 years ago, change them whenever they reached 80% life expectancy to further decrease the possibilities of guests seeing many broken lights (this is a fact, before Eisner eliminated most of the night crews during the second half of his rule). Regardless, one or two broken bulbs are probably not going to ruin anyone's vacation. But if the neglect piles on to such a severe extent that over a quarter of the lights among strings of multiples of hundreds become burned out (which has actually happened within the past couple of years)- things begin to look incredibly unprofessional and distracting to even regular onlookers (especially for those of us who visited before the mid-late 90's or prior and caught a firsthand look at how the parks used to be managed and improved). Little by little, these small singular details pile on into an enormous heap that disconnects you from the "magic" the parks are supposed to be immersing you in.

The standards often cited on this forum aren't some vague insurmountable peak made up by people here. We didn't set those standards, Disney did, prior to Iger's reign (and even Eisner's reign pre-Frank Wells' death). It is their own standards we are holding them against, not ones we simply fabricated.

It's also prudent to mention that no, the current executives running the company do NOT care about WDW or the parks in the slightest. It has been this way for quite some time now. They have no interest in the theme park business, they view the parks as an annoying hindrance that they have to tolerate in order to sell hotel rooms and time shares. Hence how they have to be forced kicking and screaming to build anything of substance in the parks themselves (and as MM+ has shown, they're always looking into finding ways out of having to invest in real attractions). As has been stated by reputable insiders such as Martin (and WDW1974 may have mentioned this as well), a couple of years ago some of the company heads actually attempted to sell the parks to an outside individual, quite recently in fact (I think it was @marni1971 aka Martin that mentioned 2011 was the recent point in which Iger and his buddies attempted this). Unsuccessfully likely due to the pricetag, but the attempt was made and that says just how much they actually care about the parks.

Last edited:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Or complaining about someone complaining about the ice cube complainer. How far down does this rabbit hole go?!?

inception_totem_gif_by_maecena-d3lmmjz.gif

Matthew Wilkinson

Original Poster
I generally agree with this part of your statement. One correction, they have plenty of space...what they don't have is an unlimited operating budget. Like Universal does you have to cull the herd every now and then and replace an older less popular attraction with an upgrade. When WDW deals so heavily in nostalgia its hard to do this. Someone will get cranky over it. It's unrealistic when people say they should build indefinitely and never close anything. Rides have a cost to operate and maintain so if you want new things something has to give. On the flip side there have been way too many things closed in the last decade or so with no replacement. I have no problem with Snow White closing and Mine Train opening. IMHO it will likely be a better ride and will certainly be more visually stunning. I have no problem with Test Track since it is a better attraction then it's predecessor. Mission Space...not my cup of tea, but I give them credit for effort I guess. When whole pavilions close or even worse are neutered like Imagination (with no benefit for me) then I have a problem.
Yeah I agree with this, think it sums it up pretty well.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I honestly don't know why people complain about lack of development or whatever. They actually have done a lot recently - refurbishments and additions. FP+, which cost an exorbitant amount of money. Lots of executive decisions have been made. I think most people are angry because that don't agree with their decisions. You have to understand that WDW has a budget and 30+ years of development. Whatever they decide to do, they think it's best for WDW and it's advancement. Sure, maintenance isn't what it used to be. Sure, there are foreigners. Sure, there is a big hat in the middle of DHS. But, if you truly wanted to have a good time you wouldn't let those tiny things make you bitter. I'm not insinuating that WDW is anywhere near perfect, but nowhere near what some people make it out to be.

+ You're allowed to complain, just not about stupid things like too many ice cubes in your Coke. If you're upset about a legitimately bad firsthand experience you had, that's quite understandable.

they get every where apparently and do stuff that just aint 'Merican.
but thanks for pointing out the rest it simply hadnt occurred to me.

truly boak inducing

Tommye1078

We just returned last week for a 4 night DCL and 4 night WDW. After our last trip and this trip to WDW we have decided not to return for a unforeseen amount of time and just enjoy DCL. They seem to have the finger on the pulse of their customers.

It wasn't the lack of updates I enjoy riding the same rides over the years, it was the level of service at WDW or lack there of.

wendysue

Not everybody does it. But, some people complain about the tiny or ridiculous things. Or they don't understand the way businesses are run. That's what annoys me.

It should have NOTHING to do with the way businesses run, and everything to do with MY happiness...:D

Funmeister's Delight

I being one of the complainers can tell you this. I complain about the old rides being removed because the quality of a majority of those attractions were much higher than their replacements. On a property as big as WDW there are many cases where demolishing old attractions was not needed, but was done as a way of saving money. Walt Disney World is not just stale because of a lack of new attractions, its stale because it lacks great attractions that you can't find anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom